Quarterbacks

corchjay

Guest WarEagleSteve
On 4/28/2017 at 11:27 AM, ellitor said:

Saw this in another AU forum & hope the AU coaches take note. If Chip is as good as WDE noted above & w/ the UNC QB getting picked #2 overall after only 13 college starts, Stidham could easily leave after this year with a big & healthy season. If he stays healthy he will have over a season & a half of playing college ball under his belt and if he replicates his Baylor per game stats he could project highly. I hope the staff stays focused on developing Sean & Malik should the above potentially happen.

I think the overall strength (or lack thereof) of next year's QB draft class may factor into that significantly. Trubisky went #2 overall because this year's class was fairly weak and there are always teams that get desperate where quarterbacks are concerned (side note, the Bears are utter morons for drafting him the way they did). If next year's class is stronger (and as of right now it looks like it will be) and Stidham plays well but doesn't set the world on fire then he may hang around. 

On 4/29/2017 at 1:40 AM, ellitor said:

Because that's taking a game & team for granted & disrespecting them. It also sends the wrong message to your players about focus, effort, & having a mental edge. If 1s are healthy they should play til a game is over or blown out.

I would never want to disrespect any team.  That would never be my will or intention.  But is there really a difference between resting Stidham all game, compared to playing him for a quarter and then sitting him like most teams, including us, would do?

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I would never want to disrespect any team.  That would never be my will or intention.  But is there really a difference between resting Stidham all game, compared to playing him for a quarter and then sitting him like most teams, including us, would do?

I am not sure I have ever seen us play someone 1 quarter and then pull them. In most mismatches, first groups will play most if not all of the first half and sometimes a series in the 2nd half.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

It would be different if he were a returning starter, if this wasn't our OC's first season, and if we had a ton of experience across our offense but none of these things are true. These players need all the live game reps with CCL calling the plays that they can get. Yes, some players will need rest here and there when they can get it, but not the QB, not this year, and certainly not for entire quarters other than maybe the 4th in one or two games. 

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It would be different if he were a returning starter, if this wasn't our OC's first season, and if we had a ton of experience across our offense but none of these things are true. These players need all the live game reps with CCL calling the plays that they can get. Yes, some players will need rest here and there when they can get it, but not the QB, not this year, and certainly not for entire quarters other than maybe the 4th in one or two games. 

Fair enough.  I just worry about someone getting hurt.  It has happened before.  Holsey got hurt in one of these games and was out for the year.

If I was Nix, I would pause and think carefully if Aub signed 3....2?  No, but 3?  Probably so.

58 minutes ago, Beaker said:

If I was Nix, I would pause and think carefully if Aub signed 3....2?  No, but 3?  Probably so.

They will sign only 2

Regardless of how many QB'S the coaches sign I just hope they sign players who fit into the system. Tyler Queen and SW don't really fit into this offense.

11 hours ago, Beaker said:

Just my 2 cents, but I believe Woody's departure does absolutely nothing to the coachs' plan at QB. The moment Woody got passed by the walkon on the depth chart was the moment they realized he would never take a meaningful snap at QB and the reason they had already decided to get 2 QBs in 2018.  The good news is that this frees up a scholly for another position, like maybe another Safety. ?‍♂️

8 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Tyler Queen and SW don't really fit into this offense.

How much of Chip Lindsey's offense have you watched? He's been an offensive coordinator for 3 years at 2 schools. 

Also, how much of Tyler Queen have you watched? How much of Sean have you watched in "this offense"? 

What kind of player "fits into the system"? 2015 at Southern Miss was probably the high water mark for Chip Lindsey's system/offense. Who was the quarterback that season? What qualities made him the right fit?

11 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Tyler Queen and SW don't really fit into this offense.

I'm guessing he meant the Cam/Nick make it happen offense that was in place when those guys were recruited.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

I'm guessing he meant the Cam/Nick make it happen offense that was in place when those guys were recruited.

This offense is not THAT offense anymore. 

And i agree. who knows how a QB WOULD have excelled in our offense, when TQ never got an opportunity with his injuries. SW can fit a majority of offenses. Other than his lack of deep ball accuracy and strength, he has the mental tools. His problem again was his ability to stay healthy. 

Archived