2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

Making the Case: Justin Fields

Woody Wommack | Rivals.com

M7johjdbxodcngmuc5xw

QB WEEK: Most QB success in Big Ten | Highest-ranked Big Ten QBs | Polarizing QBs

With less than five months until prospects can begin signing with schools, several of the nation’s top players have begun to cut their lists in advance of a commitment announcement.

Today, experts from the Rivals.com network examine where five-star quarterback Justin Fieldsmight end up playing his college football. The candidates are Auburn, Florida State and Georgia.

twnetqpgwz7tcugdolju
Justin Fields
Dual-threat quarterback
 RR: 6.1
Harrison
Kennesaw, GA
6'3" 220 lbs Class of 2018
UNDECIDED

RANK

THE SITUATION

After initially committing to Penn State during the fall of his junior season, Fields saw his recruitment explode, with several new programs entering the mix. As his star continued to rise, his commitment to the Nittany Lions began to waver before he eventually re-opened his recruitment in June. Since then, he’s been a regular on the visit circuit and hasn't been shy about sharing his location on social media or his thoughts with reporters following the trips. Rumors have circulated about when Fields will announce his decision and while a firm date isn’t set, he could reveal his commitment at any time, so we asked our team of experts to state the case for their respective programs and let National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell issue a verdict.

THE CASE FOR FLORIDA STATE

“Obviously there are a lot of reasons for each school, but when you look at Florida State the reasons just make too much sense. First, no school in the mix has the pedigree or offense that the Seminoles showcase when you consider it's a pro-style offense that seems to fit Fields the best. FSU is the one school heavily in the mix that has shown the ability not only to spread the ball around but use their quarterbacks in a lot of different ways in getting them ready for the NFL. 

“Then there is the Jimbo Fisher effect when it comes to what he does in developing quarterbacks. Christian Ponder came in as a three-star prospect and Fisher turned him into a first-round pick for the Minnesota Vikings. Not to mention the most recent five star prospect at quarterback Jameis Winston won a national title under Fisher and was also selected first overall in the draft. 

“In addition, while other teams have certainly their selling points like Georgia, Auburn and so on with location or friends close to Fields, it's been very clear that the FSU offer had a huge effect on Fields and the Noles really turned up the heat. FSU focused all of its attention on Fields and Fisher hasn't let up. 

“Then lastly, and maybe even the biggest reason for FSU, is that Deondre Francois could opt to go pro after this season and there isn't an established incumbent. When you look at all the young receivers and also very talented running backs the 'Noles have added, that makes FSU even more enticing. The 'Noles would be a very tough option to turn down. FSU makes the most sense both from a comfort, fit and coaching standpoint.” – Michael Langston, Warchant.com

Xnnc0g6lsqytb7ypwdtc

THE CASE FOR AUBURN

“Auburn has several things working in its favor with Fields. First and foremost, it has Gus Malzahn's impressive track record with dual-threat quarterbacks. Auburn has been at its best under Malzahn with a quarterback who possesses the skills of Fields. See Cam Newton. See Nick Marshall. See two SEC titles and two national championship game appearances, including a win in 2010. New offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey's run-pass option offense would fit Fields perfectly. He can run. He can throw. It also doesn't hurt that Fields admires Newton, aspires to break Newton's records and plays for the Heisman winner's 7-on-7 team. That's an edge for Auburn. Auburn might not be the popular pick for Fields among analysts, but don't count out the Tigers. Auburn typically does well as the underdog.” – Jeffrey Lee, AuburnSports.com

