2018 QB recruiting

ellitor

1 minute ago, AU Is Gold said:

What were the reasons for not recruiting Jonah as hard as we should have? Not to dwell on the past...

14 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I heard it was more that we didn't feel like we had a real shot after his visit to bama on his south tour

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

E nailed it. The reasons given were we weren't sold on him at OT because of arm length and height etc. We see as he is a pre sec player and playing LT for the number one team in the country ATM that he obviously is an OT. Kid loved bama have no clue why but he did. Funny because both my parents AU grads and there is no way they would have let me visit bama. Or at least they wouldn't have come with me. Also I pretty much know they wouldn't have signed the LOI lol.

7 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

That's it? Must have really did a number on him at Men's Warehouse.

I don't know that 23 would confirm it but Grimes was having health issues at the time & there was talk Grimes was not going after Jonah as much as would have because it his health. Jonah lived in Cali FWIW.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don't know that 23 would confirm it but Grimes was having health issues at the time & there was talk Grimes was not going after Jonah as much as would have because it his health. Jonah lived in Cali FWIW.

E is also correct with this. JB very good coach lousy recruiter. Kind of like our new db coach. Edit GB is not as bad as JB but he will not come close to WM or TR recruiting wise. However we realized after he visited bama and committed we no longer stood a shot and we realized before he visited they were going to be the pick. We still should have stayed after him and while we did stay in touch we didn't go hard enough after him.

5 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

We have a plan for the OL. We have 2 players capable of all SEC and 1 of All American. Getting the kid from FSU was big. We really need Tega to step up and take over an OT spot imo. James is a great run blocker and improved pass protection but he will be holding down JS blind side if he gets the nod at LT. My personal starting 5 would be Tega and LT and James at RT with Bell and Smith at the OG and AG at C. Now we have promised Braden a shot at the starting OT spot. Well a little more we told him he would go into fall camp as starting OT. I think he is a stud OG though. Now my lineup is based on Tega being ready which is questionable atm. Right now we are looking at James and Smith at OT Bell and Horton with AG. If Dunn can handle the OC spot we also could put AG at LT and Smith or James at RT with then the OG would be Smith or James and Horton or Bell. I see AG being the OC though as it is a very important position for our offense. Saying all that the 5 starters will be Smith James Horton Bell and AG imo. That's 3 seniors and 2 others in James and Horton who have played.  Right now we are finding the best fit for these guys. We have the experience and the talent on the OL. I see where you are coming from with the questions as imo both Smith and James are better suited as OG. One more wildcard which I believe is a Longshot atm will Ashley be ready to take over as a true freshman.

Good lord I hope it isn't a cluster like you describe.  They got about a week to figure this out in fall camp and get chemistry, cohesion, and time to gel before the Clemson game.  Clemson's D-line ain't gonna play around and GM/HH best get it right.

Aside from that, what's the scoop on promising Braden an OT shot?  We more worried about his draft prospects than the best fit for our O-line?  I say that tongue in cheek, but it does seem strange.

51 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Good lord I hope it isn't a cluster like you describe.  They got about a week to figure this out in fall camp and get chemistry, cohesion, and time to gel before the Clemson game.  Clemson's D-line ain't gonna play around and GM/HH best get it right.

Aside from that, what's the scoop on promising Braden an OT shot?  We more worried about his draft prospects than the best fit for our O-line?  I say that tongue in cheek, but it does seem strange.

Whoa u took that the wrong way. Braden was told he would be entering the spring as the starter at OT. This would have been the case draft or no draft. He was the best man for the job entering spring. He is a solid OT I just believe he is an All American OG. They did not guarentee he would be the starter when the season started. He will be very good at OT but i believe he will be 1st team All American at OG. He will play where he is needed and is the best spot for him to be playing for our team whether that be OT or OG.  I wasn't describing a cluster at all either.  I described what I would like to happen. I also described what could happen if a couple guys show they are ready to go. Then I described who the 5 best OL are currently and what position they would play if season started today. Remember we only lost Leff and Kozan from last year and Kozan was not the same after injury. We have a veteran OL and make no mistake it will not be a weakness but a strength. Also we have a week before the Clemson game which I am thankful for this year. 

6 hours ago, austudnt23 said:

Whoa u took that the wrong way. Braden was told he would be entering the spring as the starter at OT. This would have been the case draft or no draft. He was the best man for the job entering spring. He is a solid OT I just believe he is an All American OG. They did not guarentee he would be the starter when the season started. He will be very good at OT but i believe he will be 1st team All American at OG. He will play where he is needed and is the best spot for him to be playing for our team whether that be OT or OG.  I wasn't describing a cluster at all either.  I described what I would like to happen. I also described what could happen if a couple guys show they are ready to go. Then I described who the 5 best OL are currently and what position they would play if season started today. Remember we only lost Leff and Kozan from last year and Kozan was not the same after injury. We have a veteran OL and make no mistake it will not be a weakness but a strength. Also we have a week before the Clemson game which I am thankful for this year. 

