Monty Adams and Carl Lawson Draft talk

GwillMac6

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I have a much different question. Why can't a kid apply for the draft and if they're not drafted or not drafted high enough, return to college?  That would be in the best interest of the players. The current system benefits the NFL GMs and agents. 

To answer your original question (or at least give my opinion) the biggest knock on Carl is injury history and short arm reach. Neither would improve with another year of college football. Also, the commitment to play college football is a grueling year round meat grinder. After 4 years, kids want to start seeing a paycheck. 

All good points.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let this sink in: South Alabama, which has had a football program for less than a decade, had a player drafted in the NFL before Auburn did. Some school called Ashland had a player drafted before Auburn did. That's embarrassing. 

37 minutes ago, AURandy56 said:

Let this sink in: South Alabama, which has had a football program for less than a decade, had a player drafted in the NFL before Auburn did. Some school called Ashland had a player drafted before Auburn did. That's embarrassing. 

Not really. The NFL HoF is littered with small school guys. It would be very embarrassing, though, if they had more guys drafted.

“15 Steals…”

MONTRAVIUS ADAMS, NO. 93, PACKERS

Adams is a divisive prospect, but anyone who saw him at the Senior Bowl saw a player capable of wreaking havoc from the middle of the defensive line — a rare and powerful weapon. Even in a defensive line class that had a concentrated amount of players poised to be taken on the second day, it was surprising Adams went at No. 93. He was a player who could have been selected in the pick No. 50 range.”

8/16 slides @ http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/15-steals-in-the-2017-nfl-draft/ss-BBAy5Ua?li=BBnba9I&ocid=mailsignout#image=8

CARL LAWSON, NO. 116, BENGALS

Lawson fell for a reason -- he was a fringe first-round prospect who dropped to Day 2 because of injury concerns. But for him to fall to Day 3 was strange — he might not have been able to stay healthy at Auburn, but when he was on the field, he was a one-man wrecking crew. The Bengals might have landed a top 15 overall pass rusher talent with a pick that carries no risk.”

13/16 slides @ http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/15-steals-in-the-2017-nfl-draft/ss-BBAy5Ua?li=BBnba9I&ocid=mailsignout#image=13

Jeremy Johnson got invited to a mini-camp tryout on May 11 for the New York football Giants.

If a underclassman declares for the draft, but does not hire an agent, can't they go back to school and play if they are not happy with the draft results?

10 minutes ago, AURandy56 said:

If a underclassman declares for the draft, but does not hire an agent, can't they go back to school and play if they are not happy with the draft results?

No not with the current rules.  Coaches like Saban are currently trying to change that though.

I am actually really happy with our Draft results.  Could not be more excited to Holsey.  I hope he really makes it.  I hate to see people like Mixon get rewarded for their behavior, and he was not the only one either.  I look forward to watching Lawson.  Sure will miss him.  And JJ gets a tryout!  Icing on the cake right there.  At least he can say he gave it his all.

19 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

The numbers of draft picks the past few seasons relative to Bama, LSU, USC, Ohio St, etc...tell a different story. We have had very good talent but are behind in NFL talent.   

High school talent becomes NFL caliber talent at the college level.  Player development has been a deficiency at Auburn for many years.  

I suppose development is just another in the long, long list of lessons Gus is learning on the job.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

No not with the current rules.  Coaches like Saban are currently trying to change that though.

I am actually really happy with our Draft results.  Could not be more excited to Holsey.  I hope he really makes it.  I hate to see people like Mixon get rewarded for their behavior, and he was not the only one either.  I look forward to watching Lawson.  Sure will miss him.  And JJ gets a tryout!  Icing on the cake right there.  At least he can say he gave it his all.

I'm not positive but they can return to college if they don't hire an agent. Maybe.

18 minutes ago, api1957 said:

I'm not positive but they can return to college if they don't hire an agent. Maybe.

I think you are thinking of the NBA.  If it is after the draft they can't come back.  That is why players have to declare before National Signing Day so coaches know if they can fill that scholarship spot or not.

In the NBA all they did was move their withdrawal deadline back to may and the draft is in june. You can go through the NBA draft combine and still pull your name out if you have not hired a agent.

27 minutes ago, alexava said:

Once you enter the NFL draft you are done with college football. 

T'is a pity.

5 hours ago, AURandy56 said:

They should do like college basketball . See if they grade high enough and if not be allowed to comeback.

Ok, then, so which of the kids you just signed to scholarships in your 85 scholarship limit do you tell "no thanks, nevermind, Jim Bob is coming back after all so we don't have a spot for you anymore."

This is one of those cases where making a new rule "in the interest of the player" would come at the expense of other potential players. I imagine that, to protect themselves, college coaches would organically institute the same system we have now, namely that if you leave to try for the draft you are going to be replaced.

NSD is in February. The draft is in April. There is literally no way to make that system work without moving one or the other.

18 hours ago, DAG said:

They should do like college basketball . See if they grade high enough and if not be allowed to comeback.

They already do something similar in college football.  They can tell you ahead of time if they think you will be drafted in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounds.  They won't tell you any rounds after that to persuade you to stay.  That is why Kris Frost stayed his senior season.  They told him to go back to school for his senior season.

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

They already do something similar in college football.  They can tell you ahead of time if they think you will be drafted in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd rounds.  They won't tell you any rounds after that to persuade you to stay.  That is why Kris Frost stayed his senior season.  They told him to go back to school for his senior season.

Kozan should've come back IMO. He had another year to prove his back was solid.

Carl Lawson gets a lot of love on here -- and he should -- he seems like a great person, by all accounts, that went through a lot during his time here and persevered and gave us a very good season to wrap up his career. But if we are comparing modern DEs......Dee Ford > Carl Lawson -- I know, I know...real heavy hitting stuff there one guy was a 1st rounder and one was a 4th rounder-- but it's almost shocking how little love Dee Ford gets around here compared to CL.

Very happy for Monty. I hope he has a long career in GB.

Also, we tend to boost our own guys up a ton. It was widely accepted on here Lawson and Monty would be gone in the first 2 rounds (and it wasn't just this year where people said that). Where would they have fallen if they both declared last year? Probably 5th-6th rounders. It seems odd that we had these 2 guys who actually improved their stock over last year and they were debating going pro the previous season and still were on the board in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Obviously family needs change things but...

Not disagreeing with the thought that our player development needs work but one thing to keep in mind is that we have an almost absurd number of returning starters coming back on both sides of the ball for next season. 17 or 18 guys coming back. That by itself will affect our draft numbers for this year.

Archived