Running Backs

corchjay

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

I think KMart has the potential to be deadly in the swing/screen/crossing route game.

IF he catches the ball. UGA game and ADay didn't look good. Like his wheels though!

I agree with the assessment of K-Mart. I could have caught that one he dropped in the A-Day game. I would rather him drop a sure touchdown in the spring game as opposed to one that counts.

I like our RB talent and depth. It's not the Grand Slam some think it is, but we're in good shape IMHO. 

However, RB is a position where you can never be too deep or talented. (see 2015/16 AU off season into mid/late 2016 season for all the evidence you need)

I am more optimistic about RB than any other position. That might not be saying too much for me this season but I think we're in for a treat at the position. 

Bubba is obviously what any team wants in a RB1 and when he and kerryon are both healthy, that'll be a solid 1-2 punch. Keeping those two healthy the entire season might be a difficult task but needs to be done. Even if it means keeping Bubba's name off the heisman list, at least early on. 

I know this forum seems to dislike the idea of jf3 getting the ball due to ball security and what not but I could see him being extremely effective in both a wildcat role and the RB role Truitt provided us with last year. Don't know if we'll need to see JF at RB as we might be too deep once fall camp starts but I wouldn't be surprised to see him worked into the backfield, if for nothing else, defenses will adjust and swarm to him which could work in our favor if we've gotten past the stage of "run it up the middle every first down." 

My pre-season hype for watching a RB (Bubba) hasn't been this high since likely 2011. I hope I'm not pumping too much sunshine, I know I am at least a little, but I've got high hopes for our run game this season. Hopefully we'll be passing a lot more so we can give our RBs a little more to play with (aka not facing 9 in the box 2/3s of the time). 

I believe the Baylor team JS played on was one of the ones that had a fantastic run game so being able to offer him the same thing will hopefully help yield similar results. 

3 hours ago, Charhair said:

I am more optimistic about RB than any other position. That might not be saying too much for me this season but I think we're in for a treat at the position. 

Bubba is obviously what any team wants in a RB1 and when he and kerryon are both healthy, that'll be a solid 1-2 punch. Keeping those two healthy the entire season might be a difficult task but needs to be done. Even if it means keeping Bubba's name off the heisman list, at least early on. 

I know this forum seems to dislike the idea of jf3 getting the ball due to ball security and what not but I could see him being extremely effective in both a wildcat role and the RB role Truitt provided us with last year. Don't know if we'll need to see JF at RB as we might be too deep once fall camp starts but I wouldn't be surprised to see him worked into the backfield, if for nothing else, defenses will adjust and swarm to him which could work in our favor if we've gotten past the stage of "run it up the middle every first down." 

My pre-season hype for watching a RB (Bubba) hasn't been this high since likely 2011. I hope I'm not pumping too much sunshine, I know I am at least a little, but I've got high hopes for our run game this season. Hopefully we'll be passing a lot more so we can give our RBs a little more to play with (aka not facing 9 in the box 2/3s of the time). 

I believe the Baylor team JS played on was one of the ones that had a fantastic run game so being able to offer him the same thing will hopefully help yield similar results. 

Skeet back?

(Pull)

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:33 AM, bigbird said:

I think KMart has the potential to be deadly in the swing/screen/crossing route game.

If he can catch the ball.

On 4/29/2017 at 8:54 AM, corchjay said:

One thing for sure under CGM production from the running backs have been incredible however they benefit from getting 50 carries a game.  Still the average yard per carry has been good as well.  From a traditional spread type offense CGM's rushing attack is by far the best in the country.  

Enter CCL and things look to be changing. We will always have a "thumper" but the the smaller backs will be asked to do much more in the screen, drag, and wheel routes in the passing scheme.  Finding ways to get them the ball in different ways.

I can see production coming similar to this Bubba 18 carries 2 receptions, KJ 8 carries 5 receptions, Miller 8 carries 1 reception, and KMart 3 carries 1 reception. 

I hope to see more substitutions at the position.  I'm cool with using the hot hand but not game after game after game.  30 carries per game for 3-4 games back to back is just to much.

Projected Depth Chart

Bubba

KJ

Miller

*Barrett

KMart

Incoming players.  Devan Barrett, Aleric Williams.

Thoughts?

Think Bubba is going to get way more than 18 carries a game. I'd say 25. 

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Think Bubba is going to get way more than 18 carries a game. I'd say 25. 

Yup! He's looking to go pro if he can stay healthy. Definitely more than 18 carries a game. In boxing terms think of his carries as body blows being a great compliment to haymaker punches via Stidham downfield RPO passes.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yup! He's looking to go pro if he can stay healthy. Definitely more than 18 carries a game. In boxing terms think of his carries as body blows being a great compliment to haymaker punches via Stidham downfield RPO passes.

I dunno. 18 carries a game at his 5.9 YPC average from last year projects to a 1,275 yard regular season, and the NFL has gotten wary of guys with too much mileage on them. I mean, I doubt his pro aspirations are going to affect the playcalling, but his health should. And when we have KJ/MM*/KM/DB also suited up, we shouldn't have to grind anybody down. 

I know that a multitude of factors go into decisions and we can't directly project anything ASU 2016 onto Auburn 2017, but it's worth noting that CCL did have 3 RBs with over 120 carries last season and none above 160. 

*A healthy Malik can take a lot of the weight off of KP's shoulders IMO. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I dunno. 18 carries a game at his 5.9 YPC average from last year projects to a 1,275 yard regular season, and the NFL has gotten wary of guys with too much mileage on them. I mean, I doubt his pro aspirations are going to affect the playcalling, but his health should. And when we have KJ/MM*/KM/DB also suited up, we shouldn't have to grind anybody down

I know that a multitude of factors go into decisions and we can't directly project anything ASU 2016 onto Auburn 2017, but it's worth noting that CCL did have 3 RBs with over 120 carries last season and none above 160. 

*A healthy Malik can take a lot of the weight off of KP's shoulders IMO. 

Highlights mine.

WDE

Archived