2018 4* RB Dameon Pierce

ellitor

42 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

#1 - Huge miss by the staff. They all thought DP was in. Horton got worked by DP.  Plain and simple. 

#2 - People who aren't concerned about the RB recruiting and depth are walking a tightrope. Eventually one of the so called plug and play backs are not going to produce like a Pettway, Mason and Payne did. Need to sign at least two legit every down RB in almost every class. If not we get in a position like at the end of last year. This plug and play anyone mentality is like Russian roulette.  

#3 - Time to bring Dell McDee home. He is another T-Will and is killing it. Will most likely land Cook with the other 5* back they have. Need new blood on the RB coaching side IMO. 

#4 - Next year. Could be KJ, Barrett, Martin and Miller. Lots of unknowns in that bunch. Not terrible but we need some elite talent at the position. Could Miller be a elite back? Sure. The sky isn't falling but we better start to do better with signing RB's.  

I wonder if the reason Porter was brought in, is he may move to running back coach in the future. I think Horton is a good coach because of the production, but his production on the recruiting trail is less than stellar. What do you think about Porter moving to RB coach?

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

#1 - Huge miss by the staff. They all thought DP was in. Horton got worked by DP.  Plain and simple. 

#2 - People who aren't concerned about the RB recruiting and depth are walking a tightrope. Eventually one of the so called plug and play backs are not going to produce like a Pettway, Mason and Payne did. Need to sign at least two legit every down RB in almost every class. If not we get in a position like at the end of last year. This plug and play anyone mentality is like Russian roulette.  

#3 - Time to bring Dell McDee home. He is another T-Will and is killing it. Will most likely land Cook with the other 5* back they have. Need new blood on the RB coaching side IMO. 

#4 - Next year. Could be KJ, Barrett, Martin and Miller. Lots of unknowns in that bunch. Not terrible but we need some elite talent at the position. Could Miller be a elite back? Sure. The sky isn't falling but we better start to do better with signing RB's.  

Not to derail the thread, but with the kind of season that we're hoping/expecting, what are the chances that one of Gus' mainstays leaves?

2 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I wonder if the reason Porter was brought in, is he may move to running back coach in the future. I think Horton is a good coach because of the production, but his production on the recruiting trail is less than stellar. What do you think about Porter moving to RB coach?

Good question. 

3 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Not to derail the thread, but with the kind of season that we're hoping/expecting, what are the chances that one of Gus' mainstays leaves?

Another good question. 

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It's  hard to argue with any of that.  

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

I feel like I heard that Horton has already tested the waters a little. 

I am just happy that he committed to UF now instead of waiting until national signing day.  At least the coaches have time to look for other legitimate alternatives. 

I just can't get concerned about running back recruiting. It's the easiest position to fill.  There is no shortage of good backs, and true freshmen can contribute immediately.   If we don't land the right guy this year,  it will be much easier next year because of the lure of immediate playing time.   Other positions need a good pipeline in place, and can't be fixed in one year.  We are fine.

2 hours ago, aubearcat said:

He was close to leaving this last year, almost went to a west coast school.  He has constantly been looking for a head coaching job or upgrade in his career.  This last year was the first time that he looked at a lateral move that I am aware of.

I know a lot of you don't see Worm as an every down back and maybe he won't be, but it is not like he doesn't exist.  I really think SS is going to be a special player.  He already has power that is misleading.  Give him a year in the weights and he could be very dangerous.

21 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I know a lot of you don't see Worm as an every down back and maybe he won't be, but it is not like he doesn't exist.  I really think SS is going to be a special player.  He already has power that is misleading.  Give him a year in the weights and he could be very dangerous.

If he learns to run lower, I think he could be very dangerous.  From the film I saw he runs pretty upright.  He would be hard to find and get a hold of when he improves that area.  He could surprise if he can avoid the big hits, no doubt.

I'm with you.  In 1984 when Lionel James was drafted in the 5th round of the NFL draft, he was 5'6", 171 lbs.  Worm is listed as 5'7" and 165lbs NOW.  I'm pretty sure who is faster.  Auburn got over 3000 all=purpose yards out of Little Train, and he shared time with BO.

In 1985, James set the NFL record for all purpose yards in a season with 2,535 yards. He also set the record for receiving yards by a running back with 1,027 yards [1] while also leading the AFC in receptions with 86. On November 10, 1985, he had his best day as a pro versus the Los Angeles Raiders. He gained 345 all-purpose yards including a career best 168 yards receiving and scored the winning touchdown in a 40–34 overtime victory.[1] The total yardage was second at the time only to the 373 yards by Billy Cannon in 1961, and remains a Chargers franchise record. He might have broken the record in an earlier game that season against the Cincinnati Bengals except for a Chargers penalty that cost him 89 yards of a 100-yard kickoff return. James finished that game with 316 yards.[2]

Shivers without question will be HUGE for Auburn (haha, get it?).  But he does need to bulk up so he can withstand the hits.  