Ekam5ytdqukvtmkgiqhj

THE CASE FOR GEORGIA

“With two five-star quarterbacks already in Athens, it might seem that the Bulldogs should have been written off long ago, but that's not been the case with Fields. Why? The five-star in his own right could bring something to Sanford Stadium that's been lacking for some time - his ability to scramble. The Bulldogs have long worked with the traditional pocket passers, but it's no secret that the last time they won a SEC championship, it was a dual-threat quarterback (D.J. Shockley) under center. That fact isn't lost on Fields, and it's what's kept the Bulldogs among the front runners throughout, as Georgia would likely conceive a package for him out of the gate. Additionally, his sister is playing softball in Athens, he's from Georgia, and he comes from a tight knit family, which is another compelling factor.” – Jake Reuse, UGASports.com

Mdiiqggsxmbaalqj1ing

THE VERDICT

“It’s so hard to read Fields because he tells everyone what they want to hear, at least according to numerous sources, but I’ll say he picks Florida State. Do I have any inside knowledge of this decision? Nope, none. So why do I say Florida State over Georgia, Auburn and USC? It’s a hunch based on the development of quarterbacks at FSU under Fisher and the logjam of five-star quarterbacks at Georgia, where many assume he will end up. Auburn was in the mix, but I never felt they would be the team of choice and USC has always been on the outside looking in to me, so I’ll pick FSU over Georgia. 

"He fits in every scheme he’s looking at and teams will tailor their offenses to his strengths, but the path of least resistance between Georgia and FSU appears to be the 'Noles and I don’t think Fields will want to sit and wait his turn. That’s my hunch.” - Rivals.com National Recruiting Director Mike Farrell

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Woody Wommack is an FSU fan with FSU glasses on in an FSU jump suit with Seminole shoes on writing an "unbiased" article...

JF is a dual threat QB.  I know he has great arm and touch but he is a dual threat.  How does that make him a better fit at FSU (pro-style) than AU who lives on DT QBs?

48 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

So Woody Wommack is an FSU fan with FSU glasses on in an FSU jump suit with Seminole shoes on writing an "unbiased" article...

JF is a dual threat QB.  I know he has great arm and touch but he is a dual threat.  How does that make him a better fit at FSU (pro-style) than AU who lives on DT QBs?

Deondre Francois is a DT QB and killed it last year at FSU as a freshman. And we've only had 2 legit DT QBs at Auburn. 

The Rivals analysis is probably accurate as far as logic goes. Our best shot is that Fields likes our school and coaches better and we have a good season to solidify the coaching staff and quiet all the nay-sayers. We have a better chance than the Rivals guys think we have, but Fields is a long way from a done deal for AU.

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The Rivals analysis is probably accurate as far as logic goes. Our best shot is that Fields likes our school and coaches better and we have a good season to solidify the coaching staff and quiet all the nay-sayers. We have a better chance than the Rivals guys think we have, but Fields is a long way from a done deal for AU.

I totally agree.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Deondre Francois is a DT QB and killed it last year at FSU as a freshman. And we've only had 2 legit DT QBs at Auburn. 

Dameyune Craig says, "Hi!"

46 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Was just about say Craig was the original DTQB

Since we're all certain Fields will sign with the good guys, there's only one question left to consider:  Will JF break the record for the longest thread.  We must factor in the 25 post pages as well as likes and other emojis as opposed to the old (+1s and ^ this's)

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

He sure wouldn't be able to text, IM, Facebook or call from his cell phone 20 years ago.  Of course, since DC is at FSU, guess he could tell the kid in person. :)

42 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Since we're all certain Fields will sign with the good guys, there's only one question left to consider:  Will JF break the record for the longest thread.  We must factor in the 25 post pages as well as likes and other emojis as opposed to the old (+1s and ^ this's)

nope not even close

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

nope not even close

Well we want with attitude. Get to posting people we need that record.

In all seriousness, I see JF as a luxury item. We are in much better shape at QB than we have been in a good while:

We have Stidham who has just been named starter for 2017. We all feel pretty good about him. He may be here for 2018 also. 

We have SW who when healthy is a good, efficient QB. He is as good and experienced of a back up you'll find anywhere.  Although there are rumors he may be leaving after this year.

