2018 QB recruiting

ellitor

What about 4* Brevin White (Princeton committ). If memory serves he was high on Auburn but got caught up in the whole JF and few others thing. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stand behind my Cordell Littlejohn choice from last spring.   He kinda reminds me of M Willis on our team now:  under the radar, not 100% polished, hence P5 schools are not on him and he is not committed.  Crazy junior year then moved to GA.

Great size (6'4"  200) and range with his passes.  Extends plays, can take a hit.  Two nights ago it looks like he ran about 175 yds from looking at the highlights.  Playing for Roswell this year it appears.

Senior highlights and last Fri night is here  junior highlights are big passing highlights.

Threw for 3500 yds last year, but way off pace this year (moved from NC to GA).  As I said, under the radar - definitely a diamond in the rough).   I think new coach, new school, new competition, etc are huge factors.

Unless he can't get through admissions, this kid is playing somewhere on Saturday.  

30 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I stand behind my Cordell Littlejohn choice from last spring.   He kinda reminds me of M Willis on our team now:  under the radar, not 100% polished, hence P5 schools are not on him and he is not committed.  Crazy junior year then moved to GA.

Great size (6'4"  200) and range with his passes.  Extends plays, can take a hit.  Two nights ago it looks like he ran about 175 yds from looking at the highlights.  Playing for Roswell this year it appears.

Senior highlights and last Fri night is here  junior highlights are big passing highlights.

Threw for 3500 yds last year, but way off pace this year (moved from NC to GA).  As I said, under the radar - definitely a diamond in the rough).   I think new coach, new school, new competition, etc are huge factors.

Unless he can't get through admissions, this kid is playing somewhere on Saturday.  

I would recruit him based on his name alone.  I mean who doesn't enjoy saying Cordell Littlejohn?

33 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Alright Beaker, I’m sold. Especially if it’s projecting that JS will return.

So soes Littlejohn's "NR" mean he's not even a 1 star or does it have some other mysterious significance like not enough major analysts have seen him play etc?

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

So soes Littlejohn's "NR" mean he's not even a 1 star or does it have some other mysterious significance like not enough major analysts have seen him play etc?

I think NR means not rated. So, I would guess none of the rating services have looked at him. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

12 hours ago, wildlife alumni said:

I think NR means not rated. So, I would guess none of the rating services have looked at him. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Rivals says 3* or did last week.

hit the kid's junior highlights then watch his last Friday night's highlights.  He oozes with potential and has a better throwing motion than Malik Willis.   And the kid can take a hit.  Honestly, with some solid nutrition and conditioning, he could develop into a Joey G type of profile.  

I think it's concerning given that it's October and we're discussing a plan B......no offense to JG....talented but also raw.  Just seems in a QB driven offense...we would be attracting some top tier talent.  I guess we're attracting them...just not signing and/or keeping them here.   Not stirring the pot here but I thought would be doing a lot  better in this area under Gus. And I realize JS is a 5 star....transfer.

16 minutes ago, SouthGATiger said:

I think it's concerning given that it's October and we're discussing a plan B......no offense to JG....talented but also raw.  Just seems in a QB driven offense...we would be attracting some top tier talent.  I guess we're attracting them...just not signing and/or keeping them here.   Not stirring the pot here but I thought would be doing a lot  better in this area under Gus. And I realize JS is a 5 star....transfer.

Until Gus develops a high school success story he'll likely have problems in this area.

8 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Until Gus develops a high school success story he'll likely have problems in this area.

This I don't get. Cam, Nick Marshall and now Stidham have improved dramatically under Gus's development. The first two left here much, much better QB's than they were when they came. Stidham is improving weekly. You take 'em where you find 'em. High school or transfer, does that really matter anywhere except on this message board?

And I was wondering which of our QBs might go to the NFL after this year....is Gus hiding someone from us? 

55 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This I don't get. Cam, Nick Marshall and now Stidham have improved dramatically under Gus's development. The first two left here much, much better QB's than they were when they came. Stidham is improving weekly. You take 'em where you find 'em. High school or transfer, does that really matter anywhere except on this message board?

This is an argument that no one will ever win because you just can't gauge QB developement objectively.  But I think most will say Gus didn't develop those guys much at all. and that is why he only has success with guys who have developed their skills already. Stidham appears to only continue that tradition. 

