2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

4 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

What's the difference between what our insiders are saying compared to what Georgia and Florida State's insiders are saying?

I feel like everyone just thinks they know something.

Just another typical Auburn recruitment at the national level. Whatever man. No one giving us a shot. Will make it that much sweeter when he comes home.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU Is Gold said:

What's the difference between what our insiders are saying compared to what Georgia and Florida State's insiders are saying?

I feel like everyone just thinks they know something.

Pretty much been laid out throughout the thread ad nausseum. Our connected people feel we lead & some of their sources come from actual FSU staff. UGA & FSU connecteds feel it's a 2 team race between those schools.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Pretty much been laid out throughout the thread ad nausseum. Our connected people feel we lead & some of their sources come from actual FSU staff. UGA & FSU connecteds feel it's a 2 team race between those schools.

Didn't know some of their sources came from FSU staff. Didn't think that was common knowledge.

Edit: Been following the Fields thread for last few months, maybe I missed that part.

My guess is Fields does not really know yet where he is going. But as 23 and eliltor have indicated he wants to see how our offense and probably Ga offense performs. That should give us a big advantage because Ga offense stinks.

9 minutes ago, Samau said:

My guess is Fields does not really know yet where he is going. But as 23 and eliltor have indicated he wants to see how our offense and probably Ga offense performs. That should give us a big advantage because Ga offense sticks.

Pretty much. Spot on with us. With UGA he's looking to see if they will use a more RPO style catered to his abilities.

7 hours ago, Samau said:

Just read an article implying he is down to two and we are not in it. While I do not believe we are out of it, I am starting to feel like we have slipped a bit. Hopefully I am wrong. 

can you send the link to the article 

1 hour ago, Jaxr29 said:

can you send the link to the article 

It's by Mike Farrell on Rivals & he's not worth reading to be honest. He's already said he really knows nothing.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's by Mike Farrell on Rivals & he's not worth reading to be honest. He's already said he really knows nothing.

lol, so true

3 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

Didn't know some of their sources came from FSU staff. Didn't think that was common knowledge.

Edit: Been following the Fields thread for last few months, maybe I missed that part.

I think E is confusing the Rant with this website. That issue has been discussed ad nauseoum on the Rant but I believe that is the first time it has been discussed here, 

UGA and RPO....Isn't their QB a pocket passer?  Or more of a pocket passer?  You know what I mean.  If JF is looking for a 'fit' from how the O plays the RPO season, I am thinking UGA is in a world of hurt.  Heck, doesn't MSU play the RPO much better than UGA?  

Maybe it's between us, FSU and MSU.....hahaha

2 hours ago, thaitopher said:

I think E is confusing the Rant with this website. That issue has been discussed ad nauseoum on the Rant but I believe that is the first time it has been discussed here, 

Haven't been over there much til lately. As for here I know I and 23 have posted that info at least a combined 5 times.

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

UGA and RPO....Isn't their QB a pocket passer?  Or more of a pocket passer?  You know what I mean.  If JF is looking for a 'fit' from how the O plays the RPO season, I am thinking UGA is in a world of hurt.  Heck, doesn't MSU play the RPO much better than UGA?  

Maybe it's between us, FSU and MSU.....hahaha

You can use RPO with a pocket passer. Jarrett won't have many designed runs for him in our RPO for example.

This whole, “wait and see if the offense does XYZ,” seems a little silly. Offense should be tailored to a player’s strengths. I’m sure CCL would use Fields differently than he will Stidham.

10 minutes ago, jared52 said:

This whole, “wait and see if the offense does XYZ,” seems a little silly. Offense should be tailored to a player’s strengths. I’m sure CCL would use Fields differently than he will Stidham.

I think it has more to do with demonstrating what sorts of offense the the team/coaches are capable of putting on the field. In our case, their is a knock on Gus that he can't make an offense function without a "running" QB. A Fields offense would probably get more designed runs than a Stidham offense, but I don't think that matters to much to JF. I think the what he wants to see out of us is that we can be successful throwing the ball more to assuage any fears that we'd try to turn him into Nick Marshall 2.0 were he to come here.

For Georgia, I'd imagine that he'd want to see a more competent offense than what they put on the field last year and, if possible, one that features the QB and RBs in a more balanced manner. 

FSU likely doesn't have very much to prove, which is why a lot of national guys see them as being a good fit and have predicted that's where he'll end up. The silver lining in that though is that if he knows all that he needs to know about them and still hasn't committed, then there is likely a reason for it. That gives credence to the "he's ours to lose" theories.

