14 years with a draft pick

GwillMac6

Nice little streak we are on regardless of the lack of first round picks lately. Even west vance did not have a player drafted in 08. I remember that draft in 03 well. Robert Johnson our TE left early thinking he was a early- mid round pick and went undrafted. Got some terrible advice. I always thought he was really good. If he had stayed another year I bet he would of been drafted high in 04. 2013 was a close call tho. AU only had Corey Lemonier drafted in the third year.

• WarTiger changed the title to 14 years with a draft pick

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I'm still sore over Darvin Adams leaving. At what point does the hurt go away? 

I don't understand that. He would have gained nothing staying on that sinking ship. He struck while the iron was hot. He just wasn't an NFL WR.

I guess this is a nice way to make ourselves feel better. Only LSU, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Arkansas and South Carolina have more people drafted than us over the last decade with LSU and Bama having TWICE that of us over that timeframe. 

Yes 14 years in a row is nice, but its petty. We are not in good shape over the last decade. Arkansas and South Carolina having more drafted than us is PATHETIC. Those teams rarely IF EVER get close to top 10 classes. We have had a top 10 class every year 7 out of 10 of those years. 

I guess if one has orange and blue shaders on, it looks GREAT. But to those who can see the whole picture, that is a consolation prize. 

South Carolina has never beat us. Since tubs we are dominating Arkansas, .....well since chizik , Gus is 3-1. Drafts will improve, hopefully. 

7 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I guess this is a nice way to make ourselves feel better. Only LSU, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Arkansas and South Carolina have more people drafted than us over the last decade with LSU and Bama having TWICE that of us over that timeframe. 

Yes 14 years in a row is nice, but its petty. We are not in good shape over the last decade. Arkansas and South Carolina having more drafted than us is PATHETIC. Those teams rarely IF EVER get close to top 10 classes. We have had a top 10 class every year 7 out of 10 of those years. 

I guess if one has orange and blue shaders on, it looks GREAT. But to those who can see the whole picture, that is a consolation prize. 

lol yes because that is me mr sunshine pumper. YOU KNOW better..........

The truth of the matter is that we coach to win college football games, not to create professional football players. That's the style of coach we hired, and we knew that when we hired him.  His style of football is designed to beat giants with average men, and giving him top players hasn't changed that style. It's glorified sandlot. It's more about team coordination than individual effort. It's fun to watch and it wins college football games, but it doesn't translate the the NFL. 

Now, I'm not knocking Gus or our program, it's exciting, and with the right pieces, it gets the job done. It also yields itself to the fun, family atmosphere that we prefer. 

Look at the teams who fill the draft annually... bama and Ohio State. Now look at their coaches. I'd rather have Gus and his style than either of those two SOBs and their "programs".

17 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I don't understand that. He would have gained nothing staying on that sinking ship. He struck while the iron was hot. He just wasn't an NFL WR.

He is, however, a pretty good CFL receiver.  Just signed a three year extension with Winnipeg:

http://www.tsn.ca/bombers-re-sign-wr-adams-through-2019-1.651154

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He is, however, a pretty good CFL receiver.  Just signed a three year extension with Winnipeg:

http://www.tsn.ca/bombers-re-sign-wr-adams-through-2019-1.651154

I'm glad to hear that. I never questioned him for leaving when he did and I certainly wish him only the best. Really glad to hear he's still getting paid to play. 

Just thinking that having one or two players drafted every year does not guarantee much about the overall quality of a team or what it's W-L records might be.  Schools like Arky and USCe and many others latch onto an instate superstar or two who excel on a relatively mediocre team....thinking of Clowney and Lattimore at USCe and a couple others....but seems there is a big drop off in quality after their top few recruits.   

By and large, AU has been able to recruit some good talent across the board ...but not much of the 5* guaranteed for the NFL type.  JMO

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

The truth of the matter is that we coach to win college football games, not to create professional football players. That's the style of coach we hired, and we knew that when we hired him.  His style of football is designed to beat giants with average men, and giving him top players hasn't changed that style. It's glorified sandlot. It's more about team coordination than individual effort. It's fun to watch and it wins college football games, but it doesn't translate the the NFL. 

Now, I'm not knocking Gus or our program, it's exciting, and with the right pieces, it gets the job done. It also yields itself to the fun, family atmosphere that we prefer. 

Look at the teams who fill the draft annually... bama and Ohio State. Now look at their coaches. I'd rather have Gus and his style than either of those two SOBs and their "programs".

