2018 QB recruiting

ellitor

Do we get a vote?   Nah...prob not.  

thanks for the eval CoachJay....  seems like Jones or Littlejohn  would nice.  Where did I leave that genie lamp?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Neither should have been offered to play QB at AU. 

You think TQ was a dud before his shoulder injury his Jr high school year?... which happened after he committed to AU. He was putting up pretty good numbers before then & his arm looked pretty strong.

21 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Neither should have been offered to play QB at AU. 

Queen has been addressed above but that leaves me curious: Is this 20-20 hindsight or were you against signing Barrett from the get-go? I read these recruiting posts regularly and the only person who I recall having reservations about Barrett was @augolf1716. Golf said he was talented but raw. Every other poster seemed excited about AU signing a big, strong, 4* QB prospect. Is this just another chance to take a pot-shot at Gus or do you have some links to your two year-old posts saying signing Barrett was a big mistake and he wasn't going to work out?

Since I'm all about fairness on this thread, in fairness to WDE, this statement could be made in hindsight without being a pot-shot at Gus. For example, I'd say we should've offered Lamar Jackson to play QB at Auburn. That's not a shot at Gus or Rhett. No one (Bobby Petrino included) saw Jackson becoming what he was last year, but clearly, we should've offered the guy. I think it's equally clear as we look back that Queen and Barrett weren't up to snuff (possibly for very different reasons on each guy). I agree though that I don't recall many naysayers for either guy at the time we offered or signed them.

• 1 month later...

I read a couple of these ideas, but I don't think in a cumulative fashion:

JS has a great year and improves his current draft projection, then goes.  That means we had a great year!  

SW decides to transfer to ensure he plays a full season ( I know I read this and unlikely if JS leaves ).  

MW develops quickly and shows promise, leading to SW to transfer.

this leaves:

JG & MW only

Who else are we recruiting?  I know JF, but anyone else?

I hate to think our depth is MW and JG...then maybe PN (2019).  Sorry BN.  Old timer syndrome.  

Not what I am hoping for...maybe I am getting greedy.  For me, M Willis was a great surprise and looked crazy good at A Day. Especially for his experience.  Geesh.

WDE and "Beat them all!"

5 hours ago, Beaker said:

this leaves:

JG & MW only

Who else are we recruiting?  I know JF, but anyone else?

As has been said before, Chip is looking at other QBs. We just likely won't publicly know who they are til Fields makes his commitment. And Sean transferring even if Jarrett goes pro is more likely than you think per 23.

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

As has been said before, Chip is looking at other QBs. We just likely won't publicly know who they are til Fields makes his commitment. And Sean transferring even if Jarrett goes pro is more likely than you think per 23.

Thanks.....wow.   If I was Chip, I wouldn't sleep at night.   

So close to years of quality depth plus intangibles along with so many unknown variables.  

WDE

If we do sign 2 QB's for the 2018 class, then that tells me we'll only 1 sign QB for the 2019 class. I feel that 1 QB will be Bo Nix.

3 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

If we do sign 2 QB's for the 2018 class, then that tells me we'll only 1 sign QB for the 2019 class. I feel that 1 QB will be Bo Nix.

thank-you-captain-obvious.jpg

7 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Image result for faint meme

1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

Brilliance abound. 

Damn! Now I wish I used this...

6 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Your very welcome. I knew y'all would be going nuts in wondering so that's why I'm here to help.

You are always a good sport with the ribbing and a true Auburn fan... albeit a negative one most of the time.

What is Cordell Littlejohn doing this summer?  

Camp-wise and such?   

Throws off balance A LOT, but 50TD, 6 picks?  Throws from the pocket fairly well (fan's view).  Seems farther along than Malik in HS and I love how he looked in the A Day game.  I think with a year at Auburn he would physically mature into a very very nice QB or other if Bo N comes.   Have always liked this player.  

6 minutes ago, Beaker said:

What is Cordell Littlejohn doing this summer?  

Camp-wise and such?   

No clue. There's been very little on him since the article in the OP. Only offer remain Illinios & Tulane.

Just now, ellitor said:

No clue. There's been very little on him since the article in the OP.

Looks like he only has a couple of mid level offers.  I suspect there is something amiss here (grades, coachability, something) .   Maybe he picked BB to focus on.  I think he is being overlooked b/c he is skinny or something.  Wish we knew.

We could go from being low on qb depth to set with JF committing. We r getting Bo next year. JS is just too good and works too hard for me to believe he doesn't have a huge year and projected 1st round pick. That's crazy after he will only have 1 full season as a starter similar to Cam except Cam had years spent at UF under UM and then a full year where he won a title in JC. It is not a given that JS goes pro after this year, but if he is as good as coaches and all expect it is likely. This is how good draft experts and our coaches think he can be. I know we are selling JF that he comes in and would be in competition to start right away and implying that JS could go pro. JS loves Auburn but if he is projected 1st round you can't turn it down. Also yes I expect SW to transfer after he graduates no matter what.

