2018 4* RB Dameon Pierce

ellitor

For all the gloom and doom, it is very possible we cooled on Pierce and are going all in to get James Cook. Sunshine, pumped.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I am beating a dead horse, but look at the results we get with 'lesser' backs: Tre Mason, Cameron Artis-Payne, Corey Grant....

I agree, got to change the message.  It is ironic: we are so committed to a power running game, but we don't ardently recruit those kind of backs or we just miss ON EVERY SINGLE ONE WE RECRUIT.    The complimentary backs we recruit or bring in become studs, but our process is broken.

Let me try to explain.   Nobody is complaining about the backs we get or their results, that theory has been beaten to death by sunshine pumpers.  The reality is that we are missing the top rbs on our board year in and out.  Why?  Is just the question being asked.   With the results you point out from the rb's we end up getting that are down on our list just think what that potential could be if we got our top rated guys by our coaches.  WDE

5 minutes ago, AUinGA44 said:

For all the gloom and doom, it is very possible we cooled on Pierce and are going all in to get James Cook. Sunshine, pumped.

He was never very high on our board, but we are getting to a point where our insiders are not even sure who is on the board any more.

14 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I am beating a dead horse, but look at the results we get with 'lesser' backs: Tre Mason, Cameron Artis-Payne, Corey Grant....

I agree, got to change the message.  It is ironic: we are so committed to a power running game, but we don't ardently recruit those kind of backs or we just miss ON EVERY SINGLE ONE WE RECRUIT.    The complimentary backs we recruit or bring in become studs, but our process is broken.

The Worm will likely be the next 1500 yd rusher for Auburn to prove my point...don't listen to me, I am just a fan.  A frustrated one at that.  

War Eagle, anyway.

Artis Payne was serviceable. We caught lightning in a bottle with Tre Mason. No one expected him to become what he was. Dyer was highly rated, but I would argue the last truly elite back we have recruited out of high school was Carnell Williams. The list of the ones we have missed on, or lost to that school in West Vance is truly sobering. 

This is getting ridiculous!!!! It is one thing to lose out on guys to Ohio State and presumably bama with Asa BUT FLORIDA?!?! to the swamp donkey? How the heck is that dude all of sudden recruiting lights out after struggling so much it seemed like his first 2 years? You got to be kidding me! The naked shark man that looked like him apparently was the best thing to ever happen to his career. Florida has been recruiting amazingly since then........

I usually never worry about RB recruiting because we produce great results no matter who is back there. But I will say it does certainly puzzle me how we have had a 1k yard rusher every season going on 10 years and yet like someone said above the last elite recruit we got was dyer. We have a great rb coach and recruiter in Horton. It does not add up. It does not make sense. That is the 1 position where 5 stars should be beating down our door. They know we are going to run the football and run it really well.

45 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

We haven't been RBU for a very long time now. AL, GA, FL State, and many more have handed our rear end to us on the recruiting trail for elite backs. for several years.  The last one we won on was Dyer. Even then, we lost on the best guy to South Carolina. Alabama has more running back talent on their present roster, than we have amassed in at least 7 years. I don't know what our approach is, but it ain't working. 

Uh, I'm sorry, I thought results on the field determined things more than recruiting. And we've been getting the results on the field for quite some time.

12 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Artis Payne was serviceable. We caught lightning in a bottle with Tre Mason. No one expected him to become what he was. Dyer was highly rated, but I would argue the last truly elite back we have recruited out of high school was Carnell Williams. The list of the ones we have missed on, or lost to that school in West Vance is truly sobering. 

Actually, I remember when he was signed reading one prognosticator's opinion that Tre might well outperform several of the more highly rated backs in that year's class. And Mason wasn't exactly thought to be a scrub, as he WAS rated 4 stars out of high school.

I have said it all summer and many of you scoff at my ideas, but we really need to change our strategy (marketing, message, tactics, build/inject some sizzle and glitter into our staff/program).    If we keep doing the same things....well we get beat on the recruiting scene.

It is more than "just get wins".  It has to be....it's been a while since we can say, well we win 9-11 games every yr.. Or similar.  We can't wait for the next great season.

Or, we aren't changing "that", because bama doesn't change "that" or "traditional teams" don't do that.  

We are probably the tightest knit family of a program from what I read.  I love that.  We don't have to abandon "family" to improve recruiting...

Enjoy your Sunday.  It's great to be an Auburn Tiger!

8 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Uh, I'm sorry, I thought results on the field determined things more than recruiting. And we've been getting the results on the field for quite some time.

If by results, you mean 1,000 yard rushers yes. We've been rolling out 1,000 yard rushers because of running as much as the service academies. Our results in the win-loss column over the past 8-9 years has been mediocre minus two huge years. We need to close on more elite talent than we have been. 

Mason wasn't a "marginal" back out of high school.  He was a very solid top 20 RB with potential to do exactly what he did.

we had an elite back with whispers of heisman 12 months ago in Jovon Robinson.  

I still say if he had not lost his mind and stayed on the team, we would not have had the weird Whirly-bird 1st game offense, utilized a safe sound passing game (not hosing our QB's) and our year would have been substantially different.

jovon was that good.  Sucks he only showed flashes like the bowl game.

edit:  it really sucks we lost out on pierce.  We should be getting a top 5 or 10 back every year to go along with a top 20 back

11 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I have said it all summer and many of you scoff at my ideas, but we really need to change our strategy (marketing, message, tactics, build/inject some sizzle and glitter into our staff/program).    If we keep doing the same things....well we get beat on the recruiting scene.

It is more than "just get wins".  It has to be....it's been a while since we can say, well we win 9-11 games every yr.. Or similar.  We can't wait for the next great season.

Or, we aren't changing "that", because bama doesn't change "that" or "traditional teams" don't do that.  

