2018 QB recruiting

ellitor

Auburn made a public statement over the weekend in regard to its 2018 recruiting class

The Tigers offered 5-star Penn State quarterback commit Justin Fields, who is ranked the No. 1 dual-threat quarterback in the country by the 247Sports composite rankings. Auburn’s offer to Fields answered a longtime question about whether the Tigers would attempt to take more than just Joey Gatewood at quarterback in the 2018 class.

It has been confirmed: Auburn will take two in 2018.

A source close to the program said the decision has been made to take a second quarterback in the class because of the sudden, surprising transfer of Tyler Queen. There is limited depth at quarterback behind Jarrett Stidham and Sean White, especially if Auburn hopes to redshirt Malik Willis.

Despite the decision to take a second, I’ve been told Gatewood is still considered “the guy” and staple of the 2018 class, so this has nothing to do with a lack of confidence in Gatewood, rather a need to strengthen the core group on campus.

What it means for Joey Gatewood

It’s somewhat tough to sell Gatewood as “the guy” when the first offer sent out when deciding to take two quarterbacks goes to a guy like Fields, who is one of the only dual-threat quarterbacks ranked ahead of Gatewood in this class.

But that’s not an issue for Gatewood.

DSC_0007-2_yuskzb.jpg
Auburn QB commit Joey Gatewood is ranked among the top 100 players in the Class of 2018. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

For starters, he’s already used to the trials of a quarterback competition at Bartram Trail (Fla.), which he says has made him a much better quarterback. But this offer to Fields didn’t come as a major surprise to Gatewood, who told SEC Country that he and the staff have communicated for a while about the potential of taking a second quarterback.

When Queen transferred, coaches — specifically Chip Lindsey — conveyed to Gatewood that they’d need to start offering, visiting and evaluating other quarterbacks to bolster the depth at the position.

Moreover, Gatewood said Lindsey is letting him know everything as it pertains to quarterback recruiting. When coaches go visit another quarterback’s high school, they said they’ll let him know. When coaches send out another offer, they said they’ll tell him.

There are no plans to blindside Gatewood. Auburn has been giving him regular updates, so he knew the Fields offer was coming, just as he will be fully aware of any future moves.

Auburn’s options going forward

It’s relatively late in the cycle to build new relationships with recruits, especially at the quarterback position.

Auburn did a good job of closing late last class to secure then-Virginia Tech commit Malik Willis, which has turned out to be a fruitful move so far this spring. If Auburn wants to score another top quarterback, however, it’s likely going to stem from relationships the Tigers have built already.

In reference to the Tigers’ remaining quarterback options, here’s our analysis:

Tennessee recruiting
QB Justin Fields has been committed to Penn State since December. (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

5-star Justin Fields, Harrison (Ga.): Fields is the most recent offer. He’s also a hot commodity for other programs such as Georgia, Florida and Florida State. Worth noting, Fields plays quarterback for the Cam Newton 7-on-7 team and grew up a fan of Newton. Still, it’ll be a tough flip for someone who is still committed to Penn State and has been recruited by other rival programs. Fields is keeping his options open, and a visit to Auburn wouldn’t be surprising in the slightest.

5-star Emory Jones, Heard County (Ga.): The Ohio State commit would be another tough pull, but he’s someone who Auburn has recently offered and also hosted a few times. Alabama, Florida and Florida State are others showing interest in Jones. I spoke with someone close to Jones’ recruitment at the Under Armour camp in Atlanta last month who said Auburn is nearly an impossible landing spot because it’s too close to home. He wants to step out of his comfort zone for his next destination.

4-star Gerry Bohanon, Earle (Ark.): It’s still not a sure thing Auburn wants Bohanon as a quarterback. When he left his visit, Bohanon said Auburn — like everyone except Arkansas — is recruiting him as a quarterback. I’ve been told his situation is more like someone who is considered an athlete that will be given a shot at quarterback. Bohanon does have impressive passing numbers that Auburn will continue to evaluate.

3-star Jarren Williams, Central Gwinnett (Ga.): Here’s another offer I could see Auburn extending in the near future, especially if the Tigers feel out of it for Fields and Jones. Williams recently de-committed from Kentucky, thanks to some recruiting pushes from Alabama and Georgia. Auburn visited Williams’ school last week in Atlanta, and he’s another prospect the Tigers will evaluate heavily this spring, fall and summer.

Unranked Cordel Littlejohn, Roswell (Ga.): Littlejohn is a newcomer to the state of Georgia after a 3,654-yard, 50-touchdown junior season in Lincolnton, N.C. He ended up at Roswell, which makes him the heir apparent to Willis’ quarterback throne for the Hornets. His cousin and fellow Roswell player Tyneil Hopper is another Auburn target. On Sunday, Littlejohn won quarterback MVP at a Rivals camp that Fields also attended. Littlejohn has visited Auburn with Hopper a few times this spring. Expect the Tigers to evaluate him in-depth going forward.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You think Gatewood's buying that "sudden and surprising" bit about Queen's transfer? Pretty convenient for Gus and Chip, either way. 