Damn, Auburn sure is willing to fork out a ton of money on football salaries & facilities for this..... "glorified sandlot" that brings "fun" and "family atmosphere that we prefer."  

Maybe it's just me, but as a multi-decade season ticket holder my "fun" in the bleachers of JHS has been very sporadic and short lived since AU kicked LSU's ass 41-7 back in 2014.:dunno:

I would take Urban and Nick in a heartbeat. It would be crazy not to. 

Gus doesn't beat giants with average men. Sometimes he doesn't even beat average men with better-than-average men. And when he truly does go sandlot, like he did against Clemson last year, he embarrasses everybody associated with the program and reveals to his players that he doesn't think they have what it takes to line up against a good football team and win. Gus *has* won with very good men as long as he had a giant or two mixed in along with a very experienced and talented offensive line. 

Also, none of that has anything to do with 5* Monty Adams falling to the 3rd round.

Talent wins football games. Talent gets drafted. We need to keep securing top talent and we need to do a better job of coaching it. We can do that and still maintain all the touchy feely characteristics that I actually agree with you are a selling point of our program and that separate us from some other programs in a very positive way. 

As for team coordination vs. individual effort, I'm afraid that doesn't make any sense. Every individual has to give maximum effort in order to achieve a coordinated performance. It's not like bama has had guys out there freestyling the last 10 years. They've had extremely talented individuals doing exactly what their coach told them to do. That's how you win football games and, again, in no way requires any substandard morality. If anything, it's been Auburn who has benefited from guys going off script in that same time frame.  

2014 was a perfect storm of leadership problems on defense. 2015 was a perfect storm of roster issues on offense. 2016 was a massive failure by our head coach. He didn't earn his paycheck last year, plain and simple. Now, I don't think our offensive woes the last two years have a ton to do with the 2017 draft, but the answer to the question that the draft raises each year- are we securing and adequately developing talented football players?- isn't a slam dunk "Yes" in line with our coaches' salaries. 

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

you know what is the most fun? winning. Urban has ran gus style of offense better than gus has his whole career. Saban even has been doing it better the last couple of years. You know what is not fun? Losing. Gus has been doing a lot of it the last 3 years.

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Gus doesn't beat giants with average men. Sometimes he doesn't even beat average men with better-than-average men. And when he truly does go sandlot, like he did against Clemson last year, he embarrasses everybody associated with the program and reveals to his players that he doesn't think they have what it takes to line up against a good football team and win. Gus *has* won with very good men as long as he had a giant or two mixed in along with a very experienced and talented offensive line. 

Gus's offense was designed to win at schools that couldn't recruit like Auburn.  It was designed to wear out the teams that had guys who were bigger and stronger than his players and confuse teams who were used to smash mouth football. Whether he has been successful recently or not is irrelevant, the fact of the matter is that he specializes in using misdirection, speed and other tricks to win football games.

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As for team coordination vs. individual effort, I'm afraid that doesn't make any sense.

It makes perfect sense. Gus's offense is all about moving parts, misdirection... it's like a dance. The coaches are concentrating on getting the players in the right place at the right time, even if it's just to confuse the defense, because Gus relies on the other team not knowing what he is doing (we've all seen what happens when they do). It can also easily collapse if one player is out of place. Just look at how much emphasis he puts into blocking, because a lot of his plays don't work without it. Teams that run a more pro-style offense, and can get the superstar players, can concentrate on perfecting their individual game and let them go play football. A couple of high performing players can carry the team.

40 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Talent wins football games. Talent gets drafted. We need to keep securing top talent and we need to do a better job of coaching it. We can do that and still maintain all the touchy feely characteristics that I actually agree with you are a selling point of our program and that separate us from some other programs in a very positive way. 

I don't disagree with any of this. What I'm pointing out is the reason we aren't coaching them up in the way they need for the NFL is that the focus of our coaching staff has been different than what is required for that. They were coaching them up, but they were coaching them up to excel in an offense that doesn't translate to the NFL. Heck, even Cam had detractors who pointed out, truthfully, that Gus's scheme left him with a large learning curve transitioning to the NFL.

Incidentally, I think you are going to see us transition into a more player focused offense with Chip, and over time, it will help our offensive players in the draft.  

As for the Defensive players... a couple more years with Steele and they will be moving up the draft boards. Monty and Carl's development suffered from the fact that they played musical coordinators for half of their college careers. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I would take Urban and Nick in a heartbeat. It would be crazy not to. 

