Running Backs

corchjay

One thing for sure under CGM production from the running backs have been incredible however they benefit from getting 50 carries a game.  Still the average yard per carry has been good as well.  From a traditional spread type offense CGM's rushing attack is by far the best in the country.  

Enter CCL and things look to be changing. We will always have a "thumper" but the the smaller backs will be asked to do much more in the screen, drag, and wheel routes in the passing scheme.  Finding ways to get them the ball in different ways.

I can see production coming similar to this Bubba 18 carries 2 receptions, KJ 8 carries 5 receptions, Miller 8 carries 1 reception, and KMart 3 carries 1 reception. 

I hope to see more substitutions at the position.  I'm cool with using the hot hand but not game after game after game.  30 carries per game for 3-4 games back to back is just to much.

Projected Depth Chart

Bubba

KJ

Miller

*Barrett

KMart

Incoming players.  Devan Barrett, Aleric Williams.

Thoughts?

Kam got a ton of work in the spring so I think his role may expand more than anyone.  I hope we see Miller give Bubba some rest.  KJ is kind of a mystery to me.  He's not big enough to be a bruiser and I haven't seen break away speed. He played well last year but the offense didn't take off till Bubba came in.  He's also too good to just be a wildcat 

I could see KJ lining up outside a lot. Especially if CCL uses motion and brings him back into the backfield. Then having KJ and Bubba on the field at the same time could be amazing. Have to defend both from running the ball, and at least KJ catching. I dont know the 1st thing about bubba pass catching ability. But I do know (by his highlights) KJ lined up outside a LOT in high school. 

This is how I think the lineup will probably look

1A. Bubba

1B. KJ

3. KMart

4. Miller (who i STILL feel is a FB and not a TB)

5. Barrett (Likely red shirt)

And what do you guys think of Barrett this season? Am I way off base assuming he will redshirt?

@corchjay

Why do you feel Kmart will be so far down the totem pole?

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Kam got a ton of work in the spring so I think his role may expand more than anyone.  I hope we see Miller give Bubba some rest.  KJ is kind of a mystery to me.  He's not big enough to be a bruiser and I haven't seen break away speed. He played well last year but the offense didn't take off till Bubba came in.  He's also too good to just be a wildcat 

KJ is s good running back and a great pass catcher. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him go for a 350/650 type of season with a fairly even split of carries and receptions. People conveniently forget that KP went on his tear after KJ and MM both went down. Then, as Corch alluded to, we ran him into the ground and KJ was forced back into action before he was 100% healthy. Now, KP is our bell cow for sure, but I don't see this vast gap between the guys. They can both run inside or out, each is just more effective at one or the other. If KJ, Miller and Sean had been healthy, they could have carried on just fine after Pettway went down.

And I'm leery of calling guys "bruisers" and "speed backs". Most RBs are neither. Neither Barber, CAP, Tre nor Dyer were either. Tate was a little bigger. Robinson was a freak that most schools only get once in awhile. Grant and McCalebb were true, *complimentary* speed backs. (Grant was plenty big, he just didn't have the vision or lateral agility, which is more attractive to me than straight line speed.)  Pettway is a rare true bruiser. KJ is an average sized RB with adequate mobility.

I just hope CCL has a way to get two RBs on the field. As good as our WRs are, I think our RBs are just as good. Maybe better. 

(Moved from the OL thread, because I didn't know that this thread existed.)

I feel it's worth noting that we return 95 percent of yards from the SEC's top (per game) rushing attack. :hellyeah:

Now if Mr. Stidham and Mr. Myers can just give us a passing game...

(And our defense doesn't revert to Ellis levels...) :violin:

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

@corchjay

Why do you feel Kmart will be so far down the totem pole?

Nothing against him just think that's where he falls for now.  He and KJ will have similar roles and the coaches trust KJ more as of now 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I think KMart has the potential to be deadly in the swing/screen/crossing route game.

KMart looks completely lost trying to catch the ball down field. He wasn't close to catching the wheel route in A Day and he also had a very similar looking play last year?(Was it the MSU,THUGA or the bammer game) I hope he works on catching the ball running away from the line of scrimmage in the off season.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

(Moved from the OL thread, because I didn't know that this thread existed.)

I feel it's worth noting that we return 95 percent of yards from the SEC's top (per game) rushing attack. :hellyeah:

Now if Mr. Stidham and Mr. Myers can just give us a passing game...

(And our defense doesn't revert to Ellis levels...) :violin:

BooThisMan.gif

;D

I just hope Pettway can stay healthy and pick up were he was before he was injured.IMO he is without a doubt the best back of the group and I remember him catching a pass out of the backfield against arky when he was still an h-back and running some guy over so he can catch the ball and do something with it we he does.Really excited to see what CCL does with all these weapons this season.

I'm more curious about the two incoming freshmen than I am anything else. I'd like to have quality depth behind KJ, or at least more of it. 

For those who know, what are the expectations for both of them? Running back is a position where freshman often make meaningful contributions. 

CCL has a lot of talent and variety to work with. Apparently Alaric Williams is a very talented DB as well. With our RB depth looking solid, maybe he gets a look at safety. 

In my opinion the younger guys are going to have to wait their turn unless injuries occur.  

Also the Miller to fullback thing won't happen.  Miller could possibly be the most talented inside runner we have on the team.  

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

In my opinion the younger guys are going to have to wait their turn unless injuries occur.  

Also the Miller to fullback thing won't happen.  Miller could possibly be the most talented inside runner we have on the team.  

You do mean behind Pettway don't you?

