Offensive Line

corchjay

27 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

We need to get away with that kind of talk...it puts unfair expectations on everyone, fans included. I'm referring to the gone in three statement. We kept saying it about Lawson, Adams and they were late drafted for various reasons. People are already saying it about Stidham. Kind of ridiculous. The NFL guys were ranting on ESPN the other night about QBs need to stay for four years. Folks were saying it about Wiley when all he did was dunk this year. People are entitled to their opinion but lets just hold our horses until we see them in the fall.

:rant: Rant over. sorry.

Sorry if I struck a nerve about the three and gone, but until the rules are changed the top players are going to go pro after three years and that just the way it is.Lets hope Ashley is that good and can start day one, it would solve our o line problem of who will start at tackle.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Lets hope Ashley is that good and can start day one

Confucius say (i.e. most experienced coaches), "Pencil in a loss for every freshman you start" (e.g. Alabama last year).

Interesting take aways from this article...

-Looks like Bell is likely to plug in at RG
-Braden to RT may be a permanent move (Something I'm uneasy about)

What does Auburn expect from offensive line graduate transfers Casey Dunn, Wilson Bell?

Wilson Bell
Former Florida State offensive guard Wilson Bell is transferring to Auburn. (Greg Oyster, 247Sports)

By James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on May 01, 2017 at 8:43 PM

Auburn's top five offensive linemen at the end of spring practice and the top five to open fall camp will almost definitely not be the same.

The off-season change is due to the additions of graduate transfers Casey Dunn, an All-American center from Jacksonville State, and Wilson Bell, who announced he was transferring from Florida State to join the Tigers on April 7, the day before A-Day.

The addition of Bell, who started five games at right guard from Florida State last season and every game in 2015, has a particularly big impact on the interior personnel of Auburn's offensive line, which left spring with uncertainty at left guard.

"We're real excited about him," offensive line coach Herb Hand said before a meeting of the Nashville Auburn Club on Monday. "Obviously, he's started 20 games or so for a really good football program. He's going to bring a maturity level already. ... We expect him to come in and be a major contributor for us."

With the 6-foot-5, 320-pound Bell, a Mobile native, likely to stay at right guard it means there will likely be movement at left guard, which Hand called the "biggest piece of the puzzle" during spring practice.

"(Bell's) natural position is right guard; that's where he's been at and been comfortable," Hand said. "I'm just excited we got him. I think he's going to be a really good addition."

Redshirt-sophomore Marquel Harrell spent spring at left guard with the starters but either Mike Horton could move to the left side, where he split time in the spring, or Austin Golson could slide out a spot from center if Dunn were to come in and prove he could take over as the starter in the middle.

"We feel like we've got two or three guys that are battling for that spot there, but we need to leave (spring) with feeling good about five guys," offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said on April 7, the day before Bell committed. "That's what coach Hand's kind of -- in his mind, he's like 'I'm trying different combination of guys at those spots to get the right guy.' But we're still looking for a guy or two to step up and be that next guy."

Hand said it is "not outside the realm of possibility" for Auburn's starting line to feature five seniors in left tackle Darius James, who still has to win a competition with Prince Tega Wanogho Jr. in fall camp, Golson, Dunn, Bell and Braden Smith.

"We're very excited about Wilson Bell, a veteran guy, very talented guy," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said during an appearance on the Cole Cubelic show last month. "Braden, we moved him to tackle, felt like that transition went well. Austin Golson is a veteran guy that we have coming back. Of course, Darius James a returning starter at tackle too. It's good competition and we're excited and feel like we have the pieces up front to be successful."

The addition of Dunn and Bell does mean Horton and Harrell could be in for another season of backup roles.

Hand knows there is still along time to go until any final decisions, but he likes having so many options.

"I want to have as much competition as possible," Hand said, "because ultimately if you have great competition, then people either when they win the job or it forces the other guys to up their game, ultimately Auburn wins."

31 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Interesting take aways from this article...

-Looks like Bell is likely to plug in at RG
-Braden to RT may be a permanent move (Something I'm uneasy about)

Looks like from the article Hand is just saying he will have a chance to compete at RG.  

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Looks like from the article Hand is just saying he will have a chance to compete at RG.  

It may come to that but expecting him to be a big contributor next season is saying more than that IMO.

It does look like Smith is going to stay at tackle,lets hope he is up to the job.I know he can run block it is just his pass protection that has me worried.Not to sure about the moving of Golson from center after he has done a good job.Hand needs to get it right,hope he does.

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

So the lineup of James, Horton, Golson, Bell, and Smith is gaining traction. 

Your thoughts?

I'm not sure I think from the article we are reading to much into it.  I think the first week of camp we will see how it shakes out.  

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I just want a line to be established early in camp.

Luckily we open with a cupcake before heading to Clemson.

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Nothing ever is established early in camp. Except suspensions and dismissals. 

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:03 PM, bigbird said:

I yield to your expertise with OL. What makes you think that? Flexibility? Strength? 

I like one of the 'Princes' at tackle and Braden back at guard

All I know is that who ever the C, LG and RG are they better be ready for Clemsons sophomore nose guard.

#90 Dexter Lawrence - 6' 5" 340

vs Auburn 2016 - 5 SOLO, 2 ASST, 1 SACK, 1 TFL, 1 PBU

He killed us as true freshman against. Kozan LG a SR With 25 career starts, Smith RG a JR with 14 career starts. Damper a SR who had played in 6 games.

vs FSU 2016 - 2 ASST, 1 SACK, 1 TFL

BELL was not a starter, nor did he play! The true freshman started.

37 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

All I know is that who ever the C, LG and RG are they better be ready for Clemsons sophomore nose guard.

#90 Dexter Lawrence - 6' 5" 340

vs Auburn 2016 - 5 SOLO, 2 ASST, 1 SACK, 1 TFL, 1 PBU

He killed us as true freshman against. Kozan LG a SR With 25 career starts, Smith RG a JR with 14 career starts. Damper a SR who had played in 6 games.

vs FSU 2016 - 2 ASST, 1 SACK, 1 TFL

BELL was not a starter, nor did he play! The true freshman started.

If the JSU transfer starts at center (currently listed at 285 lbs), then I am sure we will have to double team the guy all night. May have to anyway.

13 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The 'Princes' are not ready. 

And you said Bell would be at OT.  Clearly hand said Bell will be given a shot at OG

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2017 at 1:42 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

Deon Mix is graduating from Auburn’s University College and College of Education. Mix will look to pursue a fifth year of eligibility elsewhere 

Mix is finishing up his career with the Houston Cougars

On 5/3/2017 at 7:43 AM, bigbird said:

This is what is worrying me the most right now....

Archived