2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

3 hours ago, ertrader said:

I know you aren't asking me, but maybe the critical number there is the 24. We ran 79 plays so that's a 70/30 run/pass balance. Now, it's not quite that bad, because there were some called passes that ended up being runs. On the other hand though, 40 percent of the passes we did attempt were within 5 yards of the LOS.

Last year among P5 schools only Ga Tech was more unbalanced toward the run than us. And the (very) preliminary returns indicate this year might be more of the same.  If you are JF and are being sold the idea that we are going to run a balanced offense this year, and you see this game.... :dunno:

If you are going to use stats, please double check your math. ::)

If we are going to use Stidham stats, then he was in there for only 68 plays. So the ratio changes to 65/35 run/pass.

Second, some of those plays were planned WC plays with KJ. The only one I didn't like was the 3 & 4 run. That should have been a run/pass option with Stidham in there.  

It WAS Georgia Southern. I didnt expect them to pass more or even be 50/50. I would wait to see how our play patterns are run in the CLemson, Missouri games. OFC it also depends on the weakness of our opponent. 

WHo cares if 40% of the passes were within 5 yards. If you count the number of yards we got (especially with Hastings), then it is VERY productive. It also forces their hand to cover these routes, opening up for longer pass plays later in the game.

I think it's worthless to look at a first game against a weak opponent to know what our offense will look like. So why use it as support for complaining about Malzahn, and his control on the offense. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Honest question: what about his running style makes him a 20 carry a game at most RB?

look at his stride....I have thought about this a lot and watched him carefully (I ran track and cross country, marathons and ironmans, oh and ultramarathons greater than 50miles, so I think I know a little about running economy).

KJ runs while slightly over striding.  When you over-reach if you will, you lose a lot power in your lower leg.  This lack of power makes your foot, ankle and lower leg susceptible to injury the faster or farther you induce stress.  Stress...is running.   On Saturday, I saw KJ make small cut, then was injured.  Personally, I am not buying this hammy story.  Look at where the ice was placed: upper back of knee, just right of center.  I suspect it is where the hammy ties into the joint, probably a tendon.  I hope it isn't a ligament.

I told my son this summer I was worried about RB depth, regarding power running.   I wish I was wrong.  KJ has consistently struggled with lower leg injuries.  KJ is fun, great and a talent, but he can't carry the load week in and week out.     Don't get me wrong, I love KJ, just sharing what I see.

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I think you know from my posts in a lot of threads about various players that other fans consider undersized that I agree with that first part. As for being injury prone, that likewise isn't based on a pitch count. If an injury can happen at any time, then it can happen when a guy touches it 5 times or when he touches it 30. 

Fun fact: Cadillac  Williams broke his collarbone as a freshman, broke his leg as a sophomore and then broke his ankle as a junior.

Honest question: what about his running style makes him a 20 carry a game at most RB?

He runs strait up. Cadillac stayed healthy his senior year when he was sharing the load with ronnie brown. I am not saying Cadillac wasn't an every down back but he couldn't carry the load like Mason did in 2013 imo. 

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He wasn't criticized for his QB getting hurt. He was criticized for not having a viable backup. 

He isn't criticized for scoring 41 points. He's criticized for not using an opportunity to fine tune a new offense with a new OC, new QB and 2 new tackles. (Not to mention a bunch of young WRs who don't have much experience, you know, *receiving* at all.)

All coaches get criticized for who they choose to start "and on and on" when their final records fall far short of expectations and they lose all their most important games in consecutive years. Come on, man. 

Gus owns a lot of losses the last couple years and no significant wins. He has failed repeatedly at a job that he gets paid the big bucks for (your words). His successes in between don't forgive that. That's not how multi-million dollar salaries work. He got paid the big bucks to try to make John Franklin a quarterback and to trot out that objectively asinine game plan against Clemson last year. You don't think the fans have a right to call his decision making into question after that?