18 minutes ago, AuburnArch13 said:

I think it has more to do with demonstrating what sorts of offense the the team/coaches are capable of putting on the field. In our case, their is a knock on Gus that he can't make an offense function without a "running" QB. A Fields offense would probably get more designed runs than a Stidham offense, but I don't think that matters to much to JF. I think the what he wants to see out of us is that we can be successful throwing the ball more to assuage any fears that we'd try to turn him into Nick Marshall 2.0 were he to come here.

For Georgia, I'd imagine that he'd want to see a more competent offense than what they put on the field last year and, if possible, one that features the QB and RBs in a more balanced manner. 

FSU likely doesn't have very much to prove, which is why a lot of national guys see them as being a good fit and have predicted that's where he'll end up. The silver lining in that though is that if he knows all that he needs to know about them and still hasn't committed, then there is likely a reason for it. That gives credence to the "he's ours to lose" theories.

We need Francois to look very discombobulated against Bama. 

45 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Looking at 2017 Georgia O with Senior Nick Chubb (whom the AP just proclaimed better than returning 1st team all SEC Bubba - cough, cough - in their pre season All American schtick) would likely be radically different than 2018 & beyond with a potential phenom like Justin. It makes more sense that this Fall Fields wants to study 1st year OC Chip and still wet-behind-the-ears Kirby. 

55 minutes ago, jared52 said:

There is a lot of negative recruiting going on out there regarding Malzahn being gone after this season if Auburn doesn't win "X number of games". Were I Fields, I would wait to see if this year's AU team wins big and the coaching staff is stable. That's only reasonable.

Podcast Interview with Justin Fields' dad.

Kip Adams recently did an interview with Justin's dad, and he reiterated a lot of the same information that's been communicated here.  Some key points that I gleaned from it.:  Link

• Justin can run, but doesn't want to be a running QB.  He runs more at the high school level because that's what his team needs him to do for them to be successful, but that's not how QBs on the pro-level play.
  • Dad says Justin is really a student of the game.  While he has all the physical gifts to play at a high level, where he's going to have an edge is in the mental side of the game. 
  • Academics is an important component to the decision. How does the school rank nationally for the areas of study that Justin is interested in?  He's really interested in Auburn's Entrepreneurship program.
  • FSU's advantage - Jimbo Fisher is a proven developer of QBs.
  • UGA's advantage - Close to home.  Jim Chaney is a smart and experienced offensive coach.  Justin's sister will also be there as a softball player, so it's easier on the family.
  • AU's advantage - Good relationship with the coaches.  Cam Newton is Justin's idol.  Close to home.  Academic major that he likes.
  • May take some OVs this season, but not sure where.  Dad is leaving that up to Justin to decide where they would OV.  They are open to being 'WOWed' by somebody new, if that were to happen. 
  • It's really Justin's decision - an example he cited for this is that he (Justin's dad) really liked Tennessee, but Justin has eliminated them from consideration. 
  • It sounds as though, with exception of seeing the teams the field, they have gathered all the information on respective schools themselves and are just waiting to see how things play out and to pray about it before making a final decision.
  • Dad comes across as very smart and articulate.  He says his son is smart and I can believe it.

Kip believes UGA has come on strong lately and now holds a slight lead over AU and FSU.  I'm not sure what to take from that.  Kip is a UGA recruiting guy, but he seems to be pretty objective to me.

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

Well we have been a '3 yards and a cloud of dust' type of offense the last 3 years, running the ball almost 70 % last year? I am sure he wants to see if we can still incorporate the forward pass at times. I am sure he will be pleasantly surprised. As long as JS is healthy we are going to air it out a lot more this year. 

I think we need to keep in mind that he's already committed/decommitted once. I'm sure he will be very thoughtful before pulling the trigger for AU ?

16 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Kip Adams recently did an interview with Justin's dad, and he reiterated a lot of the same information that's been communicated here.  Some key points that I gleaned from it.: 

• Justin can run, but doesn't want to be a running QB.  He runs more at the high school level because that's what his team needs him to do for them to be successful, but that's not how QBs on the pro-level play.
  • Dad says Justin is really a student of the game.  While he has all the physical gifts to play at a high level, where he's going to have an edge is in the mental side of the game. 
  • Academics is an important component to the decision. How does the school rank nationally for the areas of study that Justin is interested in?  He's really interested in Auburn's Entrepreneurship program.
  • FSU's advantage - Jimbo Fisher is a proven developer of QBs.
  • UGA's advantage - Close to home.  Jim Chaney is a smart and experienced offensive coach.  Justin's sister will also be there as a softball player, so it's easier on the family.
  • AU's advantage - Good relationship with the coaches.  Cam Newton is Justin's idol.  Close to home.  Academic major that he likes.
  • May take some OVs this season, but not sure where.  Dad is leaving that up to Justin to decide where they would OV.  They are open to being 'WOWed' by somebody new, if that were to happen. 
  • It's really Justin's decision - an example he cited for this is that he (Justin's dad) really liked Tennessee, but Justin has eliminated them from consideration. 
  • It sounds as though, with exception of seeing the teams the field, they have gathered all the information on respective schools themselves and are just waiting to see how things play out and to pray about it before making a final decision.
  • Dad comes across as very smart and articulate.  He says his son is smart and I can believe it.

