Tight Ends and HBs

corchjay

I know or heard of CCL's use of the TE and less of an HB but I still think HB with Cox is a strength on this team.  I don't think Harris brings the speed, hands, or dominant blocking to the table to be a hand on the ground tight end that is used 40 plays a game.  I also don't think Cannella can be as effect as we want him to be as a flex-TE.  I think he lacks the speed but I hope he can be a good blocker on the edge.

Thoughts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cannela just needs to add a lot of muscle.  Cox is definitely a guy you want out there, and I still have hope for Harris.  We also have Shenker arriving in the summer who is exactly the player Chip needs.  Another wild card is Alex Medary, who is a incoming freshmen preferred walk-on and has known Herb Hand for a very long time.  His father is a surgeon who saved Hand's life many years ago.  Very cool story.

I didn't notice much in the way of blocking by the TE/HB position during A-Day so I can't give much new input there. I did notice Canella's speed (or lack thereof) when running seam routes. The DBs were all over him so I don't expect to see him a lot in the passing game except to draw coverage away from the receivers or if he just ends up wide open in blown coverage.

That said, Cox is definitely the guy that will be back there any time we use more of an HB role. Probably Shenker too depending on how well he learns the offense. I don't know if any of our guys are true blocking TEs so I don't expect to see many packages where we utilize them in that role.

10 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Somewhat disappointing ready about thoughts on Canella. I thought he was brought in to be the pass catching threat at that position.

Don't give up hope on him yet.  Just observations from A-Day and from the lack of information about him coming of spring practices.  

I hope they all work hard and get better. It has to suck not ever getting the ball though. Harris needs to offer something and Cox improved but he has to get better at blocking

The top 2 ASU TEs only had 11 catches between them in 2016. For comparison, Lutz had 15 in 2010 and CJ had 11 in 2013. I realize that both numbers are many multiples of what we've had the last 2 years combined, but they're still pretty low. OJ Howard had 45 catches last year. Anyway, I don't think that we should expect much from the TE position this season. More, but not "a lot". 

Not sure how much they used an Hback there. They only had 1 FB listed on the roster and he had no stats last year. 6'3 230 lb Kalen Ballage had 44 catches last year and 17 the year before. He was a true RB, though. (Food for thought re: Harold Joiner. Ballage had 8 TDs in one game last year. Ran a lot of Wildcat.) 

I think Cox was getting a lot better with blocking the 2nd half of last year, but I could be wrong. He can definitely catch the ball and punish a tackler. I will not be surprised, either, if he's much more of a playmaker than either of the TEs. 

Sal was brought in the help, period. By all accounts during his recruitment, he has 4 to play 3. The coaches would love for him to play meaningful snaps this year but if it's an acclamation year that's ok too.

11 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Sal was brought in the help, period. 

What does that mean, exactly? Every kid on scholarship was brought in to help. 

Exactly. Have you heard coaches put a timetable on that or say they expect him to start? Just bc CCL utilizes the TE and we signed a JUCO TE, doesn't mean he is expected to be an instant impact.

8 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Exactly. Have you heard coaches put a timetable on that or say they expect him to start? Just bc CCL utilizes the TE and we signed a JUCO TE, doesn't mean he is expected to be an instant impact.

Gotcha, thanks, very well said  :thumbsup:

I definitely don't want to sound too negative about Canella - A-Day was really all we got to see of him and that wasn't a lot to go on. He did make some catches and any time you draw double coverage (whether intentional or a blown assignment by the DBs) is a good thing for the offense. Like @McLoofus said, I expect more production out of the TE position this year but not "a lot" - let our talented young WRs make the plays and sprinkle in the TE passes to keep the secondary honest!

As long as we stay out of the whirlybird I think Cox will do a good job at H-back.  He was getting better blocking last year.  Harris is also getting better as a blocker but it is hard to know how he will do as a receiver because he was so under utilized in that role last year.  From what I saw of Canella in the spring game the boy just needs a haircut.  