I think we are all disappointed because we need a big, durable back to go with The Worm.  The Worm can't go it alone and  D Barrett at 185# isn't that big thumper.  We didn't get a thumper last year and we (me, I ) was hoping for a thumper like DP.  

Shivers will be more like Cadillac in my opinion: strong, quick and fast.  Cadillac was strong his senior year, but not so much his 1st year.  Maybe not his 2nd year. 

I don't know the exact reason why DP chose UF. But he is another example of a recruit who spoke volumes in how much he liked Auburn only to tell the coaches thanks, but no thanks. All I know is it sure is frustrating.:sad2:

I understand the glamour thing of having a top rb commit to Auburn. But at the end of the day, 1200 yards is 1200 yards. Regardless if a 5 star or 1 star ran for them. It all starts with the offensive line anyway. Not whether a 5 star back to toting the ball.

The thought process is that if Auburn could land one of the top 3 rb's on their board, rb's that the coaches evaluated as better fits in the offense, they would be more productive and not get the same results.   

34 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

I understand the glamour thing of having a top rb commit to Auburn. But at the end of the day, 1200 yards is 1200 yards. Regardless if a 5 star or 1 star ran for them. It all starts with the offensive line anyway. Not whether a 5 star back to toting the ball.

We haven't fared too well in the glamour RB department. If I remember correctly here is how we fared with the last three 5* RB'S we had

1. Michael Dyer-Two good years then I believe was kicked off the team.

2. Roc Thomas-Flashes of brilliance and after two years transferred to JSU.

3. Jovon Robinson-About a half a season of good play in 2015 and then kicked off the team prior to the start of the 2016 season.

I don't know what it is about Auburn and 5* RBs.

13 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

We haven't fared too well in the glamour RB department. If I remember correctly here is how we fared with the last three 5* RB'S we had

3. Jovon Robinson-About a half a season of good play in 2015 and then kicked off the team prior to the start of the 2016 season.

Two of those glamour RBs were good enough on the field for their billing.  Michael Dyer lived up to it just for that one play alone. As for Jovon, if we could make an analogy here, he would be akin to a 5 tool baseball player because he had it all on the field..size, speed, toughness, etc.

40 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Two of those glamour RBs were good enough on the field for their billing.  Michael Dyer lived up to it just for that one play alone. As for Jovon, if we could make an analogy here, he would be akin to a 5 tool baseball player because he had it all on the field..size, speed, toughness, etc.

Jovon  is one of my biggest regrets ever. That is the perfect analogy because he had all the tools of a elite back. SMH. I can never get that mad at a kid for loving Auburn so much he committed and signed with us twice. I remember the second time everyone thought he was going to bama at first coming out of juco......

54 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

sorry to be a nitpicker but when was Rocs flashes of brilliance? I honestly never saw it on the field for AU.

Very nice review and analysis (without the data, sorry StatTiger)....actually that would be an "assessment."  Great points.

Ok, I am sure I am the only taking this position, but you guys pointed the "exact reason" why we need crazy depth at RB (starting with players high, high on our board (regardless of stars)).   

For good reasons or bad/sad, top end backs struggle to make it through a program and stay healthy.  You guys just made my case.  I will cherry pick here:

USC - Lattimore, UGA - Chubb, Oregon - just pick one....whew

My gripe is we get "who we want" every 2 or 3 years and then "fill in".   Some of you think that is ok, b/c of our power run game and we make great players out of above avg backs.

I assert if we had great depth with the back high on our board, year in and year out, we could recruit other skill & OL positions more easily and we wouldn't be biting our nails regarding recruits.   We have to overhaul some things in this area of the program.   

1 hour ago, milehighfan said:

Pierce is a 4 star, so he may have worked out better. I just know I would have liked to seen him at AU and see how he worked out.

On 8/7/2017 at 7:54 PM, kd4au said:

Pierce is a 4 star, so he may have worked out better. I just know I would have liked to seen him at AU and see how he worked out.

I admit I made a mistake regarding Pierce being a 5* But my point is over the last few years several highly regarded RBs we've signed have not panned out. 

As for Thomas he did have a few big moments, just not enough of them

As for JR after coming on strong in the latter part of the 2015 season, it would have been great to see what he could have done during the course of what hopefully would have been an injury free 2016 season.

The silver lining behind the dark cloud of JR being dismissed is the emergence of KP.

Archived