Offensive Line

corchjay

I'm going to try to go through each position group with these discussions.  I think they will be a good for passing time during this slow part of the year for football.  However, I do not for any player/or grouping for these to get into personal attacks toward the players in any way.  If so I'm sure the MODs will shut it down (and I will stop doing them).

On to the OL.  Very good recruiting over the past few years has us loaded up with talent but High School talent doesn't always translate to big boy football for the "Big Uglies".  Seems to me, in my opinion, that we are at a cross roads for the haves and the have nots for our personnel.  As a group looks like either one OT spot or one OG spot may be the only positions up for grabs.

These are strictly my opinion but the haves are - James, Horton, Golson, Smith.  The guys vying for filling that 5th spot are Harrell, W. Bell, Tega, Sammons

The have nots - Carr, Kim, Sharpe.  They could develop into contributors but still have a way to go.

The new guys - W. Bell, C. Dunn.  I think both of these guys can provide depth to the line but not sure either will have enough time to learn the offense to start day one.  Ashley, Troxell, Brahms will have a long way to go although I expect Ashley to possibly get in on some special teams and he or Sammons/Tega to be the overloaded line TE if we use that set.

I think if we stay away from injuries that our start 5 will be a top 3 OL in the conference.  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict a little shakeup in the line up.  

2 deep

LT Tega/Ashley

LG James/Harrell/Bell

C Golson/C. Dunn

RG Horton/Carr

RT Smith/Sammons

I thought from A-day that both lines looked pretty good.  2nd/3rd teamers couldn't run block against our 1's on the DL but they did provide some time in the pass game.  The 2's aren't good enough to win a lot of games for us but I think in a few of our cupcake games that they can come in and run the full offense not just run the give up the middle same blocking scheme but get reps running the full scheme.  Carr, Harrell, Sharpe, and Kim need those reps if they are ever going to be contributors for us.

Thoughts?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'm going to try to go through each position group with these discussions.  I think they will be a good for passing time during this slow part of the year for football.  However, I do not for any player/or grouping for these to get into personal attacks toward the players in any way.  If so I'm sure the MODs will shut it down (and I will stop doing them).

On to the OL.  Very good recruiting over the past few years has us loaded up with talent but High School talent doesn't always translate to big boy football for the "Big Uglies".  Seems to me, in my opinion, that we are at a cross roads for the haves and the have nots for our personnel.  As a group looks like either one OT spot or one OG spot may be the only positions up for grabs.

These are strictly my opinion but the haves are - James, Horton, Golson, Smith.  The guys vying for filling that 5th spot are Harrell, W. Bell, Tega, Sammons

The have nots - Carr, Kim, Sharpe.  They could develop into contributors but still have a way to go.

The new guys - W. Bell, C. Dunn.  I think both of these guys can provide depth to the line but not sure either will have enough time to learn the offense to start day one.  Ashley, Troxell, Brahms will have a long way to go although I expect Ashley to possibly get in on some special teams and he or Sammons/Tega to be the overloaded line TE if we use that set.

I think if we stay away from injuries that our start 5 will be a top 3 OL in the conference.  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict a little shakeup in the line up.  

2 deep

LT Tega/Ashley

LG James/Harrell/Bell

C Golson/C. Dunn

RG Horton/Carr

RT Smith/Sammons

I thought from A-day that both lines looked pretty good.  2nd/3rd teamers couldn't run block against our 1's on the DL but they did provide some time in the pass game.  The 2's aren't good enough to win a lot of games for us but I think in a few of our cupcake games that they can come in and run the full offense not just run the give up the middle same blocking scheme but get reps running the full scheme.  Carr, Harrell, Sharpe, and Kim need those reps if they are ever going to be contributors for us.

Thoughts?

While I think you are correct about the 2 deep, I wish that we could solidify both tackle positions and keep Smith at RG. Just going off the concept of why move a guy that really exceled at his position.

13 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

While I think you are correct about the 2 deep, I wish that we could solidify both tackle positions and keep Smith at RG. Just going off the concept of why move a guy that really exceled at his position.

I have no inside information but could have been a selling point to Braden to give him an opportunity to play RT if he decided to come back this year and not enter the draft.  Just a thought as to why we might be considering that move.

19 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I have no inside information but could have been a selling point to Braden to give him an opportunity to play RT if he decided to come back this year and not enter the draft.  Just a thought as to why we might be considering that move.

Excellent point. 

Love the optimism in the OP. I'm inclined to agree. If Golson and Smith stay healthy, I think our worst case scenario is "okay to better than okay". Gotta keep those guys off of motorcycles, off of basketball courts and out of bars this summer :drink9:

Dunn might be a viable backup, I just hate hate hate the idea of switching centers if the one we've got is pretty good. I'm a Stidham believer, but even seasoned vets need to be able to count on the intelligence and experience of the guy snapping the ball. And Smith is that ideal combination of talent and experience that you just can't replace. 