If the same people criticizing him continue to do so if and when this team strings together a few quality wins against quality opponents, then you can claim personal dislike all you want. Until then, it's much more rational *in my mind*  to believe that we all want Auburn to succeed and we just don't like it when the guy in charge of making that happen fails.

We'll see if they already got the fine tuning of the offense done in the offseason this Saturday. We'll see if we actually have an offense that Justin Fields or any other top tier QB who wants to toss the ball around a little bit would want to play in. If it looks good, people will rightly start praising Gus for hiring the right guy and letting him do his job. If it doesn't, then people will rightly criticize him even more, because he will have failed again. In neither case will their assessment be based on how much they like or dislike him. 

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

If those drops don't happen then Stidham's stat line is a nice 17-24 for over 250 yards & 3 TDs.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a wonderful Christmas.  Or, if you prefer; if a frog had wings he wouldn't bust his butt every time he jumped.  Drops happen and they are factored in in EVERY QB's stat line and rating EVERY game.

If it looks good, people will rightly start praising Gus for hiring the right guy and letting him do his job. If it doesn't, then people will rightly criticize him even more, because he will have failed again.

Gus reminds me somewhat of Jerry Jones. Jerry in the past has appeared that he would rather be the man and lose games vs. allow someone else to run the show and get the credit and be a champion (i.e. why he fired Jimmy and has tried to be the football guy for the Cowboys in the past).  Now, it appears that he's allowed his son and others in the organization to have more say in drafts and coaching, etc. and it may be paying dividends with improved football success on the field.  Can Gus do that with the offense?  We'll see Saturday and the rest of the year.

Sooo. This Justin Fields cat is pretty good. It would be nice to get him and I'm sure members would like to read and discuss him.

Justin vs. Joey - the showdown of the committed vs. the shopper....

Who has had the best start to their season?

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Sooo. This Justin Fields cat is pretty good. It would be nice to get him and I'm sure members would like to read and discuss him.

Apparently, if we run Gus's old offense, rush for 650 yards, don't throw a pass and beat Clemson 42-0 folks here will be dejected because Fields won't like the way we went about winning the game. :)

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Apparently, if we run Gus's old offense, rush for 650 yards, don't throw a pass and beat Clemson 42-0 folks here will be dejected because Fields won't like the way we went about winning the game. :)

So is Stidham Cam or Nick in your scenario?  Cause then, I could see it.  And like it.  But, it ain't 2010 or 2013.  What's the record for team rushing yardage in a D1 college game anyway?

If Joey Ballgame isn't on board with us getting JF that does change things. 

JF is the real deal and any school would be crazy to turn him away.  On the other hand, we have a crazy athletic kid with as much potential as any QB we've ever had, on par with Cameron J Newton who has been committed to us for 2 years and has never wavered. He has also shown us work ethic, supporting his team even in difficult circumstances, and other strong intangibles.  I'm really tempted to prefer Joey Ballgame in this situation.  

8 hours ago, Beaker said:

Who has had the best start to their season?

Can't find Justin's season stats but both have played great so far.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Can't find Justin's season stats but both have played great so far.

Summing up between maxpreps and what 247 had for the 2 games

Justin:

Passing: 28-44 for 313 yards & 3 TDs
Rushing: 39 attempts for 291 yards & 5 TDs

Joey : (Note these numbers do not include yards or attempts for Joey because I could not find them, but the TDs for season are included)

Passing: 10-13 for 184 yards & 2 TDs
Rushing: 18 for 123 yards & 3 TDs

As much as I like the hype surrounding Fields, and as much as I'd love to see him in orange and blue...I've been getting the feeling that Gatewood is actually the more desirable recruit for us. His loyalty cannot be understated, and his athleticism does call to mind images of our most previous Heisman winner. I'm not sure I would want Fields if it means Gatewood goes somewhere else.

8 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

Justin:

Joey : (Note these numbers do not include yards or attempts for Joey because I could not find them, but the TDs for season are included)

First of all, thank you for posting these numbers @lkeel75

Second, it looks like both of these guys are legit DTQB studs!

