2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Just being picky,. But his drop back seems slow and lacks in pocket footwork.   I don't mean when he scrambles,. But he is a bit flat footed in some of those snaps.  

Agree.  Needs more coaching but is an extreme talent.  Moves well in the pocket but is a superior athlete against his peers.  Nice accurate deep ball but needs more zip on the ball throwing in the middle of the field.  Regardless of the school of choice he may still need a redshirt year to work on some little things.  That's just my opinion.  I've watched a lot of QBs over my time.  

Just now, corchjay said:

Agree.  Needs more coaching but is an extreme talent.  Moves well in the pocket but is a superior athlete against his peers.  Nice accurate deep ball but needs more zip on the ball throwing in the middle of the field.  Regardless of the school of choice he may still need a redshirt year to work on some little things.  That's just my opinion.  I've watched a lot of QBs over my time.  

I Def respect your opinion... Do you think he could be able to play next year? I know coaches are selling him on if JS goes pro he starts next year. Also he is not opposed to rs if JS was to stay 2. I think he is ready and I know at least the coaches are telling him they think he is also. That was a scrimmage so I am sure they were telling him don't get hurt etc.... I saw the kid throw on his visit to AU in July and was very impressed.

Just now, austudnt23 said:

I Def respect your opinion... Do you think he could be able to play next year? I know coaches are selling him on if JS goes pro he starts next year. Also he is not opposed to rs if JS was to stay 2. I think he is ready and I know at least the coaches are telling him they think he is also. That was a scrimmage so I am sure they were telling him don't get hurt etc.... I saw the kid throw on his visit to AU in July and was very impressed.

If he is an EE yes he could play next year.  But coming into fall camp learning an offense and being ready to be the starter by the first game of the season isn't an ideal situation.  His fundamentals aren't bad just need a few adjustments.  Throwing motion looks good and he is accurate from what I can tell.  Just the footwork improvement will help his arm strength,  accuracy (even more) and help with arm care as well.

But starting True Freshmen QB's aren't ideal for any coach regardless of how talented a guy is.  The game just moves so fast.

42 minutes ago, corchjay said:

If he is an EE yes he could play next year.  But coming into fall camp learning an offense and being ready to be the starter by the first game of the season isn't an ideal situation.  His fundamentals aren't bad just need a few adjustments.  Throwing motion looks good and he is accurate from what I can tell.  Just the footwork improvement will help his arm strength,  accuracy (even more) and help with arm care as well.

But starting True Freshmen QB's aren't ideal for any coach regardless of how talented a guy is.  The game just moves so fast.

Thanks, yeah from what I saw in July he is very accurate like precise with his throws. He is such a good runner also which I think helps freshman qbs. From what I saw yesterday I believe MW could play and us be successful this year. JS is obviously better and going to start but MW is better than SW imo rn.

I agree with true frosh qbs unless u have bama talent that covers up for a freshman qb which we are getting close too.

7 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Thanks, yeah from what I saw in July he is very accurate like precise with his throws. He is such a good runner also which I think helps freshman qbs. From what I saw yesterday I believe MW could play and us be successful this year. JS is obviously better and going to start but MW is better than SW imo rn.

I agree with true frosh qbs unless u have bama talent that covers up for a freshman qb which we are getting close too.

Just for grins and giggles... Can you imagine Fields and Master Teague running the read option/RPOs together at AU.  I just don't understand why Teague jumped on OSU so quickly they already have 2 backs committed this year before him.  Granted I think he's better then those 2 but they are higher rated then he is.  

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Just for grins and giggles... Can you imagine Fields and Master Teague running the read option/RPOs together at AU.  I just don't understand why Teague jumped on OSU so quickly they already have 2 backs committed this year before him.  Granted I think he's better then those 2 but they are higher rated then he is.  

I know you and Bird was on the Teague train first but man he is a stud. He was our top rb and it was perfect until other schools really started discovering him. He was ours until Ohio State came calling. Fields and MT in the backfield would be amazing. I am still praying he comes for a visit in the fall. He is the best rb in the country better than Cook or the other kid committed to UGA.

22 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I know you and Bird was on the Teague train first but man he is a stud. He was our top rb and it was perfect until other schools really started discovering him. He was ours until Ohio State came calling. Fields and MT in the backfield would be amazing. I am still praying he comes for a visit in the fall. He is the best rb in the country better than Cook or the other kid committed to UGA.

