2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ellitor said:

He's saying the right things publicly but he does not want to be in a 2 QB class. Given what his high school coach has been doing I don't blame him.

But I thought we were taking two QB's in this class .

5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Just a week or two ago, it was an FSU-UGA-AU battle. Now LSU is in, and there's a new article about how JF and Saban are talking a lot. My guess is we are heading for some serious drama. I'm with @DAG on this one. We know we have JS, MW, and JG and I'm quite certain we'll be fine. WDE! ?

And if we lose out on JF it increases our chances with Bo Nix the next year.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

He's saying the right things publicly but he does not want to be in a 2 QB class. Given what his high school coach has been doing I don't blame him.

I can respect that stance but what I don't get is that there will always be 2-3 guys you're competing against whether they are in the same recruiting class or not. If a guy redshirts the year before then it's still a 2 QB class in essence. Just another way of looking at it. But after all of that I still want JG and Auburn will be fine if he is the lone QB signee. 

2 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

I love JG. But people are forgetting why Justin Fields is ranked so highly. Not a star chaser, just saying.

Well yes he is the best prospect out there . No one is denying that .

I'm of the opposite opinion on Joey Gatewood. I think the kid just flat out loves Auburn. If he had a problem with splitting time / competing for QB snaps then he would have gone to another high school after last year. 

I think he'll be an Auburn Tiger regardless of what Justin Fields decides to do.

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well yes he is the best prospect out there . No one is denying that .

Yeah I know. But to say we'd be just fine with just Joey is silly imo. Justin's a can't miss player. 

13 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Yeah I know. But to say we'd be just fine with just Joey is silly imo. Justin's a can't miss player. 

I do not think there is any such thing as a can't miss player. Look at ole Johnson. Also not a sure thing missing on Fields will get AU Nix next year. Take what you can get and develop what you have. I am hoping for Joey, Fields and Nix until they go somewhere else.

39 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I disagree with that. 100% . He is a great high school player but there is no guarantee that he will be a superstar at the next level. He clearly has the talent to be but to sell your soul for a "can't miss player" and to dismiss JG ability/relationship is completely short sighted. That type of thinking is what cause fans to lose the reality of the situation. What you pretty much told me is you wouldn't be content if we just got JG and missed on JF. That is bizarre to me when in reality, we would be lucky to get both. I don't think both of those guys will be signing the dotted lines to come to AU. Just my .02 cents. I tend to believe we would be in good hands with either one of these guys.

Btw...not trying to derail the thread, but I wanted to see what the success rate of these 5-star QBs in college

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/5-star-qbs-last-decade/

Interesting list.

Look at this...Tyrod Taylor was the can't miss 5 star and Cam Newton was the 4 in 2007

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

I disagree with that. 100% . He is a great high school player but there is no guarantee that he will be a superstar at the next level. He clearly has the talent to be but to sell your soul for a "can't miss player" and to dismiss JG ability/relationship is completely short sighted. That type of thinking is what cause fans to lose the reality of the situation. What you pretty much told me is you wouldn't be content if we just got JG and missed on JF. That is bizarre to me when in reality, we would be lucky to get both. I don't think both of those guys will be signing the dotted lines to come to AU. Just my .02 cents. I tend to believe we would be in good hands with either one of these guys.

I should've said it a different way. I absolutely think the world of Joey, I love him as an Auburn man and his athletic ability is through the roof. But when I commented, I guess I saw a lot of posts about how everyone is just fine with Joey and I guess I feel like some people didn't want us to pursue Justin and just be content with Joey. That's all fine and dandy if you or anyone feels that way, but if we're in the Justin Fields sweepstakes and we're close to pulling this off. We take JF all day and hope Joey sticks ya know? 

I can understand the view that Fields offers less risk. He's more polished, as close to "can't miss" as there is.

Even with that said, there is no guarantee that he'll be the better player when both guys are relevant. What I mean by that is, we're projecting out for both guys. The question is not, who would you take today? The question is, who would you take in two or three years? Because that's really what we're looking for.