Great discussion @corchjay

I think Cox is definitely the most versatile of the group. I don't recall any HB runs called on A Day, which may be his biggest strength. But as others pointed out, he has improved a good bit blocking and he is also a good route runner with good hands. 

I am also looking forward to what Shenker can do. The word is he is a perfect fit for this offense.

I like the idea of playing more versatile guys to keep defenses guessing and to minimize subbing.  So, as of right now, I am leaning heavily towards Cox being our workhorse at the HB/TE position. 

New 247 article out saying Sal is behind Harris in weight and blocking. CCL said he needs to be at 240lbs, has already put on 15, and is listed on roster at 228. 

I agree with the OP. Cox is the best tool in the shed and Chip would be wise to utilize his multiple skill sets. It seems he's gotten a fair amount of what I consider undue criticism from the board about his blocking and the Cox Cat. I'm a big fan of his and see him as a Uzomah type in the sense that he hasn't come close to being utilized properly while at Auburn. In fact, he'd be killer on RPO plays from the HB spot similar to how K State used Baby Gronk.

Just wondering if the TE position is "secret weapon". And if this is the case, would these coaches be inclined to sit on the plays for A-day, keep them off the film? Had it in my mind that Auburn tight ends always catch those "we forgot that guy" passes. Just asking the board. Thanks.

10 hours ago, jAUSon said:

Just wondering if the TE position is "secret weapon". And if this is the case, would these coaches be inclined to sit on the plays for A-day, keep them off the film? Had it in my mind that Auburn tight ends always catch those "we forgot that guy" passes. Just asking the board. Thanks.

I think it's a safe bet that the coaches didn't open up a significant portion of the playbook on A Day, but I don't think that our TEs themselves are "secret weapons". Put another way, I think maybe the OP is suggesting is that it's less about the Xs and Os and more about the Jimmys and Joes when it comes to tight ends in the Auburn offense in 2017. As in, we don't have them yet. Touching on subsequent posts, maybe what we have can turn into that, but it doesn't look like we're there yet. 

My memory isn't 100% solid on this one but I feel Cox was constantly improving after the beginning of last season. I expect we see a decent amount of him. 

I'm hoping the same goes for TE (and Cannella), he looked good on A day. Hopefully Chip utilizes the talent at the position in the passing game. And with all the talent we seem to have at WR/TE and QB, I won't complain if this is the year we start. 

43 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Per an article on Auburn Undercover, today (http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Sal-Cannella-is-behind-Jalen-Harris-in-critical-area-52481502), Cannella needs to add around 20 lbs and work on his blocking over the Summer.

I think canella is less TE more WR.

6 minutes ago, alexava said:

I think canella is less TE more WR.

I'm in agreement with you.  Which he needs to get bigger/stronger to our muscle DBs that cover him.  What surprised me as how many times he lined up outside the numbers and not in the flex TE/slot area.  I'm sure that had a lot to do with seeing what he could do "live".  

23 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

I will not be shocked if McClain - with linebacker size and WR speed - also fits into Lindseys TE-ish schemes this fall.  

I don't want to go down this Rabbit hole but...  I think if KD is back then your McClain prediction might could be true if not then I expect him to stay outside for that outside big body guy.

15 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I don't want to go down this Rabbit hole but...  I think if ****** then your McClain prediction might could be true if not then I expect him to stay outside for that outside big body guy.

There goes Corch, stirring up controversy again. SMH

Man, if A-Day was any indication, that McClain is a live one. I know the player comparisons are lazy and usually inaccurate, but I feel like a very underappreciated component to our 2009 and 2010 offenses was Terrell Zachery. 650+ yards from scrimmage in both of those seasons. We've had a couple big, strong WRs since him, but I don't think we've had any who played quite as big and strong as he did. Maybe Sammie. But TZach was such a complete receiver. He could catch and run, was deadly on reverses and sweeps, hell of a blocker... gimme some more of that, please.

Sorry. Back to TEs and HBs...

Archived