2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the topic, to those that have more knowledge than me: How did everyone go from "It is neck and neck with us, UGA, and Florida State but I like our chances," to "Georgia has the clear lead" after two performances through the air like we did?  I ask that genuinely too, not being critical but more informational for myself.  It seems like we have shown we want to air it out and have done so.  We have shown we have the receiver depth Fields would want, and the lack of QB depth Fields would want.  Gus has also proven this year we are not afraid of playing true freshmen as it is easier to name those who are redshirting rather than playing.  Thank you in advance.

Also, is this thread a record for the most posts on this forum?  :ucrazy:

52 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

To the topic, to those that have more knowledge than me: How did everyone go from "It is neck and neck with us, UGA, and Florida State but I like our chances," to "Georgia has the clear lead" after two performances through the air like we did?  I ask that genuinely too, not being critical but more informational for myself.  It seems like we have shown we want to air it out and have done so.  

Not sure we've really "aired it out". 21 pass attempts for 219 yards against an invisible defense at Mizzou... I mean... yeah, that's airing it out by Gus Malzahn standards I guess? 

We still don't have much creativity in the passing game. We still haven't shown any semblance of an intermediate passing game. We're still not throwing in the red zone. This is still not an offense that most quarterbacks would want to play in. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Not sure we've really "aired it out". 21 pass attempts for 219 yards against an invisible defense at Mizzou... I mean... yeah, that's airing it out by Gus Malzahn standards I guess? 

We still don't have much creativity in the passing game. We still haven't shown any semblance of an intermediate passing game. We're still not throwing in the red zone. This is still not an offense that most quarterbacks would want to play in. 

Unfortunately I have to agree with you.  We have thrown more passes, true.  But we still only have 2 routes (deep & screen).  We have got to start throwing mid-range routes and having WRs go after the ball in the middle of the field.

With that being said, is the O designed this way to minimize interceptions or is it just that basic by default?

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Mercer was a step in the right direction as far as the passing game goes. That was the chip offense. It had all the things we have been clamoring for which is more diversity in the routes run. A lot of intermediate stuff. The mizzou game looked very heavily like a malzahn offense and that is not the offense that is going to help us attract top level Wideouts and Qbs. Honestly anytime chandler cox is in the game and not a extra Tight End that is the gus offense. Chips offense uses tight ends not a fullback.

31 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Mercer was a step in the right direction as far as the passing game goes. That was the chip offense. It had all the things we have been clamoring for which is more diversity in the routes run. A lot of intermediate stuff. The mizzou game looked very heavily like a malzahn offense and that is not the offense that is going to help us attract top level Wideouts and Qbs. Honestly anytime chandler cox is in the game and not a extra Tight End that is the gus offense. Chips offense uses tight ends not a fullback.

Yep, but I think you mean Gus philosophy or strategy. I think it has something to do with flow and how the run game is working. If we are running it well and scoring in the run game, Gus is perfectly content to rush for 400 yards or more. Obviously against Mercer we couldn't move the ball really well by run only and got caught throwing more than he would typically, again instead of switching RB or to a quicker pass game, he doesn't like to make adjustments. Maybe he's been burned by some adjustments in the past and is hesitant some times.

Additionally, I don't understand the philosophy  of not opening up the pass game against weaker opponents so that when you are in a tough game you aren't doing things you normally wouldn't do or only passing on third and long.  

6 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Yep, but I think mean Gus philosophy or strategy. I think it has something to do with flow and how the run game is working. If we are running it well and scoring in the run game, Gus is perfectly content to rush for 400 yards or more. Obviously against Mercer we couldn't move the ball really well and got caught throwing more than he would typically, again instead of switching RB or to a quick pass game, he doesn't like to make adjustments. I don't understand the philosophy  of not opening up the pass game against weaker opponents so that when you are in a tough game you aren't doing things you normally wouldn't do or only passing on third and long.  

Gus has it backwards. Against the sec opponents is when we should open up the passing game. Not frickin mercer. He did the same thing last year. He opened up the passing game vs arky st with sean white and everyone talked how we turned a corner. In the games that actually mattered it was back to RUN, RUN and RUN. Opening up the passing game is the ONLY way you beat the elite defenses [Bama, lsu and Georgia) these days. That is how ole miss beat bama 2 times in a row and should of beat them 3 times in a row. You are not going to be able to gash these teams for 500 yards like we did vs Arky. We have the QB now who can beat teams with his Arm but NOT if it is the gus offense like vs clemson and our WRs are running slow developing deep routes. That was a disaster vs clemson D line.

