Great job by Coach Myers

Devils advocate (yes I know he's a championship coach and taken auburn to unprecedented heights) - what he is getting complimented on, should he not also take the responsibility for?

the team chemistry has been off all season.  By all accounts the team was very positive in the fall but not now.  He owns the superb recruiting but it hasn't translated like it could.

arrests, coaches coming and going (quitting), controversy, apparent bad chemistry, substandard batting, players moving all over the field at the end of the season, only one championship caliber pitcher who has had more issues as the sec run has gone along, etc...

this team just hasn't been "right".  Seem to be below their potential.  Now one thing I'll give Myers is a compliment I gave after yesterday's games.  This team does a lot of little things that most teams don't, usually relating to high sports IQ.

It's a stretch to say that the head coach is at fault for off the field actions of other coaches and players.  A coach can only do so much.   Also, it is apparent that there is no real captain on this team where everyone falls into line.  It was high expectations to think this team is going to accomplish that of last year.   

AU isn't in the top 5 in RPI. I'm gonna hold off on criticizing Coach Myers (Devil's advocate or not) for this team not being "right". You cannot replace the three bats and gloves that AU lost and be this successful unless you are doing something, *ahem*, right. 

Pretty sure Coach hasn't been the face of the problems, but instead a rock through them. I weaker leader would crumble, but he continues to put AU in good places and the other team leaders have stepped up to fill voids. The FR are FR. They weren't world beaters coming in, but some have contributed mightily. 

They will be ready for the postseason. Will we get to the finals? Highly doubt it. But neither will their finals opponent. I'm very happy with where AU is and I know that there will be more feast years than famine as long as Coach Myers is here, and I would think a suitable replacement would be able to sustain that success with the facilities and reputation he has built for AU softball. 

Thought it was a pretty established fact that when anything positive happens the coach gets the credit....and when anything negative happens...it's JJ's fault...and the players never have to act like adults or be held accountable.

2 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

arrests, coaches coming and going (quitting), controversy, apparent bad chemistry, substandard batting, players moving all over the field at the end of the season, only one championship caliber pitcher who has had more issues as the sec run has gone along, etc...

Not in agreement completely here because he is their softball coach, not necessarily their life coach. As a parent cannot own everything their child does when they  reach a certain age, I don't think it's fair to expect a coach to own the player's screw-ups. 

2 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Devils advocate (yes I know he's a championship coach and taken auburn to unprecedented heights) - what he is getting complimented on, should he not also take the responsibility for? NO.  Not his fault

the team chemistry has been off all season.  By all accounts the team was very positive in the fall but not now.  He owns the superb recruiting but it hasn't translated like it could. A 42-8 record says otherwise.

arrests (Not his fault) , coaches coming and going (quitting) One left for the Major Leagues (then returned). There isn't a coach anywhere that wouldn't take that opportunity - not Clint Myers fault, controversy, Also not his fault. He has no control over what the players do when they on their own time. apparent bad chemistry, substandard batting, We didn't have great hitting at the bottom of the order last year and made it to the finals. We are 4th in the league in runs scored and are 42-8. players moving all over the field at the end of the season,  Suspension had a little to do with that (not his fault) and finding a lineup to produce (he can't swing the bat for them either) only one championship caliber pitcher who has had more issues as the sec run has gone along, etc... Carlson and Martin are both championship caliber pitchers.  Team ERA is down from where it was last year/  They both give us equal chances to win every game they pitch. Martin matched the Oklahoma pitcher pitch for pitch in the finals in game 3 last year.  They are both great pitchers.  2017 ERA 1/68  2016 ERA  2.19

this team just hasn't been "right".  Seem to be below their potential. 42-8 tells me different. Granted, several of those 8 games we should have won, but nobody wins every game.  Now one thing I'll give Myers is a compliment I gave after yesterday's games.  This team does a lot of little things that most teams don't, usually relating to high sports IQ.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Thought it was a pretty established fact that when anything positive happens the coach gets the credit....and when anything negative happens...it's JJ's fault...and the players never have to act like adults or be held accountable.

No, no no, Old Friend! When positive things happen and the team wins, it's because of great players. When bad things happen or the team loses, it's crappy coaching. Just ask any parent.  :) Been there, did that for more years than I care to admit.

12 hours ago, jared52 said:

AU isn't in the top 5 in RPI. I'm gonna hold off on criticizing Coach Myers (Devil's advocate or not) for this team not being "right". You cannot replace the three bats and gloves that AU lost and be this successful unless you are doing something, *ahem*, right. 

Pretty sure Coach hasn't been the face of the problems, but instead a rock through them. I weaker leader would crumble, but he continues to put AU in good places and the other team leaders have stepped up to fill voids. The FR are FR. They weren't world beaters coming in, but some have contributed mightily. 

