Spotlight on Shifts and Motions

StatTiger

Good stuff, i have been wondering why the departure from the shifts and motions over the past couple of years? This does seem to aide the QB in the options it gives him, meaning this can really help Stidham with his experience in reading defenses.

Been wondering the same thing,when Gus got here in 09 there was a lot of motion and shifting but not as much in the last few years.Was it because of Rhett?

57 minutes ago, kd4au said:

Been wondering the same thing,when Gus got here in 09 there was a lot of motion and shifting but not as much in the last few years.Was it because of Rhett?

I think 2010, 2013 and 2014, it became more about tempo and the combination of a QB who could run and pass. The emphasis on offense became a power running game, combined with tempo. It was no longer about creating space and mismatches on the field by formation, shifts and motions. Though it worked, it made Gus get away from what was successful before with a more pocket oriented passer.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, StatTiger said:

I think 2010, 2013 and 2014, it became more about tempo and the combination of a QB who could run and pass. The emphasis on offense became a power running game, combined with tempo. It was no longer about creating space and mismatches on the field by formation, shifts and motions. Though it worked, it made Gus get away from what was successful before with a more pocket oriented passer.

Agree completely

4 hours ago, StatTiger said:

I know the Sunday after the Jacksonville State game in the film room is when Gus and Rhett realized just how much trouble they were in with their current QB's.  Gus runs a very vanilla passing game and an FCS school easily figured out the scheme locked down  the receivers and dared Jeremy to run it knowing that he couldn't.  Gus made some sort of comment in the film room about how He/the team needed a dual threat guy to keep the defense guessing pass or run and they couldn't do that with the QB's he had recruited.  

Good stuff, Stat! I don't see how anyone can think that the Borges hire isn't a homerun. Al was able to use all of our weapons in 2004 and 2005. This should be a fun offense to watch.

• Like 1

CCL's innovation, coupled with the wisdom and experience of Borges should create a very formidable offense. And we have the talent at all positions to exploit the whole playbook. Coach Steele's defense should be rock solid again and we have the best kicker in college football. Can't wait for kickoff! WDE

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

At this point I think Gus should hire @StatTiger as an analyst.

as if AU could afford such a rock star, when they can get him here for free?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

I know the Sunday after the Jacksonville State game in the film room is when Gus and Rhett realized just how much trouble they were in with their current QB's.  Gus runs a very vanilla passing game and an FCS school easily figured out the scheme locked down  the receivers and dared Jeremy to run it knowing that he couldn't.  Gus made some sort of comment in the film room about how He/the team needed a dual threat guy to keep the defense guessing pass or run and they couldn't do that with the QB's he had recruited.  

Link?

At that time, I don't disagree. Now seemingly, with the hire of CCL, we are less vanilla with the passing schemes and therefore able to utilize a pocket passer in combination with power run and shifts/motions. 

Edited by au_bsci_04
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

No link. I was told that by somebody that was in the film room that day.

If you look at how things played out the last 2 seasons, it makes sense. It would explain John Franklin. It would explain that crap against Clemson last year. It explains a lot. The way Gus Malzahn refused to gameplan around Sean White is one of the worst and most gutless coaching strategies I've ever witnessed. No, I'm not going to let it go just yet. Yes, he's done a lot of things very well and I've given him credit where due. 

• Like 3

What I like about this play is it puts three receivers to one side of the field (the boundary), after initially showing a 2 WR look which shifted to a 1 WR look. That is the shift which will expose the defensive coverage.

The play action is designed to pull boundary side coverage up towards the line of scrimmage. The slant route is designed to pull boundary side coverage towards the field side. The result is there are no defenders covering the flat. I am not sure how much of a real option the slant is. Ryan Davis on the fake sweep becomes the outlet receiver, and is not covered at all.

A possible variation of this play would be for the WR to run a go route to try to pull the CB deep. That would expose the wheel route to the LB, but the wheel route would open up the third receiver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

If you look at how things played out the last 2 seasons, it makes sense. It would explain John Franklin. It would explain that crap against Clemson last year. It explains a lot. The way Gus Malzahn refused to gameplan around Sean White is one of the worst and most gutless coaching strategies I've ever witnessed. No, I'm not going to let it go just yet. Yes, he's done a lot of things very well and I've given him credit where due. 

