2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

21 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yep. 

I wouldn't rule AU out just yet. Rivals gave AU no chance last week & an afterthought of chance this week. 247 has been saying AU is a legit contender for the past couple of weeks. Remember too that since Cam Newton has a preexisting relationship with the Fields family since he is Justin's 7 on 7 team coach, he can talk to them about recruiting & aide AU in their efforts here.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, ellitor said:

I wouldn't rule AU out just yet. Rivals gave AU no chance last week & an afterthought of chance this week. 247 has been saying AU is a legit contender for the past couple of weeks. Remember too that since Cam Newton has a preexisting relationship with the Fields family since he is Justin's 7 on 7 team, he can talk to them about recruiting & aide AU in their efforts here.

After talking with some folks yesterday I'd say you are right. The thought is Fields won't sign with Penn State. We trail UF for Fields but have made up significant ground. So we could be looking at Fields to AU and Gatewood to UF. Going to be interesting to watch. I don't know AU's pecking order for QB's is. 

25 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

So we could be looking at Fields to AU and Gatewood to UF.

Do you still think we would take 2 QBs if that happens? Seems like we would given the lack of QB depth.

Also on Gatewood do you think he flips because he doesn't want to be in a 2 QB class of though the committed team has little QB depth?

Just now, ellitor said:

Do you still think we would take 2 QBs if that happens? Seems like we would given the lack of QB depth.

Also on Gatewood do you think he flips because he doesn't want to be in a 2 QB class of though the committed team has little QB depth?

Yes I think we take 2. One sure fire, you know what I mean, QB and one "athlete". 

As far as Gatewood. He says he is open o competition but I'm sure he wants to be the "guy". So he would be the "guy" at UF if AU gets Fields. Can't blame him.  And AU still could get both. But I don't think that happens. 

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yes I think we take 2. One sure fire, you know what I mean, QB and one "athlete". 

As far as Gatewood. He says he is open o competition but I'm sure he wants to be the "guy". So he would be the "guy" at UF if AU gets Fields. Can't blame him.  And AU still could get both. But I don't think that happens. 

Do you guys know why UF is ahead of AU for Fields? 

My thing is that i think UF hits a wall this year and it won't be b/c of QB. Their defense lost a lot of talent. Even w/o my OB goggles on, I personally predict AU having an overall better season than UF. 

Hope that has an impact on Fields.

48 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

After talking with some folks yesterday I'd say you are right. The thought is Fields won't sign with Penn State. We trail UF for Fields but have made up significant ground. So we could be looking at Fields to AU and Gatewood to UF. Going to be interesting to watch. I don't know AU's pecking order for QB's is. 

I certainly hope not. "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". If we don't keep Gatewood firmly in hand we could very well end up with empty hands at the QB position come that final signing day.

3 minutes ago, brad5628AU said:

Do you guys know why UF is ahead of AU for Fields?

Been recruiting him quite a bit longer. We didn't really start recruiting him til a good bit after Chip became our OC.

Just now, Mikey said:

I certainly hope not. "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". If we don't keep Gatewood firmly in hand we could very well end up with empty hands at the QB position come that final signing day.

I have my doubts that will happen with Chip but you could be right. 

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It could happen. AU is pushing Fields hard. And Fields is the real deal. Kid is a elite QB. 

8 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I have my doubts that will happen with Chip but you could be right. 

AU signs a great/elite QB this year. Unless the season goes south. Then all bets are off. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

AU signs a great/elite QB this year. Unless the season goes south. Then all bets are off. 

Understandably so.

Wow!  Just heard an interview with Fields.   Extremely well spoken and mature.  Handled questions from multiple people with well articulated responses about how different programs are recruiting him.  Quite impressive....not sure I have heard a HS player speak so well.

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

Wow!  Just heard an interview with Fields.   Extremely well spoken and mature.  Handled questions from multiple people with well articulated responses about how different programs are recruiting him.  Quite impressive....not sure I have heard a HS player speak so well.

Got a link so the rest of us may partake?

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Got a link so the rest of us may partake?

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Video won't load for me. Assume AU made the top 5? 

Hmmm.    worked twice for me.  Sorry.

Yes, Auburn is in top 5.  Also he has a relationship with Cam N - Cam coaches his 7 on 7 team.  I know you can get that clip in itunes b/c that is where I heard it first.   

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Hmmm.    worked twice for me.  Sorry.

Yes, Auburn is in top 5.  Also he has a relationship with Cam N - Cam coaches his 7 on 7 team.  I know you can get that clip in itunes b/c that is where I heard it first.   

I'm sure it the Chrome that my company makes use use. 

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Video won't load for me. Assume AU made the top 5? 

Edited Beaver's link to embed the video for your enjoyment @WarDamnEagleWDE. It's 38 minutes long. May want to wait til you get home to listen.

Just now, thaitopher said:

It always makes me laugh that a "committed" recruit has a top 5. Never gets old.

And never will.

Ok, I am going to go out on a limb putting all of the factors I know in place and say we end up getting him. If you look at the total picture ( I am factoring in a great season) it makes the most since that he would come to Auburn. Close to home, Cam Factor, Auburns success with DT's and likes Lindsey.

1 hour ago, bg5 said:

Ok, I am going to go out on a limb putting all of the factors I know in place and say we end up getting him. If you look at the total picture ( I am factoring in a great season) it makes the most since that he would come to Auburn. Close to home, Cam Factor, Auburns success with DT's and likes Lindsey.

Qbs usually commit early most of the time. If he waits till we have a great season then sure I agree but I think he will pop for someone sooner than that.

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Qbs usually commit early most of the time. If he waits till we have a great season then sure I agree but I think he will pop for someone sooner than that.

Conversely, the #1 player in the country often waits until the last minute to commit. After all, no one is going to say "no".

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Conversely, the #1 player in the country often waits until the last minute to commit. After all, no one is going to say "no".

Qbs do not wait last minute. Most are locked up years in advance and usually no later than the summer before their senior season. Narcisse was one of the exceptions not the rule.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Qbs do not wait last minute. Most are locked up years in advance and usually no later than the summer before their senior season. Narcisse was one of the exceptions not the rule.

QBs usually aren't the #1 recruit in the country and commit early because they want to secure their spot. Again, the #1 recruit in the country has the freedom to take his time, because no one is going to tell him they filled his spot. Also, Field is committed, which means he has a place if no one else convinces him to pull the trigger. You could be right, but I see him taking as much time as he wants to make sure he's making the best choice.  That would include taking the time to see Lindsey's offense in action.

Archived