Now humor me for a moment if you will, since Joey Ballgame is alternating series with the other QB he has seen about half the action that JF has in the same period of time. Now there is certainly no guarantee his stats would double in double the snaps, but it's also possible they could more than double. 

So, if we double Joey's stats we get 20-26 passing for 368 and 4 TDs. The yards and TDs are slightly better than JF, but the comp. % (which is the same whether we double or not) is quite a bit better!!! He's rockin 77% while JF is at a still pretty solid 63.5% mark  

Also interesting, their rushing numbers would also be similar, with JF edging JG out with 7.5 YPC to Joey's 6.8 YPC. 

My point is, the knock on Joey has been his rawness as a passer. 77% against 2 solid opponents is pretty stinking good.  So his work ethic is showing!  Add that to his size and athletic ability.  He is as good of a prospect as one can hope for. 

Edit:  My bad, I thought I was in the Joey thread. JF is every bit as legit as Joey and deserves to be the star of his own thread. 

10 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

Justin:

I beleive those are stats after just one game. 

18 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Justin Fields is a great player, but somehow I doubt he accounted for 8 touchdowns in a single game...

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Justin Fields is a great player, but somehow I doubt he accounted for 8 touchdowns in a single game...

True,. But Joey has more than TD passes..  Right?  He just had two in his last game,. And I know he had one in game 1.  Or am I losing it?

5 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

True,. But Joey has more than TD passes..  Right?  He just had two in his last game,. And I know he had one in game 1.  Or am I losing it?

Not sure if the numbers for Joey are accurate or not, but I doubt he has 5 touchdowns in one game while splitting time with another QB, either.

5 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Not sure if the numbers for Joey are accurate or not, but I doubt he has 5 touchdowns in one game while splitting time with another QB, either.

Yep.   I must be getting tired.  Lol.  I think Bartram Trail played again tonight... So now who really knows... Lol. 

14 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

13 hours ago, Rednilla said:

As I said in my post.  JF numbers are accurate to the best I can calculate between 247 & maxprep for both games he had played.  I could not get JG stats for yards or attempts for game #2 but I did find the touchdowns in another article.  So JF numbers were through 2 games and accurate.  JG numbers were through 2 games for TDs but not yards.

7 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

As I said in my post.  JF numbers are accurate to the best I can calculate between 247 & maxprep for both games he had played.  I could not get JG stats for yards or attempts for game #2 but I did find the touchdowns in another article.  So JF numbers were through 2 games and accurate.  JG numbers were through 2 games for TDs but not yards.

I wasn't sure exactly what you were saying about that.

11 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I wasn't sure exactly what you were saying about that.

yeah, without signing up for some newspaper, I couldn't get the box scores for JG and his 2nd game.  The only thing I could find about JG was his TDs in game #2.  MaxPreps seems to be a week behind as all they have is Game #1 for both kids.  However JF was listed in another article I found on 247 and it had all his stats for game 2.

Sorry should have been more clear in original post

1 hour ago, lkeel75 said:

yeah, without signing up for some newspaper, I couldn't get the box scores for JG and his 2nd game.  The only thing I could find about JG was his TDs in game #2.  MaxPreps seems to be a week behind as all they have is Game #1 for both kids.  However JF was listed in another article I found on 247 and it had all his stats for game 2.

Sorry should have been more clear in original post

For real yo!   Kidding. 

On 9/7/2017 at 1:04 PM, Rednilla said:

As much as I like the hype surrounding Fields, and as much as I'd love to see him in orange and blue...I've been getting the feeling that Gatewood is actually the more desirable recruit for us. His loyalty cannot be understated, and his athleticism does call to mind images of our most previous Heisman winner. I'm not sure I would want Fields if it means Gatewood goes somewhere else.

Thank you ! I know we don't agree on much but I am pretty sold on JG. I think he should be the headliner for QB in this class and we will have Bo for the next class. Let JF enjoy his recruiting visits. Let's continue to solidify the relationship we have with our QB who has also been recruiting for us .

Archived