I was excited about the Gus hire.  Not my number one choice but I did give him all the credit for 2010.  I figured if he could win a NC as just a coordinator what can he accomplish as a HC?  My biggest problem is he has gotten away from the play calling that got him the Auburn OC job and the Auburn HC job.  Everyone has a different reason as to why he has quit running tempo but Gus never actually gave a reason why, he has just stated the need to get back to running tempo.  Then is told to turn the offense over to Rhett and we are magically running tempo again.  Then there is the whole debate that Malzahns offense works best with a dual threat QB.  Now as I posted above, Gus supposedly came to that realization on his own after the JSU game.  However, that asks the question, before 2015 Gus didn't know he needed a DT QB?  The first three high school QB's he recruited as Auburn HC were all pro style guys.  So apparently he didn't know his own system?  Yes he has corrected this with the last two recruiting classes, and yes has done a good job.  I just don't know.  I was 110% behind Gus until 2015.  Gus looked confused, JF3 was a desperation recruit, a Band-Aid on a bullet wound.  Gus responded with the Clemson offense....... and a reasonable explanation has still never been provided by our coach behind that offense.  I have said it before ill say it again, I think Gus bit off more than he can chew.  He probably would have had these same growing pains if he had stayed at Arky St. but that is why Sun Belt programs exist, to go and learn to coach before going to the top programs.  Everyone on this board agrees that Gus is a HC in training.  Question is do you approach this as a glass half empty or a glass half full.  I am sorry, but I haven't enjoyed the last 2 1/2 years of football, I am half empty.  Maybe Gus's growing pains are over.  He and Rhett were FINALLY forced apart.  Gorgeous Borges is back with the team.  The D is respectable and the private QB coaching ban has been lifted (although I suspect influential boosters had more to do with that than CL).  2017 Sink or Swim.  But after Stat Tigers analysis here, I am more optimistic for the season.  I will open a can of worms with this, Stidham, like Cam, Marshal, Todd, and other Gus QB's that have been successful, were not recruited and developed by Gus  out of high school but is a transfer who was coached by someone else at some point at the college level.  In a year or two when Stidham departs, I will be very curious to see how Barrett, Malik, next high school QB develop.  

Edited by ToomersStreet
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

In a year or two when Stidham departs, I will be very curious to see how Barrett, Malik, nest high school QB develop.

Yep.  And that will truly tell the tale of GM's tenure or lack thereof at Auburn.

• Like 2

Responding to @ToomersStreet's post, that really is my question: does Gus genuinely get behind these philosophical changes and- if they work, which of course is the actual first question- embrace them going forward? In the event that another OC comes in and successfully implements some of his own ideas, can Gus really be comfortable with that? Can he be the proverbial CEO? 

I don't think his growing pains are over, not by a long shot. And that I'm genuinely okay with. I'm okay with a coach making an in-game mistake when presented with a unique situation, as long as he learns from it. You're right, we knew that when we hired him. I bet nick saban learned a little bit about long distance field goal attempts in November 2013. There's only one way to get experience. What I can't stomach are personality traits that run counter to success. Those aren't often fixed in a grown person. And what I'm waiting to see is where Gus's shortcomings as Auburn's head coach fall on that spectrum. I think he's done everything right- whether of his own volition or not- this offseason. I just hope he's bought in, he sees the plan clearly and he's got the sack to see it through. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

that really is my question: does Gus genuinely get behind these philosophical changes and- if they work, which of course is the actual first question- embrace them going forward?

What I can't stomach are personality traits that run counter to success. Those aren't often fixed in a grown person

That is the million dollar question isn't it?  Let's be honest, Rhett didn't leave on his own.  UCONN is a big step down.  Just like Roof didn't voluntarily leave for Central Florida.  I don't approve of the meddling.  If Gus fails, let him fail his way.  Don't force him to make staff changes he doesn't want. Was the QB Guru ban really lifted by CL?  Is Jay Jacobs now barking orders at Gus to save both their jobs?  Are these drastic changes coming about because Gus knows he needs to try something different or are they being forced on him?  If parting ways with Rhett turns out to be a big positive will Gus actually see it that way or will he remain resentful for being forced to get rid of his protégé? 

Magic eight ball answer is............... Ask again later!  :dunno:

Edited by ToomersStreet
  • Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:11 PM, imaolgatiger said:

Good stuff, Stat! I don't see how anyone can think that the Borges hire isn't a homerun. Al was able to use all of our weapons in 2004 and 2005. This should be a fun offense to watch.

Hiring Coach Al Borges was one of the best moves Gus has made and it will show huge dividends next season. I think our QBs will blossom under CAB & CCL of which opposing defensive coordinators fits.