Offensive Line

corchjay

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

Weren't Carr and Kim both redshirted making this their third year in the program? If that's the case how much time do they need to get ready?

Some never get ready. Some play the last of 5 years and get drafted. You never know. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have plenty of OL talent. Our problem is we don't really have a true C (our coaches really wanna put Golson somewhere else, but he is our best C by far, so leave him there!), and our OTs are either too green (2 Princes and CA who isn't even on campus yet!) or better OGs (James and Smith). Therefore, finding the right group of 5 is challenging. My fear is CHH overthinking the situation and making it worse (see early 2016). 

At some point, you have to stop experimenting and give your 1OL time to gel. You gotta pick James-Harrell/Bell-Golson-Horton-Smith and be done with it. Get the Princes and Ashley ready because they are the next men up. And get Kim, Brahms, or SOMEBODY ready to play C next year!

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

We have plenty of OL talent. Our problem is we don't really have a true C (our coaches really wanna put Golson somewhere else, but he is our best C by far, so leave him there!), and our OTs are either too green (2 Princes and CA who isn't even on campus yet!) or better OGs (James and Smith). Therefore, finding the right group of 5 is challenging. My fear is CHH overthinking the situation and making it worse (see early 2016). 

At some point, you have to stop experimenting and give your 1OL time to gel. You gotta pick James-Harrell/Bell-Golson-Horton-Smith and be done with it. Get the Princes and Ashley ready because they are the next men up. And get Kim, Brahms, or SOMEBODY ready to play C next year!

I'm just not sold on Hand yet,for Gus sake I hope he puts a solid o-line on the field this year.As many have said it all starts in the lines o and d.

3 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I'm just not sold on Hand yet,for Gus sake I hope he puts a solid o-line on the field this year.As many have said it all starts in the lines o and d.

I can't say I disagree but I can't see what he is/isn't doing for the guys.  Great guy and very good recruiter.  Maybe he improves if he can concentrate on OL and not being part of the game plan.  

I don't know a lot about his style, expertise, etc. but my limited understanding is that he is a very good teacher of run blocking technique.  That may or may not imply that coaching pass blocking is a weakness.  If so, that could become a cause for concern this season.

At this point, my biggest concern for CHH is him overthinking his "best 5 approach" (see my previous post)

6 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I don't know a lot about his style, expertise, etc. but my limited understanding is that he is a very good teacher of run blocking technique.  That may or may not imply that coaching pass blocking is a weakness.  If so, that could become a cause for concern this season.

At this point, my biggest concern for CHH is him overthinking his "best 5 approach" (see my previous post)

I think that's important.  Hopefully now that CHH and CCL have seen the guys this spring and CHH last fall then they can have an informed opinion of who the "best 5 that fits together".

5 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Kim, Brahms, and I think Stutts maybe can snap.  Either he or Irvin I can't remember which one.  However, 2018 we need a Center that's ready to play at all-SEC type level.  

21 hours ago, triangletiger said:

This may help in the discussion:

Number

Player

Year

Position

Nick Brahms

Freshman

OG

Kaleb Kim

Sophomore

C

Broadarious Hamm

Freshman

OG/OT

Ryan Meneely

Sophomore

?

Mike Horton

Sophomore

OG/OT

Tucker Brown

Junior

?

Bailey Sharp

Sophomore

OG

Tyler Carr

Sophomore

OG

Braden Smith

Senior

OT/OG

Prince Micheal Sammons

RS Freshman

OT

Austin Golson

Senior

C

Prince Tega Wanogho

Sophomore

OT

Marquel Harrell

Sophomore

OG

Darius James

Senior

OG

Coming in this Summer

TBD

Calvin Ashley

Freshman

OT

TBD

Austin Troxel

Freshman

OT

TBD

Casey Dunn

Senior

C

TBD

Wilson Bell

Senior

OG

Certainly has helped clarify my listening in to the discussion. Dearth of home-grown seniority is apparent, and I had Trouble finding many capital "T"s.

Many Thanks.

5 hours ago, corchjay said:

Kim, Brahms, and I think Stutts maybe can snap.  Either he or Irvin I can't remember which one.  However, 2018 we need a Center that's ready to play at all-SEC type level.  

