2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

14 hours ago, kd4au said:

But I thought we were taking two QB's in this class .

We may depending on circumstances but there is a big difference between getting 2 alpha dogs like Joey & Justin as opposed to getting Joey and a 3* accurate kid. Joey would be more apt to being understanding to AU signing the 3* for depth purposes as opposed to direct competition.

FTR since Justin is already an accurate passer if we get him & Joey flips we may not sign a 2nd QB.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, gr82be said:

I can respect that stance but what I don't get is that there will always be 2-3 guys you're competing against whether they are in the same recruiting class or not. If a guy redshirts the year before then it's still a 2 QB class in essence. Just another way of looking at it. But after all of that I still want JG and Auburn will be fine if he is the lone QB signee. 

Yes but if the kid in the class before redshirts then he's not really much ahead since he has no college game experience. Given the current NCAA practice rules practices don't even remotely compare to game experience even in mop up duty.

10 hours ago, WFE12 said:

So it's more likely he waits longer than expected to commit now?

October is most likely now.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Mikey I don't dislike Gus personally. He's a great guy. As far as being the head football coach at AU? Not a fan.  

And JF is being recruited to play in Chip's version of the O. JF is not interested or will play in Gus's power run first O. We keep playing like we have the last two years he goes to another school. Not how AU is recruiting him, to play in a typical Gus run first offense. That is a fact. And last weekend was a fail, as far as recruiting JF. AU was suppose, per people that would know, to open the O up. JF and his family were paying attention. And AU failed. Guess we shall see after this weekend. 

Just a question. Would this still be the perception if there weren't 3 drops. If those drops don't happen then Stidham's stat line is a nice 17-24 for over 250 yards & 3 TDs.

36 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Just a question. Would this still be the perception if there weren't 3 drops. If those drops don't happen then Stidham's stat line is a nice 17-24 for over 250 yards & 3 TDs.

I know you aren't asking me, but maybe the critical number there is the 24. We ran 79 plays so that's a 70/30 run/pass balance. Now, it's not quite that bad, because there were some called passes that ended up being runs. On the other hand though, 40 percent of the passes we did attempt were within 5 yards of the LOS.

Last year among P5 schools only Ga Tech was more unbalanced toward the run than us. And the (very) preliminary returns indicate this year might be more of the same.  If you are JF and are being sold the idea that we are going to run a balanced offense this year, and you see this game.... :dunno:

FWIW here is the Fields quote I referenced yesterday from a couple weeks ago talking about a potential UGA QB injury...

I’m not really looking at the wins and losses and how the team plays. My main thing is the quarterback position. That’s the position I play. So say if Jacob Eason gets hurt. Of course, now I don’t want him to get hurt. I don’t want that. He’s a great guy. A great guy. But for example, then in that situation maybe Jake Fromm goes in there and lights it up. Just tears it up. Well, for me then Georgia has kind of solidified their starter. I would have to take a good look at that. Now, I’m not afraid to compete. But I feel like if he has that experience then he would have that edge over me. But if Jacob Eason plays most of the whole season, then Jake Fromm doesn’t have that edge [in playing time] on me at all.”

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:18 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Really? I'd say it hurt us. We didn't do anything like we told JF AU would do. I'd say that UGA really helped themselves. FSU has been 3rd in the running. I'd say FSU is trending down with JF also. 

We were not hurt  Saturday.  We never told JF we would open up the playbook and unleash the offense against Georgia Southern. We did see some difference in the passing game with the slants and crossing routes.  ALso a beautiful post corner to score inside the red zone. 

2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

We were not hurt  Saturday.  We never told JF we would open up the playbook and unleash the offense against Georgia Southern. We did see some difference in the passing game with the slants and crossing routes.  ALso a beautiful post corner to score inside the red zone. 

Yeah, but do you really have to open up the playbook a lot to throw it on first down more?

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

We may depending on circumstances but there is a big difference between getting 2 alpha dogs like Joey & Justin as opposed to getting Joey and a 3* accurate kid. Joey would be more apt to being understanding to AU signing the 3* for depth purposes as opposed to direct competition.

FTR since Justin is already an accurate passer if we get him & Joey flips we may not sign a 2nd QB.

3* Malik Willis says " Why you dissing on us 3 star qb recruits "? There could easily be another one who shows out his senior year/see JF that AU might identify and take as qb2 along with JG!

