Rule on Touching Home Plate

8 hours ago, MDM4AU said:

I have a feeling Murphy was trying to get her to come back without making a scene but gave himself away anyway. 

Actually it looks like he has what amounts to a "Touch Home" coach. She was the one in white at the corner of the celebration. From the moment the runner jumped over home plate she was trying to get the runner to touch home but she was drowned out because of the celebration and was the one who eventually grabbed the runner & turned her around to touch home..

14 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Since she was still on the field she can return and touch the base.  It's pretty common for the umpire to give the catcher the ball in that situation and fortunately for the catcher (if she didn't know already that she missed the base), she saw the runner coming back to the plate and just tagged her.  It could be she knew already or it could have been just a hunch since the player came back.   Very hard to know given the players that surround home in those situations. 

The catcher could be seen earlier in the video addressing the umpire and pointing to the plate - it's pretty quick.  I don't think it's coincidental that Hemphill is called out immediately after Syrett tags her.  But wouldn't she have been out due to interference when the coach in white (Alyson Habetz) touches her?  Maybe the ump couldn't or didn't see that.

As soon as the umpire gave the ball to the catcher, the appeal can be made.  From the NCAA rule book, notice Rule 7.1.2.2.3:

7.1.2 Appeals may be made when the ball is live or dead. After a request by a player or coach, the umpire may solicit needed information from other members of the crew before ruling on the appeal. 

7.1.2.1 Live-ball appeal: 
    7.1.2.1.1 A live-ball appeal is made by touching the base the runner missed or left before a fly ball was first touched or by tagging the runner who committed the violation, provided she is still on the playing field, and indicating to the umpire         what is being appealed (if necessary). 
    7.1.2.1.2 Runners may advance during the live-ball appeal play. 
    7.1.2.1.3 A live-ball appeal can be made after a play on a runner. 
    7.1.2.1.4 When the ball goes out of play, a live-ball appeal cannot be made. 

7.1.2.2 Dead-ball appeal: 
    7.1.2.2.1 Once the ball has been returned to the infield and time has been called or the ball has become dead, a coach or any fielder (with RULE 7 / APPEALS AND PROTESTS 69 or without the ball) may ask the umpire to make a decision on the appealed play. 
    7.1.2.2.2 Runners may not advance as the ball remains dead until the next pitch. 
    7.1.2.2.3 When the ball goes out of play, the dead-ball appeal cannot be made until the umpire places a new ball into the game. 
    7.1.2.2.4 If the pitcher has possession of the ball and is in contact with the pitcher’s plate when making a verbal appeal, no illegal pitch is called. 
    7.1.2.2.5 When “Play ball” has been declared by the umpire and the pitcher, coach or a fielder then requests an appeal, the umpire would again call “Time” and allow the appeal process.

20 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

The catcher could be seen earlier in the video addressing the umpire and pointing to the plate - it's pretty quick.  I don't think it's coincidental that Hemphill is called out immediately after Syrett tags her.  But wouldn't she have been out due to interference when the coach in white (Alyson Habetz) touches her?  Maybe the ump couldn't or didn't see that.

This is my ongoing question. As soon as she was "aided" to return to the plate, I would think she would be out. Guess I should scour the rule book and see what the rule is on touching baseruners, which I assume she would still be if she hadn't tagged home.

EDIT: Changed isn't to is in first sentence. 

Well, all I can find is rule 4.3.5 which just says a coach can't assist a runner while she is actively running and the ball is in play. So maybe the coach directing her back isn't a violation in this case. Either way, heads up play by OM I'm always in favor of a uat loss, especially one because of that type of play. 

2 hours ago, jared52 said:

This isn't my ongoing question. As soon as she was "aided" to return to the plate, I would think she would be out. Guess I should scour the rule book and see what the rule is on touching baseruners, which I assume she would still be if she hadn't tagged home.

From what I understand, there is a rule about player or coach interference during a dead ball play, i.e. a home run, and it's different from the same interference in a live ball situation. If a player or coach interferes with the runner before her trip is concluded (in this case, Hemphill's hadn't ended because she hadn't touched home), a warning is to be issued for a first offense. The difference between this play with the coach assisting her back to home plate and the play with Jade Rhodes in the WCWS last year is Jade's played happened in a live ball situation. 

12 hours ago, jared52 said:

Well, all I can find is rule 4.3.5 which just says a coach can't assist a runner while she is actively running and the ball is in play. So maybe the coach directing her back isn't a violation in this case. Either way, heads up play by OM I'm always in favor of a uat loss, especially one because of that type of play. 

Damn straight

Archived