Softball vs. Mississippi State - game 1

Another great job for Carlson. Seriously, we have to do something at short.  Jordan didn't play like this last year.  Those chances were not that difficult.  Very happy to see her get that double.  Glad we got the win, but couldn't have done it without State's help.  One crucial error and six walks.  Let's get some hits tomorrow.  Oh, and a tipof the hat to MSU's left fielder for picking off Cooper's bid for extra bases in the first.

Anyone else have about 100 stream stoppages?  I didn't even know Wallace threw out a runner until I read this. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

War Eagle!

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Another great job for Carlson. Seriously, we have to do something at short.  Jordan didn't play like this last year.  Those chances were not that difficult.  Very happy to see her get that double.  Glad we got the win, but couldn't have done it without State's help.  One crucial error and six walks.  Let's get some hits tomorrow.  Oh, and a tipof the hat to MSU's left fielder for picking off Cooper's bid for extra bases in the first.

Anyone else have about 100 stream stoppages?  I didn't even know Wallace threw out a runner until I read this. 

I was mostly watching the baseball game and it dropped out a number of times ....once for several minutes. 

I could not get into this game tonight. And by the way , does Jordan's performance at short hasten the day that Fagan is back on the field. ? Those errors could have been fatal. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I was mostly watching the baseball game and it dropped out a number of times ....once for several minutes. 

I could not get into this game tonight. And by the way , does Jordan's performance at short hasten the day that Fagan is back on the field. ? Those errors could have been fatal. 

I was wondering the same thing, so a lot of other people must be.  Yeah, that third error put a lot of pressure on Carlson.  Seitz had already hit one bomb.  Went from a routine mopping up to high drama.  One swing could give State the lead.  BTW, why wasn't Gipson in uniform?  Her injury acting up?

I am disappointed in Whitney's performance when playing. While she did have the occasional hiccup on defense last year, she did a good job.  Her hitting struggled last year but it's abysmal this year.  I thought she would have progressed, instead of regressed.  I guess some of it comes from not playing everyday. Then again,  if she played better,  she would be in the lineup more.  I have always rooted for Whitney and hopes she can break out of it.  Her homerun against OU was key to that victory last year in the CWS

Not Easy for the players to be moving around from one position to another. By now, we should have had a settled lineup but of course, the recent drama has forced the coaches to improvise 

This team has been winning with smoke and mirrors anyway. With Cooper not having anything like the season she's had for the prior two years and no (that's ZERO) hitters stepping up to replace those that graduated, I don't see how the won/loss record is as good as it is.

PS: No, I'm not downing the team or players. I've been attending a few AU softball games every year and rooting for the team since the current facility was built, long before Coach Meyers came here. However, facts are facts. We're capable of scoring only a few runs against the SEC's bottom line pitchers. Something needs to change at the plate and I don't see that happening until some new hitters come on board.

5 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Move McCrackin to short and Crocker at 2nd, gonna happen next year

If this happens, the production at the plate for both players must improve.  

34 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If this happens, the production at the plate for both players must improve.  

Looks to me like coach searching for anyone who might be able to hit a little bit...and he will then find a place for her to play....with the quality of pitching we have, perhaps accepting a few errors a game is a reasonable trade-off for someone who can produce a BA of .250 or so and help score some runs. 

12 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Another great job for Carlson. Seriously, we have to do something at short.  Jordan didn't play like this last year.  Those chances were not that difficult.

Jordan will probably never admit it and nothing has been reported (Coach Myers is somewhat Belichick when it comes to discussing injuries, which is understandable), but Jordan did not look like her normal self before the game, during warmups, in the game, and definitely post game.  She looked really stiff and uncomfortable.  Not making excuses for her, and she would never want anyone to as she is a fierce competitor, but hoping she is ok. Great kid that has had a tough year, but hoping she can make something happen at the right time.

6 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Probably not, if it plays out as they plan. She will work some (maybe more) at SS, but barring injuries she is slated to spend more time at 2B. 

9 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

BTW, why wasn't Gipson in uniform?  Her injury acting up?

Doesn't look or sound like it ever healed from the last surgery. She is slated to have surgery on it again. Given her lack of activity and not dressing the last 2 games, it could be flaring up even more and could make surgery come sooner than later. Poor kid has had some tough injuries she has continuously had to battle through.  

7 hours ago, auburnphan said:

I had the same thought, as Crack played sparingly at short last year; but Crocker is playing 2d because (I think) she's better at the plate.  Next year, Taylon Snow will be available.  Let's hope she brings a potent bat.  Until Coach is ready to use Fagan, we might see McCrackin in the game late for defense.

Mikey said no one has stepped up to replace the departed hitters.  I would say that Rivera is an exception to that; she's around .400, although she had two disappointing strikeouts last night.

As to the smoke-and-mirrors comment above, I'm also a bit in wonder that we've done this well; but I guess that is coaching every aspect of the game, and why Clint has been to OKC numerous times.  We had two clean hits last night, from Shea and Jordan;  add 7 walks and the error on Draper's chopper, and voila!  Four runs.  I'm also thinking we may have decided to run more.  Seems to me we've stolen more bases lately.  Gotta look those numbers up.

It does seem we have been more aggressive running and small ball with the new lineup.  Probably a smart decision.  Fornis pinch hit last night to lay down a sac bunt.  Don't recall when we have done that in last 2 years. With good plate discipline overall in the team, it may be a good approach with the way Kaylee is ringing them up in the circle.  It seems her approach has been for more Ks instead of contact as well.  Again maybe because of less confidence in defense play.

I also thought we have been more aggressive on the bases recently.

i don't think we are great at anything.  But very good st things other teams are not.  Those have made the difference.

6 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Mikey said no one has stepped up to replace the departed hitters.  I would say that Rivera is an exception to that; she's around .400, although she had two disappointing strikeouts last night.

I like your user name (my drink is Maker's Mark and the song is a long-time favorite of mine) and your softball comments. Agree Rivera has come through in some recent games. However, Rivera and all the replacements combined have not provided anywhere near to the firepower lost with the graduation of Carasone, Rhodes and Howard plus the decline in Cooper's numbers. Last season it was "We're done after the 5 spot until Howard comes up". This year, with Fagan out it's pretty much "We're done after Wallace until Wallace comes up again".

WOW! The Tigers wins 3 straight over Miss. State in ladies softball and in baseball on the same weekend. Like I said before, WOW!

12 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

WOW! The Tigers wins 3 straight over Miss. State in ladies softball and in baseball on the same weekend. Like I said before, WOW!

close but not quite like that

Archived