2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

6 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Now that it looks like...Fields may very well commit to either FSU or Georgia, this looks like another year that we didn't lock down a top notch QB when Malzahn had the chance to.

ae4c3b06e04de74b8bf0c472eaf6d79e0314280b

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that it looks like we've lost out on White and Fields may very well commit to either FSU or Georgia, this looks like another year that we didn't lock down a top notch QB when Malzahn had the chance to.

Why? Is your glass always 1/2 empty? Let this play out before you let the sky fall any further. I still think we get Fields but Recruiting is a tough sport. It has ups and downs if you get down every time everything is not on the up cycle you might not want to keep up with recruiting. This will probably go back and forth a few times before he commits. But in the end I think he picks us.  

4 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Chuck does not hate AU like some have said. He went to AU and cheers for AU. He really is not a recruiting junkie. His knowledge is really about players already playing for teams. He is not a UGA homer either. He does talk about UGA a lot because most of the listeners have a lot if interest in UGA. He is playing up to the listeners. Many posters on the AU Family recruiting thread know more about how AU sits with recruits than Chuck does. It's an ATL based radio station, so when they talk recruiting they usually have a UGA person report on it. 

Chuck is not going to refute something the UGA recruiting guru says. He wants to keep the relationship. 

Well heck your no fun:poke:

4 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Chuck does not hate AU like some have said. He went to AU and cheers for AU. He really is not a recruiting junkie. His knowledge is really about players already playing for teams. He is not a UGA homer either. He does talk about UGA a lot because most of the listeners have a lot if interest in UGA. He is playing up to the listeners. Many posters on the AU Family recruiting thread know more about how AU sits with recruits than Chuck does. It's an ATL based radio station, so when they talk recruiting they usually have a UGA person report on it. 

Chuck is not going to refute something the UGA recruiting guru says. He wants to keep the relationship. 

If he's going to get a UGA recruiting guy on, he should try to get Kip Adams from 247.  Kip is at least objective. 

I don't believe Fields was talking about this being a FSU & Auburn battle, I read it as saying he's gonna pick between FSU & GA.

I think this is an Auburn/UGA battle, and I think Auburn is in much better position than many are reporting. 

5 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I totally agree.  Since moving from Bham to Alpharetta 4 years ago, I have been listening to 680.  I love the shows on that station.  They are so much better than Jox IMO.  I also think that Chuck is surrounded by leg humpers all day long.  It has to affect him...and perhaps he takes the "discression is the better part of valor" approach.  Not to mention that UGA has virtually owned us like no other team I can think of over the past 15 yrs or more.  I hate that fact.  Not to mention the grandios perception of the UGA program by it's fans.  They are so much like Bammers I just couldn't believe it.  I grew up a huge UGA fan and was the only male in my family to not go there. I made the right choice for sure.  I wasn't prepared to hate UGA as an adult.  I have grown to despise them as much as the Bams...Chuck needs a win against UGA this year in a big way...damn...don't we all. War Eagle!

23 minutes ago, Tigerfinz said:

I totally agree.  Since moving from Bham to Alpharetta 4 years ago, I have been listening to 680.  I love the shows on that station.  They are so much better than Jox IMO.  I also think that Chuck is surrounded by leg humpers all day long.  It has to affect him...and perhaps he takes the "discression is the better part of valor" approach.  Not to mention that UGA has virtually owned us like no other team I can think of over the past 15 yrs or more.  I hate that fact.  Not to mention the grandios perception of the UGA program by it's fans.  They are so much like Bammers I just couldn't believe it.  I grew up a huge UGA fan and was the only male in my family to not go there. I made the right choice for sure.  I wasn't prepared to hate UGA as an adult.  I have grown to despise them as much as the Bams...Chuck needs a win against UGA this year in a big way...damn...don't we all. War Eagle!

Since we are on the topic of sports radio I just want to exert my opinion and get my narrative across on this topic real quick! lol. I grew up in Mobile. Second biggest city give or take in Alabama. HOLLLLLEEEEEEEEEE FAUUUUUUUUUUUUK it has the worst sports radio known to man!! The worst talent! The least entertaining! The most boring! The least amount of home grown sport radio shows. It is putrid!! How are you going to be in a big market as it pertains to alabama and have such a little footprint in the sports radio game?! Bham, the Gump and Hville all blow Mobile local sports radio out of the water. RANT OVER! Now back to fields.