20 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

We could go from being low on qb depth to set with JF committing. We r getting Bo next year. JS is just too good and works too hard for me to believe he doesn't have a huge year and projected 1st round pick. That's crazy after he will only have 1 full season as a starter similar to Cam except Cam had years spent at UF under UM and then a full year where he won a title in JC. It is not a given that JS goes pro after this year, but if he is as good as coaches and all expect it is likely. This is how good draft experts and our coaches think he can be. I know we are selling JF that he comes in and would be in competition to start right away and implying that JS could go pro. JS loves Auburn but if he is projected 1st round you can't turn it down. Also yes I expect SW to transfer after he graduates no matter what.

Only thing I'm not sold on based on listening to this board is the OL. Sounds like all our OT's are either great run blockers only or they're just inexperienced. Hoping they solve that but if they don't, then I don't see Auburn maximizing Stidham's first round talent.

26 minutes ago, brad5628AU said:

Only thing I'm not sold on based on listening to this board is the OL. Sounds like all our OT's are either great run blockers only or they're just inexperienced. Hoping they solve that but if they don't, then I don't see Auburn maximizing Stidham's first round talent.

We have a plan for the OL. We have 2 players capable of all SEC and 1 of All American. Getting the kid from FSU was big. We really need Tega to step up and take over an OT spot imo. James is a great run blocker and improved pass protection but he will be holding down JS blind side if he gets the nod at LT. My personal starting 5 would be Tega and LT and James at RT with Bell and Smith at the OG and AG at C. Now we have promised Braden a shot at the starting OT spot. Well a little more we told him he would go into fall camp as starting OT. I think he is a stud OG though. Now my lineup is based on Tega being ready which is questionable atm. Right now we are looking at James and Smith at OT Bell and Horton with AG. If Dunn can handle the OC spot we also could put AG at LT and Smith or James at RT with then the OG would be Smith or James and Horton or Bell. I see AG being the OC though as it is a very important position for our offense. Saying all that the 5 starters will be Smith James Horton Bell and AG imo. That's 3 seniors and 2 others in James and Horton who have played.  Right now we are finding the best fit for these guys. We have the experience and the talent on the OL. I see where you are coming from with the questions as imo both Smith and James are better suited as OG. One more wildcard which I believe is a Longshot atm will Ashley be ready to take over as a true freshman.

1 hour ago, austudnt23 said:

One more wildcard which I believe is a Longshot atm will Ashley be ready to take over as a true freshman.

I would be surprised since he needs to lose 30-40 lbs. His HS coaches in Maryland weren't too good for him.

1 hour ago, brad5628AU said:

I think Stidham has such a quick release and is so dang accurate that if the coverage is not lasting,.  We will have plenty of quick screens and slants  for him to get rid of the ball without getting hit.    

45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I would be surprised since he needs to lose 30-50 lbs. His HS coaches in Maryland weren't too good for him.

I agree he is similar to Greg Robinson who came in out of shape. I would be surprised also but as far as OT based on talent alone he is the best we got. Alot more than talent is involved in being an OT in college though. Bama had Jonah Williams come in and was a stud at OT last year but I believe he enrolled early. That one still stings since he was technically a legacy. We didn't push as hatd as we shold have with him. The old arm length was used but I heard it was more that we didn't feel like we had a real shot after his visit to bama on hid south tour to his maon 3 UGA us and bama. Bama also had Cam Robinson start as true freshman. This can work when u have alot of experienced players around them which we do have but like E said he is out of shape and came in heavy. I say he needs to get around 330 he is 345 now fwiw not 350. I very seriously doubt he starts it was just a scenario.

39 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

I think Stidham has such a quick release and is so dang accurate that if the coverage is not lasting,.  We will have plenty of quick screens and slants  for him to get rid of the ball without getting hit.    

We will throw alot of screens we always have but we are making a priority to stretch the field with the offense CL brought. The route tree and passing game has been drastically upgraded.  Along with our qb coaching. I still think Gus is a good maybe great head coach but his offense was figured out and he didnt adapt. Gus run offense scheme wise etc is very good imo.

11 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

I agree he is similar to Greg Robinson who came in out of shape. I would be surprised also but as far as OT based on talent alone he is the best we got. Alot more than talent is involved in being an OT in college though. Bama had Jonah Williams come in and was a stud at OT last year but I believe he enrolled early. That one still stings since he was technically a legacy. We didn't push as hatd as we shold have with him. The old arm length was used but I heard it was more that we didn't feel like we had a real shot after his visit to bama on hid south tour to his maon 3 UGA us and bama. Bama also had Cam Robinson start as true freshman. This can work when u have alot of experienced players around them which we do have but like E said he is out of shape and came in heavy. I say he needs to get around 330 he is 345 now fwiw not 350. I very seriously doubt he starts it was just a scenario.

What were the reasons for not recruiting Jonah as hard as we should have? Not to dwell on the past...

Archived