2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

1 hour ago, roe4christ said:

I think it helps rather than hurts, but not substatially.  If Stidham stays healthy and plays most of the snaps throughout the season, it will mean that Willis might get mop up duty only and therefore not allowing him to show much.  If it is mop up only, it may be decided to use Adams and save Willis's redshirt. If that is the case, it will be a even competition between Willis and Fields for back up QB for next season right off the bat.  Don't forget Gatewood also.  With QB depth dwindling, any thought of using him at any other position could be out the window now (my preference anyway). If however, Stidham misses any action due to injury, Willis could come in and have a good showing, solidifying his position as # 2.  It will be a completion of course and Fields or Gatewood could beat him outright during practice/camp.  All that to say, its one less guy vying for time.  Just my two cents, which is worth much.

"Not" should have been added at the end. "which is not worth much." :-\

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kid has visited UGA a bunch lately. With FL, FL ST, LSU and AU looking mediocre and UGA playing decent, I would guess they may be in the lead. Things could change with UGA this weekend with their game against MSU. I am pulling for MSU to win. Sounds crazy, but imagine Fields at MSU with Mullen as his coach. Scary.

15 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Kid has visited UGA a bunch lately. With FL, FL ST, LSU and AU looking mediocre and UGA playing decent, I would guess they may be in the lead. Things could change with UGA this weekend with their game against MSU. I am pulling for MSU to win. Sounds crazy, but imagine Fields at MSU with Mullen as his coach. Scary.

I'm pulling for UGA to win because MSU is in our division.

As for Fields, UGA will always recruit far better than MSU will. I'd rather have him on a team that is less talented than ours than one that is more talented. 

I think regardless of what happens with Fields, we will be fine.  Would I love to get him, absolutely, but we have Gatewood coming in next season and likely Bo Nix the following year.  If Stidham returns (and he should), we would have Stidham # 1, Willis # 2, and Gatewood # 3 (if needed but likely redshirt) next season.  2019 would then look like this:  Willis/Gatewood # 1 or # 2 and Bo Nix # 3 (if needed but likely redshirt).  You have always got Devan Adams in your back pocket in case of emergency as well.

4 hours ago, roe4christ said:

I think regardless of what happens with Fields, we will be fine.  Would I love to get him, absolutely, but we have Gatewood coming in next season and likely Bo Nix the following year.  If Stidham returns (and he should), we would have Stidham # 1, Willis # 2, and Gatewood # 3 (if needed but likely redshirt) next season.  2019 would then look like this:  Willis/Gatewood # 1 or # 2 and Bo Nix # 3 (if needed but likely redshirt).  You have always got Devan Adams in your back pocket in case of emergency as well.

I concur wholeheartedly.   Not sure I want Adams as my contingency, but it what it is.  Hopefully nobody gets any forearm cramps and can't throw a 10 yard pass.  Did he really say that?  I still can't believe it.

20 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm pulling for UGA to win because MSU is in our division.

As for Fields, UGA will always recruit far better than MSU will. I'd rather have him on a team that is less talented than ours than one that is more talented. 

Living in the Atlanta area for years has me hating UGA far more than MSU. MSU is certainly in the West, but UGA is a much bigger rival. JMO.

1 minute ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Living in the Atlanta area for years has me hating UGA far more than MSU. MSU is certainly in the West, but UGA is a much bigger rival. JMO.

I also live in Atlanta and DESPISE those people. HATE them. But what's best for the team is what I want to happen. And getting to Atlanta is priority #1. When other SECW teams lose conference games, that increases our chances of that happening. 

A few years ago when we needed bama to beat LSU in order for us to go to Atlanta, I pulled hard for LSU to lose. bama failed. I hated them even more after that, but I'll do the exact same thing when the same situation arises.

I just don't subscribe to putting my own hate (insecurities?) above what's best for the team I say I support. 

(Whether or not *we* beat UGA is the only thing that's important, anyway.)

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I also live in Atlanta and DESPISE those people. HATE them. But what's best for the team is what I want to happen. And getting to Atlanta is priority #1. When other SECW teams lose conference games, that increases our chances of that happening. 

A few years ago when we needed bama to beat LSU in order for us to go to Atlanta, I pulled hard for LSU to lose. bama failed. I hated them even more after that, but I'll do the exact same thing when the same situation arises.

I just don't subscribe to putting my own hate (insecurities?) above what's best for the team I say I support. 

(Whether or not *we* beat UGA is the only thing that's important, anyway.)

You can say all that and it is fine but it is hard to change my actual feelings which are I hate UGA more than MSU and want to beat them more and worse and on  and on.

I also think he is leaning towards Ga but I do not think we are out of it. Ga has had the better home games so far. If he does not come to the AU-Ms St game then things will look very bleak to me however. He has visited Ga several times since he has come to Auburn. We are kidding ourselves if we do not think Ga leads but still think we have a shot.

Just now, War to the Eagle said:

Much to the chagrin of many of us, Georgia seems gonna be an awfully good thing going. They look awfully good as a team, and Fromm looks great. Boo.

fromm is only 1 year ahead of fields. therein lies the problem with georgia. Eason is not getting his job back at this point.

How did georgia get the momentum? How did we screw this recruitment up? Kid "grew up" a Auburn fan and Cam is his 7 on 7 coach. I MEAN COME ON!!! Who wants to go play QB for the "immortal" Jim Chaney??  whatever. WAR DAMN JOEY GATEWOOD. 

Cannot believe the number 1 player in the country is clamoring to play for this guy! hahaha #ANYONEbutgeorgia

f.jpg

9 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

It looks like in the end, Fields will most likely sign with Georgia. Another season of Gus not knowing how to get one of the best 5-star QB's.

9 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

It looks like in the end, Fields will most likely sign with Georgia. Another season of Gus not knowing how to get one of the best 5-star QB's.

I would think our chances have improved. Why would he go to Ga and sit for 3 years?

6 hours ago, Samau said:

I would think our chances have improved. Why would he go to Ga and sit for 3 years?

Because his sister is at UGA, his mom wants him to go to UGA and 5* players never think they will sit. They have started since pee-wee league and expect to continue to start without giving any thought to the competition.

12 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

Much to the chagrin of many of us, Georgia seems to have an awfully good thing going. They look awfully good as a team, and Fromm looks great. Boo.

Chaney does a much better job than Gus of adjusting his offense to a QB's strengths. Gus told Fields to watch the offense at AU to begin the season and we looked like the Bad News Bears. Meanwhile, UGA has went on the road to beat Notre Dame in dramatic fashion and stomped an undefeated Miss St team with a dominant performance.

It would be such a shame to see a talent like him wasted at UGA. 1st they have a true freshman starting so I'm guessing Kirby is telling him he will start next year over a qb that is 4 0. 

3 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

It would be such a shame to see a talent like him wasted at UGA. 1st they have a true freshman starting so I'm guessing Kirby is telling him he will start next year over a qb that is 4 0. 

That is his message. When reporters ask Kirby what happens when Eason comes back, he says each practice is a competition and the best guy will start. It's easy for Fields to eat that up. Its not smart but I understand why kids would still go.

We have got to open it up on offense with the pass game. If that is our gameplan the whole year, it's not helping us with Fields. 

Archived