We are probably the tightest knit family of a program from what I read.  I love that.  We don't have to abandon "family" to improve recruiting...

And I have always been the one to agree with you BUT it all starts at the top of the program and Gus is just not that type of personality to incorporate a more flashier style.

Here is a nutshell of why it does not matter how many 1000 yard rushers we pump out.  This is horrendous and kids with NFL aspirations look at this and you can bet your rear end the other schools use this against us.  This list is awful.  For the record, Ugags does not look any better but somehow they have used smoke and mirrors to make them look like they are light years ahead.  Kudos to their marketing department

NFL DRAFT

2017- None

2016- None

2015- CAP  5th Round

2014- Mason 3rd Round

2013- None

2012- None

2011- None

2010- Ben Tate 2nd Round

2009- None

2008- None

2007- Kenny Irons 2nd Round

2006- None

2005- Brown and Caddy 1st Round

This is surprising. I felt he wouldn't wait to commit until after his season because both teams were pressuring him to make a decision. I felt we were in a good spot with him and he would be our rb though his class. We will put full court on Martin even though he is leaning bama. Let's let the season play out before the melts. We have Kerryon another year and Malik miller is very good. I think Kam turns pro and that is his plan but who knows maybe he changes his mind.

2 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

This is surprising. I felt he wouldn't wait to commit until after his season because both teams were pressuring him to make a decision. I felt we were in a good spot with him and he would be our rb though his class. We will put full court on Martin even though he is leaning bama. Let's let the season play out before the melts. We have Kerryon another year and Malik miller is very good. I think Kam turns pro and that is his plan but who knows maybe he changes his mind.

When we probaly lose out on Asa do we turn up the heat on joiner again?

7 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Here is a nutshell of why it does not matter how many 1000 yard rushers we pump out.  This is horrendous and kids with NFL aspirations look at this and you can bet your rear end the other schools use this against us.  This list is awful.  For the record, Ugags does not look any better but somehow they have used smoke and mirrors to make them look like they are light years ahead.  Kudos to their marketing department

NFL DRAFT

2017- None

2016- None

2015- CAP  5th Round

2014- Mason 3rd Round

2013- None

2012- None

2011- None

2010- Ben Tate 2nd Round

2009- None

2008- None

2007- Kenny Irons 2nd Round

2006- None

2005- Brown and Caddy 1st Round

Florida's RBs in the NFL in that stretch is much much worse. No way we should be losing a RB to Florida especially when he is not from Florida AND swamp donkey is their coach?! Yah that really pisses me off.

39 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Excellent points. It is wonderful to have a family atmosphere, but that cannot continue to be our culture. I run my family with a lot of patience, because I know we will all be there for one another in the end. I run my business with a tremendous sense of urgency, because I know my competition is gaining on us. It starts with winning consistently and competing for Atlanta consistently. That has to be followed by developing players for the NFL.  I remain hopeful that our coach has learned this and this season will begin a nice run for AU football. The sky is not falling for recruiting, but I do wish we would close with more urgency. We have way too many recruits who "almost" commit but decide to "push things back". That's code language for, 'other schools are circling and pushing harder.'

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

When we probaly lose out on Asa do we turn up the heat on joiner again?

Also can't forget DB who I am not sold can be an ever down back but we will see. Let's just see how this plays out. I am not sure on HJ, I know we are recruiting Smoke. Let's just see how Asa turns out first which ks not looking great atm.

Honestly I don't want to get a back just to get one.  If we can't get the power backs we need then lets go full court press on next years guys right now.

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

Excellent points. It is wonderful to have a family atmosphere, but that cannot continue to be our culture. I run my family with a lot of patience, because I know we will all be there for one another in the end. I run my business with a tremendous sense of urgency, because I know my competition is gaining on us. It starts with winning consistently and competing for Atlanta consistently. That has to be followed by developing players for the NFL.  I remain hopeful that our coach has learned this and this season will begin a nice run for AU football. The sky is not falling for recruiting, but I do wish we would close with more urgency. We have way too many recruits who "almost" commit but decide to "push things back". That's code language for, 'other schools are circling and pushing harder.'

I think it also spells our coaches are too "nice" and they do not necessarily push hard enough or push in a way to get the kids to commit like other schools. 

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Florida's RBs in the NFL in that stretch is much much worse. No way we should be losing a RB to Florida especially when he is not from Florida AND swamp donkey is their coach?! Yah that really pisses me off.

Oh it's horrible.  Jimmy has been putrid on offense and he racks up Copeland, Schwartz, and Pierce all at once along with a stud QB.  Dude must have pulled out his bag of tricks he learned at Bama.

7 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I think our culture attracts the opposite of kids that bama is attracting or at least it goes for that. They always are going to get the dudes who treat it like a "business decision" and are just looking at it as the "best" place to get them to the NFL. Our approach attracts more of the fun loving happy go lucky kids.

Bama recruits kids and treats kids like Bama is going to be fine with you or without you.  If you don't commit here we will find another kid to get drafted in the first round.  Auburn "appears" to do just the opposite and that is why so many kids ALMOST commit to us.  We can never seem to get over the hump and get studs on board early to help close the class strong.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Actually, I remember when he was signed reading one prognosticator's opinion that Tre might well outperform several of the more highly rated backs in that year's class. And Mason wasn't exactly thought to be a scrub, as he WAS rated 4 stars out of high school.

I understand your point on Mason, however my point remains the same. We are still losing too many recruiting battles for top running backs. Mason turned out to be much better than most predicted. Pettway had an excellent year last year, but the truth is he is a good fullback playing RB, and lacks elite break away speed. No knock on the young man, just the truth. Given our system, and success running the football we should have elite backs foaming at the mouth to play here is all I'm saying. 

Archived