Linebackers

corchjay

For whatever reasons I am not high on the linebackers this year.  Maybe it was just the A-Day game and adding in that D. Davis is up to around 250lbs.  Looked like even the starters were playing in mud.  Maybe that had something to do with the many different looks and passes the offenses were utilizing.  

Back to DeShaun and all of our LBs.  For their height 250 pounds seems pretty heavy.  There are 2 ways I've always seen linebackers play.  You either engage and fight off the block or you use speed and play around the blocker.  

I hope the DL plays as it did last year so the linebackers can play in space and move around.  The backers greatly benefited.  

Starters -

Tre Williams

DeShaun Davis

R. McBryde/M. Atkinson/D. Williams

New Comers -

KJ Britt

Chandler Wooten

TD Moultry ( could be a Buck but I expect him to start out at LB)

Overall a pretty good group but it has been forever since we have had an All-Sec linebacker.  Does that change this season?

Thoughts?

10 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I guess Tre Threat is now a Buck and not an LB?

Correct, although he is having a lot of rust to shake off.  Been inconsistent so far.

I had no problem with Davis gaining a little more muscle.  You don't have to lose speed if you add muscle, you just have to do it right.  I do think Williams is the starter over Atkinson and McBryde.  I am fairly confident they will use TD like they used Holland his freshman year.  He will be a pass rush threat in certain situations, but not much else with the depth the way it is and him not benefiting from Spring practice.  Very excited for him though.  He was essentially a 5* player, right on the cusp.  With a guy like Travis Williams at the helm though, I trust him to get his guys ready in time.  We need to keep that guy as long as we can.

8 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I guess Tre Threat is now a Buck and not an LB?

That's the last I heard. 

3 hours ago, corchjay said:

it has been forever since we have had an All-Sec linebacker.  Does that change this season?

No clue, but I can say that I haven't felt this good about our starting LBs in forever. I don't know if our unit will be in the top third of the conference, but I really don't think they'll be in the bottom third, and that counts for something. 

As for D. Davis's weight, he was in the mid 230s coming in, so another 10-15 lbs doesn't concern me too much if it's good weight. That is pretty stocky at 5'11, if that's his accurate height, but he was mobile enough last year and I don't think that's enough of a weight increase to significantly slow him down. Again, though, as long as it's good weight. And he's got all summer to cut if the coaches want him to. 

The jury should still out on this part of our team - they have potential & apparently talent but scratching my head a bit about frequent props they're receiving. 

5 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

The jury should still out on this part of our team - they have potential & apparently talent but scratching my head a bit about frequent props they're receiving. 

I'm there with you on this.  Sure they played better last year but they had 2 all-sec performers in front of them taking up a lot of attention.

The personnel, at least on paper, is better than it's been in years. However, I've yet to see much besides potential. Last year they were better than they were in several years but that's not saying much. The position had been an embarrassment for a long time. At least the LB's of 2016 were not an embarrassment. I do believe our last All-SEC LB was Josh Bynes in 2010.

No defense, including ours, can be dominant without exceptional LB play. If we want to move up, the LB situation must be addressed. The recruiting, at least numbers-wise, had finally improved. It's time to see something on Fall Saturdays.

As usual, I agree with @corchjay and @Mikey

Our LB play was much better last year, but the group hasn't impressed me much yet. 

IMHO, Tre has the most upside for 2017 (our best shot at All SEC).

I am intrigued by McBryde and Atkinson. And I am looking forward to seeing KJ and Wooten play. I have high hopes for all 4 of those guys.

I also think Moultry is our Buck of the future. 

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

As usual, I agree with @corchjay and @Mikey

Our LB play was much better last year, but the group hasn't impressed me much yet. 

IMHO, Tre has the most upside for 2017 (our best shot at All SEC).

I am intrigued by McBryde and Atkinson. And I am looking forward to seeing KJ and Wooten play. I have high hopes for all 4 of those guys.

I also think Moultry is our Buck of the future. 

