2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

21 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

Would Justin Fields not be worried about competition with Francois at FSU? This is just a guess, but I feel like Fields would be redshirted at FSU. At Auburn, I feel like he wouldn't. Anyone know anything about what coaches from either teams are saying to him?

Francois can leave after this year if he has a great season. If Stidham stays 2 years at AU Fields very well could RS barring injury. Also FSU doesn't have much quality competition to go against JF after Francois. AU has Willis & maybe Joey pending how he develops.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/21/2017 at 7:54 PM, ellitor said:

He was just here last week. He has 3 or 4 other finalists. There's no need for him to come straight back without visiting his other interests. Besides few visitors on a trip means more & better time with the staff.

Fields apparently told reporters that the Florida visit would be his last visit of the offseason. That does not make me feel good that he's only been to Auburn twice this summer with neither time being our major recruiting weekends. I understand that 1-on-1 visits are better, but I also realize the importance of having a large group of top athletes in his ear recruiting him to Auburn while he's having a blast on our campus. He needs to be bonding with his future teammates. 

Everyone has been confident on our side. Now we're starting to hear, "IF he commits somewhere else". We better be putting the full court press on him right NOW and not waiting for us to have a big year. The longer we allow FSU with Craig & UGA with Kirby to hang around, then the lower our chances get. And when are we FINALLY going to start negative recruiting against Dameyune Craig?!

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

No doubt about that. He was trashing us when he was at FSU before and that's why I didn't like hiring him to come back here. I never bought into the "He was just doing his job" stuff. There's doing your job and then there's being a snake in the grass. Craig is a snake.

I too am disappointed in DC. He was one of my favorite players. He seems to be taking steps back as a coach. 

Regarding DC trashing us, I'm curious to know what he is saying.  I raise that point because we have been terribly inconsistent on the field the past few years, have had a lot of coaching turnover on the defensive side of the ball, and have failed to develop several highly touted QBs. I can see how a coach could get in a kids ear about that. AUs best chance of stopping that is consistent performance, create staff stability,  and developing talent better. 

58 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Fields apparently told reporters that the Florida visit would be his last visit of the offseason. That does not make me feel good that he's only been to Auburn twice this summer with neither time being our major recruiting weekends. I understand that 1-on-1 visits are better, but I also realize the importance of having a large group of top athletes in his ear recruiting him to Auburn while he's having a blast on our campus. He needs to be bonding with his future teammates. 

Everyone has been confident on our side. Now we're starting to hear, "IF he commits somewhere else". We better be putting the full court press on him right NOW and not waiting for us to have a big year. The longer we allow FSU with Craig & UGA with Kirby to hang around, then the lower our chances get.

Completely understand how you feel.

58 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

And when are we FINALLY going to start negative recruiting against Dameyune Craig?!

When we have a different HC. Gus doesn't believe in it. He greatly cut down CDC's negative tactics while at AU for example.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I too am disappointed in DC. He was one of my favorite players. He seems to be taking steps back as a coach. 

Regarding DC trashing us, I'm curious to know what he is saying.  I raise that point because we have been terribly inconsistent on the field the past few years, have had a lot of coaching turnover on the defensive side of the ball, and have failed to develop several highly touted QBs. I can see how a coach could get in a kids ear about that. AUs best chance of stopping that is consistent performance, create staff stability,  and developing talent better. 

Seems to be very personal now with Gus. Nevertheless , we need to win . That usually diminish talking points . 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Completely understand how you feel.

When we have a different HC. Gus doesn't believe in it. He greatly cut down CDC's negative tactics while at AU for example.

...and good for him.  There's a way to do it right and a way to do it wrong.

Dameyune Craig is now and always has been about himself. He's not an Auburn man (if that term has any meaning beyond simply attending Auburn). He's a dude you might like while he was in the room because he's gregarious, but he's also a dude that would 100% stab you in the back of it moved his career forward. He's been angling for an OC position for as long as he's been a coach. Instead of doing the work and learning the craft, he's tried to shortcut it by hanging his hat on recruiting and jumping ship every time he sees something shiny or pouting every time a position doesn't fit his preconceived expectations. I don't have any love for that dude. He's worse than James Willis, who jumped ship for Bama. At least Willis wasn't actively anti-Auburn. Craig is exactly that when he thinks it works to his benefit. I would hope that any mature kid could see through his BS. 

Regardless, I look forward to another round of Craig's unabashed ambition, trying to move up in his profession only to fall back down the rung. It's almost a foregone, but it's still entertaining. Craig, you were a better QB than you are a professional, and you were only a good enough QB to play in Canada. Maybe he should try for an OC spot in the CFL?

I think we all want JF to go ahead and commit, but you can not blame him for wanting to see what kind of offense we put on the field this season. He may not want to commit again to a team he is not even sure what the offense will look like with a new OC.

2 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I think we all want JF to go ahead and commit, but you can not blame him for wanting to see what kind of offense we put on the field this season. He may not want to commit again to a team he is not even sure what the offense will look like with a new OC.

Yup. No matter the optimism we have talk is cheep until we see Gus letting Chip pull the trigger on O.

I know most think he is going to FSU or Ga but I think our offense will be awesome this year and JF will want to play in it.

11 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Regardless, I look forward to another round of Craig's unabashed ambition, trying to move up in his profession only to fall back down the rung. It's almost a foregone, but it's still entertaining. 