Kip believes UGA has come on strong lately and now holds a slight lead over AU and FSU.  I'm not sure what to take from that.  Kip is a UGA recruiting guy, but he seems to be pretty objective to me.

I hope Justin looks closely into the Jimbo-QB-DEVELOPER hype. IMHO from a percentage point of view he's historically a very average developer of QBs. Yeah I read the Orlando Sentinal's 2015 Jimbo worship article that read like local sports media love for new Bucs QB Winston (Jimbo's QB resume highlight) and an extrapolation of QBs "coached" to NFL draftees - whether they stuck or not. Whether he "developed" Dameyunne Craig, Jamarcus Russell, Matt Flynn & EJ Manuel is very debatable. He's also getting credit for guys he barely touched like Christian Ponder.

Here's the latest.  This should quiet anyone who says it's a 2 horse race with Auburn on the outside.  In fact, this matches what @austudnt23 has been saying pretty well. They love Auburn, but want to see for themselves that we are going to be passing the ball before making a decision.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Father-of-Justin-Fields-5-star-quarterback-gives-the-latest-106421786

Father of Justin Fields gives the latest
The father of 5-star QB Justin Fields opens up about his son's recruitment.

Keith Niebuhr - 2 hours ago 24
Five-star quarterback Justin Fields of Kennesaw (Ga.) Harrison, the No. 1 overall recruit in the 247Sports Composite, is not answering questions about his recruitment for the time being as he focuses on his season.

His father, however, shed some light on where things stand in an interview with Kipp Adams for Vsporto's SEC Recruiting Buzz with Keith and Kipp podcast.

One thing Ivant Fields discussed was the relationship he and his son have with former Auburn star Cam Newton, who was Justin's seven-on-seven coach.

"The entrepreneur major. The distance. It is short, you can get there pretty quick," Ivant Fields said. "It is a really easy drive. His idol, went there, Cam. It has some pros. Gus Malzahn is a great guy. I think Justin has a great relationship with (offensive coordinaor) Chip Lindsey. I think they are going to air it out a little more."

That passing game is key, according to Ivant Fields.

"Justin is not looking to go to a place and run a lot. He can use his legs, but you do not see a pro quarterback just tuck and run. Ultimately, he would like to fulfill his dream and become a pro football player and they do not do a lot of running. He needs to go somewhere where he is developed, reading defenses, coverages and protection and things of that nature. Who is going to develop him and get him ready for the next level?"

Auburn is a major factor in Justin Fields' recruitment. So, too, are FSU and Georgia.

At FSU, coach Jimbo Fisher's track record with quarterbacks, stands out.

"You cannot deny their development," Ivant said. "Coach Fisher is a quarterback guru. Three first round picks with the last three starting quarterbacks. That is a big pro with Florida State. They kind of jumped on him late, so he is still developing relationships there, but it is undeniable - they can develop a quarterback."

As for Georgia, the Bulldogs also have a few things going for them.

"Georgia is great," Ivant Fields said. "They are here. Of course, my wife would love for the kids to be together. My daughter is already committed there for softball. Having them at one school would be pretty easy on the family. That is not the ultimate decision maker, but it would be convenient."

The Fields' also are high on Georgia offensive coordinator Jim Chaney.

"Coach Chaney has a pretty good resume himself," Ivant said. "We have seen some of the guys he has coached, such as Drew Brees, and worked in the NFL, things of that nature."

As first reported by AuburnUndercover.com, Fields will attend the FSU-Alabama game on Sept. 2. When might a commitment come?

"I am pretty sure we are going to watch some football games," Ivant Fields said. "A decision could be made Sept. 3, He could, if everything lines up on Sept. 3. A decision could be made in February, after five official visits. That is ultimately up to Justin and when he says he is ready to pull the trigger."

48 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@triangletiger Please include article link even when summarizing an article.

Sorry, I didn't get it from an article.  It was on the SEC Recruiting Buzz podcast with Kip (Adams) and Keith (Niebuhr) on the War Eagle Sports Radio app.  It was just what I recalled from listening to it.  I'll see if I can find a link to put in there. 

Archived