Monty Adams and Carl Lawson Draft talk

GwillMac6

I really thought NO was going to take Carl there.  Fairley and Lawson on the same line would have been fun. 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously ..I know it can't be just Carl's arm length? What the heck is going on man!!!

Starting to leak out Carls medicals were bad. You think this sort of thing would of leaked out like they usually do...... Hate it for carl. He is all class. A great Auburn man. A pro team will not get a more harder worker than him.

30 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Starting to leak out Carls medicals were bad. You think this sort of thing would of leaked out like they usually do...... Hate it for carl. He is all class. A great Auburn man. A pro team will not get a more harder worker than him.

Yeah, I kinda figured that might pop up. It's a lot of $$ these teams invest and they wanna be as sure as possible. Hopefully whatever medical issues there are won't effect him and he'll have a productive career. 

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Yeah, I kinda figured that might pop up. It's a lot of $$ these teams invest and they wanna be as sure as possible. Hopefully whatever medical issues there are won't effect him and he'll have a productive career. 

It will def motivate him even more than he already is. Our second highest ranked player EVER in the high school rankings (number 2 on ESPN 300) and won't even be drafted in the first 3 rounds. sucks.

2 hours ago, MaxP said:

Lawson must be in bad shape physically. He has been passed up by scrubs. Really sad. Ford is going undrafted.

These are the best of the best . Not a single layman can say any of these dudes are scrubs .

I guess I just don't watch enough football other than Auburn. I don't know hardly any of these players. I really liked Adams chances to go earlier. Not surprised on Lawson. How bad, or how long was Chad Kelly supposed to be out injured? I thought he was a lock in the NFL. 

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

I guess I just don't watch enough football other than Auburn. I don't know hardly any of these players. I really liked Adams chances to go earlier. Not surprised on Lawson. How bad, or how long was Chad Kelly supposed to be out injured? I thought he was a lock in the NFL. 

coming off a horrific knee injury AND chad kelly has maaaaaaaaaaaj character concerns. Bad combo. Having said that getting him tomorrow in rounds 4-7 imo is a better bargain than getting any of the qbs who went in the first round which a was a huuuuuuge reach. Kelly has all the talent and physical tools.

So- If Carl knew he'd go third round or later, any chance he would have come back? I'm asking what seems to be the honest logic behind those decisions these days?

15 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

So- If Carl knew he'd go third round or later, any chance he would have come back? I'm asking what seems to be the honest logic behind those decisions these days?

Not for sure, but I could easily see him going just because he was healthy at the end of the year. What if he came back and was injured again? Draft stock could drop. Also no guarantee he would go up under any  circumstances. His draft ceiling may be this. 

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

It will def motivate him even more than he already is. Our second highest ranked player EVER in the high school rankings (number 2 on ESPN 300) and won't even be drafted in the first 3 rounds. sucks.

Pretty sure Stephen Davis was the number one player out of high school back in the day. 

10 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Not for sure, but I could easily see him going just because he was healthy at the end of the year. What if he came back and was injured again? Draft stock could drop. Also no guarantee he would go up under any  circumstances. His draft ceiling may be this. 

His draft report highlights limitations in his game. He would have had to improve those and stay healthy to go higher.

9 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Do you think it was a mistake for Carl Lawson to skip his senior year? Could he not improve his draft stock by coming back?

Coming back for his senior year isn't gonna make it arms longer or less injury prone. 

16 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Coming back for his senior year isn't gonna make it arms longer or less injury prone. 

I guess it could disprove the view that he is injury prone if he were to have an All-American season. A matter of rolling the dice . Take a lower round pick this season versus the possibility of improving his standing by having a great senior season. :dunno:. Looks like we will never know. 

Like it or not, Carl wasn't elite at AU. He was VERY limited in his flexibility which hurt him with his pass rush, he had shorter arms which limited him in his hand fighting and being able to disengage(why he looked like he was being held).  Also, his inability to secure tackles was a huge knock(think OU game).  To me, he doesn't have the necessary tools to be a good pass rushing DE in the NFL.

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

South Alabama had a player drafted before us YIKES. Lawson like coates was going to come out either way after being a 4 year junior. Nothing was going to convince them otherwise not too. They both got their degree so no problem with me. Monty is the one I am shocked still out there. He had a amazing senior season.

Western Kentucky, Colorado, and Western Michigan had two each. Double yikes!  I do feel badly for Carl. I'm confident he will have a great career in the league. One thing for sure, AU has not had a better all round ambassador for our program on and off the field than Carl Lawson. And kudos to Monty too. 