Color me confused:   did we have plenty of intermediate routes or not?  I have read on this thread both answers.   I can't see enough on my tv to see the routes I guess, or maybe I am not looking in the right places.  

Are we indeed blending both the Gus O with the Lindsey O?  

Regardless of the answers, I have the following concern:  What are we going to do when we come out and get stymied in the first half of some game?   I hope we have learned how to make halftime adjustments.  Not sure the Gus O has many options.  Nothing drives me more insane when I see the same problems or stuffed plays in the second half after we get stuffed in the 1st half.   

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Gus has it backwards. Against the sec opponents is when we should open up the passing game. Not frickin mercer. He did the same thing last year. He opened up the passing game vs arky st with sean white and everyone talked how we turned a corner. In the games that actually mattered it was back to RUN, RUN and RUN. Opening up the passing game is the ONLY way you beat the elite defenses [Bama, lsu and Georgia) these days. That is how ole miss beat bama 2 times in a row and should of beat them 3 times in a row. You are not going to be able to gash these teams for 500 yards like we did vs Arky. We have the QB now who can beat teams with his Arm but NOT if it is the gus offense like vs clemson and our WRs are running slow developing deep routes. That was a disaster vs clemson D line.

if he does this again this year, he will be gone.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yeah, I forgot about that one. I think Coach mentioned in another thread that he thinks that Gus beats into quarterbacks about not turning the ball over and maybe that applies to his strategy in big games as well.

He's afraid his quarterbacks will turn the ball over and gets conservative. I think it was definitely that way with JJ. We saw him do it in the first game. That bama game in 2014 was an anomaly but they were daring us to put it up and selling out on the run. I just wish we worked on it more so we don't have to be in those positions. You saw how aggressive Uga was and came out firing to get the momentum. Hopefully Gus will trust Stidham more as the season goes on. 

5 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Yeah, I forgot about that one. I think Coach mentioned in another thread that he thinks that Gus beats into quarterbacks about not turning the ball over and maybe that applies to his strategy in big games as well.

He's afraid his quarterbacks will turn the ball over and gets conservative. I think it was definitely that way with JJ. We saw him do it in the first game. That bama game in 2014 was an anomaly but they were daring us to put it up and selling out on the run. I just wish we worked on it more so we don't have to be in those positions. You saw how aggressive Uga was and came out firing to get the momentum. Hopefully Gus will trust Stidham more as the season goes on. 

It is year 5. This is who Gus is. He does not change. IDK why people keep thinking he will. I guess it is because we are all huge Auburn fans and want him to but there is way too much proof that says otherwise.

15 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Color me confused:   did we have plenty of intermediate routes or not?  I have read on this thread both answers.   I can't see enough on my tv to see the routes I guess, or maybe I am not looking in the right places.  

Are we indeed blending both the Gus O with the Lindsey O?  

Regardless of the answers, I have the following concern:  What are we going to do when we come out and get stymied in the first half of some game?   I hope we have learned how to make halftime adjustments.  Not sure the Gus O has many options.  Nothing drives me more insane when I see the same problems or stuffed plays in the second half after we get stuffed in the 1st half.   

I think we did, I just wish we would have had that game the first game. And yes I think in that game was the first time we blended their offenses. I just think its clear what Gus's strategy is. If we were gashing Mercer with the run, I don't think we would have put the ball in the air. In my humble opinion  and observation

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

It is year 5. This is who Gus is. He does not change. IDK why people keep thinking he will. I guess it is because we are all huge Auburn fans and want him to but there is way too much proof that says otherwise.

Yeah. I feel ya. I don't think he's the guy for us, it's pretty clear to me. I do want us to win though. I think Auburn fans can overlook certain things if they weren't so glaringly bad, and quit almost winning as a moral victory. It's old. We've lost a lot of games where we should have won in my opinion.

I don't think telling JF that we're going to air it out and then showing him that at Clemson does us any favors. To your point , if JS had put up Mercer numbers against Clemson, we would be in better shape with JF and well...we probably would have won.

24 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Yeah. I feel ya. I don't think he's the guy for us, it's pretty clear to me. I do want us to win though. I think Auburn fans can overlook certain things if they weren't so glaringly bad, and quit almost winning as a moral victory. It's old. We've lost a lot of games where we should have won in my opinion.