I swear this is the most quintessential Auburn recruitment ever. Literally no one else besides Auburn reporters/insiders and Chris Nee (fsu 247 guy) give Auburn a chance. As usual the national narrative is we are running a distant third. Why does this bother me? Because WE GET LESS RESPECT than Rodney Dangerfield! lol. Will just make it that much sweeter if Fields comes and "shocks" everyone else that gives us no shot right now.

What is Fields looking for in an offense? What is he hoping to see from Auburn to help make up his decision? What if Jarrett Stidham turns out to be just average?

Just now, AU Is Gold said:

What is Fields looking for in an offense? What is he hoping to see from Auburn to help make up his decision? What if Jarrett Stidham turns out to be just average?

HEY HEY HEEEEEEEEY!!!!!!!! why would you put that out in the world like that?! Talking about stidham being average? MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

HEY HEY HEEEEEEEEY!!!!!!!! why would you put that out in the world like that?! Talking about stidham being average? MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Just trying to be realistic of the possibility. I don't think it will be the case though. It's always the Auburn players under the radar that come out of nowhere. 

52 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I swear this is the most quintessential Auburn recruitment ever. Literally no one else besides Auburn reporters/insiders and Chris Nee (fsu 247 guy) give Auburn a chance. As usual the national narrative is we are running a distant third. Why does this bother me? Because WE GET LESS RESPECT than Rodney Dangerfield! lol. Will just make it that much sweeter if Fields comes and "shocks" everyone else that gives us no shot right now.

This likely is going to happen. Well that is my thinking contingent that we have a good season. The article I real above obviously shows that Auburn and FSU r at the top. Which I know this already. In reference to nobody giving AU a chance like a said in posts above get ready for the accusations to start flying about AU buying JF. I won't be surprised for theories to have Cam involved. It is going to be very sweet when all of this plays out. JF is being very careful not to upset UGA fans etc which is smart considering he will be surrounded by them until December when he graduates and enrolls at AU. FSU is the only team with a shot atm with JF and AU has a pretty nice lead on them. This kind of reminds me of the Derrick Brown recruitment the UGA lock with most people having AU at 3rd at best during most of the process.. Truth was we were head to head with UGA the whole time. Afterwards we were being accused of buying Browns parents a house.  Once again and I can't say this enough under our current coaching staff we do not let alot of info out to beat reporters or anyone in general letting them know how we feel about getting big time recruits. It does nothing but hurt our chances.  You have to think UGA fans who basically stalk the kid on twitter will be talking FSU down not AU. Since it is a 2 team race FSU and UGA lol. Problem is both those coaching staffs well FSU in particular know what the truth is.  JF and his family or dad at least have a plan and know what they are doing. Like he said he wants to see how the season goes where he fully expects AU to have a great year. This makes the fallout from UGA fans etc going after him and family like his sister who will be softball player at UGA. And hey if I am wrong and we suck this yeAR FSU will be good and he can go there.

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

This isn't germaine to the topic but  you may have to wait a very long time before seeing AU in the East. It's likely going to take adding Oklahoma & Okie St.

I know this is off topic a bit, but heck my friend......Football is on its way and I get giddy and throw etiquette to the wind. I love your take on things in that you do not sugar coat stuff and usually tell it like it is. Keep on doing this my friend. I take no offense whatsoever and know you are orange and blue to the core. If the Okie teams move to the SEC, then I would think the Longhorns will be on the list as well. Moving to the East is logical and should not be such a difficult thing to accomplish. It seems that the powers in charge delight in making things far more complicated than necessary thus making the process a slow one full of treachery.

26 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

All indications are that Fields would like to see more run-pass balance and an offense that features a pass first dual-threat QB. Something like offense we ran with Cam or that Clemson ran with Watson.

Stidham almost surely won't run it as much as those two, but proving that Gus and co. are capable of fielding an offense that can pass the ball is the bigger deal.

As for what happens if Stidham turns out to just be average, it probably means we don't get Fields. Ideally, the success of one player shouldn't matter that much. But practically speaking, Gus needs to win this year to keep his job. So Stidham needs to be good enough for us to be successful without going to a super run-heavy offense. That doesn't mean he needs to win the Heisman or anything like that, but there is a lot riding on his success.