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

You think Miller is a better inside runner than KP? Im sorry, i just dont see that. I would say he is our next best option between the tackles, but Miller lacks speed. He reminds me a LOT of Barber. He has all the heart in the world, and will put himself out there for the team, but a legit RB that does not make. I doubt Miller would start over Barrett when it comes their time. Miller just doesnt have the speed. I've said it since before we signed him, but if you are relying on a RB that has 4.8 speed.... you are in trouble, and if he takes over as RB1, I have SERIOUS doubts our streak of 1000 yard rushers continues. I'm not knocking the guy, but he is built to be a FB not RB. And just to reinforce... a RB in the SEC with 4.8 speed. Say that out loud. There are OL with faster 40 times. I know 40 times doesnt mean the world, but no one is going to get out run by a 4.8 TB. Just for comparison...

Ben Tate 4.4

Leonard Fournette 4.5

Cam Newton 4.6

Ron Dayne 4.65

Christian Okoye 4.4

Painfully slow Peyton Barber 4.6

Rudi Johnson 4.5

Stephen Davis 4.4

Like i said, I'm not knocking the guy, but speed is something that cant be taught. Everyone talks about how many more players certain schools put into the NFL than us. One very good reason why, is they would NEVER consider using someone with 4.8 speed as RB1. That has nothing to do with development. 

Oh yeah, and that 4.8 speed, is without pads. 

4 hours ago, corchjay said:

Nothing against him just think that's where he falls for now.  He and KJ will have similar roles and the coaches trust KJ more as of now 

Understood. Especially with how he totally whiffed on that wheel route.

3 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

BooThisMan.gif

;D

Haha, it's just that in 2014 we all assumed that all we needed was a defense. Can't take anything for granted. ;)

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You think Miller is a better inside runner than KP? Im sorry, i just dont see that. I would say he is our next best option between the tackles, but Miller lacks speed. He reminds me a LOT of Barber. He has all the heart in the world, and will put himself out there for the team, but a legit RB that does not make. I doubt Miller would start over Barrett when it comes their time. Miller just doesnt have the speed. I've said it since before we signed him, but if you are relying on a RB that has 4.8 speed.... you are in trouble, and if he takes over as RB1, I have SERIOUS doubts our streak of 1000 yard rushers continues. I'm not knocking the guy, but he is built to be a FB not RB. And just to reinforce... a RB in the SEC with 4.8 speed. Say that out loud. There are OL with faster 40 times. I know 40 times doesnt mean the world, but no one is going to get out run by a 4.8 TB. Just for comparison...

Ben Tate 4.4

Leonard Fournette 4.5

Cam Newton 4.6

Ron Dayne 4.65

Christian Okoye 4.4

Painfully slow Peyton Barber 4.6

Rudi Johnson 4.5

Stephen Davis 4.4

Like i said, I'm not knocking the guy, but speed is something that cant be taught. Everyone talks about how many more players certain schools put into the NFL than us. One very good reason why, is they would NEVER consider using someone with 4.7 speed as RB1. That has nothing to do with development. 

Understood. Especially with how he totally shifted on that wheel route.

There are forty times and then there is football speed.Maybe he has football speed but I haven't seen enough of him to know.

Just now, kd4au said:

There are forty times and then there is football speed.Maybe he has football speed but I haven't seen enough of him to know.

This is true, but people generally don't magically run faster when they have pads on...

I've watched football over 40 years, and i played from 5-18, and I've never seen anyone get faster with gear on.

3 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

This is true, but people generally don't magically run faster when they have pads on...

I've watched football over 40 years, and i played from 5-18, and I've never seen anyone get faster with gear on.

True but some do get slower than others.

Just now, kd4au said:

True but some do get slower than others.

And that's exactly my point. Miller is 4.8 without gear. With gear we are looking at 4.9 to 5.0 and that wont even work in Blount County Alabama as a RB, but we are relyingon that speed in the SEC....seems legit...

Let's see what the spring numbers are when we see them.  Even is they are skewed to faster times bet miller is .2 faster then pettway.  But I was talking inside runner anyway not break away speed.  

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Let's see what the spring numbers are when we see them.  Even is they are skewed to faster times bet miller is .2 faster then pettway.  But I was talking inside runner anyway not break away speed.  

And that makes sense. Miller may have gotten faster...i dunno. I just went off page 1 of his recruiting profile.

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

And that makes sense. Miller may have gotten faster...i dunno. I just went off page 1 of his recruiting profile.

His recruiting profile numbers could have come from his sophomore year of high school.  Put it this way Kerryon was more dynamic at Madison academy but the workhorse for their championship(s) was Malik.  

Miller would also be a short fullback.  5-11.  He's probably at his ideal playing weight around 220-225 however continuing to change his physique.

That's one thing disappointing for KJ with the spring injury, he's never been able to dedicate himself in the off season workouts because of surgery/injuries.  He needs more muscle to get from 200 to 220ish.

Gotta agree with corch about KMart at this point. He's a utility guy between speed back and slot until he gains more muscle, improves his pass blocking, and improves his ball tracking and hands. 

He may never be an every down back, but he could carve out a good niche (currently occupied by KJ in my mind) as a 3rd down option in Chip's offense. That niche hinges mostly on improving that pass blocking bc I've seen him get owned too many in pass pro for the coaches to have much faith in him in that regard.

Miller doesn't look 4.8 slow to me. :dunno:

Interested to see what the vibes are around Barrett this summer and fall camp. No idea if Alaric sticks at RB or not.

Archived