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:35 AM, ellitor said:

Nope & nope. Recruiting reporters including from UGA & FSU are saying their QB injuries helped AU. In fact Fields straight up said a couple weeks ago that if Fromm became QB1 this season it would hurt UGA with him. He doesn't want to go to a place where the QB 1 class ahead of him is the already established starter.

This the reporters are correct.  We were definitely helped indirectly Saturday.  ALso we didn't hurt ourself either JF didn't see the game first of all and was told how the game would go.  Why would we risk showing Clemson new wrinkles in the offense just to show out for a recruit.  JF is a once in a decade type recruit I know but we have a title shot this year.  JF knows the deal and we are sitting good.  If we implode Saturday and don't show anything but the same ole offense we will hurt ourselves..

5 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Yeah, but do you really have to open up the playbook a lot to throw it on first down more?

Why throw when you are dominating on the ground against Georgia SOuthern.  We made the mistake of giving the ball to KJ too much who is not an every down back, but we were dominating in the run game. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Thank you.  E is correct as usual.

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

There's no need to show Clemson we were breaking that tendency versus Ga. Southern. With that said if Gus derps Clemson everyone will be fully justified for their frustrations.

3 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Why throw when you are dominating on the ground against Georgia SOuthern.  We made the mistake of giving the ball to KJ too much who is not an every down back, but we were dominating in the run game. 

Because AU doesn't need to work on the running game. AU needs to be able to hit 5-10 yard passes and needs to be able to throw on first down. Or maybe I am wrong and you should go into the GSU game with the idea that you just need to win it and do what you do best.

4 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Why throw when you are dominating on the ground against Georgia SOuthern. 

As stated many times before, for practice. 

We made the mistake of giving the ball to KJ too much who is not an every down back, but we were dominating in the run game. 

Kerryon is an every down back. He's 6'0 212 pounds. His injury had nothing to do with contact. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Kerryon is an every down back. He's 6'0 212 pounds. His injury had nothing to do with contact. 

Size alone does not make a player an every down back. Every down backs don't get injured for extensive periods of time every year going all the way back through his Soph year of high school. KJ has some injury prone body parts. At this point there are no ifs or buts about it.

Just now, jared52 said:

Because AU doesn't need to work on the running game. AU needs to be able to hit 5-10 yard passes and needs to be able to throw on first down. Or maybe I am wrong and you should go into the GSU game with the idea that you just need to win it and do what you do best.

We are ready in the passing game. Saturday will be a good one.  I expect a close one due to Bryant the Clemson qb looks like a baller.  Stidham threw the ball 25 times against Georgia Southern.  See Es post above on what his stats would have been without drops where balls hit wr in hands.  We had a couple of mishaps in pass protection which we will get situated.  Darius James got beat a few times after watched the replay.  He also sealed off that right side for the run game along with BRaden.  

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As stated many times before, for practice. 

No he isn't.  SOrry he just isn't. He is a 20 carry a game rb at most.  His running style has more to do with it than his size. 

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Size alone does not make a player an every down back. Every down backs don't get injured for extensive periods of time every year going all the way back through his Soph year of high school. KJ has some injury prone body parts. At this point there are no ifs or buts about it.

I think you know from my posts in a lot of threads about various players that other fans consider undersized that I agree with that first part. As for being injury prone, that likewise isn't based on a pitch count. If an injury can happen at any time, then it can happen when a guy touches it 5 times or when he touches it 30. 

Fun fact: Cadillac  Williams broke his collarbone as a freshman, broke his leg as a sophomore and then broke his ankle as a junior.

16 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

No he isn't.  SOrry he just isn't. He is a 20 carry a game rb at most.  His running style has more to do with it than his size. 

Honest question: what about his running style makes him a 20 carry a game at most RB?

31 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

We are ready in the passing game. Saturday will be a good one.  I expect a close one due to Bryant the Clemson qb looks like a baller.  Stidham threw the ball 25 times against Georgia Southern.  See Es post above on what his stats would have been without drops where balls hit wr in hands.  We had a couple of mishaps in pass protection which we will get situated.  Darius James got beat a few times after watched the replay.  He also sealed off that right side for the run game along with BRaden.  

Working on the passing game isn't just about the QB though. The WR need to work on true game situations as well. Saturday will hopefully be a fun one for sure. A lot of questions will be answered then.

