Defensive Backs

corchjay

This group may be the most interesting and intriguing of all the position groups on the team.  There's what I'll call the "Great Divide" between experienced players and young players.  I thought we were short on players in the defensive backfield but not as much as I thought after starting to look more in depth into it.  Just after our starters there's no proven depth.  I trust that Coach Brown is a good/great developer of talent or he wouldn't have been brought in.  We will just have to wait on that to see over the next year or so.  However, as everyone has been saying injuries to the starters could be a disaster.

Depth Chart 

Starters - C. Davis, J. Davis, T. Matthews, S. Roberts, J.Dinson

Backups - M. Character, J. Dean, N. Ruffin, D. Thomas, Broussard, I normally don't list walk ons but Dirty Mike, and injured J. Myers

New comers - M. Askew, J. Peters, C. Gonzalez, T. Leonard.

Possible moves to DB - The one I think that will is J. Whitlow the one that I don't think will is A. Williams.

Shout out to my Bruh @bigbird to help with where the backups will fall on the depth chart since he's the in house expert on DBs and maybe share some thoughts on scheme a little more in depth.

This group of starters might possibly be the best position group on the team but as mentioned any injuries could spell disaster.  Mixing and matching the older and younger players will be interesting to watch as the coaches make their in game chess moves.  

Thoughts?

Very excited to see Dinson play again.  He was really catching fire in 2015 until his injury.  He picked up where he left off on A-Day.  Every one of those back-ups I have full confidence in except Boussard and Meyers only because I have not seen much of them.  Broussard miffed a few plays in his mop up duty last year.  Character has received high praise, Thomas looked like Rudy Ford reincarnated last year, Ruffin has always been a good back-up, Dean would have won the starting job over J. Davis last year had he not been hurt, and Dirty Mike I have always liked.  Fun fact, in the Iron Bowl, Daniel Thomas has not prepared at all for the game.  He was thrown in there and just told to cover someone.  If he turned in a performance like that not knowing where to go, or the coverages, imagine what he can do this year.

I do agree we need to mix and match so we can confidently have the "Next Man Up" mentality and not worry like we do for our linebacker corps. 

As you stated the starters will be pretty solid.  I do have concerns about Roberts as he sometimes is overly aggressive and loses his leverage.  Many times Matthews gets blamed for blown coverage because he comes off his man trying to cover for the other safeties mistakes.

I believe we have a solid 2 deep at corner and I love Dinson's length at nickel.

As far as the back ups go, its really hard to say one way or the other due to the lack of PT. I believe that Dean, D. Thomas, and Character will be our best reserves and we need to develop them in real time for next year.  

The new comers are an  interesting mix. I like Peters' size and would love to have him at safety, but I believe he is destined for corner. Gonzalez, to me is built more like a FS than a SS and will be most likely playing the deep safety. I agree that Whitlow will most likely be moved to safety, he has very fluid hips. 

Per Mr. Marcello, spring 40 times:

10. RB Kam Martin: 4.41

9. QB Malik Willis: 4.40

8. DB Tray Matthews: 4.40

7. WR Marquis McClain: 4.37

6. CB Carlton Davis: 4.33

5. WR Will Hastings: 4.31

4. DB Jamel Dean: 4.28

3. WR Darius Slayton: 4.26

2. WR John Franklin III: 4.22

1. CB Javaris Davis: 4.17

Presented as a slide gallery at http://auburn.247sports.com/Gallery/Auburns-fastest-players-this-spring-52537459

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Understood, though at least the free version of the article didn't specify timing method. Considering our history, I considered referencing Mr. Ripley in my post as well.

2 hours ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Per Mr. Marcello, spring 40 times:

10. RB Kam Martin: 4.41

9. QB Malik Willis: 4.40

8. DB Tray Matthews: 4.40

7. WR Marquis McClain: 4.37

6. CB Carlton Davis: 4.33

5. WR Will Hastings: 4.31

4. DB Jamel Dean: 4.28

3. WR Darius Slayton: 4.26

2. WR John Franklin III: 4.22

1. CB Javaris Davis: 4.17

Presented as a slide gallery at http://auburn.247sports.com/Gallery/Auburns-fastest-players-this-spring-52537459

I actually wish AU would quit putting this information out. Everyone knows it is badly skewed. Based on Bird's info, our faster people should be around 4.4 (which is really fast btw) which is about right for most teams. There may be a guy or two that are sub 4.4 but not to many. If those times were correct we should be winning the SEC track meet 4x4 relay.

11 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I actually wish AU would quit putting this information out. Everyone knows it is badly skewed. Based on Bird's info, our faster people should be around 4.4 (which is really fast btw) which is about right for most teams. There may be a guy or two that are sub 4.4 but not to many. If those times were correct we should be winning the SEC track meet 4x4 relay.

We did win a 4+4 relay recently, but it was with track athletes of course! Penn Relays

8 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I don't think anyone cares except for we message board hoodlums. 

12 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I actually wish AU would quit putting this information out. Everyone knows it is badly skewed. Based on Bird's info, our faster people should be around 4.4 (which is really fast btw) which is about right for most teams. There may be a guy or two that are sub 4.4 but not to many. If those times were correct we should be winning the SEC track meet 4x40 relay?

Edits mine (for fun).

But generally agree, wholeheartedly.

WDE

@bigbird You really think Dean, Thomas, and Character will be ahead of Ruffin on the list of backups? Or was he an omission as a "third starter"? I think Ruffin is both very good and likely the first man off the bench at either Safety spot. I also assume that Character will find a home in the rotation at CB or Safety, tbd. Then Dean and Thomas will land at Nickel and/or Safety.

That about right? Broussard looked farther along than last year so I'd be somewhat surprised to see any of the freshmen pass him on the depth chart at CB, but I'm also not sure Broussard is in the playing rotation himself at the moment.

31 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

@bigbird You really think Dean, Thomas, and Character will be ahead of Ruffin on the list of backups? Or was he an omission as a "third starter"?

Just forgot to put him in.  Like you said, he will be first up.

We have had successful seasons where we seemed thinner than this in the secondary...2004 comes to mind.  That's 6 guys with good experience and a load of young talent.

Yeah, personally, my concern for the secondary is not this season. It's next year when Matthews, Roberts, Ruffin, and possibly Carlton Davis are all gone, but that's an issue for another time. This year, I feel pretty good about this group.

Archived