2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We get Nix if we want him. 

My nostalgia really, really hopes AU wants him. 

On 6/7/2017 at 3:46 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

(I really liked Ben. 1 out of 5 ain't bad. Amirite!)

Gabe Gross was a great outfielder...

7 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We get Nix if we want him. 

That's a bold statement, considering it will be well over a year before he can sign. I hope you're right. If we land Fields and Nix, we will be in that rarified air where our second best QB leaves to be the best QB on another top Power 5 team.

49 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

That's a bold statement, considering it will be well over a year before he can sign. I hope you're right. If we land Fields and Nix, we will be in that rarified air where our second best QB leaves to be the best QB on another top Power 5 team.

Even if Fields and Nix both come to Auburn, I don't think Bo would transfer should he lose the battle for top QB. Remember, his dad was a junior before he ever started.

7 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Not really that bold at all. Nix is going to need at least 2 years in the system before he is ready to play. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Not really that bold at all. Nix is going to need at least 2 years in the system before he is ready to play. 

Really?  Everything I'm reading about him says that he is already looking like the most game ready QB we've ever recruited. 

8 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Even if Fields and Nix both come to Auburn, I don't think Bo would transfer should he lose the battle for top QB. Remember, his dad was a junior before he ever started.

Yea, but from what we are hearing about him, he is FAR better than his dad, and needs to showcase his talents. QBs of that caliber don't wait around to play for 1 year anymore. They want 2, usually 3 years if they don't go early, to prove that they deserve the big bucks from the NFL. It's extremely hard to hold on to two, legit, 5* QBs who are only 1 year apart.

44 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Really?  Everything I'm reading about him says that he is already looking like the most game ready QB we've ever recruited. 

to back up @WarDamnEagleWDE most qb's need a couple years in a system.  That goes for the 5 stars as well.  It's the best way to keep consistency to have your first year starter at least a redshirt sophmore or junior.  

But I have heard Nix is about as game ready as you can be... once he gets around to being able to play in a game which is at a minimum 2 years.  He needs to add some muscle to his frame to be able to play early and definitely nothing wrong with doing different camps and working on your speed and agility with an outside professional.  Kids in middle school do it now.  

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea, but from what we are hearing about him, he is FAR better than his dad, and needs to showcase his talents. QBs of that caliber don't wait around to play for 1 year anymore. They want 2, usually 3 years if they don't go early, to prove that they deserve the big bucks from the NFL. It's extremely hard to hold on to two, legit, 5* QBs who are only 1 year apart.

My thought is that Fields might not redshirt, or go pro after his junior season (possibly both), while Nix redshirts and has two years of eligibility between the two. Honestly, however, this leaves me kinda torn. If I were to choose, I would take Nix because of his father (haven't watched enough film on either to have a definitive opinion on ability), but he's a year behind Fields, and as has been mentioned in one of these threads, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I suppose the good thing is that this decision will have nothing to do with my opinion, so I'll be waiting to see just like everyone else.

28 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

My thought is that Fields might not redshirt, or go pro after his junior season (possibly both), while Nix redshirts and has two years of eligibility between the two. Honestly, however, this leaves me kinda torn. If I were to choose, I would take Nix because of his father (haven't watched enough film on either to have a definitive opinion on ability), but he's a year behind Fields, and as has been mentioned in one of these threads, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I suppose the good thing is that this decision will have nothing to do with my opinion, so I'll be waiting to see just like everyone else.

With Sean a junior and Jarrett a sophomore, why do you see Fields not red shirting? I totally don't buy into the 1 and done thing for Stidham, playing in the toughest division of the toughest league in the NCAA, with a new O-Line. After all, he only has 3 games under his belt at this point.

I can definitely see Fields going pro early, if he translates his game to the college level, but that still eats three of Nix's potential years.

The way I see it, we could very well land both, but there's a good chance that, going into Nix's junior year, if he isn't starting, he bolts. There's an even better chance that, going into Fields junior year, if he is surpassed by Nix, Fields bolts.

It's a good problem for us to have, but it is something QBs will consider when picking us, if we start to get a steady stream of top QBs on the roster.  I'd LOVE to see us land a game changer every 2 years. I think landing one of that caliber every year will lead to transfers.

Fields just did an interview with Rivals. Not going to give anything away but he did mention AU as one of the contenders. Hope we get him!

Side note: I really think it will depend on how successful our passing game is this year under CL. It seems like Fields is really looking for team that will help develop his talents to get him ready for the next level. We need to show him that we can do this with Stidham this year. Such a crucial year for AU...

