Quarterbacks

corchjay

This looks to be shaping up as true test of talent and heart.  Stidham has all the talent you are looking for 6' 2" 215lbs with size and arm talent vs. White 6' 210lbs with fight and desire.  That's not to say that White doesn't have talent because he does and that Stidham doesn't have heart.  They are actually good compliments for each other and hopefully can bring out the best in each other.  Stidham "wowed" the crowd at A-Day with his deep passes and appeared to have a very good basic understanding of the offense.  Downside is he hasn't faced the overall team speed he will face week in and week out in the SEC so there is still a little unknown factor there of how he will react on the road in a hostile environment that he hasn't faced yet with all the pressure to win.  Sean has that advantage in the experience department.  

The race will come down to who CCL feels more comfortable with and I think that will be Stidham.  He is just able to do some things White can't do.  

The other backups Willis and Barrett both have things to work on.  Willis has a nice arm but has to put a lot of body into his throws to really get that zip on it.  How does he look with pressure in face throwing over the middle?  We don't have that answer.  As far as Barrett is concerned I'm not sure what isn't clicking for him.  He has great athleticism, strong arm, nice frame, and time in the program.  I don't think the staff has given up on yet but he needs to improve on whatever it is the coaches want him to improve on. 

Depth chart -

Stidham

White

Willis/Barrett

walkon - Adams

Personally I think either White or Stidham can carry this team to 10 win+ and it's good that hopefully the coaches have the confidence to run the full offense if the starter were to get injured again.  Can't wait to see these guys improve over the summer and compete in fall camp.

Wildcat QB - I expect KJ will remain the wildcat QB however I don't think he will have the opportunities he had last year.  Short yardage sometimes, first down runs sometimes, and goal line sometimes is what I expect.  

Lastly, it appeared the past couple years there was a division on this board for who their favorite was at QB.  I hope this year we are pulling for all of our QBs and not just our agenda.  

War Eagle!

Thoughts? 

First time in a long time I can honestly say that I'm confident in 2 guys to get us to 10 wins. They'll do it in very different ways, but I'm glad we have both... Just in case

15 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

It doesn't help much for discussion purposes but I kinda feel there is no discussion.  

Barring injury that is.

I'm sure there are some other opinions out there.  Like some will think Willis will jump White?  or Willis redshirt or not?

7 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'm sure there are some other opinions out there.  Like some will think Willis will jump White?  or Willis redshirt or not?

JMO but there is no point in jumping Willis over White....unless Stidham were to get hurt and he shows that level of play and leadership.   Who ever is the back up ....JS or SW....either is plenty solid and can take the team to 10 wins.  

Hoping Willis does red shirt.....give him a year to develop physically, etc...and save a season too.    As for WB?   boy I just don't know....barring a major set of injuries, I just don't see him playing QB at AU...he has all the positives you mentioned but seems to be behind the other 3 and kind of hard to imagine that he can jump any of them as long as they stay healthy. 

I think Willis red shirts and WB is named 3rd unless JS or SW go down to injury. Then I would expect Willis to jump Woody.  

As far as the starter goes, I'm in the camp that thinks both can bring us 10+ wins, but I also think we will be more dynamic with JS. 

I've tried paying attention to Woody's mechanics and don't see any major flaws.  Everyone needs refreshers on them occasionally.  My question is does he have small hands?  To me the limited number of clips just appear either something in his hand at release causes him to be inaccurate.  Even on short passes.  For example the ball needs to be right side of the WR at knee height.  His ball might be left side of the WR at waist height.

15 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think Willis red shirts and WB is named 3rd unless JS or SW go down to injury. Then I would expect Willis to jump Woody.  

As far as the starter goes, I'm in the camp that thinks both can bring us 10+ wins, but I also think we will be more dynamic with JS. 

I know there is no true declaration of redshirting but if he is going to redshirt can he be on the travel squad or is 4 QB's to many?  I think he needs to experience road games.

11 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I've tried paying attention to Woody's mechanics and don't see any major flaws.  Everyone needs refreshers on them occasionally.  My question is does he have small hands?  To me the limited number of clips just appear either something in his hand at release causes him to be inaccurate.  Even on short passes.  For example the ball needs to be right side of the WR at knee height.  His ball might be left side of the WR at waist height.

