2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

26 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Yep Jimmy was second in the nation rushing his junior year as a QB. Now he was not very good at throwing but we didn't need to throw often

Story of AU football honestly. There is a reason there have only been two 1k yard seasons by WR's in our history! lol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Yep Jimmy was second in the nation rushing his junior year as a QB. Now he was not very good at throwing but we didn't need to throw often

Sounds like he was Nick Marshall before Nick Marshall was Nick Marshall..

JF and MHill are friends aren't they? Maybe MH will choose the good guys this week and start recruiting JF for us!

12 minutes ago, toddc said:

JF and MHill are friends aren't they? Maybe MH will choose the good guys this week and start recruiting JF for us!

Maybe he has already

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Good lord. Go back and read the comment that I was responding to. Since we're including the entire history of Auburn football, be sure to tell that guy that neither Tommy Tuberville nor Pat Dye nor Shug Jordan "lived off dual threat QBs". Guys that played 20 years ago clearly have no relevance whatsoever to the conversation.  

Oh, by the way, Jimmy Sidle says "hi" right back, because that has a lot of bearing on a conversation about Gus Malzahn's tenure at Auburn. No really, it matters.

When that guy happens to be on staff at one of the other schools in contention for the player in question, it's still relevant. It's kinda hard for them to base recruiting on having better dual threat QBs when they employ a former dual threat Auburn QB.

The winds of change at Auburn are blowing.  I believe we may see that 1000 yd receiver this year.  Stidham throws the best deep ball I have seen thrown at Auburn.  Granted that was A day, but geez who else threw that well on A day or during a season?

If we land JF, then those odds go up.  And as you guys said, we have a lot talent in Auburn and  inbound...then wind is blowing in great things at Auburn.

25 minutes ago, Beaker said:

The winds of change at Auburn are blowing.  I believe we may see that 1000 yd receiver this year.  Stidham throws the best deep ball I have seen thrown at Auburn.  Granted that was A day, but geez who else threw that well on A day or during a season?

If we land JF, then those odds go up.  And as you guys said, we have a lot talent in Auburn and  inbound...then wind is blowing in great things at Auburn.

That may just be Golf's flatulence?

5 hours ago, Beaker said:

You didn't see the 2004 team?  Campbell was pretty danged good with the deep ball.  Incredible arm talent.  Just a little long in the windup.  If he had a shorter release and hooked up with a decent team in the NFL he would have gone down as a great QB.  Heck of a career even playing on bad teams.

18 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Yep, just googled Jimmy Sidle. I really ought to buy one of those books that chronicles the history of Auburn football. My recollection begins with Patrick Nix. Anyone else that I know about, everyone knows about - like Bo. 

Here's a great place to start, this book will NOT bore you, I promise.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ISE0X0M/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

The Bobby Hoppe Story: Redemption of a Hometown hero

9 hours ago, corchjay said:

You didn't see the 2004 team?  Campbell was pretty danged good with the deep ball.  Incredible arm talent.  Just a little long in the windup.  If he had a shorter release and hooked up with a decent team in the NFL he would have gone down as a great QB.  Heck of a career even playing on bad teams.

Saw nearly every game.  I agree Campbell was great, but I look at where Stidham placed those balls and how the ball stayed in a such a tight spiral throughout the pass, and I think Stidham's passes were better.  

As I said, Stidham's  body of work is just one A Day game....

As for Jason C, it is truly sad he had to endure such turmoil and turnover at the OC during his pro career.  I think he really would have been a good NFL QB instead of a journeyman.  Look at what he did with the stinking Raiders!  I like the Raiders, so I can say they stink.

( I knew comparisons to Jason were going to be levied against that post!  )  :ucrazy:

So there's his relationships with Matt Hill, Wooten family, Stid, QM, Chip, and Cam, our history with dual-threat qb's, and the results of a Stid led offense this year that factor into him coming now yet people still think he's a UGA lean...I feel good regardless ?

I think things are already leaning in our favor.  Things like this (his friends joining the fold) only strengthen our chances.  I like how all of our commits are always in his ear.  Could be the case with Georgia and FSU commits also, don't know.  I think after the Clemson game, he will make his decision known.  If we are humming on offense, I think he is ours.

8 hours ago, WFE12 said:

So there's his relationships with Matt Hill, Wooten family, Stid, QM, Chip, and Cam, our history with dual-threat qb's, and the results of a Stid led offense this year that factor into him coming now yet people still think he's a UGA lean...I feel good regardless ?

I agree but you still can't blame the kid for waiting to see our new O before committing. And he may want to see if this coaching staff is here after the season.

If they thought Hill was a factor in any way wouldn't uga have gone after him also?

I love that we got him and believe he has a chance to be a great AU WR.  It also can't hurt that he is apparently close with Fields.  But you have to think uga would have been after him more if they felt that was a factor for Fields.  I hope somebody can tell or show me otherwise.

Five-star QB Justin Fields gets season started with 6 total TDs in Harrison (Ga.) rout

The second quarter saw the Hoyas slow their pace a bit, though the defense remained stiff. Fields completed a third touchdown pass, this time to senior wide out Dawson Brown, as Harrison headed to halftime with a 28-0 lead, all generated by Fields.

Fields started the third quarter with a touchdown run, then finished with a third touchdown pass of the game to Peterson as Harrison’s lead ballooned to 42-7.

That was more than enough offense for the Hoyas, whose defense yielded a second touchdown but atoned by adding a safety for the only points of the fourth to cap the season-opening win.

Yes, this was the first game of the season to count, but it wasn’t Fields’ first big performance, either. His scrimmage appearance a week earlier was pretty impressive, too.

IMG_0666.JPG

Archived