Thursday night games

gr82b4au

If it is for a small OOC team or an away game like MSU, Missouri, Kentucky, etc? I personally do not mind them but it kind of ruins the weekend plans. I think we generally fair pretty well in these games. 

Love it for away games or the first game of the season at home.  I get to watch the game and then chill out all day Saturday and watch other games or play golf.

25 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Love it for away games or the first game of the season at home.  I get to watch the game and then chill out all day Saturday and watch other games or play golf.

Agree with this. Also opens up a less stressful Saturday -- No AU game, doesn't give my significant other a chance to nag at me about being glued to the TV for a big chunk of the day (even though she KNEW what the deal was going in) , being able to watch our future opponents with a higher level of comfort, etc. So I don't really mind it in the middle of the season either. Nationally televised game when it's one of the only games on? I like the exposure. But only in the 1st half of the year before the NFL Thurs games start.

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

doesn't give my significant other a chance to nag at me about being glued to the TV for a big chunk of the day (even though she KNEW what the deal was going in)

HAH! Yes.

I'm cool with it. Way better than a noon game. 

I remember the Kansas State game being on a Thursday and I hated it because I had to cancel all my plans for that night. But not being stressed out the whole day Saturday is nice lol.

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Agree with this. Also opens up a less stressful Saturday -- No AU game, doesn't give my significant other a chance to nag at me about being glued to the TV for a big chunk of the day (even though she KNEW what the deal was going in) , being able to watch our future opponents with a higher level of comfort, etc. So I don't really mind it in the middle of the season either. Nationally televised game when it's one of the only games on? I like the exposure. But only in the 1st half of the year before the NFL Thurs games start.

Well the NFL is all year now for Thursday's.  I actually love the idea of playing the first game of the year on Thursday.  Then you are definitely not competing with the NFL (season starts a week later) and you get a couple of extra days of rest / film room time for Week 2.  South Carolina does it nearly every year.

Saturday is my preference but I don't mind a Thursday game occasionally if it could be the week prior to a rival game. It gives you a couple of extra recovery days plus extra prep time. Nothing wrong with having any advantage you can when playing someone like LSU for example. 

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well the NFL is all year now for Thursday's.  I actually love the idea of playing the first game of the year on Thursday.  Then you are definitely not competing with the NFL (season starts a week later) and you get a couple of extra days of rest / film room time for Week 2.  South Carolina does it nearly every year.

Ah I didn't realize they are doing Thursdays every week. Not a huge fan of that but more football to watch isn't necessarily a bad thing for me. A first game on Thursday this year would've come in handy to prep for Clemson, even though nobody would watch our game vs GA Southern lol

10 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Saturday is my preference but I don't mind a Thursday game occasionally if it could be the week prior to a rival game. It gives you a couple of extra recovery days plus extra prep time. Nothing wrong with having any advantage you can when playing someone like LSU for example. 

Excellent point. If we play Mizzou on Thursday this season, that lines up pretty well for us. After Mercer, so the short prep week shouldn't be much of an issue. And we might not *need* any extra days before MSU, but I'll take extra days before any division opponent if we can get them. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Excellent point. If we play Mizzou on Thursday this season, that lines up pretty well for us. After Mercer, so the short prep week shouldn't be much of an issue. And we might not *need* any extra days before MSU, but I'll take extra days before any division opponent if we can get them. 

Please don't jinx the Missouri game.  I already have tickets and a hotel room. If they move it to Thursday, I have to cancel.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Please don't jinx the Missouri game.  I already have tickets and a hotel room. If they move it to Thursday, I have to cancel.

:-X:(

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

I remember the Kansas State game being on a Thursday and I hated it because I had to cancel all my plans for that night. But not being stressed out the whole day Saturday is nice lol.

I was a student, so I loved it. Several teachers that I know of canceled their class so that we could go to Skybar or wherever to watch the game. 

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Every relationship ive ever been in, this is one of the 1st things i tell them. 

When i met my wife, I was lucky, she likes football as much as anyone from Oregon. I now have her in the South... and she is realizing just how little people from Oregon care about football. 

And to answer the question of the OP, I don't mind them, as long as it's not a big game. I have absolutely NO interest in big games being on Thursday. We have fared pretty well in Thursday games (9-2,) but those 2 losses make me weary of having big games on Thursday. Getting shut out by Virginia was tough and the West Virginia loss was just as bad...

I think it's a good idea following an off week.  That takes maximum advantage of the off week by allowing two additional days of preparation for the following weekend game.  If the following weekend is a tough one that could be critical.  

56 minutes ago, logan adams said:

I was a student, so I loved it. Several teachers that I know of canceled their class so that we could go to Skybar or wherever to watch the game. 

I had all my classes on m/w/f so that didn't effect me lol 

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

This X 10000.....They know in advance what they will be dealing with why BMW (bitch/moan/whine) after the fact?  

Makes me wish I'd had the foresight to execute a version of the Sheldon Cooper "Relationship Agreement" just to counteract my wife's selective amnesia.  :banghead"

I don't have a problem with us playing on Thursday night. It gives us 2 extra days to rest up and get ready for a stronger team the following Saturday.

15 minutes ago, keesler said:

This X 10000.....They know in advance what they will be dealing with why BMW (bitch/moan/whine) after the fact?  

Makes me wish I'd had the foresight to execute a version of the Sheldon Cooper "Relationship Agreement" just to counteract my wife's selective amnesia.  :banghead"

Might be drifting OT (for a change?), and my (by far!) better-half is/was an AU fan from the get-go, but

in a more general sense, she walked in, open-eyed, with confident expectations of making me all better after the fact.

Just now, AUinTLoosa said:

Might be drifting OT (for a change?), and my (by far!) better-half is/was an AU fan from the get-go, but

in a more general sense, she walked in, open-eyed, with confident expectations of making me all better after the fact.

Bless their hearts. And ours.

Archived