Schedule idea

AUwent

So as long as we have to keep divisions, keep traditional rivalries and we have to stay in the west, does anyone else think it'd be a good idea to swap when we play Georgia and LSU? LSU could in swap when it plays Arkansas. That way, we'd have a home game against a rival (one I wish could return to status as an arch rival) towards the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, AUwent said:

So as long as we have to keep divisions, keep traditional rivalries and we have to stay in the west, does anyone else think it'd be a good idea to swap when we play Georgia and LSU? LSU could in swap when it plays Arkansas. That way, we'd have a home game against a rival (one I wish could return to status as an arch rival) towards the end of the season.

Yes and you would think UGA would like to do it too because just like us with them & Bama their AU, GT games are at home the same year & the road the same year sandwiched by UK which usually not a big attraction late season game.

Just my perception, but it seems like we play a more physical game vs LSU and we are more knicked-up after the LSU game.  I am sure both are comparable, but their style of play seems to support the point. If I am right, that may not be a good swap.

I still think it is stupid we are in the west and MO is in the East.  I understand the assignments when MO and TAMU joined, but I wouldn't mind a realignment.  Also, the bama game is toxic.  It was a great rivalry in the 80's and 90's.  And the early 2000's, but the last 7-8 yrs have been more about off field hate b/c of our intermittent success.  

We just need to bite the bullet and play UGA in Athens 2 years in a row to get the schedule back how it was. Benefit both teams and they did play us back-to-back in JHS. 

I used to care about divisions but I don't really care anymore.  The conference is so big that eventually you're going to have to travel a great distance for an away game.  My only wish is that we would start Home and Away series with schools similar to ourselves, not the "State" school.  For instance... Miami, Pitt, NC State, Okie State, Michigan State, Utah/BYU (either one), Arizona State, and so on.  Just think the benefits are greater to increase their value as much as to increase our own.  

I'm just sick of it mattering what name is on the front of the jersey and not the accomplishments of the team.  You need to look no further then 2011 Bama in the MNC over Ok State and last year Ohio State over Penn State entering in the playoff.

5 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

We just need to bite the bullet and play UGA in Athens 2 years in a row to get the schedule back how it was. Benefit both teams and they did play us back-to-back in JHS. 

Conference schedules are determined by the SEC not by Auburn.  It was supposed to be swapped back in something like 2022 when it was first swapped if I remember correctly.

59 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Then that throws other parts of the conference off balance again. The whole point of the 2 times in a row earlier was to get the conference in better balance.

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Just my perception, but it seems like we play a more physical game vs LSU and we are more knicked-up after the LSU game.  I am sure both are comparable, but their style of play seems to support the point. If I am right, that may not be a good swap.

We'd still have a cupcake between LSU & Bama the years we would play them the 2nd week in November. I don't see LSU going fot it though. They would have to play Bama & us back to back weeks every other year. Yikes!

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Then that throws other parts of the conference off balance again. The whole point of the 2 times in a row earlier was to get the conference in better balance.

Alabama winning the SEC 3 years in a row' and 4 of the last 5 since the 2012 conference expansion is not 'balance'. ;)

Actually, it's just time to quit looking for excuses and whining about the schedule or the division Auburn is in. Auburn has played UGA for more than 100 years. I've never once heard an Auburn coach or player look for excuses.

Play winning football. Beat your opponents on your field or theirs, heat or cold, rain or searing sun, September or November. Man up. If you think every little thing in life ought to be "fair," you are in for a disappointment.

27 minutes ago, AURex said:

Actually, it's just time to quit looking for excuses and whining about the schedule or the division Auburn is in. Auburn has played UGA for more than 100 years. I've never once heard an Auburn coach or player look for excuses.

Play winning football. Beat your opponents on your field or theirs, heat or cold, rain or searing sun, September or November. Man up. If you think every little thing in life ought to be "fair," you are in for a disappointment.

Let me guess.  Older then 35?

The problem is that every permanent inter-division game has to be played at the west team's place on odd years for schedule balancing purposes--unless we move to nine games. See, I really dislike the idea of nine games because that really IS an imbalance--unless we can arrange five more neutral site series along with WLOCP and Ark-A&M.