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You think Gatewood's buying that "sudden and surprising" bit about Queen's transfer? Pretty convenient for Gus and Chip, either way. 

No. That's just what a source told SECCountry. We don't know that's what Chip & Gus told Joey. There are enough reasons to offer a 2nd QB anyway had Queen stayed.

How will the QB recruiting be affected by Woody leaving the program?

34 minutes ago, gc2525 said:

How will the QB recruiting be affected by Woody leaving the program?

Nothing. Going to take Gatewood and one more. Has been the plan ever since Chip got on board. 

We get Gatewood, go balls to the wall for Justin Fields and try to beat Florida for him.

31 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

We get Gatewood, go balls to the wall for Justin Fields and try to beat Florida for him.

Keep an eye on the QBs in the merged OP too.

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

who would be your favorite personally?  Does not mean most likely to sign with Auburn.

Personally Fields is my favorite even over Gatewood.  I appreciate JG's persistence in staying loyal, but his lack of time at QB1 makes me very nervous.  Fields looks the part to me and has a lot of the abilities like MW did before he got here.  But that is just my untrained eye.

10 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

who would be your favorite personally?  Does not mean most likely to sign with Auburn.

IDK. I haven't had time to watch all their highlights. I am curious about Littlejohn but Wolk is the only AU reporter that's touched on him so far.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

You know I am E 

16 hours ago, ellitor said:

IDK. I haven't had time to watch all their highlights. I am curious about Littlejohn but Wolk is the only AU reporter that's touched on him so far.

Also curious about Littlejohn. Looks like he balled out at the Rivals camp. 

That's an interesting note on Littlejohn, who has been a relatively (as compared to Fields for certain) unknown prospect up till now. He's a TALL guy. I don't know if that's a function of being skinny (which he is) and tall, but he looks very tall in the shots I've seen. He also looks to have the frame to gain weight with broad shoulders. All that to say, if he's an athletic guy with "arm talent" (channeling my best Todd McShay) AND he's going to land around 6'4"/220 lbs., I'd sign up for that all day.

15 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

First Tyler transfers and now Woody. What's "really" going on.

No play...No stay.  Simple as that.

36 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

The food was bad really bad

47 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Ask the Russians

That's maybe slightly unfair to Tyler. He was hurt almost his entire time at Auburn. Who knows what he would've been but for injury? At the time we offered him, I don't think many (if any) people thought it was a mistake.

Still, they left because neither guy was going to play.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Ask the Russians

From one bird to another, good one.

All I know is Mr. Bohanon tweeted (Now deleted) that AU was his dream school once he received an offer. That peeved a lot of my local Arkansas friends off. That in itself puts him high on my list lol

I would like to hear someone's informed opinion on C Littlejohn.  4+ TD/game.  That is ridiculous over the course of a season.   Looks like a lot of throws in the highlight were off balance.  Scares me and reminds me S White a bit.  Big difference though - he can see over the line or mostly....I liked a couple of the timing patterns, but I am a fan, no expert by any means.  Couldn't see much of the ball rotation on the longer passes.... ???  And noted above - he has a frame that will fill out.  6'4" and he runs very smoothly.

Anyone care to watch is highlights?

My evaluations off of their film are as follows ranking in order as well.

Emory Jones - Tall and lean not as fast as you would think on the football field.  Strong arm, very accurate, throws a very catchable ball, understands touch and trajectory for ball placement.  Needs to add weight and shorten his arm motion.  He can also complete passes with pressure in his face.

Justin Fields - Great frame and could play around 6-3 225.  Runs more then Jones does.  Has strong arm but not as accurate as Jones.  Footwork needs improving but his OL puts him in bat throwing stances, needs to work on touch passes.  Throwing motion is nice.

Cordell Littlejohn - Nice frame. Needs to add weight.  Another strong armed QB maybe not as strong as Fields/Jones but throws a very nice ball.  Can tell he's a competitor on the field.  Can run but looks to pass first.  Longer throwing motion but not as long as Jones.  Accurate and has good ball placement but not as high level as Jones.  

Jarren Williams - Smaller then any listed here.  6' 1" maybe.  Football player that plays QB.  Decent arm and getting better as he progresses as a QB.  Good speed.  Deserves his 3 star rating.  Probably could play another position if beat out by another QB.  

Gerry Bohanon - Right size and build.  Looks like a High School defensive end playing QB.  Decent ball skills and decent arm strength.  More of a run first kind of QB.  Doesn't have the throwing skills of the ones above.  Athlete playing QB.  Add to that the competition he plays against is absolutely horrible.  

I also think I would touch base with Jack West as we pass more his interest may increase.  Plus Stanford is still shopping around for QBs in this class I think Jack should be shopping as well.  

Archived