Softball vs. South Carolina - game 2

Need to jump on them early and often today.  Starter in the circle for Auburn today is Ashlee Swindle.  Let's get here all the runs she needs to get this win. 

Draper
Cooper
Wallace
Rivera
Shea
Greenwood
Veach
Jordan
McCrackin

Ashlee Swindle

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn wearing white pants and orange tops today.   Let's get this win today.   Draper, Cooper and Wallace getting us started.

Draper drops the bunt to the first base side, throw not in time and gets by the 1st baseman.  Draper holds at 1st.   Kasey Cooper up.

Cooper chops it to the right side, 2nd baseman moves toward 1st to get it and throws to 2nd and the throw is LATE and everybody is safe.  Auburn has runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs for Carlee Wallace.   Wallace hit by a pitch on the 1st pitch and Auburn has the bases loaded.   Rivera coming up.

RIvera chops one to 1st, first baseman charges and Rivera stops running and then backs up.  Umpire immediately calls time and calls Rivera out and puts Draper back on 3rd.  No runners advance.   Shea coming up.  1 out bases loaded.

Just now, WarTiger said:

RIvera chops one to 1st, first baseman charges and Rivera stops running and then backs up.  Umpire immediately calls time and calls Rivera out and puts Draper back on 3rd.  No runners advance.   Shea coming up.  1 out bases loaded.

Any idea what the spirit of that rule is? How is it different than being in a rundown? I know she can't return safe to home, but I don't exactly get the point of making the runners return to their previous base. 

Yuck. Only one run with the bases loaded and no outs. Probably not going to win this one with 2 runs tonight. 

Just now, jared52 said:

Any idea what the spirit of that rule is? How is it different than being in a rundown? I know she can't return safe to home, but I don't exactly get the point of making the runners return to their previous base. 

I think once she backed up, it was basically considered interference. I believe on an interference call the runners are returned to their previous base. 

Just now, WarTiger said:

I think once she backed up, it was basically considered interference. I believe on an interference call the runners are returned to their previous base. 

Yeah, that's what the announcer said but I guess I don't see how it's interference. Oh well, that's the rule and Rivera should know it. 

Swindle sets them down in order in the 1st.   1-0 Auburn after 1.      Jordan, McCrackin and Draper coming up.

5 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Yeah, that's what the announcer said but I guess I don't see how it's interference. Oh well, that's the rule and Rivera should know it. 

I found it in the rule book.

12.28.4 The batter-runner may not step back toward home plate to avoid or
delay a tag by a fielder.
EFFECT—The ball is dead, the batter-runner is out, and each base
runner must return to the base legally occupied at the time of the
pitch.

Draper high chopper to short, bobbled, no chance to get Draper.   Kasey Cooper up.    Come on Kasey.  Drive one of of the park here

bunt single is all south carolina can get.   After 2 complete, Auburn leads 1-0.   Wallace, Rivera and Shea coming up.

Rivera grounds it to the left side, backhanded stop deep behind the 3rd baseman, throw not in time.  Courtney Shea coming up.  Shea pops it up on the infield caught at 2nd.  2 outs.   Greenwood up.

Swindle sets them down in order in the 3rd.   1-0 Auburn.    Veach, Jordan and McCrackin coming up.

Archived