On 4/27/2017 at 5:29 PM, Linayus said:

And this actually ticks me off. That was the biggest downside of Reese Dismukes as well. Guy is named the best center in college football and all they want to talk about is that his arms are like 2 inches shorter than what they want. Who cares?! Put him on the field and he'll get it done!

Now, if I was out there playing center or DE at 5'7 and 165lbs then you could ignore me. Not because my arms aren't as long as someone with less talent.

Sorry.. rant over. lol

But didnt they put him on the field in the NFL and he couldnt get it done? 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Like it or not, Carl wasn't elite at AU. He was VERY limited in his flexibility which hurt him with his pass rush, he had shorter arms which limited him in his hand fighting and being able to disengage(why he looked like he was being held).  Also, his inability to secure tackles was a huge knock(think OU game).  To me, he doesn't have the necessary tools to be a good pass rushing DE in the NFL.

I agree that his inability to secure tackles cropped up over and over. In the end he was a good AU player and I hope he can get on with a team to prove everyone wrong. 

I will wait to judge him once he gets on the field with some pro guys, not by inches and such, his measureables are not eye popping but he was a player every team had to scheme around to stop....i still remember what Tunsil said about him.  He is disciplined and a hard worker....somebody gonna get a good one. Best of luck to him.

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Pretty sure Stephen Davis was the number one player out of high school back in the day. 

Just talking about in the rivals era. (2002)

1 hour ago, auskip07 said:

But didnt they put him on the field in the NFL and he couldnt get it done? 

Don't ask sensible questions .

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

we have not taken advantage of our greatest recruiting tool: CAM NEWTON!!!! We should be getting these elite 5 star DT Qbs who are huge cam fans every year. Instead gus wanted to go the pocket passer route........ why? I have no idea. Look at all the stud wrs bama has been able to haul in because of the Julio affect. That is what we should of been doing at QB. Deshaun Watson should of been ours. Cam is his frickin mentor and his favorite athlete. Clemson was not who they are today. I still do not get how we did not land him. He committed to clemson early as well.

This is what I was hoping for out of Woody. A big bodied QB who is bigger than everyone except OL. Although it looks like we will have another Marshall type QB before another Cam, since Willis appears to have leap frogged Woody.

13 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

SEC just set a new record with 21 players drafted in the first two rounds (out of the first 58 picks). Still none from AU. I agree with various posters here that it's partly due to lost recruiting battles (see: R Foster, J Davis for example). But Temple, Villanova and some place called Ashland currently have more draftees than AU. 

Obviously I'm biased, but I'm surprised every year at how low our guys get drafted - and how many don't get drafted at all (like Avery Young last year). 

Something has to change with player development - and we need to change the overall perception of AU players by NFL scouts. 

While I will agree that overall our development could use an overhaul, I feel we have a bigger issue at hand. 

Take our players, Bama players, LSU players, and Georgia players and line them up. The Bama, LSU, and Georgia players will all be basically the same size. They appear to have a real strength and conditioning program. Our kids look like high school kids compared to Bama,  LSU, and Georgia. We look like we are running a high school strength and conditioning program.  We have had the same S&C coach since Gus arrived. While Russell was something new, and used some things his predecessor didnt. However, a lot of what they do is the same. Russell trained under Yox, and im sorry, but what kept kids up to par in the 90s and early 2000s, doesnt work now. 

We need more development, however S&C is a HUGE part of development. I think we need a new S&C coach.

12 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Do you think it was a mistake for Carl Lawson to skip his senior year? Could he not improve his draft stock by coming back?

Wish all drafts were done like the amateur baseball draft. If you dont get drafted, or dont get drafted where you want, go back to college. I know some things would have to change. Agents would have to be hired after the draft, but its a shame they dont let these kids go back if they got terrible advice from the NFL college advisory committee, and were projected rounds 1-3 and you dont go until the 6th, 7th, or even go undrafted, i feel they should be able to return to college and work on bettering that draft spot.

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

South Alabama had a player drafted before us YIKES. Lawson like coates was going to come out either way after being a 4 year junior. Nothing was going to convince them otherwise not too. They both got their degree so no problem with me. Monty is the one I am shocked still out there. He had a amazing senior season.

Monte DID have an amazing SR season. But what about his Sophomore and Junior seasons? His senior year he played with nonstop intensity. SO and JR seasons, he would play that way approximately every what? Every 3 plays? Main knock on Monte is his inconsistency.

11 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Hard to imagine it's just that, unless he is injured again. Bamas 1st round DE Allen has arthritis in one of his shoulders. And he went in the 1st... maybe it's the health with the short arms? I dont know... I just wish he had the opportunity to return for his SR year to show he can stay healthy for 2 straight seasons...

Archived