***2018 4* LB Michael Harris Commits to Auburn!!!***

ellitor

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Plus Harris's High School coach has a rule for his players to commit & end their recruitment before their SR season.

I understand (and agree with) coaches have rules, but how in the heck can he dictate this? Seems way outside his control. He's not going to stop playing a kid who fails to commit before a season, especially if he's that good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I understand (and agree with) coaches have rules, but how in the heck can he dictate this? Seems way outside his control. He's not going to stop playing a kid who fails to commit before a season, especially if he's that good.

Totally agree. Plus, the coach has even less authority over him after the season is over when he can do whatever he wants. Plenty of time to decommit and commit to another school between signing day and the end of high school football season.

7 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

That's exactly how he can control it if he's stubborn enough to, at least til the kid commits.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Totally agree. Plus, the coach has even less authority over him after the season is over when he can do whatever he wants. Plenty of time to decommit and commit to another school between signing day and the end of high school football season.

Harris is an EE. He won't have much time to change his mind after his season is over. Add the dead period in there & you are looking at only about 2 weeks of contact available.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

That's exactly how he can control it if he's stubborn enough to, at least til the kid commits.

Not playing a star big enough to be wanted by several colleges (especially Power 5 colleges) seems like a good way to lose your job as a coach...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

Not playing a star big enough to be wanted by several colleges (especially Power 5 colleges) seems like a good way to lose your job as a coach...

I have no idea. I just know he's nowhere near the only successful HS coach that has that rule.

Just now, ellitor said:

I have no idea. I just know he's nowhere near the only successful HS coach that has that rule.

Oh, I can understand the rule: you don't want your star to be distracted from the season at hand, nor do you want him to be a distraction to the other players. It just seems like not playing the guy and losing to district foes would be a recipe for disaster in the community.

20 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

If the coach/program has instilled respect and discipline, then a player, no matter how good, will obey what the coach has put in place as a rule. Can he enforce it? Probably not, but then again he probably doesnt have to.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Rednilla said:

Oh, I can understand the rule: you don't want your star to be distracted from the season at hand, nor do you want him to be a distraction to the other players. It just seems like not playing the guy and losing to district foes would be a recipe for disaster in the community.

I honestly don't know what the punishment is. I just know a lot of successful coaches have that rule.

• Like 1

Every year Tucker HS has 3-6 power 5 recruits. The program is the best in talent rich DeKalb county and not only puts kids into power 5 programs but FCS and D2 programs as well. Kids want to play there, when kids want to go to your school such as is the case here you can put rules than 98% of HS in the country wouldn't be able to. The purpose of having these kids commit early is so they can focus on their HS TEAM and not be kid a distraction to not only the team but their own performance as well. I wish more coaches would be like Bryan Lamar (who I know and respect) and not allow the recruiting process to affect the overall success of the program. 

Also, I coached against Harris last season when he was at Lovejoy HS and in an all-star game in December and I think he's a very talented kid that would look good on the Plains.

Edited by AUinGA44
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If the coach/program has instilled respect and discipline, then a player, no matter how good, will obey what the coach has put in place as a rule. Can he enforce it? Probably not, but then again he probably doesnt have to.

Was looking for your answer. Thanks Bird

To add more to the super school deal like IMG.  Think the turds in tuscaloser wouldn't like to subsidize say... American Christian and start funneling players into there and have almost "constant" access to the program.  Of course all by the standards set by the NCAA *wink wink*.  

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

Personally, I wish high school football would step back.  Cut out the super schools like IMG.  Stop the out of state games.  No more ESPN Friday night lights stuff and let's these 15-18 year olds be hometown heros.  If they are good enough colleges will find them.  Just my opinion on that.  

That's truly a good sentiment but it loses money for the recruiting business & exposure for schools so it's not going to happen. Also ESPN doesn't just show super heavyweight schools. They will go where they believe talent is. For example they televised the Madison Academy-Leeds game Kerryon's SR year.

Edited by ellitor

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

That's truly a good sentiment but it loses money for the recruiting business & exposure for schools so it's not going to happen. Also ESPN doesn't just show super heavyweight schools. They will go where they believe talent is. For example they televised the Madison County-Leeds game Kerryon's SR year.

That would be Madison Academy not Madison County.  Sorry but MCHS has not yet had an alum play ball for AU.  At least not that I know of

• Like 1

Just now, ellitor said:

That's truly a good sentiment but it loses money for the recruiting business & exposure for schools so it's not going to happen. Also ESPN doesn't just show super heavyweight schools. They will go where they believe talent is. For example they televised the Madison County-Leeds game Kerryon's SR year.

Was a great game to.  I recorded and watched it later.  I'm very familiar with Leeds.  Huge loss losing Coach Ethridge to Pell City but that's what happens when politics take over.  Expect to see some major talent coming out of Pell City in the next 5-10 years because Keith puts 15 hours a day into his program.  Very solid fundamentals coach.

16 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Trust me as a high school coach unless you are at a big high school or a regularly playoff/championship type program it's just normal life.  The football factory high schools have much more to worry about but they also get paid and many don't have to teach.  

Personally, I wish high school football would step back.  Cut out the super schools like IMG.  Stop the out of state games.  No more ESPN Friday night lights stuff and let's these 15-18 year olds be hometown heros.  If they are good enough colleges will find them.  Just my opinion on that.  

That notion could be extrapolated to many corners of youth sports, it seems.

Lucky for young Mr. Harris and his family, it will all result in a chance for him to earn a degree.

9 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

That would be Madison Academy not Madison County.  Sorry but MCHS has not yet had an alum play ball for AU.  At least not that I know of

Point still applies. ESPN will show a small school if they believe talent is there.

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

All of them? 

I thought it was statewide or all the member of the Texas Coaches Association.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

I think the point is to get that out of the way over the summer so that he can focus on his HS teammates during the season. It makes sense, but yeah if a kid doesn't know yet, I'm sure he can shut it down during the season and pick it back up in December. 

43 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I think the point is to get that out of the way over the summer so that he can focus on his HS teammates during the season. It makes sense, but yeah if a kid doesn't know yet, I'm sure he can shut it down during the season and pick it back up in December. 

It's harder to do when a player is uncommitted. Schools will still come hard in that period.

Edited by ellitor

1 hour ago, lkeel75 said:

lol yes.  don't  confuse Madison academy with Madison county.