2018 4* S Myles Mason

ellitor

Myles Mason feels like priority at Auburn

The 4-star cornerback from Pleasant Grove (Ala.) downplays the Iron Bowl recruiting battle.

When asked how tough it would be for an out-of-state school to swoop in: “It wouldn’t be hard,” Mason said. “But I don’t plan on going nowhere far.”

The reality is that neither Auburn nor Alabama will let Mason leave the state. The question remains, however, whether the Crimson Tide are going to make a major push. All 11 Crystal Ball selections for Mason favor Alabama, but it remains to be seen if the Crimson Tide will make an extended effort to add Mason in the class.

That question doesn’t linger with Auburn.

“I feel like a priority a lot,” Mason said. “They’re basically saying that they need me.”

DSC_0004-5_qly0ym.jpg
Auburn safety target Myles Mason is ranked as the country’s No. 22 safety, according to 247Sports. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

In many senses, that’s true.

Auburn lacks depth at safety in 2017, and that only figures to get worse following the season. Mason is listed as the No. 252 overall prospect and No. 22 safety, according to the 247Sports composite rankings. The Tigers need to add multiple pieces at safety in the 2018 recruiting class, and there is no better place to start than the Birmingham-area prospect.

Auburn has made that point clear.

“They’re telling me that I have a great opportunity to come in and play early,” Mason said. “They’re losing safeties this year, so they’re telling me I have a great opportunity to come in. That’s important.”

He wants to make a decision by this summer.

For now, he doesn’t have any set-in-stone plans to return to Auburn. But he wants to get back before a final decision to continue building on his newfound relationship with Auburn defensive backs coach Greg Brown.

So far?

Archived