But again no way to gauge this so it's only an opinion. I'm hoping with see more QB developement now that chip is hear. I haven't been impressed by the developement of QBs at AU to this point

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

To say that's debatable is putting it kindly. 

11 hours ago, SouthGATiger said:

I guess we're attracting them...just not signing and/or keeping them here.   Not stirring the pot here but I thought would be doing a lot  better in this area under Gus. And I realize JS is a 5 star....transfer.

This....and top tier RBs  -   I wish we could recruit these two skill positions.  

QBing is so so difficult to gauge how successful they can be in college and ofc the pros. 

With Gus, we have recruited for the most part DT QBs, who have been very good runners and adequate passers. Cam was a much better runner at first. Marshall could pass well but it was his ability to run that made him successful. So, unless they are a Cam, they are not going to make it in the NFL.

But look at even Saban. top QB recruits, in a Pro style offense, and he has NONE in the NFL except for McCarron, and he is looking to be a long time backup. So did he not develop his QBs? 

So, I dont look at if Gus has developed his QB, i think it is more of have the QBs developed with their own mental and physical skills? There are QBs Gus has had that got better under him. Todd, Newton, Marshall, and now Stidham.

30 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

But look at even Saban. top QB recruits, in a Pro style offense, and he has NONE in the NFL except for McCarron, and he is looking to be a long time backup. So did he not develop his QBs? 

So, I dont look at if Gus has developed his QB, i think it is more of have the QBs developed with their own mental and physical skills? There are QBs Gus has had that got better under him. Todd, Newton, Marshall, and now Stidham.

saban might only have 1 currently in the NFL, but almost every one of his QBs at bama got drafted. 

As for the guys named in the 2nd paragraph, I would agree that they improved about as much as you would expect them to in just about any offense that wasn't/isn't completely dysfunctional. I do believe that if Gus were left to his own devices, Stidham would be regressing and not improving. I believe that Chip Lindsey deserves any credit due for Stidham's progress beyond what is natural as a player gains experience in a system and in live games. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

saban might only have 1 currently in the NFL, but almost every one of his QBs at bama got drafted. 

As for the guys named in the 2nd paragraph, I would agree that they improved about as much as you would expect them to in just about any offense that wasn't/isn't completely dysfunctional. I do believe that if Gus were left to his own devices, Stidham would be regressing and not improving. I believe that Chip Lindsey deserves any credit due for Stidham's progress. 

I think it is not so much Gus is a QB coach who knows how to develop his QBs in the passing game. I never thought that, but it is up to him to bring in the OC/QB coach that can develop QBs. Ofc, Gus, who's staple is the run game, is to me, simply a proficient offensive schemer who knows how to run the ball.

I never felt LAshlee was the top of the line OC/ QB coach, but he was here because he knew Gus' offense well, and did know the QB position.

p.s. getting drafted means nothing to me, unless they are a 1st or 2nd rounder. His QBs simply were drafted mainly as someone with potential because they fit the mold of a pro style QB...doesn't mean he developed them into NFL qbs...

17 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think it is not so much Gus is a QB coach who knows how to develop his QBs in the passing game. I never thought that, but it is up to him to bring in the OC/QB coach that can develop QBs. Ofc, Gus, who's staple is the run game, is to me, simply a proficient offensive schemer who knows how to run the ball.

I never felt LAshlee was the top of the line OC/ QB coach, but he was here because he knew Gus' offense well, and did know the QB position.

Agree.

p.s. getting drafted means nothing to me, unless they are a 1st or 2nd rounder. His QBs simply were drafted mainly as someone with potential because they fit the mold of a pro style QB...doesn't mean he developed them into NFL qbs...

Agree to disagree. If a guy can get drafted just for fitting the mold of a pro style QB, then Chris Todd would have gotten a call. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

As for the guys named in the 2nd paragraph, I would agree that they improved about as much as you would expect them to in just about any offense that wasn't/isn't completely dysfunctional. I do believe that if Gus were left to his own devices, Stidham would be regressing and not improving. I believe that Chip Lindsey deserves any credit due for Stidham's progress beyond what is natural as a player gains experience in a system and in live games. 