I've never been of the opinion that Stidham is leaving after one year. I just don't buy it. He has solid measurables, but he's not mind-blowing on the hoof. He's a QB with very limited experience at the college level, and he's not going to post record-breaking numbers. Why would he jump into a the Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen class? Those three are comparable skill sets with either more experience or better measurables or both. He's coming back next year.

If that's true, neither Justin nor Joey are going to start for us, and if they're not starting, odds are Malik Willis is QB2. It becomes a much closer question on who you like better between the two when you start projecting out two years. Gatewood is, unquestionably, the better athlete, which in some ways, means he has the higher ceiling. All things being equal you'd rather have the better athlete. The question is, can he close the gap as a passer? If you think he can, you'd rather have Gatewood. If not, you'd rather have Fields. But that's a tough question.

That's why I'm not of the opinion that Fields is a "must have" for this class. If it's an either/or situation, I'm more of the view that it's six in one hand, half dozen in the other.

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Btw...not trying to derail the thread, but I wanted to see what the success rate of these 5-star QBs in college

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/5-star-qbs-last-decade/

Interesting list.

Look at this...Tyrod Taylor was the can't miss 5 star and Cam Newton was the 4 in 2007

Thanks for posting this. This list illuminates a couple of things. First, just how many of these 5 star can't misses, miss in college. Second, how dependent a QBs success is to having them in the right system. Several of the 'other notables' were 3 and 4 star high school guys who performed at a 5 star level in college because they got into a system that for their skill set. Both JF and JG would fit well in our system. 

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Thanks for posting this. This list illuminates a couple of things. First, just how many of these 5 star can't misses, miss in college. Second, how dependent a QBs success is to having them in the right system. Several of the 'other notables' were 3 and 4 star high school guys who performed at a 5 star level in college because they got into a system that for their skill set. Both JF and JG would fit well in our system. 

Yeah it was good to see some sort of data . Allows for more perspective .

16 hours ago, McLoofus said:

And why he gets criticized when his lock, stock and barrel fails. 

And criticized when his QB gets hurt, criticized when AU only scores 41 points in an opener, criticized when people think somebody else should be starting at any random position, on and on. If coaches can't stand criticism they should find another job, but the endless criticism that stems from nothing but personal dislike gets old with some of us fans. I doubt that Gus gives a rat's azz about it.

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

And criticized when his QB gets hurt, criticized when AU only scores 41 points in an opener, criticized when people think somebody else should be starting at any random position, on and on. If coaches can't stand criticism they should find another job, but the endless criticism that stems from nothing but personal dislike gets old with some of us fans. I doubt that Gus gives a rat's azz about it.

Mikey I don't dislike Gus personally. He's a great guy. As far as being the head football coach at AU? Not a fan.  

And JF is being recruited to play in Chip's version of the O. JF is not interested or will play in Gus's power run first O. We keep playing like we have the last two years he goes to another school. Not how AU is recruiting him, to play in a typical Gus run first offense. That is a fact. And last weekend was a fail, as far as recruiting JF. AU was suppose, per people that would know, to open the O up. JF and his family were paying attention. And AU failed. Guess we shall see after this weekend. 

A friend of mine said he rewatched the game and believes he saw 7 plays or sets on Saturday.   That was total.  I suspect what most are saying is true, we ran pure vanilla and the old O except for the crossing pattern play.  1 new play.  

I have to believe we see 5-10 different plays on Saturday.  No way it's same O.   Surely they didn't practice for 3 weeks in August and come up with 1 new play.....

"Let her rip, tater Chip!  "

53 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He wasn't criticized for his QB getting hurt. He was criticized for not having a viable backup. 

He isn't criticized for scoring 41 points. He's criticized for not using an opportunity to fine tune a new offense with a new OC, new QB and 2 new tackles. (Not to mention a bunch of young WRs who don't have much experience, you know, *receiving* at all.)

