2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

I agree with 23 that the O did look better today sans turnovers.  This has been our M.O. in prior years, not just this one.  We traditionally play poorly in day games and often against weaker opponents.  

I glimpsed Stidham putting it together today and starting to identify receivers he trusts (Hastings, Davis, NCM).  If he can put it all together by conference play, I think we could be a strong team still. 

One area that concerns me is injuries.  We are surprisingly banged up at this point in the season (James, J. Davis, Slayton, K.J., etc.).  If we're healthy I think we can still get it together.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

I agree with 23 that the O did look better today sans turnovers.  This has been our M.O. in prior years, not just this one.  We traditionally play poorly in day games and often against weaker opponents.  

I glimpsed Stidham putting it together today and starting to identify receivers he trusts (Hastings, Davis, NCM).  If he can put it all together by conference play, I think we could be a strong team still. 

One area that concerns me is injuries.  We are surprisingly banged up at this point in the season (James, J. Davis, Slayton, K.J., etc.).  If we're healthy I think we can still get it together.

This.  You hit the nail on the head.  Nobody in their right mind is happy about only winning by 14 to Mercer.  Chip called plays, we executed very well, and I see Stidham developing and getting better every game. 

2 hours ago, jared52 said:

He's not coming to AU. Time to move on.

We are definitely not out of this.  JF got to at least see the offense that we told him about today. HE can easily see that the turnovers cost us.

57 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I don't feel good about the score at all.  I feel good that we actually ran the offense I have been seeing at practice in spring and summer and we seemed to look pretty good against a very weak opponent.  JS is YOUNG 6th start sophomore might as well say freshman since he was hurt most of freshman year and sat out a year.  Pettway has planter... he looked about 80% today and I expect him to run all over Missouri.  I would say we did run up and down field on Mercer.  We had Kyle Davis ruin one scoring drive, ELi drop and fumble a first down. Kam Pettway fumble a td, Stephen Roberts fumble a punt reutn that we would have had on their side of field.  I think we had 3 or 4 possessions the 2nd half not counting the last on we downded the ball on.  That's not a lot and we had 500 plus yards. DO we expect to fumble 4 times every game.  This has to be fixed.  Like I said Gus needs at least nine wins then a bowl so 10 in all and beat either UGA or bammer.  I think he will be undefeated until Iron Bowl.  I guess we will see.

IMO this team must make tremendous improvements to hit 10 wins.  If played an SEC team today, we would have gotten our clock cleaned. 

2 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

I agree I just know that is the gameplan going in and I don't know why he didn't adjust.  It was a horrible move.  Do you not think our offense looked more in rhythm today.  We won who cares.  JS looked solid we got the RPO going and his int should have been a catch by NCM.  I promise alor of people going to be very surprised when we run off a streak to the Iron Bowl.  I am not saying you BIrd you know how uch talent is on this team.

We're talking Mercer god I should hope so. 23 I really don't want to dump on the game but it sucked. I mean we're talking Mercer from Macon. I do think we can turn it around but I just don't how it's going to happen with Gus

by the way I think we should just bomb the crap out of them

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

We're talking Mercer god I should hope so. 23 I really don't want to dump on the game but it sucked. I mean we're talking Mercer from Macon. I do think we can turn it around but I just don't how it's going to happen with Gus

Ah c'mon Golf, don't ya know we were more in rhythm today. ?

3 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Ah c'mon Golf, don't ya know we were more in rhythm today. ?

You want to know what I think about rhythm:hanged: I frickin to old for this crap. Time to get our crap together or s&&^% ourselves 

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

by the way I think we should just bomb the crap out of them

WE ran CHip's offense.  If you want to see a perfected version watch Ole Miss.  We executed that's what I am happy about.  We looked much better offensively throwing the football against Mercer than Georgia Southern.  ALso anyone want to know how good Clemson is check the score of Louisville game they are scoring and stopping the best player in the country. Louisville has gotten 2 late scores the score was 34 7.

4 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Are you asking if our offense looked more in rhythm against Mercer as opposed to Clemson? The answer is yes. And so would every other team in the country. And no one is doubting the talent on this team,  it's the other components. 

It looked more in synch than it did against Ga. Southern, which is more to the point. It's improving .

9 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

WE ran CHip's offense.  If you want to see a perfected version watch Ole Miss.  We executed that's what I am happy about.  We looked much better offensively throwing the football against Mercer than Georgia Southern.  ALso anyone want to know how good Clemson is check the score of Louisville game they are scoring and stopping the best player in the country. Louisville has gotten 2 late scores the score was 34 7.

There were a lot of yard through the air picked up when the WR had 5-6 seconds to get open. The OL cannot give JS that much time vs SEC DL. That’s what tempers my “excitement” for what we saw in the passing game today.

5 minutes ago, jared52 said:

There were a lot of yard through the air picked up when the WR had 5-6 seconds to get open. The OL cannot give JS that much time vs SEC DL. That’s what tempers my “excitement” for what we saw in the passing game today.

I don't know about 5 or 6 secs. We didn't look nearly that good through the air vs Georgia Southern and Mercer is better than them. I am telling you I fully expect as do others to have 1 loss which is Clemson heading into iron bowl. For those questioning how good Clemson is see last night.

The amount of melt in this thread is mind boggling. Sure, if our WRs continue to fumble the ball 5 times a game moving forward, we probably won't win many games. But I don't think anyone would bet on that. Stidham averaged just shy of 10 yards per attempt yesterday, on a bunch of attempts. He's still got places he needs to work on, sure. But it's not like the rest of the SEC west is setting the world on fire right now. We've got a little time to get the offense firing on all cylinders.  It doesn't look at least from the outside that any other JF contenders are pulling too far away in the meantime.

So any word about the JF visit to UGA or in regards to what he saw from us this weekend? 

47 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Just a bunch of Foggy crystal ball picks today...

What does that mean? Why would there be  a lot of "foggy" crystal ball picks on this particular day?

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

What does that mean? Why would there be  a lot of "foggy" crystal ball picks on this particular day?

It means prognosticators don't feel confident in picking a team at the moment.

17 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Will White's dismissal have any impact on Fields?

It shouldn't barring it opening up substantial playing time for Willis this year, and him setting the world on fire -both of which seem unlikely.

I think it helps rather than hurts, but not substatially.  If Stidham stays healthy and plays most of the snaps throughout the season, it will mean that Willis might get mop up duty only and therefore not allowing him to show much.  If it is mop up only, it may be decided to use Adams and save Willis's redshirt. If that is the case, it will be a even competition between Willis and Fields for back up QB for next season right off the bat.  Don't forget Gatewood also.  With QB depth dwindling, any thought of using him at any other position could be out the window now (my preference anyway). If however, Stidham misses any action due to injury, Willis could come in and have a good showing, solidifying his position as # 2.  It will be a completion of course and Fields or Gatewood could beat him outright during practice/camp.  All that to say, its one less guy vying for time.  Just my two cents, which is worth much.

Archived