They will be ready for the postseason. Will we get to the finals? Highly doubt it. But neither will their finals opponent. I'm very happy with where AU is and I know that there will be more feast years than famine as long as Coach Myers is here, and I would think a suitable replacement would be able to sustain that success with the facilities and reputation he has built for AU softball. 

Not sure you wrote what you were thinking there.  Auburn is #4 in the most recent ranking, with 4 more wins since then.  Last year, we had nine losses in regular season.  This year, we have 8 with 3 games to play.

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

No, no no, Old Friend! When positive things happen and the team wins, it's because of great players. When bad things happen or the team loses, it's crappy coaching. Just ask any parent.  :) Been there, did that for more years than I care to admit.

Think I understand....at least that is the way is usually was when my son was playing..:)

22 hours ago, WarTiger said:

the team chemistry has been off all season.  By all accounts the team was very positive in the fall but not now.  He owns the superb recruiting but it hasn't translated like it could. A 42-8 record says otherwise.

The record to me is not indicative of the struggles offensively they have shown. Even Coach Meyers has made more comments than last year about needing this team to step it up, and be more accountable. 

I think offensively we have not ably replaced Carosone and Rhodes with consistent hitting and power. I think they miss the transfer Snow to provide some of the extra punch too. Her unexpected illness hurt i think.

I think Martin has not pitched as well too this year. She has had good games, and then she has struggled more too. Although she has battled and given up runs...it's our offense i feel that has not overcome our inconsistencies.

The record is similar to last year..yes..but in the last 2 weeks we have played lower ranked teams. We also will not have played 2 of the top 4 teams currently ranked in our league.

Our team batting avg is next to last and our we are the third worst in strikeouts. I think it is simply a matter of timely hitting.

But to overcome the major distractions on and off the field, Meyers has shown again how he knows how to manage his team and make them as successful as they have shown. 

Of the 8 losses, 6 of the losses have been to team ranked 20 or higher (Coaches poll or USA softball poll - April 25th data).  The two non-top 25 losses were to Missouri and South Carolina.  Of the 6 losses to the ranked teams, we beat 2 of the teams 2 out 3 (LSU, Ole Miss), split with one team to go 1-1 (James Madison), went 1-2 against one team (Florida) and 0-1 against one team (Washington).  I think that is pretty good.  And as said earlier, a current #4 RPI (April 25th data).

Sure, there have been some distractions and I know I would love for us not too leave so many runners on base (not sure the actual numbers compared to last year, but seems higher), but that also means they are reaching base to begin with.  I agree our offensive numbers are not as high as last year but overall I think the team is doing very well.

And we were oh so close to beating Florida 2 of 3.  I think some people, especially Kayla Braud, have forgotten that.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Clint could sure teach Butch about how to beat UAT.

Another great hire by JJ hmmmmmmmm

Coach has done a lot of things we've talked about on this board.  (Not implying that we've influenced it in any way.)  Moved Cooper out of leadoff, moved Draper to leadoff, moved Rivera up in the batting order, etc.  What I'm saying is, he's made some changes that made sense to us.  Here's one that baffles me a bit:  He keeps saying that we need better hitting (we all agree).  So in Game 3 of the MSU series, McCrackin drills a homer to left to tie the game in bot 7.  Just what the doctor ordered. Production from the bottom of the order.  What happens next?  McCrackin rides the pine while Crocker plays all five games.  Now, I know that Crocker is from t-town, so it wasn't a surprise to see her get the start up there.  I'm not downing Crocker, just seems like Crack delivered what was ordered, and her reward is to get benched.   ???

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Coach has done a lot of things we've talked about on this board.  (Not implying that we've influenced it in any way.)  Moved Cooper out of leadoff, moved Draper to leadoff, moved Rivera up in the batting order, etc.  What I'm saying is, he's made some changes that made sense to us.  Here's one that baffles me a bit:  He keeps saying that we need better hitting (we all agree).  So in Game 3 of the MSU series, McCrackin drills a homer to left to tie the game in bot 7.  Just what the doctor ordered. Production from the bottom of the order.  What happens next?  McCrackin rides the pine while Crocker plays all five games.  Now, I know that Crocker is from t-town, so it wasn't a surprise to see her get the start up there.  I'm not downing Crocker, just seems like Crack delivered what was ordered, and her reward is to get benched.   ???

Your facts are incorrect.

CM hit the HR in game 2, and started game 3 the next day. She was then benched for the 3 game series against Alabama, presumably for the reason you mentioned. KK was decent enough against tough Bama pitching so there wasn't a real reason to put in CM. CM then started the next game against Kentucky, and went 0-2, and pinch hit the game after.

We're so blessed to have hired coach Myers away from Arizona State. I wish our other coaches in our other sports had the gift of getting their teams ready to play each and every time.

11 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

CCM is IMHO, JJ's best hire. 

Heard it was basically handed to him. But glad Coach Myers is here nonetheless.

Archived