Focus on route adjustments

StatTiger

Part of Chip Lindsey's passing game includes the receivers having option routes based on how the opposing defense is defending the pass play. This is a major part of the Air Raid offense, which allows the WR's and QB to recognize and adjust to the opposing defense. The key for this aspect being successful is the QB and WR being on the same page. Another addition this season will be the run-pass option plays. The WR's will have to adjust on a given play, whether to block or run a passing route. depending on the adjustment made just before the snap. My favorite play of the A-Day game was the 33-yard pass play between Jarrett Stidham and Will Hastings. I do not believe it was a designed play but more of Will Hastings making something out of nothing.

The Play...

photo A-Day Route Adjustments_zpsdbefd4rf.jpg

On this play the offense comes out in a 4-WR set with the WR's stacked on both sides of the field. Before the snap, Will Hastings is stacked over Darius Slayton. At the snap, Will Hastings positions himself as if the play is a screen pass. Jarrett Stidham goes through his vertical progressions as C.J. Tolbert delays releasing out of the backfield. 

Once Tolbert releases out of the backfield, Will Hastings elects to ad-lib, breaking into a shallow crossing route over the middle now vacated by the defenders. Stidham catches Hastings coming across the middle, delivering a short pass to the speedy WR. Hastings hauls in the short pass and crosses over the middle before turning up field for a 33-yard gain.

The play showcased Will Hastings recognition of the defense on that play and Stidham's ability to see the entire field before targeting Hastings on his "ad-lib" route. The play catches the defense flat-footed resulting in a big gain for the offense. It is this type of play that builds trust and confidence between the QB and his receivers.
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, StatTiger said:
Part of Chip Lindsey's passing game includes the receivers having option routes based on how the opposing defense is defending the pass play. This is a major part of the Air Raid offense, which allows the WR's and QB to recognize and adjust to the opposing defense.

I really like Sean White.  He works his butt off and makes good decisions.  He is an accurate passer and a leader on the field.  However, this just reinforces the fact the Stidham will be the starter.  The new offense just plays to his strengths more.  I am eager to see the new passing game this season against SEC competition.... and Missouri.  There SEC right?  Does anyone care about Missouri?

• Like 1

In frame #4, just the body lean from Tolbert seems to indicate the this was an ad-lib by Hastings.  I've always heard that if two receivers are in the same area, somebody ran the wrong route.  In frame #6, it appears that the defense was crashing down on Tolbert and was caught off guard by Hastings reception and it too long for them to react.  I wonder if this play will make it into the playbook an an option rather then an ad-lib.

7 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

In frame #4, just the body lean from Tolbert seems to indicate the this was an ad-lib by Hastings.  I've always heard that if two receivers are in the same area, somebody ran the wrong route.  In frame #6, it appears that the defense was crashing down on Tolbert and was caught off guard by Hastings reception and it too long for them to react.  I wonder if this play will make it into the playbook an an option rather then an ad-lib.

I think it will. There are so many screens that the fakes often leave a WR uncovered.

• Like 1

If they can successfully incorporate read/choice routes into the offense, and the QB and receiver are on the same page, this offense will be unstoppable.

Having said that, the play above and any similar, will need EXCELLENT pass protection to succeed.

I love the concept of the offense. 

7 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

If they can successfully incorporate read/choice routes into the offense, and the QB and receiver are on the same page, this offense will be unstoppable.

Having said that, the play above and any similar, will need EXCELLENT pass protection to succeed.

But this quote is for every offense imagined.  If executed it will be highly effective.

I'm trying not to get to high on the offense from A-day because the defense wasn't very good and DB play was poor. 

• Like 1

Guest WarEagleSteve
On 4/27/2017 at 0:35 PM, corchjay said:

I love the concept of the offense. 

But this quote is for every offense imagined.  If executed it will be highly effective.

I'm trying not to get to high on the offense from A-day because the defense wasn't very good and DB play was poor. 

I'm with you on the tempering expectations. However, I am excited by the fact that we may have a passing game that can consistently attack every player on the opposing defense as opposed to relying on our #1 guy to beat their #1 guy on every play. 

Edited by WarEagleSteve