I forgot about LSU and Alabama the week before, oops. I say just abolish the divisions and go with 3 permanents, 5 rotating opponents for two years, and then the other 5 the next two.

4 hours ago, corchjay said:

Conference schedules are determined by the SEC not by Auburn.  It was supposed to be swapped back in something like 2022 when it was first swapped if I remember correctly.

Yup aware of who sets the conf schedule. First I've ever heard mention any consideration to swap it back from the SEC. Jay's kicked around the topic but has yet to do anything about it so far. The current sitch has it's recruiting disadvantages and the absolute stank of even years for ticket holders. Time to do a little politicking to right the ship.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Not sure how that throws off the balance when the conf doesn't announce schedules but a year in advance. They can "shift" one or 2 other conf games around to balance it out. Hell, the current SEC teams were forced out of their norm to accept aTm and Mizzou so make them pay the scheduling piper.

My $.02

2 hours ago, AURex said:

While I agree with your sentiment, I don't think anyone was trying to make any excuses. 

This topic has been beat to death, but I imagine season ticket holders still have a gripe every other year. 

I don't want to swamp what time of year we play uga, kinda of like the Amen Corner aspect.  But would like it to go back that we play one of uga/bama at home, the other away in the same year.

16 hours ago, AURex said:

I like your style.

20 minutes ago, GBAU83 said:

I don't want to swamp what time of year we play uga, kinda of like the Amen Corner aspect.  But would like it to go back that we play one of uga/bama at home, the other away in the same year.

I too liked the Amen corner aspect, but we kinda lose out on that argument now that we stick a six inch gimme in the middle of it.

Ever since Missouri and A&M moved to the SEC, I've always thought and will continue to feel that Missouri should move to the west div then AU be moved to the east. We could still play UAT every year just like we play Georgia every season.

29 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Ever since Missouri and A&M moved to the SEC, I've always thought and will continue to feel that Missouri should move to the west div then be moved to the east. We could still play UAT every year just like we play Georgia every season.

Never going to happen.

I'm wondering how some people would feel about the East/West split if we were in the middle of our "Fear the other thumb" runs and had no problem getting Ws against Bama. Would there still be a faction of fans who felt like we should be in the East? Does anyone really care about geographical accuracy? Seems like being geographically correct in terms of being in East or West is kind of trivial. 

I get that the East is significantly easier right now. But these things are cyclical. Remember when you could win the West with a 5-3 conference record? That's when UGA, UF, and UT were all consistent national powers in the East. Eventually the pendulum will swing the other way and I imagine Mizzou fans will be like "WE SHOULD BE IN THE WEST!" when it happens lol

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'm wondering how some people would feel about the East/West split if we were in the middle of our "Fear the other thumb" runs and had no problem getting Ws against Bama. Would there still be a faction of fans who felt like we should be in the East? Does anyone really care about geographical accuracy? Seems like being geographically correct in terms of being in East or West is kind of trivial. 

I get that the East is significantly easier right now. But these things are cyclical. Remember when you could win the West with a 5-3 conference record? That's when UGA, UF, and UT were all consistent national powers in the East. Eventually the pendulum will swing the other way and I imagine Mizzou fans will be like "WE SHOULD BE IN THE WEST!" when it happens lol

Of course not. People just hate having uphill battles. I say suck it up buttercup and start beating whoever is on your schedule.

47 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Ever since Missouri and A&M moved to the SEC, I've always thought and will continue to feel that Missouri should move to the west div then be moved to the east. We could still play UAT every year just like we play Georgia every season.

But UA wouldn't be able to play us and UT every season.

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

Never going to happen.

Iff, however, Mizou would save some travel expenses, but

you're right - Never going to happen.

Just now, DAG said:

Of course not. People just hate having uphill battles. I say suck it up buttercup and start beating whoever is on your schedule.

I also think people are forgetting about the fact that we could potentially play Bama 2 times in 2 weeks if we both make the SECCG. I think somebody might die if that were to happen. Especially if we bring the brooms out and sweep them.

Archived