All coaches get criticized for who they choose to start "and on and on" when their final records fall far short of expectations and they lose all their most important games in consecutive years. Come on, man. 

Gus owns a lot of losses the last couple years and no significant wins. He has failed repeatedly at a job that he gets paid the big bucks for (your words). His successes in between don't forgive that. That's not how multi-million dollar salaries work. He got paid the big bucks to try to make John Franklin a quarterback and to trot out that objectively asinine game plan against Clemson last year. You don't think the fans have a right to call his decision making into question after that?

If the same people criticizing him continue to do so if and when this team strings together a few quality wins against quality opponents, then you can claim personal dislike all you want. Until then, it's much more rational *in my mind*  to believe that we all want Auburn to succeed and we just don't like it when the guy in charge of making that happen fails.

We'll see if they already got the fine tuning of the offense done in the offseason this Saturday. We'll see if we actually have an offense that Justin Fields or any other top tier QB who wants to toss the ball around a little bit would want to play in. If it looks good, people will rightly start praising Gus for hiring the right guy and letting him do his job. If it doesn't, then people will rightly criticize him even more, because he will have failed again. In neither case will their assessment be based on how much they like or dislike him. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He wasn't criticized for his QB getting hurt. He was criticized for not having a viable backup. 

He isn't criticized for scoring 41 points. He's criticized for not using an opportunity to fine tune a new offense with a new OC, new QB and 2 new tackles. (Not to mention a bunch of young WRs who don't have much experience, you know, *receiving* at all.)

All coaches get criticized for who they choose to start "and on and on" when their final records fall far short of expectations and they lose all their most important games in consecutive years. Come on, man. 

Gus owns a lot of losses the last couple years and no significant wins. He has failed repeatedly at a job that he gets paid the big bucks for (your words). His successes in between don't forgive that. That's not how multi-million dollar salaries work. He got paid the big bucks to try to make John Franklin a quarterback and to trot out that objectively asinine game plan against Clemson last year. You don't think the fans have a right to call his decision making into question after that?

If the same people criticizing him continue to do so if and when this team strings together a few quality wins against quality opponents, then you can claim personal dislike all you want. Until then, it's much more rational *in my mind*  to believe that we all want Auburn to succeed and we just don't like it when the guy in charge of making that happen fails.

We'll see if they already got the fine tuning of the offense done in the offseason this Saturday. We'll see if we actually have an offense that Justin Fields or any other top tier QB who wants to toss the ball around a little bit would want to play in. If it looks good, people will rightly start praising Gus for hiring the right guy and letting him do his job. If it doesn't, then people will rightly criticize him even more, because he will have failed again. In neither case will their assessment be based on how much they like or dislike him. 

wow impressive loof didn't know you had it in you.........:poke:

Just now, augolf1716 said:

wow impressive loof didn't know you had it in you.........:poke:

I'm not sure what I have in me, but I think it has something to do with washing down my Thai food with bourbon last night. *burp*

Great summation about Gus and criticism by McLoof.

I am the biggest kool-aid drinking son of a gun I think.  However, you are right, if we come out and look rusty with the new plays vs Clemson, I will be very critical b/c we wasted a chance last Saturday to "fine tune".  I am talking about mental and execution mistakes, not plays where Clemson whipped us.  They are talent-laden also.  And I think Sweeney is a better coach, but if we look confused, dropping balls, overworking skill players, not using Malik Willis if needed - yeah, we should not be in those positions.    The HC chooses the strategy and he owns it, he owns the good, bad and the ugly.

and one more thing: that Georgia loss was nearly unforgivable.  We 'saved' Woody Barret's redshirt by not having him play?  How did that work out?  We knew JF could not play, we knew S White was injured and could not pass more than 12 yds and we knew what we had in JJ....HUGE blunder on Gus' part; enough on that mess.

where's my kool-aid cup again?    

52 minutes ago, Beaker said:

We 'saved' Woody Barret's redshirt by not having him play?

They weren't saving Woody's red shirt, they didn't think he was any improvement over Franklin.

Archived