8 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Working on the passing game isn't just about the QB though. The WR need to work on true game situations as well. Saturday will hopefully be a fun one for sure. A lot of questions will be answered then.

Thank you. The WRs need the reps. The RBs need the reps. Everybody needs the reps when they're doing things they haven't done before in live game situations. 

Or maybe not. Maybe we really did have a great practice every day in August. That would be awesome. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He wasn't criticized for his QB getting hurt. He was criticized for not having a viable backup. 

He isn't criticized for scoring 41 points. He's criticized for not using an opportunity to fine tune a new offense with a new OC, new QB and 2 new tackles. (Not to mention a bunch of young WRs who don't have much experience, you know, *receiving* at all.)

All coaches get criticized for who they choose to start "and on and on" when their final records fall far short of expectations and they lose all their most important games in consecutive years. Come on, man. 

Gus owns a lot of losses the last couple years and no significant wins. He has failed repeatedly at a job that he gets paid the big bucks for (your words). His successes in between don't forgive that. That's not how multi-million dollar salaries work. He got paid the big bucks to try to make John Franklin a quarterback and to trot out that objectively asinine game plan against Clemson last year. You don't think the fans have a right to call his decision making into question after that?

If the same people criticizing him continue to do so if and when this team strings together a few quality wins against quality opponents, then you can claim personal dislike all you want. Until then, it's much more rational *in my mind*  to believe that we all want Auburn to succeed and we just don't like it when the guy in charge of making that happen fails.

We'll see if they already got the fine tuning of the offense done in the offseason this Saturday. We'll see if we actually have an offense that Justin Fields or any other top tier QB who wants to toss the ball around a little bit would want to play in. If it looks good, people will rightly start praising Gus for hiring the right guy and letting him do his job. If it doesn't, then people will rightly criticize him even more, because he will have failed again. In neither case will their assessment be based on how much they like or dislike him. 

Gus is a very rare and weird case to me as it comes to his time as a Head Coach. As of right now all of that stuff that made him a great OC? GONE! Have not seen that stuff since 2013. IDK if we EVER will see that gus again.  The stuff he does great now is the stuff usually the CEO type of head coaches are great at which is great recruiter, great motivator and great leader. We have only got totally blown out once in his tenure which is the 2014 georgia game. He has never lost the team even in 2015 when everything was going wrong. I am all really impressed with stuff like that. Unfortunately he still thinks he is this offensive genius and mastermind and instead of just totally committing to being a CEO type of coach which he has the ingredients to be great as like say a DABO and hiring the best offensive minds (admittingly he does this for defense and gets out of the way.) and getting out of their way and letting them do their thing and implementing their offense. He STILL cannot give total control because he will always view himself as a OC and playcaller first before a head coach. Just this concerned fans point of view up to this point on Gus. I feel this team can be great. Will gus let chip make it that way? I really hope so. Stidham could be the best pure passer Auburn has ever had. I really hope Gus lets chip show the world that. 

11 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Gus is a very rare and weird case to me as it comes to his time as a Head Coach. As of right now all of that stuff that made him a great OC? GONE! Have not seen that stuff since 2013. IDK if we EVER will see that gus again.  The stuff he does great now is the stuff usually the CEO type of head coaches are great at which is great recruiter, great motivator and great leader. We have only got totally blown out once in his tenure which is the 2014 georgia game. He has never lost the team even in 2015 when everything was going wrong. I am all really impressed with stuff like that. Unfortunately he still thinks he is this offensive genius and mastermind and instead of just totally committing to being a CEO type of coach which he has the ingredients to be great as like say a DABO and hiring the best offensive minds (admittingly he does this for defense and gets out of the way.) and getting out of their way and letting them do their thing and implementing their offense. He STILL cannot give total control because he will always view himself as a OC and playcaller first before a head coach. Just this concerned fans point of view up to this point on Gus. I feel this team can be great. Will gus let chip make it that way? I really hope so. Stidham could be the best pure passer Auburn has ever had. I really hope Gus lets chip show the world that. 

Image result for applause gif

Especially the CEO stuff. He's doing almost everything right. Extremely high levels of talent and character, on the field and on the sidelines... a defense that would bring a tear to Tommy Tuberville's eye... consistently having NFL-caliber kickers...

It feels like he has the final pieces in place. If he lets Chip do his job Saturday and they're not still trying to figure out how to execute the plays because they didn't practice them against GSU, then it might be the start of something beautiful. 

Archived