While I don't share the depth of your cynicism about Craig's overall character, I do totally agree that he is a ladder climber who is looking for the shortest ladder to the top.  I would not be surprised at all to see him on Ole Miss's staff sooner, rather than later.

52 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

While I don't share the depth of your cynicism about Craig's overall character, I do totally agree that he is a ladder climber who is looking for the shortest ladder to the top.  I would not be surprised at all to see him on Ole Miss's staff sooner, rather than later.

I'll write his cover letter for him and bake some cookies for the interview.

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

I'll write his cover letter for him and bake some cookies for the interview.

That right there is hilarious...

On 7/23/2017 at 0:30 PM, austudnt23 said:

Before I get any info today I will say I was told in late May early June that JF will sign with AU. I was told that other teams will be very confident etc. I was under impression we are very confident when was told all of this. FSU was the only team thought to he a chance at that time. All teams are confident like I was told and it does worry me a little UF insiders saying FSU. DC is doing us no favors and will trash us his school to get JF. I will say if he commits to someone else before season we  will get him with a good season no matter what. I am going to trust what I was told until told otherwise. I will be attemping to get new info today amd post asap.

Any new info 23?

Still feel confident we get JF.  FSU has made a push though led by Jimbo and their ability and success they have had developing qbs mainly his.  Also led by DC trashing Gus and Auburn.  Have heard DC has even stooped as low as trashing more than just our current coaching staff.  However they didn't get him to pull the trigger while they had him and his dad basically believing everything they were throwing at them.  The qb development abilities of Jimbo are unquestionable however we have to start hitting back and like E said Gus doesn't like negative recruiting.  We are being hit by bot sides UGA and FSU and not hitting back.  Bama would have joined in but JF didn't visit.  Gus can obviously run a very good offense with a good qb.  Can he develop one we don't know but I know CHip can and is very good with qbs. 

It seems like it's outside of our best interests to not play the recruiting game that everyone else is playing.

If Gus were to suddenly get aggressive or critical or begin to trash the other schools, it would look really out of character for him and cause recruits to turn away from his open, straight forward demeanor. We have to be satisfied with Gus for who he is and not try to change him into something he's not. The key is to just out work the others at recruiting, by becoming relentless and positive, anything else is against who we are at Auburn

2 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

If Gus were to suddenly get aggressive or critical or begin to trash the other schools, it would look really out of character for him and cause recruits to turn away from his open, straight forward demeanor. We have to be satisfied with Gus for who he is and not try to change him into something he's not. The key is to just out work the others at recruiting, by becoming relentless and positive, anything else is against who we are at Auburn

This is along the lines of what I was thinking...I almost like it that we don't talk smack while everyone else is (although let's be honest - negative information does so much damage). I know it can kill us on the recruiting trail, but dang it, dare I say I'm almost proud of Gus? ??‍♀️ 

Here's to hoping for parents and kiddos to see through the crap and hope they admire the character our HC has.....

but I'll just be over here mixing a drink for when the sky starts falling. Lol. When we kick butt this year, we won't even need to negatively recruit! 

We don't need to go full out like some with the negative recruiting we need to hit back and defend ourself though. We could easily trash UGA for example with their offense and OC isn't the right fit for JF. Although JF would fit into any offense he would be the most dynamic in an offense like you see at Auburn or Ohio State even where he could display hos running abilities and throwing. He would be a 5 star pro style qb and he is the best runner in this year's qb class.

Also everyone needs to remember our coaches play the recruiting game close to the vest and don't let alot get out to beat writers from 247 or whoever.  We had all of our own writers picking Big Cat to go elsewhere until he signed with Auburn. I could name others like Derrick Brown who UGA was very confident with. Since Gus and company have arrived we have always player it close to the vest with recruiting which I like. It makes the ending so much sweeter.

3 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Also everyone needs to remember our coaches play the recruiting game close to the vest and don't let alot get out to beat writers from 247 or whoever.  We had all of our own writers picking Big Cat to go elsewhere until he signed with Auburn. I could name others like Derrick Brown who UGA was very confident with. Since Gus and company have arrived we have always player it close to the vest with recruiting which I like. It makes the ending so much sweeter.

We're getting better in that regard.  The Trooper/Looper stint was so annoying b/c they'd build so much hype, that the let down was inevitable....just thinking back to things like "July 4th Fireworks", etc.

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

We're getting better in that regard.  The Trooper/Looper stint was so annoying b/c they'd build so much hype, that the let down was inevitable....just thinking back to things like "July 4th Fireworks", etc.

Yeah Gus doesn't let info out in recruiting alot. It can only hurt if other teams feel we have a lead and start the negative aspect of recruiting starts.

We knew we had Big Cat after his official but info was kept close to the vest and everyone picked him to go elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Winning will cure any recruiting ailments.

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

We don't need to go full out like some with the negative recruiting we need to hit back and defend ourself though. We could easily trash UGA for example with their offense and OC isn't the right fit for JF. Although JF would fit into any offense he would be the most dynamic in an offense like you see at Auburn or Ohio State even where he could display hos running abilities and throwing. He would be a 5 star pro style qb and he is the best runner in this year's qb class.

imagepng

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

Why isn't more said about UGA's O scheme using pro-style instead of dual-threats ?  All but one on their roster is pro and the ones they're recruiting are pro, except JF.  I've been told that Kirby has even told JF that UGA will become more of a mobile-qb O in order to get him on board. 

Archived