From what I've heard, his only issues are between his ears. And when I see a 2nd-year guy that has all the physical tools fall behind a true freshman almost immediately, I tend to assume that anyway. Also, looking back on last year, if he couldn't see the field with all the problems we had at QB- even as a true FR, and even with Gus's bizarre distrust of his own players- well, that doesn't help the impression.

Agree w/ @bigbird's assessment of the pecking (hehe) order. Mainly because I heard it from him and maybe a couple other people who know way more than me. But it makes perfect sense. Super excited about Willis and I hope we can keep that redshirt on him this season. 

To me, at this point, the biggest questions are about OC. Is he the guy, and if he is, will HC let him be the guy? A different thread, for sure, but I guess it's my way of saying that I think we've got the personnel if leadership does its job. 

23 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I know there is no true declaration of redshirting but if he is going to redshirt can he be on the travel squad or is 4 QB's to many?  I think he needs to experience road games.

I believe he can still travel

55 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

From what I've heard, his only issues are between his ears. And when I see a 2nd-year guy that has all the physical tools fall behind a true freshman almost immediately, I tend to assume that anyway. Also, looking back on last year, if he couldn't see the field with all the problems we had at QB- even as a true FR, and even with Gus's bizarre distrust of his own players- well, that doesn't help the impression.

Agree w/ @bigbird's assessment of the pecking (hehe) order. Mainly because I heard it from him and maybe a couple other people who know way more than me. But it makes perfect sense. Super excited about Willis and I hope we can keep that redshirt on him this season. 

To me, at this point, the biggest questions are about OC. Is he the guy, and if he is, will HC let him be the guy? A different thread, for sure, but I guess it's my way of saying that I think we've got the personnel if leadership does its job. 

What's the better chance?

Will the HC let the OC be that guy

Or

Will Willis get to redshirt?

3 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

What's the better chance?

Will the HC let the OC be that guy

Or

Will Willis get to redshirt?

Hmm. Good question. All depends on Stidham staying healthy, I think. Which might require an affirmative answer to the first question, lol. 

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

I think Willis will push White for the 2nd spot but will redshirt. Not going to burn Willis' reshirt unless both Stidham and White do down. IMO. 

Will say this, if Lindsey is as good of a QB coach as advertised, AU is the best position at QB that it's been in, well can't remember. That good. 3 goods ones on the team, 1 comitted and another in Nix in 2019. That is deep from a depth stand point. ^-^

Saw this in another AU forum & hope the AU coaches take note. If Chip is as good as WDE noted above & w/ the UNC QB getting picked #2 overall after only 13 college starts, Stidham could easily leave after this year with a big & healthy season. If he stays healthy he will have over a season & a half of playing college ball under his belt and if he replicates his Baylor per game stats he could project highly. I hope the staff stays focused on developing Sean & Malik should the above potentially happen.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I think Willis will push White for the 2nd spot but will redshirt. Not going to burn Willis' reshirt unless both Stidham and White do down. IMO. 

Will say this, if Lindsey is as good of a QB coach as advertised, AU is the best position at QB that it's been in, well can't remember. That good. 3 goods ones on the team, 1 comitted and another in Nix in 2019. That is deep from a depth stand point. ^-^

What about when we had Nick Marshal backed up by Jeremy Johnson and Sean White redshirting?  Wasn't that long ago.  :bananadance:

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Saw this in another AU forum & hope the AU coaches take note. If Chip is as good as WDE noted above & w/ the UNC QB getting picked #2 overall after only 13 college starts, Stidham could easily leave after this year with a big & healthy season. If he stays healthy he will have over a season & a half of playing college ball under his belt and if he replicates his Baylor per game stats he could project highly. I hope the staff stays focused on developing Sean & Malik should the above potentially happen.

It also depends on how well Trubisky does in his first year.  If he tanks, scouts will be more cautious.  This is similar when Florida State kicker Aguayo was drafted and did not start his rookie season well at all.  That had to play into Carlson returning this upcoming year.

Why not have White start all of the smaller games to keep the rust off, and keep Stidham healthy?  99.9% chance that will never ever happen, but just a thought.  I would be very surprised if Woody is here come February 2018.  With the depth chart the way it is, and the incoming players, honestly it would be in his best interest to transfer if his heart is set on QB.  I never like to see Auburn kids transfer, but this is a strong possibility.