Absolutely!  Are Stutts and Irvin HS players?  It takes me a while to get used to the names of our targets. 

Edit: Oops  Irvin is our committed guy  

If Kim or Brahms aren't "SEC ready" we are going to have to find a transfer to play C. Those guys are really hard to find! Considering we "found" a GT C this year, I can't think the potential there is great. So let's hope and pray that one of those 2 guys get SEC ready SOON!

What's the problem with Auburn finding a center? Are the players they are recruiting just don't want to play center or are the coaches hoping each recruiting season they can just hike their legs and crap a center? Inquiring minds want to know. 

9 hours ago, milehighfan said:

What's the problem with Auburn finding a center? Are the players they are recruiting just don't want to play center or are the coaches hoping each recruiting season they can just hike their legs and crap a center? Inquiring minds want to know. 

Doesn't fully explain it, but at least a small part of it is that the guys who were recruited a couple seasons ago and should be our next generation OLs were recruited by a different guy. Like I said, I'm not trying to excuse it all away- especially since the boss is an offensive guy- but it's not nothing. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Doesn't fully explain it, but at least a small part of it is that the guys who were recruited a couple seasons ago and should be our next generation OLs were recruited by a different guy. Like I said, I'm not trying to excuse it all away- especially since the boss is an offensive guy- but it's not nothing. 

There are very few highly skilled, right athleticism, and size playing in high school.  If they are skilled enough they are generally an OT unless at a very large school.  Generally speaking there are probably about 4-5 quality centers coming out of high school per year.  So you have to find a guard that can snap most of the time.  Seems there was a highly regarded Center last year we were in on... Ruiz or something like that.  So the coaches have tried to find players but you can't make them come here.  For example there are 3 recruits at center rated 4*. 

Center doesn't scare me this year but next year it does.

14 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Center doesn't scare me this year but next year it does.

Boy howdy, does it ever.

I was terrified of the center position going into 2015. I'm glad that Golson has learned the position since then and I'm a fan now, but I sure wish he had gotten to learn the position elsewhere first. New center who had never played the position before + new QB (+ freshmen at RB and HB + the Bad News Bears at WR... @StatTiger tried to warn everybody...)

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we are combing the transfer market hard for another Dunn. 

On 4/26/2017 at 11:16 AM, corchjay said:

I'm going to try to go through each position group with these discussions.  I think they will be a good for passing time during this slow part of the year for football.  However, I do not for any player/or grouping for these to get into personal attacks toward the players in any way.  If so I'm sure the MODs will shut it down (and I will stop doing them).

On to the OL.  Very good recruiting over the past few years has us loaded up with talent but High School talent doesn't always translate to big boy football for the "Big Uglies".  Seems to me, in my opinion, that we are at a cross roads for the haves and the have nots for our personnel.  As a group looks like either one OT spot or one OG spot may be the only positions up for grabs.

These are strictly my opinion but the haves are - James, Horton, Golson, Smith.  The guys vying for filling that 5th spot are Harrell, W. Bell, Tega, Sammons

The have nots - Carr, Kim, Sharpe.  They could develop into contributors but still have a way to go.

The new guys - W. Bell, C. Dunn.  I think both of these guys can provide depth to the line but not sure either will have enough time to learn the offense to start day one.  Ashley, Troxell, Brahms will have a long way to go although I expect Ashley to possibly get in on some special teams and he or Sammons/Tega to be the overloaded line TE if we use that set.

I think if we stay away from injuries that our start 5 will be a top 3 OL in the conference.  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict a little shakeup in the line up.  

2 deep

LT Tega/Ashley

LG James/Harrell/Bell

C Golson/C. Dunn

RG Horton/Carr

RT Smith/Sammons

I thought from A-day that both lines looked pretty good.  2nd/3rd teamers couldn't run block against our 1's on the DL but they did provide some time in the pass game.  The 2's aren't good enough to win a lot of games for us but I think in a few of our cupcake games that they can come in and run the full offense not just run the give up the middle same blocking scheme but get reps running the full scheme.  Carr, Harrell, Sharpe, and Kim need those reps if they are ever going to be contributors for us.