I don't think telling JF that we're going to air it out and then showing him that at Clemson does us any favors. To your point , if JS had put up Mercer numbers against Clemson, we would be in better shape with JF and well...we probably would have won.

Exactly. We will look back on these last few seasons and realize we should of strung together a lot of 10 win seasons with the way we have recruited and the talent we have.

Coachspeak and backtracking on what you said you were going to look like won't go far with JF.  The kid is smart and seems to have his head on straight.  

If we go back to this conservative, play not lose (Tubby style almost) and just try to hammer you with Pettway during tough games, not only will Gus lose recruits, he will lose my attention also.  I like to flyfish and will do that instead.

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Coachspeak and backtracking on what you said you were going to look like won't go far with JF.  The kid is smart and seems to have his head on straight.  

If we go back to this conservative, play not lose (Tubby style almost) and just try to hammer you with Pettway during tough games, not only will Gus lose recruits, he will lose my attention also.  I like to flyfish and will do that instead.

I hate knitting.  but I might do that instead. 

just once I would like to see us make a half time adjustment that works.

we may have i just don't remember it.

we're I.  JF.. right now I would be confused. Georgia looks like the best choice, except there is 2 five stars ahead of him, both of who have started and won.

Regarding JF, UGAs offense has been far from exciting. I do believe that we are on the verge of this O coming together. Recent personnel changes on the O line have been positive, the receivers are starting to get open, the deep ball is happening, and JS is showing just enough with his legs to keep a defense honest. The last piece is getting KP and KJ healthy and in the lineup together. If that happens, we are in great shape. WDE!?

13 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Regarding JF, UGAs offense has been far from exciting. I do believe that we are on the verge of this O coming together. Recent personnel changes on the O line have been positive, the receivers are starting to get open, the deep ball is happening, and JS is showing just enough with his legs to keep a defense honest. The last piece is getting KP and KJ healthy and in the lineup together. If that happens, we are in great shape. WDE!?

I think the kid is just "feeling" Georgia. He is a georgia kid and even though he did not grow up a georgia fan bowl cut is pushing all the right buttons with him. And pushing the home state thing. I absolutely HATE going against kirby for any kid. He is a great recruiter and a even better negative recruiter. I despise him more than saban.

15 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think the kid is just "feeling" Georgia. He is a georgia kid and even though he did not grow up a georgia fan bowl cut is pushing all the right buttons with him. And pushing the home state thing. I absolutely HATE going against kirby for any kid. He is a great recruiter and a even better negative recruiter. I despise him more than saban.

Pushing is the key word. Kirby knows at for a recruit of this magnitude, you have to push. I wish our guys were more aggressive at times. I still like Gatewood a lot though. 

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That’s a little over the top. :poke:

The greasy bowl cut look is what does it lol

10 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Pushing is the key word. Kirby knows at for a recruit of this magnitude, you have to push. I wish our guys were more aggressive at times. I still like Gatewood a lot though. 

Gus is just too nice for that it seems. I think I read on here he does not even like to negative recruit when it would benefit us. I agree though. SHOW THE KILLER INSTINCT!

7 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

we may have i just don't remember it.

I seem to remember being impressed by halftime adjustments made against West Virginia in 09, but that's the only game that has really stood out to me for that reason.

On 9/25/2017 at 8:50 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Gus is just too nice for that it seems. I think I read on here he does not even like to negative recruit when it would benefit us. I agree though. SHOW THE KILLER INSTINCT!

The comfort of just bending over and letting our rivals nega-recruit us while we don't return the favor is just absurd. It may not be classy but it's how things operate in the SEC. 

Shoot, at the very least I hope our staff shows data regarding other teams that paint them in an unfavorable light like FSU was doing to Fields. I think they had tweeted at him a stat of number of, like, 300 yard pass games (I'm guessing here, but it was something similar -- might have been X number of yards thrown in a season) and they went and listed and named UGA and AU in their graphic and showed the stat (of course FSU's stats were way more impressive than ours). If we aren't going to come out and flatly nega-recruit in response, at the very least I hope we do something like this. It's not that we are hurting in recruiting with all of our top 10 recruiting classes, but when all of our rivals are also in that top 10 ahead of us, just imagine if we got in the dirt and played the same game our rivals are playing.

Archived