1962 Georgia Tech vs. Auburn

augolf1716

Well I always love seeing us beat tech...................I think I have mention I dislike tech a few times and a big plus is I was at this game. For all the young folks the players weren't as slow as the video shows

cannot seem to get it to show. I will come back soon.

5 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I imagine Coach Jordan was not happy with punt coverage that game. Who was the AU halfback that took it to the house? 

Jimmy Burson                                           

Well...I will never forget that game...was driving back that evening and rear ended a guy in Childrersburg I think it was....bumper to bumper traffic and he slammed on brakes in front of me when someone turned in front of him.....I could not stop in time and hit him doing about 5 miles per hour....did not even wake my brother who was asleep in the back seat.   

We looked at the cars...and my damaged bumper with the Wreck Tech sign pasted on it ....and his truck never even had a scratch.   We shook hands and that was it until I got back to AU...no insurance of course for either one of us I guess.    BUT....I did have to replace the bumper ....found something used and total job was about $300 which was a remarkable coincidence since I had just won that amount the week before in a football picking pool in the Student Union.  

Somewhere I think I still have a picture of the front of my car with that damn Wreck Tech sign on the slightly crushed bumper. Winning the game however seemed to ease the pain back then.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well...I will never forget that game...was driving back that evening and rear ended a guy in Childrersburg I think it was....bumper to bumper traffic and he slammed on brakes in front of me when someone turned in front of him.....I could not stop in time and hit him doing about 5 miles per hour....did not even wake my brother who was asleep in the back seat.   

We looked at the cars...and my damaged bumper with the Wreck Tech sign pasted on it ....and his truck never even had a scratch.   We shook hands and that was it until I got back to AU...no insurance of course for either one of us I guess.    BUT....I did have to replace the bumper ....found something used and total job was about $300 which was a remarkable coincidence since I had just won that amount the week before in a football picking pool in the Student Union.  

Somewhere I think I still have a picture of the front of my car with that damn Wreck Tech sign on the slightly crushed bumper. Winning the game however seemed to ease the pain back then.

Great story 64

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Man, I'd be ecstatic winning $300 today. That was a whole lot of money in '62. Nice story. 

I loved the offense we ran then. It was/is fun to watch. What exact offense was this?  I cannot believe how poor the punt coverage was. I looked as if all 11 of our men had a hand on the runner during the trip down the field till the end zone.

I would like to see this offense come back in style. I would guess that it could cause a lot of defenses trouble preparing for. If you have a very good passer, the offense could churn up a lot of yardage. GT always played us tough and won their share of games. Overall, we were the better of the 2 teams. I would imagine playing them today would be a tough game and one that we would have to fight hard to gain the victory. If GT was in the SEC under their current coaching staff and offense scheme, they would win their share of games and would upset the big boys enough times to make them a dangerous team to play.

They can stay in the ACC forever as far as I am concerned.

On 4/20/2017 at 8:42 PM, augolf1716 said:

Jimmy Burson                                           

I was not at the game but I still have the Bham News clipping from Sunday morning which reads "Tech Wrecked  Auburn for real".

I miss the Wreck Tech parade - notwithstanding that fraternity that paraded in purple stuff that stunk to high Heaven. 

Making Curry's "awesome" GT defenses look foolish - year after year - was beautiful.  

43 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

I miss the Wreck Tech parade - notwithstanding that fraternity that paraded in purple stuff that stunk to high Heaven. 

Making Curry's "awesome" GT defenses look foolish - year after year - was beautiful.  

Older folks may correct me, but 

didn't the tradition derive from clever use of dung?

Archived