Thoughts?

Ashley is going to be counted on to start. Been hearing this for over a year.

Tega isn't ready. Still at least another year or two away. Will play but most will be mop up stuff. 

Sammons is in the same boat with Tega. Lets be honest, both are projects and works in progress. 

We absolutely loaded at G. 2-deep right now. No worries here.

Depth and experience at tackle is going to be the thing to watch this year. 

Here is what I think opening day's OL will be. 

LT Ashley/ who knows

LG Bell / Harrell

C Golson/C. Dunn

RG Smith/ Horton

RT James/ who knows

Do believe Bell will get looks at the tackle position. 

Anyways IMO and FWIW. 

18 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Bell is going to start IMO. Kid is good. 

I trust your inside knowledge but why did Bell lose his spot at FSU?

31 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Ashley is going to be counted on to start. Been hearing this for over a year.

Tega isn't ready. Still at least another year or two away. Will play but most will be mop up stuff. 

Sammons is in the same boat with Tega. Lets be honest, both are projects and works in progress. 

We absolutely loaded at G. 2-deep right now. No worries here.

Depth and experience at tackle is going to be the thing to watch this year. 

Here is what I think opening day's OL will be. 

LT Ashley/ who knows

LG Bell / Harrell

C Golson/C. Dunn

RG Smith/ Horton

RT James/ who knows

Do believe Bell will get looks at the tackle position. 

Anyways IMO and FWIW. 

If Ashley is good enough to start at LT and Bell is good that would be a good line up.I prefer Smith back at guard, just my two cents and it ain't worth that.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

If Ashley is good enough to start at LT and Bell is good that would be a good line up.I prefer Smith back at guard, just my two cents and it ain't worth that.

It's worth more than that to me. Smith does not have the lateral agility needed on pass pro at tackle. Also as other AU fans have noted Braden is an elite solution at Guard. That's 1 less question mark. Why potentially create an extra question by moving him to tackle?

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's worth more than that to me. Smith does not have the lateral agility needed on pass pro at tackle. Also as other AU fans have noted Braden is an elite solution at Guard. That's 1 less question mark. Why potentially create an extra question by moving him to tackle?

I think the answer is obvious. We are loaded at OG and don't have much talent + experience at OT.  Which makes our questions "Who is our best 5?" And "Where do we put them?"  Honestly, our best 5 right now are probably all better at OG than anywhere else. 

52 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's worth more than that to me. Smith does not have the lateral agility needed on pass pro at tackle.

Same things were being said about Leff all of last off season...come to think about it, it was said during the season as well.

On a positive note, I can't remember when AU has had this many solid OL options when factoring talent, depth, and experience. Several of our 'next' 5 could start at other SEC Schools. It comes at the perfect time, because I want Mr Stidham to finish games with a clean uniform. Now if we can create a similar dilemma in our secondary. 

53 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Same things were being said about Leff all of last off season...come to think about it, it was said during the season as well.

IMO  Leff was a good run blocker but did get beat from time to time on the edge by speed,but he did do a pretty good job overall.Smith would probably do just as well as Leff or better,he is just really good at guard and we haven't seen enough of him at tackle to know.

I don't think we want to depend on a TFr at LT to protect Stidham's blindside on pass protection. If he does, he needs to be better at it than any other OL on the team, because that is what needs to be there. Ashley is good but I doubt if he will be ready for that responsibility. RT ok but not LT....yet.  

• WarTiger changed the title to Offensive Line
On 4/26/2017 at 1:48 PM, kd4au said:

A lot will depend on Ashley and if he can play as a freshman.If he is as good as advertised there is no need to redshirt him because he will be gone in three any way.

We need to get away with that kind of talk...it puts unfair expectations on everyone, fans included. I'm referring to the gone in three statement. We kept saying it about Lawson, Adams and they were late drafted for various reasons. People are already saying it about Stidham. Kind of ridiculous. The NFL guys were ranting on ESPN the other night about QBs need to stay for four years. Folks were saying it about Wiley when all he did was dunk this year. People are entitled to their opinion but lets just hold our horses until we see them in the fall.

:rant: Rant over. sorry.

Archived