Monty Adams and Carl Lawson Draft talk

GwillMac6

Congrats to all 4 Auburn draftees. #AlwaysAUFam

Hmmm Ricky Seals-Jones, Malachi Dupre, and KD Cannon all early entry WRs yet to be called....& all former 5 stars

eta- & Dupre just got picked up by the Packers @ #247

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Defensive tackle Devaroe Lawrence has been picked up by the New Orleans Saints, his agent tells AUC.

Offensive tackle Robert Leff picked up by the Atlanta Falcons.

Receiver Tony Stevens picked up by the Kansas City Chiefs.

Defensive tackle Maurice Swain Jr. picked up by the Detroit Lions.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Tracking-where-Auburn-players-land-in-undrafted-free-agency-52556455

Glad he didn't go, but Carlson would have likely gone to Panthers in the 7th Round if he came out this year. 

6 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

There are 32 teams in the NFL, it could be that all 32 GMs are making the exact mistake on the same player or maybe we are biased regarding one of our own. I'll leave it to each of us to decide what the probabilities are. I personally think a 4th round slot is pretty good for him myself. He won't have to worry about $$ regardless now though at least. 

Yeah, because all 32 teams have never missed on a prospect before. Not saying CL should have been higher, but the notion that all 32 teams rarely miss on someone is laughable. They miss on several every single year.

So out of our 4 guys drafted in this draft who do you think will have the best pro career? I think Monty Adams will. He has all the tools and untapped potential. He is at a good organization that will get the most out of him.

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

Mia Khalifa likes this:Sing:!

your on fire tonight!

20 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

your on fire tonight!

Ha! Hoping baseball wins quickly so I can shut it down before my streak ends!

11 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Yeah, because all 32 teams have never missed on a prospect before. Not saying CL should have been higher, but the notion that all 32 teams rarely miss on someone is laughable. They miss on several every single year.

I highly doubt he was insuniate that GMs are perfect in their picks. He was more or less stopping this notion that something is wrong with the NFL since our auburn tiger  Carl Lawson didn't go higher. More than a few people on this thread have hinted at that . Chances are CL belonged where he was as the trend of teams didn't think he was worth a day 1 or 2 shot, particularly the steelers who supposedly was very interested in him.

13 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Well sure they do but most don't have the known injury history Carl has. It's not an accident or coincidence this happened. Also, most prospects that are missed are from small schools that aren't a nationally recognized power. There is always the exception to the rule. 

As much as I hate to say this, but this draft shows why 4 and 5 star recruits are wanting to be at Bama and Ohio State and LSU and other program more so than going to AU. Many on these forums have stated, and correctly I might add, that AU has as many talented players as any school in the NCAA but they're not getting developed. I know there are some kids who know they're not going to be NFL prospects, but a lot of these kids DO dream of that, and that's why Bama is being so much more successful at recruiting than AU is---and yes, I do believe the REC helps out a good bit as well. Whether or not the Bama players actually survive in the NFL is a different matter---Saban gets them there, and once they get there, it's up to them to stay. 

Guest WarEagleSteve
13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

So out of our 4 guys drafted in this draft who do you think will have the best pro career? I think Monty Adams will. He has all the tools and untapped potential. He is at a good organization that will get the most out of him.

I would lean towards Monty as well. Auburn has a fairly consistent recent history of having very productive college DEs go on to middling NFL careers (Corey Lemonier, Antonio Coleman, Quentin Groves) and Carl does have a pretty significant injury history to boot. 

Guest WarEagleSteve
4 minutes ago, AURandy56 said:

As much as I hate to say this, but this draft shows why 4 and 5 star recruits are wanting to be at Bama and Ohio State and LSU and other program more so than going to AU. Many on these forums have stated, and correctly I might add, that AU has as many talented players as any school in the NCAA but they're not getting developed. I know there are some kids who know they're not going to be NFL prospects, but a lot of these kids DO dream of that, and that's why Bama is being so much more successful at recruiting than AU is---and yes, I do believe the REC helps out a good bit as well. Whether or not the Bama players actually survive in the NFL is a different matter---Saban gets them there, and once they get there, it's up to them to stay. 

If we're being honest, talent has not been the issue at AU for the last few years. The talent is and has been there. The three programs you mentioned beat AU in recruiting for several reasons and the draft is only a piece of that. LSU is the only major school in a talent rich state and has a decade-plus long history of feeding these kids into the NFL AND having them stick around. Ohio State and Alabama have national brands, a strong history of putting kids in the league, AND both of their coaches can credibly claim that if you come to their schools, you WILL play for a national title or at least make the playoffs before you leave. Also, just because you put a lot of players in the NFL does not mean recruiting/on field success will follow. Miami and Notre Dame both send a lot of players to the NFL and outside of Notre Dame's ill fated national title run a few years ago, neither of them are particularly successful on the field. 

2 hours ago, AURandy56 said:

4 players in the 1st round, 3 players in the 2nd round and 2 players in the 3rd round before we had our first player drafted. They then had another player drafted in the 4th round. They had 10 players drafted before Carl was drafted. Recruits see SEC championship trophies, National Championship rings, draft picks and win totals and want to be a part of that. Until we beat them on the field, nothing will change. 

20 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Should he have returned for his senior year? Did it cost him a few mill entering a year early? Who told him to enter the draft early to be a 4th round pick?

Just asking...thoughts?

I have a much different question. Why can't a kid apply for the draft and if they're not drafted or not drafted high enough, return to college?  That would be in the best interest of the players. The current system benefits the NFL GMs and agents. 

To answer your original question (or at least give my opinion) the biggest knock on Carl is injury history and short arm reach. Neither would improve with another year of college football. Also, the commitment to play college football is a grueling year round meat grinder. After 4 years, kids want to start seeing a paycheck. 

2 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

If we're being honest, talent has not been the issue at AU for the last few years. The talent is and has been there. The three programs you mentioned beat AU in recruiting for several reasons and the draft is only a piece of that. LSU is the only major school in a talent rich state and has a decade-plus long history of feeding these kids into the NFL AND having them stick around. Ohio State and Alabama have national brands, a strong history of putting kids in the league, AND both of their coaches can credibly claim that if you come to their schools, you WILL play for a national title or at least make the playoffs before you leave. Also, just because you put a lot of players in the NFL does not mean recruiting/on field success will follow. Miami and Notre Dame both send a lot of players to the NFL and outside of Notre Dame's ill fated national title run a few years ago, neither of them are particularly successful on the field. 

The numbers of draft picks the past few seasons relative to Bama, LSU, USC, Ohio St, etc...tell a different story. We have had very good talent but are behind in NFL talent.   

Guest WarEagleSteve
7 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The numbers of draft picks the past few seasons relative to Bama, LSU, USC, Ohio St, etc...tell a different story. We have had very good talent but are behind in NFL talent.   

You're right in that aspect but I would argue that producing NFL talent does not always correlate to on field success at the college level. Example: Over the last five years, Missouri, Arkansas, South Carolina, North Carolina, Miami, and Iowa have all produced more NFL draft picks than Auburn. 

Archived