He also has the most talent of the group.I think T-Will upgraded the talent with this freshman class and he will continue that trend and we will see continued overall improvement from the linebackers in the coming years.Excited about the future of our linebackers,can you tell I'm a T-Will fan?

49 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm told by someone very close to Moultry that he isn't going to be moved to Buck. Will be a LBer. 

Wouldn't hurt my feelings

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm told by someone very close to Moultry that he isn't going to be moved to Buck. Will be a LBer. 

Exactly where he needs to be. He'll be an All American LB by his senior season. 

5-star T.D. Moultry: Auburn’s 2017 LB class aiming for first Butkus winner in program history

Justin Ferguson - SEC Country

Auburn football signed one of its best-ever linebacker classes this year. And the trio of T.D. Moultry, K.J. Britt and Chandler Wooten have matched that lofty status with an even loftier goal.

Moultry said the three blue-chippers want to be the first in program history to win the Butkus Award, which is given annually to the nation’s best linebacker.

“We want to start something new,” Moultry told SEC Country. “I think Chandler would say the same thing. K.J. and I both said we want to win a Butkus Award, because no linebacker at Auburn has ever got that award. And there have been some great linebackers there. We want to make history and try to get that.”

Auburn hasn’t had many contenders all-time for the Butkus Award, which was created in 1985. Former Auburn High School star Reuben Foster won the 2016 award at Alabama. The Crimson Tide have had three all-time — Foster, C.J. Mosley (2013) and Derrick Thomas (1988).

Moultry grew up an Alabama fan and pulled for some of the best to play the position in Tuscaloosa. His goal is for Auburn linebackers to reach that level while he’s on the Plains.

“I’m trying to start something new and make my own foundation instead of doing what everybody expected me to do,” Moultry said. “I’m just trying to beat the odds.”

I love TD's thought process but I hate individual goals.  How about having a goal of getting better each day, being a team leader, doing the little things, being a better student, things outside of the team that can make him a better person?  

Anywho, go get 'em TD!!

Count me as excited about the LB group. During the a-day game i noticed that when our LBs went to make tackles the guy with the ball actually went backwards occasionally. Meaning the LBs were actually coming up and playing with bad intensions. I think what we have lacked the last couple years has been a combo of talent and attitude at the LB position. Frost had all the talent in the world but he just didn't have the mind set to fill a hole and punish the RB. Others have had the mindset but couldn't quite make the plays like Cass (who i think would have been pretty good had he had some more help). I really think twill knows the attitude you have to have to be a successful LB and he is instilling that in his players. LB depth is a little questionable and we'll need young guys to fill spots and especially if we have injuries. But Davis and Williams make a formidable starting duo and i'm excited to see how the rest develop. LB is the heart of a defense and I think AU defense is about to have its heart back. 

11 hours ago, corchjay said:

I love TD's thought process but I hate individual goals.  How about having a goal of getting better each day, being a team leader, doing the little things, being a better student, things outside of the team that can make him a better person?  

Anywho, go get 'em TD!!

To be fair, I don't think it stated what the actual question was. He could've been prodded into that response a bit. He might've even been asked, "What are your individual goals?"

9 hours ago, gravejd said:

I really think twill knows the attitude you have to have to be a successful LB and he is instilling that in his players. 

Thank you, Joe Whitt SR.

Someone just mentioned Kris Frost and I honestly forgot he played for us. 

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Someone just mentioned Kris Frost and I honestly forgot he played for us. 

I am curious what Kris Frost is up to these days. I would assume playing on some scout NFL team?

19 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I am curious what Kris Frost is up to these days. I would assume playing on some scout NFL team?

I would assume flying around in an airplane somewhere; and I could have swore Holland won the Butkus award.

44 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I don't think he's in the NFL. Believe he's a pilot. 

6 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

I don't think he's in the NFL. Believe he's a pilot. 

Being a pilot is cool. Just watched Top Gun on Netflix last night for the first time in about 25 years.

Archived