34 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It also depends on how well Trubisky does in his first year.  If he tanks, scouts will be more cautious.  This is similar when Florida State kicker Aguayo was drafted and did not start his rookie season well at all.  That had to play into Carlson returning this upcoming year.

Why not have White start all of the smaller games to keep the rust off, and keep Stidham healthy?  99.9% chance that will never ever happen, but just a thought.  I would be very surprised if Woody is here come February 2018.  With the depth chart the way it is, and the incoming players, honestly it would be in his best interest to transfer if his heart is set on QB.  I never like to see Auburn kids transfer, but this is a strong possibility.

I will say that my UNC friends are stunned that he got drafted that high...none of them hold him in so much regard despite all the yards he has racked up....and these are people who have seen him a lot. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Quarterbacks
10 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Why not have White start all of the smaller games to keep the rust off, and keep Stidham healthy?

Because that's taking a game & team for granted & disrespecting them. It also sends the wrong message to your players about focus, effort, & having a mental edge. If 1s are healthy they should play til a game is over or blown out.

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

I will say that my UNC friends are stunned that he got drafted that high...none of them hold him in so much regard despite all the yards he has racked up....and these are people who have seen him a lot. 

I don't think he is good enough to be #2 overall based on what I have seen, but he was lucky enough to come out in a weak QB class overall.  There are always a few teams that have a primary need for a franchise QB that need to make sure they get the best available QB. As we have seen this draft,  teams are way overpaying to make sure they don't miss out on the top tier of this class.  I personally think Watson will be a beast at Houston.  Perfect spot for him to shine. I think Trubisky will sustain,  and Mahomme will be a bust. Just a gut feeling on that one. Actually think the Browns did well, getting Kizer late. I would have thought it a worse pick if sooner in the draft. 

To get back on topic,  I am pretty happy with our QB situation right now.  Crazy how perspective can change in 1 offseason. 

While we all do feel better about our QB situation, it is based on 1 spring so some tempering may be needed. We all know that under Gus, AU offense has been good when we have had dynamic QB play. With that said I hope JS can perform at that level. He certainly shows signs of it. It also looked like MW is the future. Because of that I would love to see him get game reps this year. In mop up games he needs to get as many reps as anyone. In games that are close and JS comes out for whatever reason, then I could see SW in there. 

I am in agreement with the people saying there really is not a competition this fall. I like Shaun a lot, but I saw too many passes while falling backwards completely out of control. His being injury prone is another reason I would lean in a different direction. I think chemistry is a big factor in success....we had that as the season went on in Cam's year, and in the years Marshall was our QB. When injuries happen it is hard to keep the chemistry. 

8 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I am in agreement with the people saying there really is not a competition this fall. I like Shaun a lot, but I saw too many passes while falling backwards completely out of control. His being injury prone is another reason I would lean in a different direction. I think chemistry is a big factor in success....we had that as the season went on in Cam's year, and in the years Marshall was our QB. When injuries happen it is hard to keep the chemistry. 

Interestingly enough, the team chemistry was better with Sean on the field last year (see the Vanderbilt game), but that was mainly due to the fact he was our best option at the position.  This years team's chemistry is yet to be determined, but I can see JS having a good chemistry with the team as the Summer progresses.  Very optimistic about the upcoming campaign. 

I'm interested to see if Adams wouldn't be ahead of Woody in the depth chart.  I really wish they had played Woody a lot more in the spring game if they intend to redshirt Willis.  Maybe give Woody a couple reps with the first team in the second half and see if he looked better.  

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I'm interested to see if Adams wouldn't be ahead of Woody in the depth chart.  I really wish they had played Woody a lot more in the spring game if they intend to redshirt Willis.  Maybe give Woody a couple reps with the first team in the second half and see if he looked better.  

It doesn't matter since that's the 4th string for next season. If Jarrett & Sean go down Malik will play & lose his RS before Woody plays. Unfortunately for him Woody has not shown the focus & interest to improve on and off the field like he needs to.

With reference to the initial post I may be the lone ranger here but I don't care if I ever see the Wildcat again. No slight to KJ either because I think he has gotten pretty good results. I don't mind it as much if the one taking the snap is already on the field but to have to substitute inside the five yard line is not optimal. It can kill momentum and I guess I've seen too many field goals that we had first and goal on. Otherwise we seem to be in great shape at QB. For some reason I can't explain I thought of two movies I liked, Air Force One (Stidham) and True Grit (White). I like them both for different reasons. 

Archived