Spotlight on Jalen Harris

StatTiger

Based on the lack of use of the TE position in the passing game the past two seasons, seeing the TE's targeted 4 times during A-Day was refreshing for many Auburn fans. Though the TE position will likely be targeted more frequently in 2017, I don't expect to see a massive increase in passes thrown to the TE. This is based on Chip Lindsey's history of utilizing the TE in his passing game. Sal Cannella is more like a big bodied WR than an actual TE. Formation wise, he played more like a WR during A-Day, where as Jalen Harris lined up in the backfield and on the line next to the tackle. Lindsey's commitment on offense is utilizing all of his skill player, which will include the tightend.

The Play...

photo A-Day - Jalen Harris_zpslywfxwgg.jpg

During this offensive snap, the offense comes out in a 3-WR set, with Jalen Harris (TE) on the line adjacent to the left tackle. At the snap, Malik Willis scans his 2 WR's on the wide side of the field. The slot WR runs a short out, underneath the other WR which was the first targeted pass-play during the first snap by the No. 1 offense. As Willis looks off his intended target, Jalen Harris releases off the line to run a short curl route underneath the LB dropping into coverage. In frame #2, Malik Miller (RB) runs a swing route into the flat to pull one of the 2 LB's away from the middle of the field.

Jalen Harris curls inside but will spin back out towards the sideline as the ball is being thrown. Malik Willis delivers the pass to the outside shoulder of Harris, allowing the TE to spin outside and underneath the LB coming in for the tackle. Though the pass is only 2-yards, Harris is able to turn up field for a gain of 18-yards and a first down for the offense. In frame #6, the two WR's on the wide side, run outside routes to clear the middle of the field for the TE. I can see this play turning into a vertical route (perhaps a double-move) by the TE after a few short completions early on during the game.

• Like 4

Thanks Stat. I don't think he will have to hit the TE often just enough to make the D respect the potential and defend it. I guess that's the case for the passing game in general if you're a run first O. Personally, I would sure like to see some of those short crossing  routes utilized early and often.

Thanks Stat. 

Hopeful....based on recent history that' about all I say now....thanks for the views Stat....neat to look at that kind of analysis.

2 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Big year for JHarris and Sal IMO.

Or at least Harris. Per Chips comments, I don't know how much we'll see Sal if he doesn't bulk up and get better as a blocker.

12 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Or at least Harris. Per Chips comments, I don't know how much we'll see Sal if he doesn't bulk up and get better as a blocker.

because of his abilities, could he find his way out there as a WR during some of the 5 WR sets?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

because of his abilities, could he find his way out there as a WR during some of the 5 WR sets?

Maybe, but we have a lot of good wide receivers.  I'd rather he do what he needs to do to play his natural position. We need his hands at TE.

• Like 1

Guest WarEagleSteve
On 5/5/2017 at 0:31 PM, lionheartkc said:

Maybe, but we have a lot of good wide receivers.  I'd rather he do what he needs to do to play his natural position. We need his hands at TE.

I haven't seen him play so I don't know if the comparison is truly apt but based on his size we could potentially use Cannella the same way that Ole Miss used Evan Engram the past few years. 

11 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

I haven't seen him play so I don't know if the comparison is truly apt but based on his size we could potentially use Cannella the same way that Ole Miss used Evan Engram the past few years. 

I'm sure that's the plan, but Engram was a tight end. Chip wants him 20lbs heavier and blocking better before he's going to be happy with him at tight end.

Guest WarEagleSteve
6 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm sure that's the plan, but Engram was a tight end. Chip wants him 20lbs heavier and blocking better before he's going to be happy with him at tight end.

See, I'm not sure you could really classify Engram as a true tight end though. He's pretty undersized for the position and I don't recall him being all that effective a blocker. I always thought of him as more of a big-bodied receiver who lined up at tight end and he was a matchup nightmare in that capacity. I agree with you that Sal would have to bulk up a bit and improve his blocking to contribute as a true tight end but I'm curious if Chip has entertained the idea of using him in that hybrid TE/WR role that's become so popular lately. 

Whatever the "official" position, I'd still love to have a big bodied possession receiver to match the big play wideouts we have on the team.

22 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

We can only hope...If so it's GG for our opponents. He just needs to put on more muscle

4 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

See, I'm not sure you could really classify Engram as a true tight end though. He's pretty undersized for the position and I don't recall him being all that effective a blocker. I always thought of him as more of a big-bodied receiver who lined up at tight end and he was a matchup nightmare in that capacity. I agree with you that Sal would have to bulk up a bit and improve his blocking to contribute as a true tight end but I'm curious if Chip has entertained the idea of using him in that hybrid TE/WR role that's become so popular lately. 

Could be... and the quote from Chip I read could have been totally taken out of context, but it sounded like he was giving the requirements for Sal seeing the field.

Guest WarEagleSteve
1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

lots of it but I can see good things if he works on it

I definitely agree. Having a physical, big bodied pass catcher who can consistently make tough, contested catches is always a plus. Admittedly I've only been watching Auburn football since about 2004 or so but other than 2014 Duke Williams, I can't recall Auburn having that sort of player on the roster very often. 

11 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

I definitely agree. Having a physical, big bodied pass catcher who can consistently make tough, contested catches is always a plus. Admittedly I've only been watching Auburn football since about 2004 or so but other than 2014 Duke Williams, I can't recall Auburn having that sort of player on the roster very often. 

Agreed. I mentioned TZach the other day. He was that kind of player. Marquis McClain might be that kind of guy. NCM, too. And Davis, if he ever makes it back. 

But we really do need a TE who can make plays. 

• Like 1