Need to check those facts on nearly all QB's being drafted.

Wilson -undrafted

Mceleroy- 7th round

Sims- undrafted

Coker- undrafted

So including McCarron 2 out of 5 drafted

7 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Need to check those facts on nearly all QB's being drafted.

Wilson -undrafted

Mceleroy- 7th round

Sims- undrafted

Coker- undrafted

So including McCarron 2 out of 5 drafted

Didn't realize Wilson and Coker were UFAs. Still a much better track record than Gus's. 2 guys drafted and 2 UFAs vs 1 guy drafted and nobody else even remotely sniffing pro ball. 

Hopefully Stid narrows that disparity and we can credit Gus for making a great hire and enabling said hire to succeed. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Didn't realize Wilson and Coker were UFAs. Still a much better track record than Gus's. 2 guys drafted and 2 UFAs vs 1 guy drafted and nobody else even remotely sniffing pro ball. 

Hopefully Stid narrows that disparity and we can credit Gus for making a great hire and enabling said hire to succeed. 

I would have thought Wilson and Coker would have been drafted before Ginger,

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Gus should be able to get almost any JUCO QB he wants...he's shown he can take those guys and make them stars.  He's earned it and done a great job with that.  But how do you sustain success that way?  It's very hard and you have to spend 2-3X the effort recruiting more guys more often as they're gone from your program after 1 or 2 years as opposed to 3-5 years.  It's very hard to sustain which led to him wrecking the QB position twice (after Cam and after Nick).  Gatewood is great and all, but we're having this discussion b/c Gus missed out on another 5 star stud HIGH SCHOOL qb.  He's going to have to show he can have success with HS QBs before the elite 5 stars trust him.

@McLoofus, I feel like you’re taking back a me approach on this one. Saban hasn’t put QBs in the NFL. That’s one knock (one minor knock) against him. It’s largely impossible to argue that in twice as much time (2007-16 compared to 2009-11, 2013-16) producing  a 7th rounder and a 5th rounder is a “much better track record” than producing the first overall pick and no one else. I’ll take quality over marginally more quantity on that one. 

Saban is amazing, but he doesn’t do this well. And just because Gus does this as well as Saban doesn’t mean he delevelops QBs well. Personally, I think this “knock” on Gus is totally overblown and rooted entirely in Jeremy Johnson, but that’s a different discussion. Neither Gus nor Saban consistently develop NFL draft-worthy QBs. 

2 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

@McLoofus, I feel like you’re taking back a me approach on this one. Saban hasn’t put QBs in the NFL. That’s one knock (one minor knock) against him. It’s largely impossible to argue that in twice as much time (2007-16 compared to 2009-11, 2013-16) producing  a 7th rounder and a 5th rounder is a “much better track record” than producing the first overall pick and no one else. I’ll take quality over marginally more quantity on that one. 

Saban is amazing, but he doesn’t do this well. And just because Gus does this as well as Saban doesn’t mean he delevelops QBs well. Personally, I think this “knock” on Gus is totally overblown and rooted entirely in Jeremy Johnson, but that’s a different discussion. Neither Gus nor Saban consistently develop NFL draft-worthy QBs. 

Well, one must take the "twice as long" part out of it, because saban has had several multi-year starters. He only had 3 starters in his first 7 seasons. All 3 of them ended up on an NFL roster at some point. Then came Sims, who only started for 1 year and didn't get into the NFL, but he was the SECCG MVP. Then Coker won a national championship. Since then it's been Hurts, and he's been doing pretty well I'd say. 

Is saban "developing" these guys? Probably not. But is he consistently putting them in position to succeed? Absolutely. Yes, he's obviously surrounded them with a historically high level of talent, but his QBs have played at a very high level themselves. Most importantly, he hasn't had any busts. 

That's where Gus gets his rep. He has overseen a *lot* of *really* bad QB play. 2011, 2015 and much of 2016 were all atrocious. That's not just Jeremy Johnson. Whether it's procurement, development or a combination of the two, Gus runs hot or cold and there's no in between. Every year we think we've got a couple guys we can count on. Half the time we don't even have one, and it turns out we've never had two. If Malik pans out, this season will be the first. When we fail to field even an adequate QB that often, we've got a coaching problem. 

Archived