Trump vs.Clinton.....Who Would Win Today?

Proud Tiger

According to a Washington Post (not exactly a friend of Trump) poll, if the election were held now Trump would still win, even the popular vote. I'm a bit surprised but glad that seems to be the case.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/24/trump-slams-pollsters-as-survey-buries-sustained-popularity-over-clinton.html

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

According to a Washington Post (not exactly a friend of Trump) poll, if the election were held now Trump would still win, even the popular vote. I'm a bit surprised but glad that seems to be the case.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/24/trump-slams-pollsters-as-survey-buries-sustained-popularity-over-clinton.html

Crooked Hilary is still Crooked Hilary, so I guess I don't understand the surprise?

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

Crooked Hilary is still Crooked Hilary, so I guess I don't understand the surprise?

True. I just thought that with all the negative hand grenades being thrown at him Trump may have slipped a bit. But a poll today said that 96% of his original voters still supported him. Also a lot of polls show his approval ratings way down. But the professional and respected Rasmussen daily presidential tracking poll shows his favorability at 51%

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/prez_track_apr24

11 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

True. I just thought that with all the negative hand grenades being thrown at him Trump may have slipped a bit. But a poll today said that 96% of his original voters still supported him. Also a lot of polls show his approval ratings way down. But the professional and respected Rasmussen daily presidential tracking poll shows his favorability at 51%

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/prez_track_apr24

Rasmussen leans pretty conservative. By every other metric, he's the least popular president after his first 100 days ever.

As for the "I would win again," he was citing a poll that showed him winning 43-40 if there was a rematch.

That's not particularly impressive, considering that it's less than the 46% he got the first time, and it's probably a result of people being angry at Clinton for losing the first time.

12 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

It's a tracking poll. Not only does Rasmussen lean conservative, but a tracking poll is hardly a good indicator.  Tracking polls use the same people over and over, so opinions are less likely to change and the diverse range of opinions gathered is lacking when compared to a traditional poll.

1 hour ago, Bigbens42 said:

Rasmussen leans pretty conservative. By every other metric, he's the least popular president after his first 100 days ever.

As for the "I would win again," he was citing a poll that showed him winning 43-40 if there was a rematch.

That's not particularly impressive, considering that it's less than the 46% he got the first time, and it's probably a result of people being angry at Clinton for losing the first time.

Compared to the polling that took place on Monday for the election, it is right in line. He was polling anywhere from 39 to 44 on that Monday.

10 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Compared to the polling that took place on Monday for the election, it is right in line. He was polling anywhere from 39 to 44 on that Monday.

In other words, polling is only good when it works in my parties favor. Nice catch by the way.

Actually what the polls are showing is the Public is still split and that neither side can get a true majority.  We need better people in both parties but the way the primaries are setup the country will remain divided as neither side picks many people from the middle.

5 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Actually what the polls are showing is the Public is still split and that neither side can get a true majority.  We need better people in both parties but the way the primaries are setup the country will remain divided as neither side picks many people from the middle.

Recall that Bill Clinton became president with less than 50% of the popular vote twice...once it was about 43%...but at that time, not many folks were declaring that he was not really the president....

15 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Recall that Bill Clinton became president with less than 50% of the popular vote twice...once it was about 43%...but at that time, not many folks were declaring that he was not really the president....

He got more votes than either of the other two opponents, by a good margin. Trump got less than his one opponent. 

8 minutes ago, alexava said:

He got more votes than either of the other two opponents, by a good margin. Trump got less than his one opponent. 

Electoral College....but in one election 57% voted against B.C.....

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Electoral College....but in one election 57% voted against B.C.....

Then 54% voted against trump. 

13 minutes ago, alexava said:

Then 54% voted against trump. 

So what..?  Like B.C....he won the election the way we have elected Presidents for most of our history...just accept that and move on ...all I am suggesting.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I don't see many people declaring Trump isn't president either. :dunno:

37 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I don't see many people declaring Trump isn't president either. :dunno:

He started the argument about nothing. My point is no opponent had more popular vote than Clinton did. It wasn't even close. 

7 hours ago, alexava said:

He started the argument about nothing. My point is no opponent had more popular vote than Clinton did. It wasn't even close. 

I just noted that he had much less than majority support of the electorate but people accepted his victory.  Popular vote in itself is irrelevant as is the percent of popular vote so why keep bringing it up.?   It is a losers argument...like " we got more yards" when losing a football game.  

There is a system for keeping score in presidential elections and this one was not even particularly close.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:11 PM, Proud Tiger said:

I don't believe in polls for 1 reason: I never get polled, nor does anybody I ask around me. So, if you are not polling 100% of the people voting, you're only getting a sample size of the voters. If polls were 100% reliable, then would Hillary not be President right now? I feel that Trump is doing an outstanding job as President. Keep on going strong DT!

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

I just noted that he had much less than majority support of the electorate but people accepted his victory.  Popular vote in itself is irrelevant as is the percent of popular vote so why keep bringing it up.?   It is a losers argument...like " we got more yards" when losing a football game.  

There is a system for keeping score in presidential elections and this one was not even particularly close.

You brought it up. 

19 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Clinton is from the middle.  She just had too many other problems.

44 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I don't believe in polls for 1 reason: I never get polled, nor does anybody I ask around me. So, if you are not polling 100% of the people voting, you're only getting a sample size of the voters. If polls were 100% reliable, then would Hillary not be President right now? I feel that Trump is doing an outstanding job as President. Keep on going strong DT!

WOW!  So polls are a statistical sample????

Who knew???!

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

Popular vote may be irrelevant in terms of counting our electoral college system, but it's hardly irrelevant to governing.  Clinton had the good sense to reach out to the majority of voters after being elected.  Trump has no good sense.

Just wait and see.

9 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Popular vote may be irrelevant in terms of counting our electoral college system, but it's hardly irrelevant to governing.  Clinton had the good sense to reach out to the majority of voters after being elected.  Trump has no good sense.

Just wait and see.

Likely...but it helps to have the media putting a positive spin on things...and DJT will never have that.  With the current media it is impossible for him to get anything right...gonna be a tough 8 years for him...

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Likely...but it helps to have the media putting a positive spin on things...and DJT will never have that.  With the current media it is impossible for him to get anything right...gonna be a tough 8 years for him...

What BS.  The media isn't the source of Trump's problems, it's his behavior.

And seriously, 8 years?!   :lmao:

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

What BS.  The media isn't the source of Trump's problems, it's his behavior.

And seriously, 8 years?!   :lmao:

Long 8 years for you too it seems...:fish:

Archived