I've seen from a number of AU people that Braden struggles in Pass Pro when he's playing tackle.Not enough lateral quickness for quality DEs.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

I've seen from a number of AU people that Braden struggles in Pass Pro when he's playing tackle.Not enough lateral quickness for quality DEs.

You are correct. This is why when I said I would prefer Tega winning the LT spot. And put James at RT.

4 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Sounds like we have a bunch of guards and no experienced tackles.

And it doesn't help much when the 5 star tackle you expected to come in and take the spot has an initial weigh in of 350 pounds.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

I've seen from a number of AU people that Braden struggles in Pass Pro when he's playing tackle.Not enough lateral quickness for quality 

He is an All American OG. James can handle one of the OT spots and I am hoping with Prince or Calvin win the other.  Or if Dunn could be a quality OC and out AG at LT but we saw how a OC that can't handle quality competition looked last year when Xavier got manhandled. We will see. I know we have alot of experience and we will have a solid group.

The only time I ever saw Dunn play, he more than handled his business against a very talented- if somewhat underachieving and still-adjusting- SEC defensive line. He was certainly far better than his counterpart on the other team that day (who, to be fair, was making his debut at the position). 

9 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

This discussion of the oline is good stuff. No condescending posts. No arguing. No name calling.

It's off topic though so let's get back on topic.

On 6/28/2017 at 6:16 PM, austudnt23 said:

We could go from being low on qb depth to set with JF committing. We r getting Bo next year. JS is just too good and works too hard for me to believe he doesn't have a huge year and projected 1st round pick. That's crazy after he will only have 1 full season as a starter similar to Cam except Cam had years spent at UF under UM and then a full year where he won a title in JC. It is not a given that JS goes pro after this year, but if he is as good as coaches and all expect it is likely. This is how good draft experts and our coaches think he can be. I know we are selling JF that he comes in and would be in competition to start right away and implying that JS could go pro. JS loves Auburn but if he is projected 1st round you can't turn it down. Also yes I expect SW to transfer after he graduates no matter what.

I've long said this as well when we got JS. SW is a good kid and has a lot of heart. Honestly, i'd be happy for him if he got to go somewhere as a graduate transfer and start for a team. 

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

This is my concern with James potentially at LT. I think he'll be solid but it does concern me considering we will be throwing the ball more. Can't afford to have JS get smashed blind sided. All in all i think our OL will be solid. I just hope we're able to figure out the right OL line up quickly. I'm all for moving or adding in guys where we have the best lineup; except for moving AG. I want AG as our C for sure. 

21 hours ago, ellitor said:

Can you provide some clarity about how our recruiting is structured? I thought coaches were assigned geographies but this makes it sound like it is done by the position coach. I've heard both versions. Any insight?  Thanks. 

Even though James struggled at times last year he has a spring practice and upcoming fall, so imo he might be ready to go at LT position. I'd love to give him a chance!

14 hours ago, toddc said:

Even though James struggled at times last year he has a spring practice and upcoming fall, so imo he might be ready to go at LT position. I'd love to give him a chance!

I think he and others will be given a chance and hopefully the best man will win.

14 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Can you provide some clarity about how our recruiting is structured? I thought coaches were assigned geographies but this makes it sound like it is done by the position coach. I've heard both versions. Any insight?  Thanks. 

I don't think it's that rigid. I imagine that kids first talk to their geographical recruiter- you're probably right about that part- but then other coaches are involved as needed. It's probably not unheard of for a top flight recruit to request that their would-be position coach pay them a visit after that initial relationship is established. There was a similar knock on Tracy Rocker, although that has since been disputed. 

15 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Sorry. Just now seeing this. It just depends on the recruit & the strength of the recruiting staff. Some are done by position, others done by land area & position, & still others by position, land area, & strongest recruiter. For example, I have seen T-Will's name floated around as helping to recruit targets that aren't his position or in his land area the past couple of months.

15 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

except for moving AG. I want AG as our C for sure. 

Even if Dunn is as good or better? That seems short sighted given AG has the versatility to play 2-3 other OL positions well.

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Even if Dunn is as good or better? That seems short sighted given AG has the versatility to play 2-3 other OL positions well.

I differ. I value chemistry, knowledge of the offense and experience more in this situation. I don't consider AG better at OG than C. I think that was seen last year when X was considered better than AG at C but clearly AG was the better fit. Granted he may have adjusted given more time at OG but I'd prefer AG at C. Not saying it's a dramatic drop off with him at G but given his experience at the spot and knowing our offense; that's my preference to keep him at C. I don't mind moving around the others b/c they're more versatile IMO. If it ain't broke...don't fix it. Especially at the C spot. No need to over think things. 

Archived