Agree completely.  Perfect back for our O.  The inside trap, power, dive, and buck sweep runs.  Z. White is the old school type back like the toss sweep, counter, and deep drop play action fake kind of back.  Wouldn't be ideal for our offense.  

I'm hoping we can get him on a visit for a game.  Horton needs to sit down with him and show him our offense in 2013 and imagine a stronger, faster, break more tackles back then Tre in that offense.  Geez.  

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Agree completely.  Perfect back for our O.  The inside trap, power, dive, and buck sweep runs.  Z. White is the old school type back like the toss sweep, counter, and deep drop play action fake kind of back.  Wouldn't be ideal for our offense.  

I'm hoping we can get him on a visit for a game.  Horton needs to sit down with him and show him our offense in 2013 and imagine a stronger, faster, break more tackles back then Tre in that offense.  Geez.  

Thing is he fits Ohio state pretty good also. He fits our scheme better though there is no doubt. I don't remember why he liked Ohio State and wanted that offer so bad. His dad is similar t JF u have to win him over to get MT. I believe we will get him to at least come to a game and maybe an official. What kid is not gonna want to come to this year's iron bowl.

On 8/12/2017 at 6:34 AM, fredst said:

Wow ? I guess what still baffles me is how he went from committed to PSU with no big SEC offers to where he is today as probably the #1 prospect in the country in what seems like a couple of months. I understand people mature differently but, man, what I see on that film didn't happen in just a couple of months. Anyway,, I sure hope he ends up AU- he looks about as good as any I've seen as a high school QB. WDE Mr. Fields!

Recruiting is two fold... the first is being a great player... the second is making sure people know you are a great player.  Odds are what happened is that his support network failed to market him properly until he started making the camp rounds this Summer. It's kind of similar to why Willis was a 3* when it's obvious watching him play that, had he been marketed better, he probably would have ended up a 4* and a lot harder to land.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Recruiting is two fold... the first is being a great player... the second is making sure people know you are a great player.  Odds are what happened is that his support network failed to market him properly until he started making the camp rounds this Summer. It's kind of similar to why Willis was a 3* when it's obvious watching him play that, had he been marketed better, he probably would have ended up a 4* and a lot harder to land.

Yep. Marketing, camps, being in a high visibility program, being on a good team that allows you to put up big stats and show out in postseason play...

On 8/13/2017 at 9:54 AM, corchjay said:

I just don't understand why Teague jumped on OSU so quickly they already have 2 backs committed this year before him.

From the moment he stepped foot on campus there, Urban has been finding every angle he could to get a leg up. I wouldn't put it past him to be lying through his teeth to these kids to get them on board, and who knows what he's promising them.  Also, don't forget, he hates Auburn as much as anyone out there, so you can bet he negative recruits the heck out of us when he gets the chance.

50 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

From the moment he stepped foot on campus there, Urban has been finding every angle he could to get a leg up. I wouldn't put it past him to be lying through his teeth to these kids to get them on board, and who knows what he's promising them.  Also, don't forget, he hates Auburn as much as anyone out there, so you can bet he negative recruits the heck out of us when he gets the chance.

Urban may not be a proverbial nice guy and he may recruit some less than righteous players , but he is a recruiting machine. He has been at Utah, Florida, and now OSU. Whatever he is promising them is working, because he is winning on pace with Saban. I have made this argument on this forum before: start churning out 11-12 win seasons and make the playoffs every year and you don't have to negative recruit anyone. Recruits commit to you early so they don't lose their spot. It is our staff's job to recruit with more urgency. 

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Urban may not be a proverbial nice guy and he may recruit some less than righteous players , but he is a recruiting machine. He has been at Utah, Florida, and now OSU. Whatever he is promising them is working, because he is winning on pace with Saban. I have made this argument on this forum before: start churning out 11-12 win seasons and make the playoffs every year and you don't have to negative recruit anyone. Recruits commit to you early so they don't lose their spot. It is our staff's job to recruit with more urgency. 

