Healthy Expectations

corchjay

I just don't get into the moral superiority stuff like some folks.  I suppose for some it's a source of pride, and you can boast about the discipline being so great and poke out your chest on a message board and crow about your coach being a fine Christian family man.  (Hey, at least he's not Bobby Petrino, right?)

At the end of the day, the W-L record is the only thing that carries any weight.  I like to watch a well coached, properly prepared football team that knows their job and executes at a high level.  I like to see a coach walking the sidelines that knows what the hell he's doing.  Knows when to make adjustments on the cuff and doesn't look like he's running by the seat of his pants, lost in the wilderness making mind-boggling decisions during a game that causes me to grind my teeth and throw my drink all over the media room, with the wife yelling for me to settle down before I give myself a stroke and the dog and cat run out of the room for fear I'll drop kick one of them through the damn window. :banghead:

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, keesler said:

I just don't get into the moral superiority stuff like some folks.  I suppose for some it's a source of pride, and you can boast about the discipline being so great and poke out your chest on a message board and crow about your coach being a fine Christian family man.

Or maybe it has nothing to do with bragging and puffing one's chest out and just has to do with the fact that some people place sportsmanship above winning. Personally, I hated sports until I came to Auburn, and most of that had to do with fans who did things like throwing their drinks, cussing at players, and creating a very negative atmosphere around something that is supposed to be fun. I never understood the concept of hating someone because they were wearing a different color shirt than you were. 

I developed a love for football at Auburn because from the moment I set foot on campus (which happend to be A-Day), it was obvious that the team, and the majority of the fans, were all about winning and losing with class, being good sports, and being respectful to everyone (except maybe bama fans, but still more respectful than they are).

Incidentally, I find it interesting that you had to throw "Christian" in there when no one had mentioned it to this point... is that the source of your negativity, that you don't like the fact that our coach outwardly professes his beliefs?

22 minutes ago, keesler said:

At the end of the day, the W-L record is the only thing that carries any weight.

I just can't agree with this. I understand the argument, and I agree that we need more than just character-building, but if winning is the only thing that carries weight then why even have the players go to class?

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

I just can't agree with this. I understand the argument, and I agree that we need more than just character-building, but if winning is the only thing that carries weight then why even have the players go to class?

Players go to class hells bells.........we didn't back in the day

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Was it called something different in medieval times?

2 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Was it called something different in medieval times?

Damn tutors did it for us............I know I know can't do that anymore

14 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Are you sure it wasn't the Tudors?

On 5/5/2017 at 5:40 PM, Rednilla said:

Is this a rhetorical question? Since at least 1981, our football program has been on the level with every other football program that we compete with in terms of what the players are attending AU for.  For many, attending class is not the priority.

wde

On 5/5/2017 at 7:11 PM, augolf1716 said:

I was one of those "tudors" from 1982-1985.

wde

On 5/5/2017 at 4:40 PM, Rednilla said:

So they can stay eligible to keep winning.  Umm, Brent Fullwood...but he had used all his eligibility.

21 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

So they can stay eligible to keep winning.  Umm, Brent Fullwood...but he had used all his eligibility.

But if the goal is only to win, not to develop young men, then why not have the Power 5 schools break from the NCAA and simply have their own semi-pro teams? Why hold onto the illusion that college football is about anything more than winning?

6 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Is this a rhetorical question? Since at least 1981, our football program has been on the level with every other football program that we compete with in terms of what the players are attending AU for.  For many, attending class is not the priority.

wde

I understand there are different priorities, and I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I do believe that college football should be about more than just winning.

8 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

I was one of those "tudors" from 1982-1985.

wde

Thank You for your service.

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I understand there are different priorities, and I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I do believe that college football should be about more than just winning.

I believe the government should be all about the betterment of the people, but that doesn't mean it is a reality.  College football is about MONEY. Usually winning brings in more $$$. PERIOD. We can have a class full of graduates and perfect angels, but if they go 3-9 in the season, heads will roll.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I want to win 10 games back to back at least once.  

That's asking too much. 

4 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

That's asking too much. 

If you can't do this but once every 25 years then you have a middle of the road program. Which AU seems to be. Across the board. High's of highs and the low of lows. Especially with at least 13 games now.  

Well this year I expect us to win at least 10 games. I expect us to beat UGA at home. We should have everything needed to be at the top of the division so I expect the SEC championship to come down to the iron bowl.

As far as the program, I find myself to be in line with the OP. I think we should have top 20 recruiting classes every year, consistently win 8-9 games a year, and mix in a very good season (play for an SEC championship) every 4-5 years with a playoff birth every decade. We should never lose more than 5 games (ever). 

While we have not been consistent, we have enjoyed more national success over the last 7 years than we have in the last 60 years. Like most here have stated it would be nice to have a few 10 win+ seasons in a row and be consistent, but if I had to choose our program or the LSU or UGA programs over the last decade I would choose ours every time. 

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

if I had to choose our program or the LSU or UGA programs over the last decade I would choose ours every time. 

And this statement is where the conflict lies. In the last decade our highs are higher than both of these teams but our lows are also seemingly significantly lower than those teams. 

I think I'd take inconsistency with championships than being consistently good but not winning any championships.

That is not to say we shouldn't strive to maintain a level of consistency in line with our highs but at least we can wave our hardware in the faces of those other schools.

On 5/4/2017 at 1:31 PM, lionheartkc said:

That is a direct reflection of the recruiting I was talking about. Coaches had a bad habit of riding the top guys they had for 4 years and only looking to replace them year 3 instead of picking up top guys every 1-2 years in all positions... except at running back.  We've always seemed to recruit high end talent there.

I think this is changing! I see us having depth at many areas besides running back, especially on d-line, and starting to see it at linebacker. I read quotes from Steele about replacing Monty and Lawson, how they would prepare for that type of scenario years in advance. I think we have the OC and DC we need in place to be very successful if we can keep them for a few years! Especially if Gus will let them coach (OC) and recruit the way they can! JMHO

27 minutes ago, toddc said:

I think this is changing! I see us having depth at many areas besides running back, especially on d-line, and starting to see it at linebacker.

I agree... the last two recruiting cycles it really seemed like Gus had figured out that you needed to replace your best guys before they were gone. 

54 minutes ago, toddc said:

I think this is changing! I see us having depth at many areas besides running back, especially on d-line, and starting to see it at linebacker. I read quotes from Steele about replacing Monty and Lawson, how they would prepare for that type of scenario years in advance. I think we have the OC and DC we need in place to be very successful if we can keep them for a few years! Especially if Gus will let them coach (OC) and recruit the way they can! JMHO

Yeah Man, I feel really confident of our DC and OC. Can't remember the last time I was like that.

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If you can't do this but once every 25 years then you have a middle of the road program. Which AU seems to be. Across the board. High's of highs and the low of lows. Especially with at least 13 games now.  

I definitely  don't consider us one of the elite programs in the sport.

On 5/5/2017 at 6:08 PM, augolf1716 said:

I was on the bowling team at Auburn. Lol does that qualify me as a players?

Probably not....

Anyways. I'm  the only person I know who  received a standing ovation for showing up to class.

Unfortunately my faculty advisor taught the class.

On 5/7/2017 at 10:41 PM, DAG said:

I believe the government should be all about the betterment of the people, but that doesn't mean it is a reality.  College football is about MONEY. Usually winning brings in more $$$. PERIOD. We can have a class full of graduates and perfect angels, but if they go 3-9 in the season, heads will roll.

I never said winning isn't important. I said it's not the only important thing. There is a difference. To hear some of you talk, you want to be UAT, not to be Auburn.

Archived