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

With Sean a junior and Jarrett a sophomore, why do you see Fields not red shirting? I totally don't buy into the 1 and done thing for Stidham, playing in the toughest division of the toughest league in the NCAA, with a new O-Line. After all, he only has 3 games under his belt at this point.

I can definitely see Fields going pro early, if he translates his game to the college level, but that still eats three of Nix's potential years.

The way I see it, we could very well land both, but there's a good chance that, going into Nix's junior year, if he isn't starting, he bolts. There's an even better chance that, going into Fields junior year, if he is surpassed by Nix, Fields bolts.

It's a good problem for us to have, but it is something QBs will consider when picking us, if we start to get a steady stream of top QBs on the roster.  I'd LOVE to see us land a game changer every 2 years. I think landing one of that caliber every year will lead to transfers.

Wishful thinking, I suppose. But as to Fields not redshirting, I think Malik Willis is the bigger reason Fields would redshirt, if he does. I don't think Stidham goes pro after just one season, either, but I don't think Sean as backup would keep a dual threat from getting playing time behind Stidham, just in case of injury and to prepare for the future.

11 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Wishful thinking, I suppose. But as to Fields not redshirting, I think Malik Willis is the bigger reason Fields would redshirt, if he does. I don't think Stidham goes pro after just one season, either, but I don't think Sean as backup would keep a dual threat from getting playing time behind Stidham, just in case of injury and to prepare for the future.

I get you... I just think Sean as a back-up is enough to avoid burning a red shirt. If you believe a couple of coaches on here, any QB will need 2 years to get ready to lead the team... you'd have to say it's best if one of those doesn't count against his eligibility.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I get you... I just think Sean as a back-up is enough to avoid burning a red shirt. If you believe a couple of coaches on here, any QB will need 2 years to get ready to lead the team... you'd have to say it's best if one of those doesn't count against his eligibility.

Fair enough. I'm just glad we have a high quality athlete already committed at QB in case we don't get Fields, and one of the most reliable insiders on the board saying another elite QB prospect a year younger is ours if we want him.

3 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Fair enough. I'm just glad we have a high quality athlete already committed at QB in case we don't get Fields, and one of the most reliable insiders on the board saying another elite QB prospect a year younger is ours if we want him.

Yea... new place to be for Auburn, huh?

3 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

We are getting so far ahead of ourselves it's not even funny.

It's June. I'm chomping at the bit for football discussion, and this is about the best we can come up with right now. Besides, I doubt if we'd be buying too heavily into an elite rising junior being a near lock if we want him if it weren't for the fact that he's the son of Patrick Nix.

On 6/7/2017 at 2:23 PM, augolf1716 said:

Yep right now its UF and Auburn with FSU and uga following long ways to go but Chip is doing a good job. Auburn is pushing hard

With due respect O Ancient one all 4 teams seem to legitimately be in it.

UF: Has the longest relationship with JF & the best depth chart.
AU: Has a good relationship with Chip, depth chart is favorable especially if Stidham is one & done, Cam Newton is a factor.
UGA: They have the family factor as momma & sister are All Dawg. Sister is committed to UGA for softball & momma wants them both at UGA if possible.
FSU: Has the best track record for developing QBs for the NFL of the contenders. JF told Rivals today he sees FSU as the best fit offensively. I was wrong in another thread. CDC can contact & recruit kids in job at FSU.

Florida is the perceived leader but I think in the end it will be between AU, UGA, & FSU. JMO.

On 6/7/2017 at 3:10 PM, lkeel75 said:

I am sure the answer to this is somewhere in the 7 pages, but is JF an early enrollee?

Yes.

On 6/8/2017 at 10:43 AM, lkeel75 said:

I thought it was said he was going to EE and that is why they were pushing so hard for his commitment before the season started.  Maybe I am just making all that up.

We are pushing hard for him because we and many other schools, see him as a franchise QB, regardless when he commits.

On 6/8/2017 at 1:08 PM, tinman said:

Do the AU coaches feel an early commitment is going to happen or will Justin wait to a later date since he just de-committed from PSU?

He's always planned to have it done before his Sr. season starts. Some say before the end of July, others by the end of August, but before the season is the commonality.

23 hours ago, AUatHeart said:

How much does a commitment really mean with this kid?  Not trying to be a jerk, just a serious question.

Quite a bit IMO. Only reason he committed to Penn St last December is because none of the quality Southern schools were looking at him then. Now he is literally Mr All American QB and has his pick of every girl at the dance. He will make his pick & be done with it barring a total collapse of that school at the end of the season.

15 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

It's truth and has been stated on here a number of times as well as other places by reputable sources.

6 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

He's not a ready made recruit as some of us see due to O & B glasses & our love for daddy Nix. He's a good recruit but needs quite a bit of developing.

Archived