I know... you've said... I and many other's disagree.  Character matters.

22 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

you know what is the most fun? winning. Urban has ran gus style of offense better than gus has his whole career. Saban even has been doing it better the last couple of years. You know what is not fun? Losing. Gus has been doing a lot of it the last 3 years.

Neither really run a Gus style offense. They use elements, but they don't put all of the focus into misdirection. They just grabbed dual threat QBs and took advantage of their abilities.

Also, no one had run a Gus style offense better than Gus did at Tulsa. If Urban ran a Gus style offense better than Gus, then Ohio state, especially with their schedule, would have had the most prolific offense in the NCAA.  Last year they were 11th in rushing and 81st in passing and 31st in total. 

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I know... you've said... I and many other's disagree.  Character matters.

This is coaching football not selecting someone for a humanitarian award. The object is to win the most football games. Sure Gus is a nicer guy than those 2 but I would not say urbs and saban have bad character. Here is a example of a coach who actually has lack of character. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/10/30/florida-atlantic-coach-carl-pelini-resigns-effective-immediately/3315561/

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is coaching football not selecting someone for a humanitarian award. The object is to win the most football games. Sure Gus is a nicer guy than those 2 but I would not say urbs and saban have bad character. Here is a example of a coach who actually has lack of character. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/10/30/florida-atlantic-coach-carl-pelini-resigns-effective-immediately/3315561/

Not to say that either Urban or Saban are using drugs, but I bet Pelini wishes he had the layers of protection that either of those two have.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I'm with Lion on this one. Having a giant douchebag for a coach takes some of the luster off of winning. And saban and Meyer are both giant douchebags. Also, look at bama fans. They're not happy. They're still the same, miserable sacks of crap they've always been. They're just more obnoxious these days. 

I'm not saying that the last few years have been okay because Gus isn't as big of a douchebag as those guys, but I was also very vocally anti-Petrino. And I was anti-Jonathan Taylor, and I'll be anti-other crappy people, even if they might be winners. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm with Lion on this one. Having a giant douchebag for a coach takes some of the luster off of winning. And saban and Meyer are both giant douchebags. Also, look at bama fans. They're not happy. They're still the same, miserable sacks of crap they've always been. They're just more obnoxious these days. 

I'm not saying that the last few years have been okay because Gus isn't as big of a douchebag as those guys, but I was also very vocally anti-Petrino. And I was anti-Jonathan Taylor, and I'll be anti-other crappy people, even if they might be winners. 

not you loof not you......... This is a sad day for the Auburn family forum! lol. COME ON MAAAAAAAAAAN as the boisterous Chris Carter would say. Most great coaches are cut in that cloth. I do not see character flaws at least in these 2. Dbags? sure. I can put up with that and most other people can as well if they are winning at historic clips. I think Chizik is a great person but he had a big time hokey cheesy Dbag vibe to him. Dbags come in all shapes forms and sizes. Not all dbags are created equal. 

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Auburn itself is bigger than any coach and guess what?! It will be a fun,family atmosphere regardless of who the coach is. Did Sonny Galloway take away any of this from Auburn? Of course not! He is one of the biggest A'holes and dbags as a coach I have seen. They are not mutually exclusive to each other. Auburn will still be Auburn and what we all love that is great about it OFF THE FIELD regardless of who is roaming the sidelines, court or diamond. Who the coach is is not going to dictate any of this.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

not you loof not you......... This is a sad day for the Auburn family forum! lol. COME ON MAAAAAAAAAAN as the boisterous Chris Carter would say. Most great coaches are cut in that cloth. I do not see character flaws at least in these 2. Dbags? sure. I can put up with that and most other people can as well if they are winning at historic clips. I think Chizik is a great person but he had a big time hokey cheesy Dbag vibe to him. Dbags come in all shapes forms and sizes. Not all dbags are created equal. 

I say that in the mirror every morning.

saban's daughter beats up her friends. Urban mysteriously had a health condition after the inmates had taken over the asylum at UF and then it was mysteriously gone when the OSU job came open. 

You're right, a CFB coach has to have certain qualities to win big these days, and not all of them are good. And Gus isn't the choirboy that so many think he is. But something about those guys... I dunno. And it's not jealousy. It really isn't. 

I'm okay with folks wishing we had them. As you said, they're not serial killers. Just not who I want. 

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Did Sonny Galloway take away any of this from Auburn?

Ask some of the team parents.

Archived