Malik Willis has impressed everyone so far. He has the potential to be a really good QB.  I hope it works out that he can redshirt this year.  Then he would enter 2018 as a RSFR. 

Joey Ballgame has more raw tools than any QB we have ever had not named Cameron Newton. Hopefully, the way that Malik has progressed will allow JG time to develop and make full use of his potential.  He will enter 2018 as a TF and hopefully RS that first year. 

We should all feel very confident about landing Bo Nix. He has big time throws in big time situations at AU in his DNA, not to mention growing up a pretty dog gone good QB coach's son. Some believe he will be the #1 or #2 QB in the 2019 class. 

I will be giddy if we land Fields. He is a generational type talent.  But for the first time in a while, I feel pretty good about our QB situation with or without JF. 

47 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

In all seriousness, I see JF as a luxury item. We are in much better shape at QB than we have been in a good while:

We have Stidham who has just been named starter for 2017. We all feel pretty good about him. He may be here for 2018 also. 

We have SW who when healthy is a good, efficient QB. He is as good and experienced of a back up you'll find anywhere.  Although there are rumors he may be leaving after this year.

Malik Willis has impressed everyone so far. He has the potential to be a really good QB.  I hope it works out that he can redshirt this year.  Then he would enter 2018 as a RSFR. 

Joey Ballgame has more raw tools than any QB we have ever had not named Cameron Newton. Hopefully, the way that Malik has progressed will allow JG time to develop and make full use of his potential.  He will enter 2018 as a TF and hopefully RS that first year. 

We should all feel very confident about landing Bo Nix. He has big time throws in big time situations at AU in his DNA, not to mention growing up a pretty dog gone good QB coach's son. Some believe he will be the #1 or #2 QB in the 2019 class. 

I will be giddy if we land Fields. He is a generational type talent.  But for the first time in a while, I feel pretty good about our QB situation with or without JF. 

While not disagreeing with you, I would say they if JF is indeed a generational talent, then that does make him more than a luxury item. 

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

While not disagreeing with you, I would say they if JF is indeed a generational talent, then that does make him more than a luxury item. 

Semantics

meaning we'll be fine at QB whether or not he chooses AU. Obviously if we add him to the list above, we'll be in even better shape which would be AUsome!

I think that's what both of us are saying. 

17 hours ago, Rednilla said:

16 hours ago, Tiger said:

Was just about say Craig was the original DTQB

15 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

He sure wouldn't be able to text, IM, Facebook or call from his cell phone 20 years ago.  Of course, since DC is at FSU, guess he could tell the kid in person. :)

1 out of 3 gets it :Sing:

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

1 out of 3 gets it :Sing:

You said we've only had 2 legit dual threat QBs at Auburn. I'm not sure you get it.

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

You said we've only had 2 legit dual threat QBs at Auburn. I'm not sure you get it.

Good lord. Go back and read the comment that I was responding to. Since we're including the entire history of Auburn football, be sure to tell that guy that neither Tommy Tuberville nor Pat Dye nor Shug Jordan "lived off dual threat QBs". Guys that played 20 years ago clearly have no relevance whatsoever to the conversation.  

Oh, by the way, Jimmy Sidle says "hi" right back, because that has a lot of bearing on a conversation about Gus Malzahn's tenure at Auburn. No really, it matters.

Yep, just googled Jimmy Sidle. I really ought to buy one of those books that chronicles the history of Auburn football. My recollection begins with Patrick Nix. Anyone else that I know about, everyone knows about - like Bo. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yep, just googled Jimmy Sidle. I really ought to buy one of those books that chronicles the history of Auburn football. My recollection begins with Patrick Nix. Anyone else that I know about, everyone knows about - like Bo. 

I only know of him because some of our, uh, more experienced posters have discussed him. 

58 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yep Jimmy was second in the nation rushing his junior year as a QB. Now he was not very good at throwing but we didn't need to throw often

Archived