Monty Adams and Carl Lawson Draft talk

GwillMac6

big night tonight boys!!!! Expecting Monty to come off the board REALLY hoping carl does as well! WAR EAGLE!!!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

At the highest levels of every major sport, measurables matter. A lot. The greatest example of that for me was a much maligned linebacker we had just a few years ago, who was 6 feet tall, but whose arms were those of a a person 5'9". He could bench press 400 pounds and was a high school tackling machine, but a bust for us. I zeroed in on him every play for the Miss State game his senior year and it was sad. They would send someone out to block him and all they had to do was extend their arms and hold the center mass of his jersey and because of his short arms, he was helpless to shed blocks. His effort was great, but physics won every time. We are recruiting at a high level, just not high enough to consistently compete with Bama right now  

Example: Bama  signs a 4 star safety who is 6'2" and 210 out of high school. He has the wingspan of a guy 6'3 and runs a 4.4 forty . We sign a 4 star safety who is 6' and 175 out of high school. He has a wingspan of a guy 5'11" and runs a 4.5 forty. Over the course of four years and an 85 man roster, little things add up. 

Great post.

Maybe it is just me but something that has bugged me for years is when I look at the players at Bama, they just look bigger and stronger.  Maybe it has something to do with what you mentioned, maybe not.  I don't remember the exact players but in the last Iron Bowl, a camera shot showed an Auburn player standing next to a Bama player.  Both were very similar in height and weight but the Bama player just looked thicker, longer and more athletic. 

Now I know that looks means absolutely nothing but, IMO, Bama players are consistently more well developed from a physical/measurables perspective and are very well coached.  Whether or not any of this factors into draft picks, I have no idea but it seems to be the case.

5 minutes ago, Shift said:

Great post.

Maybe it is just me but something that has bugged me for years is when I look at the players at Bama, they just look bigger and stronger.  Maybe it has something to do with what you mentioned, maybe not.  I don't remember the exact players but in the last Iron Bowl, a camera shot showed an Auburn player standing next to a Bama player.  Both were very similar in height and weight but the Bama player just looked thicker, longer and more athletic. 

Now I know that looks means absolutely nothing but, IMO, Bama players are consistently more well developed from a physical/measurables perspective and are very well coached.  Whether or not any of this factors into draft picks, I have no idea but it seems to be the case.

humm makes one wonder................................magic man at work

40 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

humm makes one wonder................................magic man at work

I think it is competition and what Gowebb said at work.  We like to say and think otherwise but...   

AU looks good in the draft every 4 years. Between those times AU can't develope draftable talent for some reason. They opt for project kids/recruits vs more developed kids like OSU and UA. AU is so far away for the OSU, Clemson, and OSU levels when it comes to draft measures  it ain't even funny. Just my honest take. It's quite embarrassing giving the top ten recruiting talent every year. Until AU addresses the lack in developmental facilities and maybe the lack of developmental coaching this will never change. Good luck to Monty and Carl and all the AU guys in the draft 

Good lord... what the hell did Carl and Monty do in their individual workouts???

There are some scrubs getting picked before them... ?!?!?

i know it happens every year, but I thought these guys were elite...

39 minutes ago, lala said:

I think it is competition and what Gowebb said at work.  We like to say and think otherwise but...   

Don't agree but it is what it is

Sometimes I wonder if saban goes to the NFL executives and markets, pushes, and influences them to take his guys.  He has a fairly good reputation in the league evidently.  Just trying to figure out why our 5 stars are not getting drafted as high as others 5 stars. Frustrated for Carl and Monty.  

6 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Sometimes I wonder if saban goes to the NFL executives and markets, pushes, and influences them to take his guys.  He has a fairly good reputation in the league evidently.  Just trying to figure out why our 5 stars are not getting drafted as high as others 5 stars. Frustrated for Carl and Monty.  

It is pretty simple.  Some of our 5 stars are simply not getting as good coaching as those at spuat.  

wde

Drafts & success are a longer conversation. Don't forget athletes peak at different ages - mentally, physically and most of all in maturity. Charles Barkley was one huge baby until 76ers teammate Moses Malone gave him a reality check. Some of these guys with off the charts potential are labeled busts because they lose ambition and the desire to go through NFL hits & pain after a couple million $ sets them up. 

SEC just set a new record with 21 players drafted in the first two rounds (out of the first 58 picks). Still none from AU. I agree with various posters here that it's partly due to lost recruiting battles (see: R Foster, J Davis for example). But Temple, Villanova and some place called Ashland currently have more draftees than AU. 

Obviously I'm biased, but I'm surprised every year at how low our guys get drafted - and how many don't get drafted at all (like Avery Young last year). 

Something has to change with player development - and we need to change the overall perception of AU players by NFL scouts. 

35 minutes ago, casatiger said:

^ This.  From my understanding Saban has a lot of pull in the NFL and it shows.  It is frustrating, but that's life.  Many things are not fair in college football.

It is disappointing for them and AU. Shows where we are and where we need to be. It also shows that LSU and TAM coaches really underperformed. Wow. 

That is ridiculous. Pro teams do not care what so ever who Saban thinks they should draft. Especially, in the first three rounds. 

Do you think it was a mistake for Carl Lawson to skip his senior year? Could he not improve his draft stock by coming back?

Panthers should have taken Carl..perfect chance...Had'nt even heard of the de they chose

1 minute ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Do you think it was a mistake for Carl Lawson to skip his senior year? Could he not improve his draft stock by coming back?

Obviously he didn't expect to last this long...wow...

South Alabama had a player drafted before us YIKES. Lawson like coates was going to come out either way after being a 4 year junior. Nothing was going to convince them otherwise not too. They both got their degree so no problem with me. Monty is the one I am shocked still out there. He had a amazing senior season.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

South Alabama had a player drafted before us YIKES. Lawson like coates was going to come out either way after being a 4 year junior. Nothing was going to convince them otherwise not too. They both got their degree so no problem with me. Monty is the one I am shocked still out there. He had a amazing senior season.

Carl does not have his degree...

the reason he couldn't participate in the senior bowl...

ps - Troy has had a player drafted also...

Meanwhile Sammie Coates, one of our higher round recent draftees, is getting replaced by JuJu Smith-Schuster. We need them to produce when they get there too.

1 minute ago, Altima said:

Carl does not have his degree...

the reason he couldn't participate in the senior bowl...

ps - Troy has had a player drafted also...

I thought he did have his degree but since he was a winter graduate and not summer he could not go to the senior bowl.

47 minutes ago, WeagleAU said:

^ This.  From my understanding Saban has a lot of pull in the NFL and it shows.  It is frustrating, but that's life.  Many things are not fair in college football.

It's not about being fair. It's about how they performed vs big time teams . 

Archived