The only thing I am not thrilled with is the grad transfers for the O-Line.  I thought Golson did really well at center last year.  He may not like center, but he is good at it.  Now with Bell, I don't understand why we went out and got him.  He lost his starting job at Florida State last year to an O-Line that was absolutely terrible.  I really wish we spent our remaining scholarships on the safety position, or punter.  Harrell did not really impress me like I hoped this Spring, so the jury is still out for him.  I would like to give one of the Princes a chance at a starting position.  

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dunn might be a viable backup, I just hate hate hate the idea of switching centers if the one we've got is pretty good. I'm a Stidham believer, but even seasoned vets need to be able to count on the intelligence and experience of the guy snapping the ball

This all the way.  They tried it last year and was a complete fail.  Learn from your mistakes.  If it ain't broke, quit jacking with it until you break it!

26 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

The only thing I am not thrilled with is the grad transfers for the O-Line.  I thought Golson did really well at center last year.  He may not like center, but he is good at it.  Now with Bell, I don't understand why we went out and got him.  He lost his starting job at Florida State last year to an O-Line that was absolutely terrible.  I really wish we spent our remaining scholarships on the safety position, or punter.  Harrell did not really impress me like I hoped this Spring, so the jury is still out for him.  I would like to give one of the Princes a chance at a starting position.  

Bell and Dunn were brought in for depth because Carr and Kim aren't ready if we need them. 

What is the main reason Kim still isn't ready to go? I remember people being excited to get him but he's been quiet since. 

13 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

What happened to Deon Mix?

Deon Mix is graduating from Auburn’s University College and College of Education. Mix will look to pursue a fifth year of eligibility elsewhere 

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Deon Mix is graduating from Auburn’s University College and College of Education. Mix will look to pursue a fifth year of eligibility elsewhere 

Thanks

This may help in the discussion:

Number

Player

Year

Position

Nick Brahms

Freshman

OG

Kaleb Kim

Sophomore

C

Broadarious Hamm

Freshman

OG/OT

Ryan Meneely

Sophomore

?

Mike Horton

Sophomore

OG/OT

Tucker Brown

Junior

?

Bailey Sharp

Sophomore

OG

Tyler Carr

Sophomore

OG

Braden Smith

Senior

OT/OG

Prince Micheal Sammons

RS Freshman

OT

Austin Golson

Senior

C

Prince Tega Wanogho

Sophomore

OT

Marquel Harrell

Sophomore

OG

Darius James

Senior

OG

Coming in this Summer

TBD

Calvin Ashley

Freshman

OT

TBD

Austin Troxel

Freshman

OT

TBD

Casey Dunn

Senior

C

TBD

Wilson Bell

Senior

OG

A lot will depend on Ashley and if he can play as a freshman.If he is as good as advertised there is no need to redshirt him because he will be gone in three any way.

LT- Wanogho, LG- James, OC- Golson, RG- Smith, RT- Ashley 

If all were SEC ready in '17 this would be an ideal lineup imo. The interior of that line would be as solid as it gets. But however the final OL shuffle does shake out, we need to make sure we have a good left tackle to protect Stidhams blindside.

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I wouldn't mind them trying CA at RT and move BS back to RG

From the all star games I don't think CA is ready to be a starter as a true freshman at OT.

4 hours ago, gr82be said:

What is the main reason Kim still isn't ready to go? I remember people being excited to get him but he's been quiet since. 

I don't think anyone here can really answer that.  For me personally it doesn't  look like his body has matured or developed as expected.  

13 minutes ago, corchjay said:

From the all star games I don't think CA is ready to be a starter as a true freshman at OT.

I yield to your expertise with OL. What makes you think that? Flexibility? Strength? 

56 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I yield to your expertise with OL. What makes you think that? Flexibility? Strength? 

Experience.  Plus I'm trying to recall from memory but seems I remember him struggling in pass blocking against the better DEs and also being moved inside for the game to OG.  Could he do it if forced to yes but just my opinion I'd much rather have an experienced player.  

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

I don't think anyone here can really answer that.  For me personally it doesn't  look like his body has matured or developed as expected.  

I probably could have phrased the question better but thanks. 

I think they were just trying to rattle Harrell's cage a little this spring and I doubt Tega is ready to start.  I look for it to be L to R:  James, Harrell, Golson, Horton, Smith.  Bell might come in and take Harrell's spot but I doubt it he got beat out at FSU.  Of course, Ashley might cause a shake up if he is as good as advertised.  

9 hours ago, corchjay said:

Bell and Dunn were brought in for depth because Carr and Kim aren't ready if we need them. 

Weren't Carr and Kim both redshirted making this their third year in the program? If that's the case how much time do they need to get ready?

I'd really like to see Tega make enough of a leap in his development to start at LT so James can move to LG. I don't know that he will, but I see that as the optimal projection for our line, because I think his upside is greater than Harrell's.

Archived