18 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yeah but all that other stuff Sentell asked JF about that look to be positives for FSU & UGA like relationships with current prospects & players JF never said they were factors in his decision. The 2 things he did say were a factor favor AU if we have a good season.

The funny thing is the part about having a good season... UGA fans think that is in reference to them. We see a quote and interpret it through orange and blue sunglasses. They see a quote and interpret it in a manner that is most favorable to them. At the end of the day no one has an effing clue where he will go.

I have not had very many dealings with UGA fans other than my former pastor. He is a dog 110%!  He is funny and very entertaining when it comes to all things UGA.  They never seem to win many titles in SEC sports, but are competitive a good bit of the time. Is this a correct assessment on the dogs?  They remind me a lot of Arkansas with the level of competitiveness they tend to display.  I have always considered Florida and UT to be top schools in the SEC East.

3 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

What is Fields looking for in an offense? 

Hasn't said other than a few months ago saying he believed FSU's O was the best fit. Likely because he can't assume yet that Chip's O from Zona St. & USM will be the O we use til he sees it.

What is he hoping to see from Auburn to help make up his decision?

A passing game & enough wins to keep the coaching staff in tact for 2018.

72Ade-q1.jpg

What if Jarrett Stidham turns out to be just average?

a9d0a87a-efa7-4f85-9a65-9d809de3d0c1_tex

What if Jarrett Stidham turns out to be just average?

That would only be because our O-line is average to bad but I dont see that happening. My concern is with them as a unit not stidham.

Quick question.... If Jarrett plays one season and leaves, how does that leave us for next season at QB?  Would White still leave for greener pastures?  Even if we got Fields, would Fields or Willis be ready?  They could likely do the job but how well?  I know that Gatewood will probably be in the fold but he would likely redshirt if staying at the QB position.  If Jarrett has a great year, do you think he goes in the draft? I would think so, but who knows.  Not concerned, just wondering your thoughts.

7 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Quick question.... If Jarrett plays one season and leaves, how does that leave us for next season at QB?  Would White still leave for greener pastures?  Even if we got Fields, would Fields or Willis be ready?  They could likely do the job but how well?  I know that Gatewood will probably be in the fold but he would likely redshirt if staying at the QB position.  If Jarrett has a great year, do you think he goes in the draft? I would think so, but who knows.  Not concerned, just wondering your thoughts.

If we had a scenario where White and Stidham were both leaving, and we didn't feel like Willis or our incoming QB(s) would be ready, then it'd probably be a scenario that we'd be able to see coming as it unfolded. In that case, we could always make a run at a JUCO kid, just to make sure all our bases were covered.

50 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

If Jarrett plays one season and leaves, how does that leave us for next season at QB?

Likely Willis Gatewood & whoever else we sign in this class.

52 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Would White still leave for greener pastures?

Word around the complex is White is leaving after he finishes his undergrad regardless of what happens with Stidham.

54 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Even if we got Fields, would Fields or Willis be ready?

Nobody can answer that right now.

54 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

They could likely do the job but how well?

See answer above

55 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

I know that Gatewood will probably be in the fold but he would likely redshirt if staying at the QB position.

If Jarrett & White leave & we get Fields then likely yes IMO.

56 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

If Jarrett has a great year, do you think he goes in the draft?

He's been saying no & I truly think her believes it but people around the complex think he will.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Likely Willis Gatewood & whoever else we sign in this class.

Word around the complex is White is leaving after he finishes his undergrad regardless of what happens with Stidham.

Nobody can answer that right now.

See answer above

If Jarrett & White leave & we get Fields then likely yes IMO.

He's been saying no & I truly think her believes it but people around the complex think he will.

Thanks Ellitor.  Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.  Best case would be that Stidham stays two seasons and we still get Fields but I know that may be asking alot.  Either way, we will be fine.

Unpopular opinion. Fields is massively over hyped. May end up being really good but so could Gatewood. 

6 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Thanks Ellitor.  Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.  Best case would be that Stidham stays two seasons and we still get Fields but I know that may be asking alot.  Either way, we will be fine.

Getting Fields would obviously be great. I'm no expert or insider, but I think the threat of JS leaving after 1 year are way exaggerated. The kid had all of 3-4 starts under his belt. Even with an awesome year, NFL execs are going to want to see more than 15 or 16 starts before they commit millions of dollars. Cam Newton is an obvious exception, but you can count on one hand the number of QBs in the league with less than 2 years of game experience. 

Archived