Reuben Foster - Diluted drug test at NFL combine

AlaskanFAN

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Lance Armstrong used it as a defense for years.  I agree it is still illegal in the athletic arena, but Lance used it as a defense to garner public sympathy for years.

Either way, alot of players do turn to drugs to aid in recovery. Foster just had surgery. It would fit. 

Well after trying to make excuses for the diluted drug test and all the other antics, it appears Mr Foster is not being invited to the draft  link

Heading into the pre-draft process, Reuben Foster’s stock was perceived to be incredibly high by many. There was speculation that San Francisco, current owners of the second overall pick, would even consider taking the former standout Alabama linebacker. However, after a series of pre-draft mistakes, Foster’s stock continues to take one hit after another.

First, it was being sent home from the NFL Combine, which was followed by the news of his diluted urine sample from the combine. According to NFL rules, a diluted test result is registered as a failed drug test.

It’s gotten so bad that Foster has reportedly been told he was not invited to attend Thursday’s first round of the draft, this according to Katherine Terrell of ESPN. It’s unclear when this decision was reportedly made, as Foster’s name was not on the original list of invitees to the draft. While Foster will not be in attendance Thursday, his former head coach Nick Saban and teammates Jonathan Allen and Cam Robinson will be in Philadelphia for the first round of the draft.

According to the report, the reason the NFL has asked Foster not to attend the event stems from his behavior at the combine. Now the big question surrounding Foster leading into the draft is just how far the elite college linebacker will fall.

Foster won the Butkus Award last season after racking up 115 tackles for the Tide’s No. 1 ranked defense. He left Tuscaloosa after registering 211 tackles in his three years of seeing the field for Alabama.

On 4/24/2017 at 7:56 AM, Barnacle said:

My initial thought as well. But, correct me of I'm wrong, hadn't he just come off of a surgery? If so, could have been something to help with recovery. 

If Reuben was taking prescribed medication from his physician as part of his rehab.....there would be no issue. If he was self medicating that's another thing altogethe

4 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

If Reuben was taking prescribed medication from his physician as part of his rehab.....there would be no issue. If he was self medicating that's another thing altogethe

I agree, and that's not what I meant. I meant something not prescribed. 

14 hours ago, auburnphan said:

He hits all the marks for first round busts out of bama

I don't know, you may be right.  Dude has a lot of talent though.  Someone could get a steal here, or he could be the next Rolando McClain.

From the ESPN article:

Foster:

"I don't make excuses. I'm a real dude."

Foster told NFL.com that the positive test came after he tried to rehydrate himself after coming down with what he believed to be food poisoning.

Foster:

"I couldn't eat much, but I had to drink water and Gatorade. Then a few coaches said something about me being too light. And I'm a coach-pleaser. I don't care what everybody thinks, but I care what coaches think."

"So I drank and ate as much as I could without throwing up. Then I went in there, drinking and drinking water, trying to flush out my system from whatever was making me sick and trying to keep my weight up and took the test."

So, who were these "few coaches" who told him he was "too light"? These were NFL coaches at the combine? If so, it would be easy for the NFL to corroborate Foster's story. And it is highly unlikely an NFL coach who knows diluting a drug test is an issue to tell a player who is complaining about food poisoning and who may be dehydrated to pound gallons of water the night before a drug test.

But then again Foster doesn't make excuses. He's a read dude.

Archived