Meyer is schmuck.  He was struggling to regain the limelight after Tebow left and I think he lost 5 games the year he quit Florida He quit UF to be with family and health reasons (heart).  That lasted less than 12 months...basically OSU saw the unique opportunity hire him and force out Jim T, which would be hard to do.   Also with Meyer not coaching, he could talk with OSU officials while Trexel was coaching...The guy is a snake.  So basically in less 12 months his kids grew up and his heart is just fine?  

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Meyer is schmuck.  He was struggling to regain the limelight after Tebow left and I think he lost 5 games the year he quit Florida He quit UF to be with family and health reasons (heart).  That lasted less than 12 months...basically OSU saw the unique opportunity hire him and force out Jim T, which would be hard to do.   Also with Meyer not coaching, he could talk with OSU officials while Trexel was coaching...The guy is a snake.  So basically in less 12 months his kids grew up and his heart is just fine?  

My post implied that he's no saint. He's a college football coach, not a preacher. But I'm worn down on some AU fans insinuating that every recruit we lose is because the other guys are corrupt or they are  negatively recruiting against us. The OP I was responding to was inferring that Meyer landed Teague by lying or recruiting negatively against us. As opposed to getting Teague by having better results to sell or outworking our coaches. I love our team and our coaches but we need to close stronger in our top targets.  If Urban were at AU winning and recruiting like he does, would you still think he's a schmuck?

ok, I prob over-reacted.  But I honestly have zero belief in the reasons he stated as to why he left UF and think he played the sympathy card with the fans.   I think he crossed the line using his family and health.  I wish he had just said, "I need a bleeping break and will spend time with my family while I regroup."   I have discussed this example with my son as a learning point regarding integrity.

You deserve an answer to your question Gowebb.  Hmmmm.   If he had left UF for Auburn under the same premise?  Yeah, he is still a schmuck.   My schmuck?  Sure, I would claim him but not respect him so much.   

Disclosure:  my values are based on my experience serving in the Army here and overseas, so I do value integrity ..  

Sorry if I got us off topic.  My bad...

Justin "the Swiss Army knife" Fields will commit before Valentines Day I read somewhere.  Can E confirm this?  

13 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

My post implied that he's no saint. He's a college football coach, not a preacher. But I'm worn down on some AU fans insinuating that every recruit we lose is because the other guys are corrupt or they are  negatively recruiting against us. The OP I was responding to was inferring that Meyer landed Teague by lying or recruiting negatively against us. As opposed to getting Teague by having better results to sell or outworking our coaches. I love our team and our coaches but we need to close stronger in our top targets.  If Urban were at AU winning and recruiting like he does, would you still think he's a schmuck?

The answer here is NO. Just look at how hated he was by OSU prior to them hiring him. My father-in-law is a huge buckeyes fan and he LOATHED Urban after that "unethical dirty coach let some defensive back play in the NC game after rape accusations and then proceeded to run the score up showing how classless he really is."

Ask him what he thinks now. He still will not answer me!   =)

11 hours ago, Beaker said:

Disclosure:  my values are based on my experience serving in the Army here and overseas, so I do value integrity ..  

Thanks for your service, Beaker. Even though we don't see eye to eye on this issue, serving our nation in the Army and valuing integrity are things we have in common. As well as wanting JF in an AU uniform next year. 

13 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Here's the thing... ask any Big 10 coach what they think of Urban.  They had gentleman's agreements about recruiting that every coach in the league followed... until Urban came along and decided the he was going to do things his way, forcing everyone to drop playing nice in order to keep up with Ohio State. He's notorious for doing anything and everything to get what he wants, and it is not remotely unusual for him to do something JUST to stick it to Auburn, since he is pissed that we won with Cam and that he never beat us.

To answer your question, yes, if he was at Auburn and doing the kinds of things that he does, I would totally think he was a schmuck.  That's why, when there is a coaching search, I lobby against people like him, Petrino, etc as candidates.

Other than Gatewood and Fields, who are the other QB's that Gus / Chip are considering? The more I read, the more I'm getting a feeling that Fields will end up at uga. If we only sign 1 QB in 2018, I think it will come back and hurt us.

Hopefully JF is excited about seeing JS start for us.  Would be neat to read a thread about JF rather than debates on ethics of rival coaches.  

Just my opinion...

2 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

Hopefully JF is excited about seeing JS start for us.  Would be neat to read a thread about JF rather than debates on ethics of rival coaches.  

Just my opinion...

Dead period...

Archived